New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 39 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil (IC): Thread 2

(( Okay, since there may be a decision that affects what kind of assistance you may seek from Jaroo (the druid), I’m not gonna fast forward that far, but you will see Elmo. ))

Inn of the Welcome Wench: Planting 9, Night

It’s hard to get a lead on Elmo. He’s apparently been very busy during the day and as his business can be anywhere around town, it is easy to loose track of him. Fortunately, though, Elmo seems to be interested in his usual nightcap, even if it is belated, and shows up at the bar on his own and is pleasantly surprised to see Haunor there..

Elmo makes a point of talking to Haunor first, taking him to a corner where he can have a more private conversation. As Tell observes the conversation, it seems like Elmo has more surprises for Haunor than the other way around, given each one’s reactions.

After the better part of an hour’s conversation, Elmo approaches Tell.

“Haunor tells me you performed well at the Moathouse, so I’m willing to overlook the events of our last meeting if you still want to help out here,” he says as he sits down and signals to Vesta for a mug of ale.

“First, I want to let you know that Burne will be sending some Badgers to retrieve Kevril and the other militia members from the Moathouse tomorrow morning.” He explains that Burne is one of the town elders that lives in the keep on the edge of town. He and his partner Rufus operate a small mercenary group called Burne’s Badgers. The Badgers’ duties mostly involve guarding the keep, but they have been known to run short missions like the one they will be on tomorrow.

“Now, if you’re interested in looking for more signs of those bastards from the Moathouse, here’s what I found out:

“That journal you retrieved made mention of a flourmill. So I went to check out Karlun’s mill. Unfortunately, Karlun wasn’t around. Some of the workers there told me he had been letting some of his friends stay in the cellar there, though. Problem is, when I checked out the cellar, it looks like they had already packed up and moved on.

“I went to Karlun’s house to see if he could tell me more about his ‘friends,’ but neither he nor his wife were there. In fact, I haven’t been able to find them at all since then. They seem to have disappeared along with Karlun’s ‘friends.’

“So we have one possible citizen conspiring with these people. Another possible conspirator is Yundi, Jaroo Ashstaff’s assistant. I talked with Jaroo, who has been worried about Yundi’s activities for some time. And now, even Yundi has disappeared.

“Now, with all these disappearing people, I don’t know if they’re gone for good or are still around somwhere. If the former, well, good riddance. Otherwise, I want them found. If you think you can track any of them down, I give you leave to do so.”
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ettin in the Playground

While Tell is talking to Elmo, a colorfully clad man with a light-brown beard approaches Grigor between songs.

“Ah, nice to see a fellow performer. But this is usually my time. I hope Vesta hasn’t replaced me,” he says with a big grin.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Megiddo walks in as Tell is speaking with Elmo, and walks up, quietly listening to the conversation.

"Tracking down a novice druid could be a difficult task."
    Aratos Tell
    HP:53/53 AC:19,FlatFooted:16,Touch:13
    Active Effects: Speak w/Animals
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    HP:26/26 PP: 40/40 AC:14,FlatFooted:13,Touch:13
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ettin in the Playground

Tell

Tell nods a greeting to Megiddo. "Depends," he says. "Elmo, we found some priests of a strange religion out there. Evil stuff. If people in town were helping them, they might have taken them as a sacrifice. Feeding wolves just makes them hungrier."

He pauses. "Do you think Jaroo would help us at all?"
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ettin in the Playground

“Well, I’ve already checked all the places Jaroo thought Yundi might be hiding,” Elmo replies with a frown. “Truth be told, Yundi wasn’t raised in Hommlet. He first came here when he started his apprenticeship a few years ago. If he wants to disappear, he doesn’t have much to keep him here. But if you have any other questions, he could help.” Elmo takes a long sip from his mug of ale. “But he didn’t know Karlun very well, so he probably won’t have much insight there, unless he’s found something with his magic.”

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ettin in the Playground

"I thought more like he might come with us to fight these crazies. If his apprentice is in danger he might have an interest. Don't know if he is the type though?"
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ettin in the Playground

“Oh, if Hommlet is in danger, you can count on Jaroo.” Elmo’s voice drips with intense sincerity. The militia leader suddenly smiles, “But we have to find our opponent before we can worry about fighting.”

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shhalahr Windrider View Post
    While Tell is talking to Elmo, a colorfully clad man with a light-brown beard approaches Grigor between songs.

“Ah, nice to see a fellow performer. But this is usually my time. I hope Vesta hasn’t replaced me,” he says with a big grin.
    Grigor smiles as he puts away his instrument and answers "Oh, don't worry about me, I'm but a wandering swordsman who pays back a debt to the Laughing Rogue by bringing some joy to the people."

Grigor gestures to the bar. "Come, if I cost you some tips here, it is only fair I spring for a drink, eh?" he says and starts walking over.
    "I don't function in society. I'm a mercenary. I blow society up."

Cpl. Shore Pibald, Schlock Mercenary.

Quote Originally Posted by NecroRebel View Post
    ... Music ... causes Bards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riffington View Post
    Bah. Lycar is absolutely right.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Ettin in the Playground

“Hah, hah! I think I like you, friend,” the man follows Grigor over to the bar and orders a Sundish lilac wine (( 4 sp )). “Name’s Redithidoor Halfmoon.”

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"I'm grigor. Just Grigor. And I'll be having what you are having. Must be the good stuff after all." he shoves a gold coin over the counter and raises his own glass for a toast.

"That's how you find out what the good stuff is: Invite a regular patron to a drink. So, let us raise our glasses to the arts and the joy of imbibing tasteful spirits!"

"I'm here to meet a person by the name of Todariche. I've been told he is a sage with a lot of knowledge. But certainly a bard like you possesses his own treasure trove of knowledge. Mind if I ask you a few things?"

11. - Top - End - #401
    Ettin in the Playground

“Oh, it’s one of the more affordable good wines here. I didn’t want to abuse your hospitality, after all. If you want some of the real good stuff, Vesta can hook you up with some Velunan fireamber or Urnst brandy,” Redithidoor says in response to Grigor’s comment about the good stuff.

“So, what else do you need to know?”

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Grigor, human cleric

Grigor is happy to have made the acquaintance of the bard. Surely he will know some answers... unless... he is meant to get answers for someone else...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive - (1d20+8)[22]

"Indeed, there are a few things me and the lads want to figure out. For example what this symbol means..."

Grigor goes ahead and describes the (un)holy symbol they found on the dead evil clerics in the moathouse.

"That, and if you just happen to know a bit of the history of that old moathouse, well, I'd be happy to keep your throat well lubricated tonight." offers Grigor, smiling friendly. If anything, he gets a good excuse to keep his own throat well lubricated that way. It's win-win.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ettin in the Playground

Redithidoor clicks his tongue a few times while thinking about Grigor’s description of the symbol. “Can’t say that sounds familiar, I’m sorry to say,” he replies with a frown.

However, once Grigor mentions the Moathouse, Redithidoor’s face lights up with genuine excitement. “You’re going down to the Moathouse?! Why I’ve been looking for someone to go exploring that place with myself. There’s something going on down there, I just know it!”

(( Yeah, the Sense Motive check puts the “genuine” in that bit about “genuine excitement.” ))

14. - Top - End - #404
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Grigor, human cleric

"Humm..." mutters Grigor, stroking his beard. Should he really tell Redithidoor about the latest events at the moathouse...

"Something going down there? Isn't it just a ruin these days?" he asks, deciding to be a bit sneaky and bait the bard for a bit more information before putting his own cards on the table, so to speak.

Hey, Olidamarra isn't the Laughing Rogue for nothing...

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ettin in the Playground

“Ruins do have a habit of attracting those looking for hidden wealth or worse,” Redithidoor responds with a chuckle. “As it is, I myself am curious about the place. So I was down there about ten days ago. I saw some shapes moving in the shadows and heard some strange noises. I didn’t want to go in without anyone to help if there was trouble, so I don’t know what it was or if it’s still there. But it bears investigation, don’t you think?”

(( Do Tell and Megiddo have anything else to say to Elmo? ))
    Last edited by Shhalahr Windrider; 2010-09-28 at 01:39 PM.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Ettin in the Playground

Tell nods at the captain. "Sure," he says noncomittally.

Once the captain has left he turns to Megiddo and says, "I guess I should sleep indoors tonight. Or you could join me in the temple hedge. But strength in numbers.... someone around here doesn't like us."

((I am curious whether Grigor's new friend noticed the giant black dragon at all.))
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2010-09-29 at 01:03 PM.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ettin in the Playground

“Hmm? And who would that be?”

(( Wasn’t the dragon green? ))

18. - Top - End - #408
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

(I remember it being black as well, but it could have been green. both have acid breath)

Megiddo has nothing to add to the conversation, and will pay for his room and go upstairs to begin his meditation.
    Aratos Tell
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

19. - Top - End - #409
    Ettin in the Playground

((I could be misremembering.))

Tell doesn't pay for a room, but goes upstairs and joins Megiddo in his. He's respectfully quiet during the meditation, indeed seems to be doing something similar himself, and he sleeps on his cloak on the floor.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ettin in the Playground

(( Well, I just checked the thread, and it looks like the only place I actually remembered to mention its color was in Del’s description. He thought it was green. The stat block I used says green. And the image I used on the map was of a green dragon…

Anyway, I guess Megiddo and Tell are willing to call it a night. Got much else you want to get out of Redithidoor, Lycar? ))

21. - Top - End - #411
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Grigor, human cleric

Grigor smirks "Funny you should say that... as a matter of fact, yesterday I was wandering down the road that happens to go past the old moathouse when I met some other travelers who wanted to do the very same thing. Adventurous soul that I am I joined them. And guess what? We met some more adventurers and even some men from your local militia who were also poking around that place. Small world, eh?"

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ettin in the Playground

“Militia?” Redithidoor’s voice carries a plainly incredulous tone. “You’re just pulling my leg here. They don’t go down there unless there’s something obvious that’s after the village.”
    Last edited by Shhalahr Windrider; 2010-09-30 at 07:59 PM.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Grigor, human cleric

Grigor shrugs "You could ask Elmo about it if you don't believe me. Err... that reminds me... you don't happen to know a way to undo the effects of a cockatrice's bite?"

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ettin in the Playground

“Huh? Cockatrice? Why do you ask that?” Redithidoor strokes his beard in confusion as he asks that question.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Grigor, human cleric

"Oh that would be because one of Elmo's men got... stoned... "

"... as in: Petrified." says Grigor and stares at Redithidoor, unblinking.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ettin in the Playground

“Oh. Uh… Really?” Redithidoor asks. “Well, I think that’s something you’d need some pretty strong magic for. I can’t really help there.”

27. - Top - End - #417
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

[the next morning?]

Megiddo's meditations bore great fruit that night, revealing secrets great and powerful, of the workings of the power of his inner being, and secrets of the true workings of magic. He quickly pulls out his spellbook and begins to write, as much as he can before the true knowledge of the universe that the unconscious mind reveals leaves his mind in the moments of waking clarity.

His thoughts then turn towards the business at hand, and he reads over what knowledge he has gained, and what useful power can be put towards the goals of the present.

As Tell stirs (or is already awoken, as is more likely), Megiddo speaks to him from behind his spellbook. "We have gathered a few enchanted items in our recent travels. My mystical resources are sufficient to identify as many as four of them today, although I only have the coin to purchase reagants sufficient for one such divination. I believe this mace and this rapier we took from that traitorous bard are among them. Which items have priority in this task?"
    Last edited by Skjaldbakka; 2010-10-05 at 11:54 AM.
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Grigor, human cleric

"You aren't just helping me, you are helping Kevril. That is the guy who got petrified. And you are helping his mother and father and children and siblings and Elmo and whoever else cares about him. Yeah. But hey, maybe we'll find something to turn him back eventually. But hey, better stoned then dead."

Grigor looks the bard over and ponders "You know, there are a few things in that dungeon that need exploring. And you are a knowledgeable person. How about you come with me to that seer tomorrow. Then you can hear about our exploits in that dank hole and what we found there, how about it?"

"As for now... Hey barkeep, two more of thoseif you please."

The evening may not be the youngest anymore, but that doesn't mean one can't have another drink. Or two or three.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ettin in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil (IC): Thread 2

The bard grins broadly. “Well, I think I’ll take you up on that!”

After Grigor orders the drinks, Redithidoor nudges him. “Be sure to get another two for yourself, too. Ha-ha!”

(( So I take it that’s it for the plot-important stuff tonight, Lycar? ))

30. - Top - End - #420
    Ettin in the Playground

Grigor and Redithidoor share a few more drinks before the bard takes the stage. Redithidoor does his best to entertain the patrons with a number of light-hearted songs on his recorder and telling a few almost-funny jokes between pieces. His skill with the recorder, while fluent and enjoyable, seems to be missing a certain amount of soul.

Inn of the Welcome Wench: Planting 10, Morning

Morning comes, and Megiddo, Tell, and Grigor must complete their plans for the day.