New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Thanatos's Tharmturges Present: Tropical, Tipsy, and Typically Random Banter #127

I got a tendum jump for graduating high school.... >.>
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

2. - Top - End - #182
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Thanatos's Tharmturges Present: Tropical, Tipsy, and Typically Random Banter #127

Good grades=/=good education.
    Personally, I got money if I did well on my standardized college admission tests, and that's it.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    Your parents are foolish generous. I got no kind of reward for my results at any stage of my education.
    It was sort of an added motivation is what my dad said.

And he said my sister would get the same kind of deal when she finishes her GCSEs.
    This avatar pierces the heavens and is by Miss Nobody!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan
    Yes, but that's Fred. He radiates awesomeness.

"Whether it be impossible or laughable, Great men open up paths of battle! If there's a wall, we break it down! If there's no path, we'll make one with these hands! The heart's magma burns with flames!"

By Recaiden.
    Inner Circle

4. - Top - End - #184
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin89 View Post
    Isn't a good education enough of a reward?
    Not in a subject as thoroughly useless as latin
    "Sacrifing minions: is there any problem it CAN'T solve?"

5. - Top - End - #185

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin89 View Post
    Isn't a good education enough of a reward?
    The grades were the result of my good education, so that wouldn't really make sense.
    Well, I suppose the extension of my good education by me getting into 6th form and uni counts, but whatever.

Anyway, the thing is, that's my point. You get good grades, you get the benefits of having gotten good grades with regards to further education and future job opportunities. Monetary rewards should not be necessary, because I didn't get any, so I don't see why other people should.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground

I just sprayed peach juice all over my computer from laughing.

...My parents didn't believe in monetary rewards for good behavior (but they also don't believe in grades, and I didn't ever get any till 10th grade when I started going to school, at which point I was old enough to decide whether I was going to do well or not try. I did well. ).

I did get charged a dollar every time I hit my brother, though. And vice versa.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ettin in the Playground

I guess I just have generous parents. Different parents have different styles of parents. If my parents want to give monetary rewards to me and my sister, that's there decision. If your parents don't want to give monetary rewards to you, well that's their decision, and you have to deal with it, because until you leave home, what they say is pretty much final.

If people could make it so that other people couldn't have things just because the original person doesn't have those things then everyone would have nothing in the end.
    Last edited by Fredthefighter; 2009-09-04 at 04:46 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Whether it be impossible or laughable, Great men open up paths of battle! If there's a wall, we break it down! If there's no path, we'll make one with these hands! The heart's magma burns with flames!"

By Recaiden.
    Inner Circle

8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

I was never given any sort of fiscal guidance besides the vague "save your money" stuff. Doesn't matter, I'm tightfisted as hell.
    Spoiler
    Show
    <-I won this from Dr. Bath.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fredthefighter View Post
    I guess I just have generous parents. Different parents have different styles of parents. If my parents want to give monetary rewards to me and my sister, that's there decision. If your parents don't want to give monetary rewards to you, well that's their decision, and you have to deal with it, because until you leave home, what they say is pretty much final.

If people could make it so that other people couldn't have things just because the original person doesn't have those things then everyone would have nothing in the end.
    Um...I wasn't criticising your parents, Fred. And I have left home now, although still under their auspices, as they're paying for my (very expensive) eddumacation....

They did give me money every month to buy my own clothes and stuff and teach me budgeting. It didn't entirely go as planned, though, because instead of setting money aside every month, I just saved it all and shopped exclusively at thrift stores.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Um...I wasn't criticising your parents, Fred. And I have left home now, although still under their auspices, as they're paying for my (very expensive) eddumacation....

They did give me money every month to buy my own clothes and stuff and teach me budgeting. It didn't entirely go as planned, though, because instead of setting money aside every month, I just saved it all and shopped exclusively at thrift stores.
    I was mainly talking to Thufir. And the white text. But I guess it still stands... sort of.

And I don't get pocket money off of my parents. And I've had saving my money hammered into my skull. All I get each week is money for my karate lessons. I get to keep the change (all Ł3 of it). So in effect, I make Ł3 to Ł10 a week, depending on whether I go to karate that week or not. So while my parents are quite generous when I succeed, at other times they are very tight with their money, just like me.

In fact, the only big purchases I've ever made are:
    My GBA SP (Ł120 with two games).
    My PS3 (Ł280 with two games).
    That's it for massive purchases.
    Spoiler
    Show

By Recaiden.
    Inner Circle

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

I bought my laptop for $550 two years ago.

Well...supposedly my mum and dad paid for half of it but what really happened is that I paid for all of it and they gave me an IOU for $225, which I've never called in.

12. - Top - End - #192

Well, I need to get back to my student house which has no internet. So adieu.
    I leave you with this, and as your god I insist that you read it this time:

I win on singing.
    To be more precise, I've been singing Handel's Messiah for 7 consecutive days and have 2 more to go. Britlanders, listen to Radio 3 at 6:30 on sunday and know that I am there, singing in the Royal Albert Hall with 300 other members of assorted youth choirs from around the country.
    It's going to be awesome.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ettin in the Playground

I bought my laptop for $550 two years ago.

Well...supposedly my mum and dad paid for half of it but what really happened is that I paid for all of it and they gave me an IOU for $225, which I've never called in.
    My laptop was an early christmas present.
    In fact, most of my stuff is early presents and minor things I've bought with my own money. Most of my games are presents, most of my books were bought with gift cards or as presents and even my Nintendo DS was an early christmas present. Yay for using Christmas to my advantage!

EDIT: Thufir, I can't promise that I'll have the radio turned on/remember, but I'll try and listen (if I can remember what frequency BBC Radio 3 is anyway).
    Last edited by Fredthefighter; 2009-09-04 at 05:02 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

By Recaiden.
    Inner Circle

14. - Top - End - #194
    Bugbear in the Playground

My much-loved laptop was a gift around last May. I had been wanting one for a while, and my parents were finally convinced that I needed one for school and general use. Things have been so much easier since I got one, fighting over the computer is now a thing of the past!

Funny that I quit MMORPGs just a month or so before I was no longer in danger of being kicked off of the computer during a team thing.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alteran View Post
    My much-loved laptop was a gift around last May. I had been wanting one for a while, and my parents were finally convinced that I needed one for school and general use. Things have been so much easier since I got one, fighting over the computer is now a thing of the past!

Funny that I quit MMORPGs just a month or so before I was no longer in danger of being kicked off of the computer during a team thing.
    High five!

I rarely ever have to fight for a computer. Mainly because my sister has her own computer. But before my laptop.... GRRRRR, well, let's just say that my sister seemed to prefer my computer to hers for some reason, despite the fact that hers was faster anyway.
    Spoiler
    Show

By Recaiden.
    Inner Circle

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

My brother and sister both have laptops. I don't. I have a desktop. It's big and black and powered by the awesome given off by my beard.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    My brother and sister both have laptops. I don't. I have a desktop. It's big and black and powered by the awesome given off by my beard.
    Woah. That is awesome. *Bows down*
    Spoiler
    Show

By Recaiden.
    Inner Circle

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Hey! A Thread that looks like fun! I wanna try it!

I don't have a laptop, but I am basically the sole user in my household of our massive (very very massive) G5 Mac Desktop, so its almost like I have my own computer. In fact, for most of the summer, I have had TWO of my own computers, since our poor, neglected Frankenstein PC was also infrequently used by my family. When school starts up next week, though, I'm sure my sister will need to use it a lot, so I'll be back down to one computer.
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

19. - Top - End - #199

Quote Originally Posted by Fredthefighter View Post
    High five!

I rarely ever have to fight for a computer. Mainly because my sister has her own computer. But before my laptop.... GRRRRR, well, let's just say that my sister seemed to prefer my computer to hers for some reason, despite the fact that hers was faster anyway.
    *high five*

I had, on occasion, fallen asleep waiting for my mother to finish with the computer. I'm not sure how past-me survived.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_Elf View Post
    Hey! A Thread that looks like fun! I wanna try it!
    Shadow! It's about damn time!

I'm on the last of the Dao, I should have them mailed to you within the hour.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alteran View Post
    Shadow! It's about damn time!

I'm on the last of the Dao, I should have them mailed to you within the hour.
    Speaking of when its about damn time...
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

21. - Top - End - #201

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_Elf View Post
    Speaking of when its about damn time...
    Who, me?

Couldn't be. *shifty eyes*

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

I have both a desktop and a laptop. I tend to have them both open at the same time.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Troll in the Playground

I have a mac.

*runs*

24. - Top - End - #204

Quote Originally Posted by Moff Chumley View Post
    I have a mac.

*runs*
    I should have known. *pulls out a bat, and starts following him at a walking pace* You can't run forever, you know.

-Slayer Draco Doll by Recaiden

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ettin in the Playground

I have a mac.

*runs*
    Suckaaaaaaaaaaaa.

...so does my roommate.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Slayer Draco View Post
    I should have known. *pulls out a bat, and starts following him at a walking pace* You can't run forever, you know.
    Or can I? *hops into hippie bus*

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

I did get charged a dollar every time I hit my brother, though. And vice versa.
    Do you get to pre-pay? "I just gave mom $5, so behave or else!"
    "'Intelligence' is really prolific in the world. So is stupidity. So often they occur in the same people." - Phaedra
    Pyrian's LiveJournal

28. - Top - End - #208
    Barbarian in the Playground

Or can I? *hops into hippie bus*
    Look out for the spike strips and landmines!
    Recaiden made the mime doll.

Spoiler: Nexus Characters
    Show

29. - Top - End - #209

Quote Originally Posted by billtodamax View Post
    Look out for the spike strips and landmines!
    He'll figure it out on his own.

-Slayer Draco Doll by Recaiden

30. - Top - End - #210
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

2) Coidzor thinks Cornwall is in Wales?
    Well, to be honest, I usually just think Cornwall, Wales, and Northumbria are all next to one another. All sort of squashed together like it is over there where things are all small.

So you just overloaded on thrift store clothes or you actually built up a fair chunk of change?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide