New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Total War 2260 (IC)

"In an effort to avoid the ethical debate of citing human nature as the cause of piracy, I would like to point out key monopolies governments have over whatever backwater safeholds pirates consider their port of call. While none rule the void, the planets are under our sway, and as such none who participate in or cooperate with pirates would be able to breath air that didn't taste recycled, let alone see the open sky or feel the rainfall. Human nature detests a prison, and after so long a cramped frigate can feel exactly like that." It should be noted that Matriarch Tia never sat down after her initial suggestion.

"With all due respect, this idea is not folly. Granted, it is impossible to completely eliminate crime from the frontier. However, pursuing the impossible does not mean toiling in vain. Efforts to combat piracy will show progress, and such progress would be worth the effort. Especially when the alternative is to just roll over and take it, as some may suggest." Now she sits down. She'll be staring at Ricardo, though. Her transparent inner eyelids will be shut, creating an illusion that she will never blink.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Halfling in the Playground

Griffon

Confernce Room A

The Commissar sat listening nodding once in a while. Saladin nudged Caius, "Listen I didn't come here to listen to people talk all day, I came here to tell you that he is awake."Saladin spoke with a flat voice that everyone even barely listening could hear. The Commissar's face went pale, he turned his head slowly to Saladin and spoke, "Thats bad really bad, bad news for us, and any nation with robots or religon, there is a reason that they put him there in the first place, well looks like well be going to war with ourselve and fraking over this peace conference."As he spoke his voice got higher and everyone should have heard him, he rose suddenly walked over and silently requested make a slight interuption if the other nations did not mind.
    Total War Forum
    "That is a low world opinion. Beyond mere hate. If the world found out where your base was, everyone would attack you immedietly." -razovor

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Not to sound naive but who is awake?
    Quote Originally Posted by ToySoldierCPlus View Post
    Now you're attempting to model physics when arguing your case for armor made by a guy who explicitly tells the laws of physics to sit down and shut up whenever he starts tinkering stacking with regular armor. Stop that.
    Miny city!
    Industrial miny city!
    transportation!
    round one, fight!

4. - Top - End - #94
    Barbarian in the Playground

Aboard the Goldenfever-Conference Room A

"I would ask that you remain seated on your respective platforms during the conference, Commissar."

The General watched the man closely. He did not like this sudden outburst.

And what interruption are you dabbling about? And who on the Motherworld is awake?"
    Last edited by Edwin; 2009-09-17 at 03:04 PM.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Orc in the Playground

Conference Room A

Captain Harry stands up. "Not all members of DANPART want power. Some are wanted for crimes they did not commit, others want glory, some are on the run from crimes they did commit, some don't like other, existing cultures, and so on. But not everybody wants power. And people will endure what they must endure to survive; man loathes a cage, but anybody in a colony controlled by DANPART is free to leave whenever they like; there's communal enviro-suits, airlocks, everything. Weapons aren't allowed outside, however, to prevent confusion during an attack." His overalls are his best; faded orange, with several stains from different substances.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

6. - Top - End - #96

Griffon

The Commissar takes his seat, but is very very pale. "Umm..ahh"The Commissar stammer until he is pushed down by Saladin. Pardon my Commissar's sudden out burst, he will be very careful, the matter are not that pressing we shall wait our turn."Saladin take his seat, and Caius looks at him gravely."Are you fraking me, Not pressing...this could mean.."Saladin look at the commissar intensely and the commissar slumps back into his chair. "Please forgive me, and my appologies to those nations my Commissar interupted."

To Grey: (ooc)
    Spoiler
    Show
    OOC:Take note that Saladin is a Phyic and if his pressence his felt when he make the commissar "relax". Also who else is a Phyic? so conversation my go unnoticed.
    Last edited by IrrationalSpork; 2009-09-17 at 04:00 PM.
    Total War Forum
    "That is a low world opinion. Beyond mere hate. If the world found out where your base was, everyone would attack you immedietly." -razovor

7. - Top - End - #97

Erik gives his own, bitterly sarcastic chuckle at Ricardo's speech.

Hah. Such a fair and just speech, coming from the man who could only be the representative of the Sanguine Consortium. And DANPART! Of course you don't support the anti-piracy measures! That would undermine your entire form of government!

The SRS representative begins to shout, frustrated at the presence of the representatives of the two illegal factions.

"If this is a peace conference, a meeting of the minds to remove space piracy and warfare from our nations, then why are the representatives of the factions that practice these acts here? We can't very well tell their diplomats that 'well, we're trying to remove your faction's way of life'! They will try to undermine the efforts of regulating space piracy, whatever way we do so."

Representative Erik calms down slightly.

"However, I, and I suppose Pandora itself apologizes, to the representatives of those two factions.

I simply find it absurd to have the factions that practice the very thing we are trying to crush onboard this peace conference. So instead, I feel I must ask them a question: If you were required to regulate piracy between the planets, space, space warfare, etc, how would you do it? How would you justly and fairly decrease the amount of piracy in the solar system?"
    Rational Goblin Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

Ixtlan, World of Exploration, my campaign setting. Currently on hiatus.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Conference

Ricardo smiles and listens to the others speak "To comment directly to you" he states as Erik finishes "I was not speaking ou, just pointing out what I believe to be flaws in a plan in the making"

he shrugs "As to why I am here, it is to observe and listen and to speak. I have as much of a right as anyone else to attend, to lend my voice. I, in fact, am here to take a side opposing the anti-piracy laws"

he shrugs slightly "I'm sure you are floored by that relevation, but since my group has stake in the matter in is only fair that the other side of the story is heard"
    She's Shona Han. Disappearing for a hundred years just means she's had a hundred years to plan. Trying to find out what happened to her is just going to draw her attention.

Then it's a good thing Greystone can KICK REASON TO THE CURB AND GO BEYOND THE IMPOSSIBLE!
    - SurlySeraph

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

Conference

Ibrahim clears his throat. "I am more concerned about Earth's affairs than off-world piracy, but crime is crime. Men should not prey on each other for cash out in the void, whether they call themselves pirates or bounty hunters. Pirates are, and hunters would be, unaligned forces accountable to nothing but their own greed. If we want to end piracy - which, Ricardo aside, most of us do - the only way is to set up an organized force capable of protecting the weak. However, I have no vested interest in stopping piracy, so if those at greater risk disagree with my assessment I will not push for such a plan."

Ibrahim then turns to the Midgardian delegation. "Now, to Earthly affairs. Mr. Saladin, am I to understand that your nation's founder is awake? The, uh, the shaman?" Ibrahim sounds a bit contemptuous at the word "shaman." "And I do believe your Commissar mentioned the possibility of a civil war. Please elaborate on this, Saladin. I do not want to see any nation of the Earth plunged into conflict."
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

10. - Top - End - #100

Aboard the Goldenfever-Conference Room A

"The reason the representatives of DANPART and the Consortium have been invited, Master Erik, is that we can't hope to succesfully stop piracy by a simple trade embargo or a task force."

The General smiles. "No. We must go to the roots of the problem - hence our shady friends."

Turning his attention to Ibrahim, the general makes a sweeping towards the Mingardian Empire representatives. "I agree, Ibrahim, I find this matter of an awaking shaman to be most pressing. Please elaborate, dear Commissar."

11. - Top - End - #101
    Orc in the Playground

Aboard the Goldenfever; Conference Room A

"I did not agree with the statement that all pirates are greedy. I don't think robots can be greedy, and DANPART has lots of those; there's even robotic Captains. I don't think piracy can ever be truely conquered, and even if it was, DANPART would still exist. Or would you persecute those who fleed overcrowded worlds and now roam the galaxy harming no one? And what of the Rogue Traders, who deal in the Black and Grey markets? No, DANPART may become DANART, but it will always exist."

"But to decrease the amount of space piracy, I think the best way to do that is to destroy some of our bases. Not all of our bases, because if all the hidden colonies used by DANPART, and possibly the Consortium as well, then the pirates who were in space when they were destroyed would set up new ones. And there may be war within DANPART, and a full-fledged pirate war won't be good for anybody, not the pirates, not the nomads, not the Rogue Traders, and certainly not the merchants using the space lanes the war will be fought."

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

"You have a point; not all pirates are greedy. Some are meerly sadistic. Your words trouble me, though. You make it sound as though your organization is exclusively responsible for all piracy in the system." Matriarch Tia's eyes flit from Ricardo to the DANPART representative, her mind much more interested in the threat to the food supplies of her people than political celebrity gossip.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Orc in the Playground

Conference Room A

"We don't control all the pirates, nomads or rogue traders, but there's more affiliated with DANPART than not, excluding those in the Sanguine Consortium. And I don't know of any hidden colonies which aren't funded, used and economically reliant upon DANPART. And, as I mentioned, some pirates are wanted for crimes they may or may not have commited."

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

All three members of the Clutch are now glaring at the DANPART representative with unblinking eyes. "If they didn't commit the crimes, then they aren't actually pirates. Since this discussion seems in danger of being derailed in favor of talking about some cult icon coming out of retirement, I'd at least like to get assurances that we don't need to fear for the merchants that keep my people from starving in the streets. I don't care what brought the individuals to the pirate organizations that have been invited here, anyone who would steal food from a child's mouth is a criminal in my eyes."

15. - Top - End - #105
    Orc in the Playground

Conference Room A

"They might not have committed the crimes they were originally wanted for. And don't worry; most pirates only attack merchant vessals they know either contains stuff with a high price or very useful items that are hard to produce, and a lot of hidden colonies grow their own food. Some can't, but be more worried about rogue traders exporting food to the more remote colonies or some of Antarctica's freezing cities. Venus receives food regularly, something some colonies and cities don't get."

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Ricardo smiles at the idea that DANPART may control all of the piracy in the region of space, but says nothings, eyes moving lazily between the arguing groups.
    She's Shona Han. Disappearing for a hundred years just means she's had a hundred years to plan. Trying to find out what happened to her is just going to draw her attention.

Then it's a good thing Greystone can KICK REASON TO THE CURB AND GO BEYOND THE IMPOSSIBLE!
    - SurlySeraph

17. - Top - End - #107

World Conference

While the arguments fly across the room, a shadow falls over the bubble that is the room. It's quickly understood by all members present that this shadow originates from the outside, and they all look up. And find a ship. With all weapons armed and ready, aimed directly at the bubble. They are mostly machine-guns, though huge, and they have only just begun to spin up. Several delegates manage to get up from their seats, and run toward the exit, before the guns starts firing. The glass was armored, but the bullets were designed to penetrate the hulls of ships and so managed to rip through the glass. The air start gushing out through every hole that's created by these large rounds, and the bullets themselves manage to either hit or ricochet off the floor into several delegates. However, the blast shields are quickly in place and manage to hold in air, and keep out the bullets.

The huge ship soon shudders as explosions hit it in many places. No severe damage, though it would seem that the enemy ship only wanted a distraction to be able to escape unharmed. It disappeared into space soon after firing the charges. Reports of at least two other ships were soon received, though these had far worse luck than the first. They only managed to shoot some holes in the hull before being obliterated, though the damage dealt to them looked to have been less than what was needed to make them explode. They might have destroyed themselves rather than face the now very pissed off people they just shot at.

After the initial shock is over, damage is assessed, and everyone wants to know what happened. The following members were injured: Erik (a broken arm), the Commissar (a piece of metal lodged in the leg), and several attachment members of the delegates. The following members were killed (instantly or quickly enough that the medical personnel could not get to them in time): Ricardo (large metal piece right through his head) and Ratana (a bullet hit her directly in the abdomen). A few guards were killed as well. Everyone else just got minor wounds or scratches, none of which are life threatening in any way.

The ship itself took only minor damage, excluding the now less than usable conference room.

(These can't be read by anyone but the receiver, regardless of espionage.)

Edwin:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your ship's cameras captured several images of the intruder ship. It was pained black to better disguise itself in space, the weapons and parts of the ship seems to have come from various nations. The only faction known to use ships like these are DANPART. Whether you share this information with the living delegates is up to you.

Earl of Purple:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Though the glimpse of that ship was short, years of experience helped you recognize it. There can be no mistake, that was one of DANPART's pirates. Several weapons and other parts were clearly recognized as things you regularly use, steal and trade in. What you do with this information is up to you.

Those who lost a character to this:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can introduce a new 'main player' if you want to. I'm afraid that some had to die for the attack to be remotely realistic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greystone View Post
    No fair framing me for something that looks like something i'd actually do!
    Currently practicing the art of pushing boredom to the point where it turns into a psychedelic drug.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Orc in the Playground

Aboard the Goldenfever

The pirates of the Lady Blue rush to their ship, where they start to prep her for take-off. They don't take off, however; just get ready for the order.

Attack on Conference Room A

Captain Harry and his communications officer both survive, relatively unharmed. Probably because Harry's so paranoid his personal shield was not only being worn, but also actually turned on. The security officer wasn't so lucky, but he could probably be repaired easily. I did say he could be a very good android; he was. "Lucy, get to the Lady Blue and send a message to N2-A for the ears of Commander Barry; I think we're in his sector. And if the crew find out, you'll go through the airlock. Got me?" As he said this, he pressed a small, handwritten note into her hand and she ran off to the ship.

19. - Top - End - #109

Griffon

Aboard Alpha Omega Battlebarge:

After returning to the safety of the Empire's Fortress ship, and dropping the commissar and the med-tech's lab, Saladin proceded to his private quarters and sits at his desk were he writes a few letters

To MCU(edwin) and Ibrahim:
    Spoiler
    Show
    After we were rudely interupted at the conference, I will continue on what the Commissar, was speaking of. The Shaman king, was before my time, in the time of the First Emperor. He toke control of the land we currently control and wanted to expand further, and would have taking the whole world if our first Emperor put he into the crystal tomb, which is a high-tech tomb of sorts. He was know for his hate of religion and self-aware AI or robots. Which is why all of us our in grave danger if we do not stop him. I need to make a power sword, and that I want your help so I my strike him down, end this war against us before it start, because frak knows what will happen then

To SC(grey):
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saladin feels for the loss of your phyic.
    Last edited by IrrationalSpork; 2009-09-18 at 04:40 PM.
    Total War Forum

20. - Top - End - #110

Antarctic Republic

"Guards, arrest high councillor Asad" was the first command given by Janus as he and his remaining four bodyguards stood outside the wrecked conference room.

"WHAT!!!" cried the tall man as the eye brothers aproached him.

"Just come quitely sir, you are under arrest." One of them said calmly.

A mighthy roar came out of Asad as he send three of the eye brothers flying through the room. One died, impaled on a piece of debris. The remaining eye brother had dodged behind the colossal man and was ready to stab him in the back.

Asad turned, but to late as the pitch black monofilemental blade tore the ligands from his right leg, sending him crashing to the ground. Janus stepped in and drew the psy amplifier from her belt and placed it to Asads head, who seemed to lose contiousness a moment later.

"You will come with us, traitor!"

If anyone was to intervene on this obvious Coup d' Etat, now would be the time.
    Last edited by Wizard of the Coat; 2009-09-18 at 05:00 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111

Church of the Sun God

Antartica

Nearby Regent Edward Burke and his fellow priests were adminstering to the flock when they heard the commotion. Rushing over they see the end of the of the coup against Asad.

Burke in his festive robes approaches Janus and the seemingly dead body of Asad. He leans heavily on his Sun staff, which is hypnotizing to behold(a slight psi effect imbued upon it.) "Brothers and Sisters, what is the matter here? Why do you result to such violent means?"

Behind him stands several other priests and new converts to the cause.

OOC: Response to the attack against the conference coming soon.
    Last edited by LongVin; 2009-09-18 at 06:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayn
    You know, I'm beginning to realize that when I chose to go from being a player to being the GM, I essentially went from being a mere leader of some nation to being God. And it feels good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade_Tarem View Post
    It's been said that a good backstory is like a skirt - it should be long enough to cover everything that needs to be covered, but short enough that it can keep someone's interest. This... is basically the train of a wedding dress.

22. - Top - End - #112

Aboard the Goldenfever

The high pitched screeches of the MSW alarm system tore the air, reaching from the heights of the command bridge to lowest of machine decks.

General GFC-0112, towering over as good as everyone else with his well-above two meters in height, shot his arm in the air and fired three rounds with his ion-charged rail-gun.

Raising his volume to speaker system level, he shouted above the chaos of the world leaders: "No one will leave this ship! I am ordering a total lockdown - not one ship will leave my hangars, and not one person will go unaccounted for!"

Jumping off his platform, the General walked straight over to Janus, accompanied by his personal guards, and barked to his face; "Stop this nonsense right now, dear Emissary. This is my ship, my world, and you do not have the power to arrest anyone while you are aboard. If you believe him a traitor, I will place him under incarceration, with proper treatment."

General GFC turned on his heel, not bothering to hear Janus' reaction, although he did leave his guards to escort Councillor Asad to the holding cells.

"I want to know who made that strafe, and I want him here on his knees, [b][I]right now[I][B]!" he shouted at his subordinate officers.

Edit:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh yeah, I'm sending a bunch of small cruiser ships to patrol the Goldenfever and it's surroundings. Also, one in pursuit of the attackers last known direction, just in case that bites - full throttle.

And to you guys who went to your ships - you're not leaving!
    Last edited by Edwin; 2009-09-18 at 06:22 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113

Antarctic Republic

Asad grunted and spoke heavily, recovering from the mental block "You have not the right... to hold us as ambassadors of our respective nations... To do so would be most unfriendly... whomever did this..."

"Was most certainly alligned with you, that was a Hand sponsored action" Janus interupted. "Bought on illegal weapons markets, you could check it. And I foolishly believed it was for research into pirate capacities!" he alternately adresses the Church and the General.

"By OUR laws he must stand immediate trial before the council. He will pay for his actions."

"My actions!... You fiend!" Asad said nolonger breathing heavily as he broke the lock the Guards had on him with remarkable ease. Standing and taking a few steps his wounds seemed to have healed completely.

"THIS FIEND should be put on trial!" Asad exclaimed, pointing a menacing finger at Janus.
    Last edited by Wizard of the Coat; 2009-09-18 at 06:43 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114

Antartic Republic

Burke needed to make an immediate decision on the matter, there was no time to contact the regional Pontiface on this. He had to act and choose sides or forever be hated by both. The decision would not be simple, the wrong move could wreck relations with the Republic and damage the long term plans of the Church. Taking a careful look of the surroundings and the current situation it became clear that Asad was the more powerful one here, he was ambushed and caught off guard but was still able to resist and now shows no sign of injuries.

Taking up a position next to Asad he bangs his staff twice against the ground. The remaining priests form a protective square around Asad and the converts stand behind them.

"There will be no further violence against this man. You will stand down or you will stand against all of us."

World Conference

Grandmaster Borghese dives to the ground as his bodyguard throw themselves over him protecting the divine voice of the Sun God. As the attack ceases they quickly pull him to his feet and begin rushing back towards the hanger and the waiting Church Frigate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayn
    You know, I'm beginning to realize that when I chose to go from being a player to being the GM, I essentially went from being a mere leader of some nation to being God. And it feels good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade_Tarem View Post
    It's been said that a good backstory is like a skirt - it should be long enough to cover everything that needs to be covered, but short enough that it can keep someone's interest. This... is basically the train of a wedding dress.

25. - Top - End - #115

The (failed) World Peace Conference

As always, Erik is ready with a sarcastic comment, though this might not be the time. Especially with having a broken arm and all.

"You know, I was right. Peace conferences never amount to anything unless we start trying to kill each other during them. Shame about my arm, though. Such a shame. No point in hiding it any longer, though."

Erik grips the skin of his (broken) right arm, and rips the flesh right off like paper-mache, revealing a damaged, silvery cybernetic limb connected to bone.

He finishes this act as the coup against Asad begins and (for now, continues). He pales, and quickly places himself between the robotic hosts of the conference, and Janus, his demeanor turning polite, but firm.

"I have to agree with Asad. Janus has no proof of the Councilor's wrong-doing, while I have been affected first-hand by Janus's mind-altering abilities, of whatever source they may be. I was mostly unharmed by those abilities, being a former member of an anti-psionic unit, but not entirely."

Erik sighs slowly, knowing from experience that any sudden moves would mean death.

"Look, this is a peace conference. Those who attempt to attack others in the wake on an attack on all of us, are naturally suspect, right? Burke is right. There shall be no more violence here, Janus."
    Last edited by RationalGoblin; 2009-09-18 at 07:44 PM.
    Rational Goblin Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

Ixtlan, World of Exploration, my campaign setting. Currently on hiatus.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

Attack on the Conference

One of Ibrahim's guards dives between him and the window, protecting him from the incoming shrapnel.

As the dust settles, Ibrahim and his surviving guards attempt first aid on the injured delegates. As MCU medical personnel arrive, Ibrahim performs last rites on Ricardo, Ratana, and the downed guards. Ibrahim does not yet engage in further discussion, but his guards watch Erik speak while clutching their railguns tightly. They don't seem reluctant to engage in further violence - at least not in defence of others.

Karagatan

Ground-based radar installations attempt to track the attacking ships; technicians examine the records to try to determine where the ships came from. The Karagatan Navy is put on alert to recover any debris that falls into the atmosphere from the destroyed attacking ships. Several atmospheric fighters are dispatched to guard shuttles returning from the MCU worldship against any attack.
    Last edited by SurlySeraph; 2009-09-18 at 07:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

27. - Top - End - #117

Griffon

OOC:EDIT: Saladin does not leave the ship, the commissar is take to the med-lad (or what is closest)...the letters stand but are delievered in person so no one other then who they are intended for may read them.

IC:

When will we be allowed to leave, General as you know I have very pressing matters now? Saladin asks as he turns to the General.
    Last edited by IrrationalSpork; 2009-09-18 at 08:02 PM.
    Total War Forum

28. - Top - End - #118

Attack on the Conference

The General turns his attention towards the approaching Saladin.

"Once I'm assured that you are not to be considered responsible for the attack, one may leave freely. However, I have it on a reliable source who did it, so it should not be long, dear friend."

29. - Top - End - #119

EvilClericGuy

Attack on the Conference
    "Are we all under suspicion then?"
    Quote Originally Posted by ToySoldierCPlus View Post
    Now you're attempting to model physics when arguing your case for armor made by a guy who explicitly tells the laws of physics to sit down and shut up whenever he starts tinkering stacking with regular armor. Stop that.
    Miny city!
    Industrial miny city!
    transportation!
    round one, fight!

30. - Top - End - #120

Griffon

Very well General. I'll be waiting for your go ahead.'Saladin resumes walking about the choas[/COLOR]

Meanwhile back in the Empire:

The Shaman exits his tomb slowly and procedes to the grand gates and opens them. Alas, the world is mine to walk again, and mine to rule once more." He procedes to the throne room and issues orders into the main computer.
    Total War Forum