New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1473
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: KataraAltinaII's Premature Not So Short & To-The-Point Random Banter #130

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    So, DeeRee, how's college for you?
    Amazing. I love it. I'm actually on my last day of fall break right now - halfway through the semester. It drives me crazy, though, that my professors persist in emailing around assignments at the end of the weekend. A lot of the readings are listed on the syllabus, so I read all those, and then just when I'm finished I get an email with 40 pages of PDF file attached that I have to print out and read.

But generally? Love my classes, love the subjects. At the moment I'm reading 1) The Bacchae by Euripedes, 2) primary source texts on the first through fourth crusades, and 3) eighteenth dynasty ancient Egyptian texts.

2. - Top - End - #1142
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: KataraAltinaII's Premature Not So Short & To-The-Point Random Banter #130

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Amazing. I love it. I'm actually on my last day of fall break right now - halfway through the semester.
    . . . Officially, this is the second day of First Week. Meaning lectures and classes have only really been running for two days.
    And you'e halfway through your term.
    The mind, she boggles.

It drives me crazy, though, that my professors persist in emailing around assignments at the end of the weekend. A lot of the readings are listed on the syllabus, so I read all those, and then just when I'm finished I get an email with 40 pages of PDF file attached that I have to print out and read.
    We have lots of reading material too. And ninety millions books in which to find it.
    Annoyingly, my Physics friend has only two books. And those two books will last him three years. I on the other hand have twenty two books which will last me one term. Also, I didn't even buy one quarter of the reading list because of the you know, ninety million books thing.

But generally? Love my classes, love the subjects.
    My first compulsory lecture was so - so. It was just strange, I can see why they did it, but I already knew about the NO - NO points they were pointing out so it had no real effect on me. And it was slightly boring.
    We read Genesis 1:1 - 5 though. And Jane Eyre Chapter One. And some other extract from some other book that was rather dull.

At the moment I'm reading 1) The Bacchae by Euripedes,
    Awesome! Done any Sophocles yet? Or read Hippolytus? Tip: Hippolytus is an ass.

2) primary source texts on the first through fourth crusades,
    Ooh! Ooh! I have a really good site for primary texts on those if you want any links. And I have some typed essays I could email you if you'd like. All first through fourth crusade. I'd offer some extra help, but I had to send off my entire topics worth of notes with my coursework for moderation. :smallpeeved:

and 3) eighteenth dynasty ancient Egyptian texts.
    Want!
    What'cha doin'?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

3. - Top - End - #1143
    Ettin in the Playground

. . . Officially, this is the second day of First Week. Meaning lectures and classes have only really been running for two days.
    And you'e halfway through your term.
    The mind, she boggles.
    Well, we started at the end of August. I believe we've done six weeks, which isn't technically half of fourteen, but week seven is only a half-week: Wednesday through Friday. So we're basically halfway. We break for Christmas on Dec. 18 and resume Jan. 18.

Annoyingly, my Physics friend has only two books. And those two books will last him three years. I on the other hand have twenty two books which will last me one term. Also, I didn't even buy one quarter of the reading list because of the you know, ninety million books thing.
    Yeah, I ended up with about 23 for the term as well, plus gazillions of online books. All my profs email scanned pages of yet further things every weekend, which we then have to print out and read.

We read Genesis 1:1 - 5 though. And Jane Eyre Chapter One. And some other extract from some other book that was rather dull.
    Just 1:1-5? Huh. Last week I did Genesis 1-22 in one class and 36-47 in another, so I just read the whole thing. I actually enjoyed it a lot.

Ooh! Ooh! I have a really good site for primary texts on those if you want any links. And I have some typed essays I could email you if you'd like. All first through fourth crusade. I'd offer some extra help, but I had to send off my entire topics worth of notes with my coursework for moderation. :smallpeeved:
    Oh, I don't know...we'll see what I actually need. But thanks for offering. Last night I read 50 pages on the dissemination of Greek science throughout Europe in the Middle Ages. Fascinating stuff (and I don't mean that sarcastically).

4. - Top - End - #1144

Well, we started at the end of August. I believe we've done six weeks, which isn't technically half of fourteen, but week seven is only a half-week: Wednesday through Friday. So we're basically halfway. We break for Christmas on Dec. 18 and resume Jan. 18.
    Your terms are long. No, really.

Yeah, I ended up with about 23 for the term as well, plus gazillions of online books. All my profs email scanned pages of yet further things every weekend, which we then have to print out and read.
    Hooray for studying Humanities related subjects and spending much money on books! Also, etexts. They are free, no? Any good ones?

Just 1:1-5? Huh. Last week I did Genesis 1-22 in one class and 36-47 in another, so I just read the whole thing. I actually enjoyed it a lot.
    Our lectures are fifty minutes long, we did three texts, and it's only Introduction to Literary Theory and Criticism which is why we did small snips of so many things.
    I have read Genesis and a few books after it you know. Also, I need to read St. John's Gospels for the same class later on. And The Tempest.

Oh, I don't know...we'll see what I actually need. But thanks for offering. Last night I read 50 pages on the dissemination of Greek science throughout Europe in the Middle Ages. Fascinating stuff (and I don't mean that sarcastically).
    It's good reading anyway. I read a fai bit of the Alexiad just because I could, but you know where to find me anway.
    Oooh, sounds good.

Um, I just realise something though.
    My Victorian Lit tutor is a Doctor in his mid - fifties. And I wrote a small paragraph in my essay where I compared a Monty Python sketch (the one where everyone's all pressed up tightly in a line and then they walk into the canned sardine factory) to Hard Times. While I'm impressed with my geekery and spaciness I'm kind of worried because well, Python and Dickens.

Spoiler
    Show
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

5. - Top - End - #1145
    Ogre in the Playground

Your terms are long. No, really.
    I think the correct term is: your terms are reaally short.

Whee limited edition discworld football cards! After missing out on Ankh-Morpork banknotes last time a book was released (2 pounds short ;__;) I am proper happy about this.

6. - Top - End - #1146

I think the correct term is: your terms are reaally short.
    Yes, they are. But even by normal (UK) uni terms, the US ones are ridiculously long. ANd they still take four years to do a Bachelors.

Whee limited edition discworld football cards! After missing out on Ankh-Morpork banknotes last time a book was released (2 pounds short ;__;) I am proper happy about this.
    I got to buy that book tomorrow.
    Where's my timetable . . ? I'm busy until twelve, so I can go out and buy it then, then have lunch and read for the rest of the day.
    Also: I've just realised that most of my lectures are on Thursdays and Fridays.
    But I can't wait!
    Is it good Bath?

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

7. - Top - End - #1147

@Thufir: Ha! One compulsory lecture; I have many other optional lectures, two classes a week and a tutorial.
    Silly mathematicians not being able to research their topics independantly.
    I think you'll find my subject has certain complexities which the vast majority of students would be unable to master without direction. Mathematical comprehension works on a hierachical basis - you learn one thing, it allows you to understand another. Not like english where you can just read any damn thing. You got it easy!

((Attention onlookers: This argument is recommended reading for SIH1202: Introduction to sarcasm))

American terms are a bit long, and start stupidly early. My autumn term is 12 weeks including induction/freshers' week which has no lectures. And we started end of september.

And do you know how many books I've had to buy for my course? A nice round 0.
    I did buy some from the recommended reading, actually, but I didn't have to.

Edit @^: My brother's already read it. He says it's good. Hopefully I can borrow it when I go home tomorrow...
    Last edited by Thufir; 2009-10-13 at 11:59 AM.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

8. - Top - End - #1148
    Bugbear in the Playground

Economy midterm in an hour. I'm really nervous about it, which sucks cause my stomach hurts and I've run out of antacids.

Also, there is an unofficial playground best artist competition going on, so go vote for your favourite artist. The image in my sig is a link. Thank you
    Last edited by Fostire; 2009-10-13 at 12:13 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1149
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    American terms are a bit long, and start stupidly early. My autumn term is 12 weeks including induction/freshers' week which has no lectures. And we started end of september.
    I actually like having just two long terms. All through high school I was on a the quarter system, where my terms were only twelve weeks, and I felt like we were always studying either for midterms or finals. Plus this way you only have to register for classes twice all year.

10. - Top - End - #1150

12 weeks? Any half term holingdays there?
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

11. - Top - End - #1151
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

I have come upon a real discovery:

Putting Nutella in the fridge makes it tough. Tough Nutella tastes even better than soft Nutella. The only problem is you can't smear it on bread. So I cut up a few pieces and put them in the bread.

It tastes heavenly. O.O

12. - Top - End - #1152
    Troll in the Playground

I've got a favor to ask of you all. I'm creating an ID tag for my Halloween costume, and want to know which version is better before I move on. The only variance is in the picture.

Version A or Version B

Or should I just go ahead and get into costume and do it that way?

13. - Top - End - #1153
    Ettin in the Playground

B, definitely. It'd be cool to see a costumed version, though.
    Cobra Avatar by the lovely Miss Nobody.

14. - Top - End - #1154

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Squat View Post
    I've got a favor to ask of you all. I'm creating an ID tag for my Halloween costume, and want to know which version is better before I move on. The only variance is in the picture.

Version A or Version B

I think the second picture looks better, but the first is a bit more security guard-ish.

15. - Top - End - #1155
    Titan in the Playground

Version A or Version B

B. *nodnod*

I still need to figure out a costume for myself though. :I *Is really bad at thinking of costumes*

16. - Top - End - #1156
    Troll in the Playground

My dad said A seemed better, if only because it looks more official. I agree that B's picture is much better, but probably not as fitting

Quote Originally Posted by Alteran View Post
    I think the second picture looks better, but the first is a bit more security guard-ish.
    That's actually what I was going for (see: the big bar labeled "Security"). I was a little worried it might look a little too psycho-killer-ish, though I suppose in the Resident Evil universe, that may not be so out of place

I'm not quite done with the costume yet (still a few things to pick up), but I'll try and get an in-progress pic up at some point.

And who knows, I may just up and decide to be a scientist for Aperture Laboratories instead. Which would take all of about 30 minutes for me to get a new tag made up for that.

17. - Top - End - #1157
    Ettin in the Playground

My dad said A seemed better, if only because it looks more official. I agree that B's picture is much better, but probably not as fitting

That's actually what I was going for (see: the big bar labeled "Security"). I was a little worried it might look a little too psycho-killer-ish, though I suppose in the Resident Evil universe, that may not be so out of place

I'm not quite done with the costume yet (still a few things to pick up), but I'll try and get an in-progress pic up at some point.

And who knows, I may just up and decide to be a scientist for Aperture Laboratories instead. Which would take all of about 30 minutes for me to get a new tag made up for that.
    Dunno. I treat it like a driver's license/school ID pic. I always smile for those, even though they look like pissed off mugshots.

*hugs*

18. - Top - End - #1158
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Right!
    Things done: my first lecture (Introduction to decadence and aesthetes); my first essay was handed in half an hour before the deadline.
    On behalf of the men of the playground: hawt.

Or was that the puerile, lascivious, and vile?

Deary: Well, I hope you managed to enjoy your fall break.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

19. - Top - End - #1159
    Troll in the Playground

I always try to smile, but end up looking stoned in those pics. If I could get in after 9:00, that might be a bit different

Anyways, costume in progress:

Spoiler
    Show

On my left leg is a Gerber LMF II knife, and I need to get a drop holster on the right for my airsoft pistol (at which point, I'll probably ditch the leg strap on the Gerber). May get a different hat too, we'll see.

20. - Top - End - #1160

I always try to smile, but end up looking stoned in those pics. If I could get in after 9:00, that might be a bit different

Anyways, costume in progress:

Spoiler
    Show

On my left leg is a Gerber LMF II knife, and I need to get a drop holster on the right for my airsoft pistol (at which point, I'll probably ditch the leg strap on the Gerber). May get a different hat too, we'll see.
    The costume is looking awesome
    And I agree that pic A is more appropriate for a security ID.

Also, my economy midterm is done and I totally kicked it's ass
    if only I could get my stomach to stop hurting now.

21. - Top - End - #1161

Quote Originally Posted by Haruki-kun View Post

Putting Nutella in the fridge makes it tough. Tough Nutella tastes even better than soft Nutella. The only problem is you can't smear it on bread. So I cut up a few pieces and put them in the bread.

It tastes heavenly. O.O
    As it happens, I've actually been wondering about that for a while. Well, actually I was thinking about it for Cadbury's chocolate spread and I was considering trying to actually freeze it. But same sort of principle.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

22. - Top - End - #1162
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haruki-kun View Post

It tastes heavenly. O.O
    ...spread it on bread and put the bread in the fridge?

23. - Top - End - #1163
    Titan in the Playground

Chocolate spread, ew.

24. - Top - End - #1164
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't like nutella. It doesn't actually taste like chocolate.

25. - Top - End - #1165
    Ogre in the Playground

It probably tastes more like hazelnuts than chocolate. Or at least it contains only cocoa powder. Besides why eat nutella when you can have chocolate with hazelnuts or good old fashioned peanut butter.
    Yet another Touhou fan in the playground.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

26. - Top - End - #1166
    Troll in the Playground

My prents won't stop bugging me about my birthday. I tell them I don't want a party (mainly because they'll embares me in front of my friends, showing them baby pictures, telling us not to slouch, and following me everywere takeing pictures of everything.) It's to bad my mom thinks not having a party is stupid, then lectures me if I think otherwise.
    Last edited by CrimsonAngel; 2009-10-13 at 05:28 PM.
    ____

27. - Top - End - #1167
    Ogre in the Playground

I had a big birthday party on my eighteenth. It was my first one since I turned six. So, parties aren't really a thing I usually do...
    Spoiler
    Show
    These awesome Avatars thanks to the amazing Ceika!
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Avatar by Shoreward,
    author of Cursed, of Course, a fantasy webcomic, right here on the forum.

28. - Top - End - #1168
    Troll in the Playground

I'm not aloud not a party, I envy you.
    ____

29. - Top - End - #1169
    Ogre in the Playground

That would be because it's not a chocolate spread. It's a hazelnut spread. It says so on the jar. It does contain cocoa though, which may be what confuses people.

You know what's not so great frozen? Lucozade. Tastes weird.

30. - Top - End - #1170
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

What is Lucozade? And why does it sound like a disease?

I can't stand nutella, I much prefer chocolate-peanut butter to chocolate-hazelnut-spread. Well, it's ok if you mix it with peanut butter, but hazelnuts are much better as hazelnuts than as a flavoring agent.

I find hazelnut coffee especially suspect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide