New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Would you accept a soul splice.

Would you accept a soul splice and, if yes, under what conditions.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Would you accept a soul splice.

Yes, then destroy the fiends using my new found power.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Depends on how desperate I am. If I had roughly thte same situation as V, then probably. Otherwise, I don't know.
    Avatar by neoseph7. Avatar hosted here.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

No. If I accepted it, I'd only get to hang onto it for a limited period of time, and the carnage I would wreak during that time would land me in a lot of trouble once it wore off.

...I feel ignored.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGirl

Yes, I would. Although I would also have no problem selling my soul if I would get something I needed. If I would get power with which I could change the world, I would certainly sell my soul, no doubt about it.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Nope. The only reason you'd be offered a Splice is if whatever you plan to do with it would do more harm than good.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

I hope that, unlike V, I'd be clever enough to see when I was being played... but this is the sort of thing that seems unlikely to come up except in some form of extreme, hard-to-predict circumstances. And then, what with the lack of time and the stress and the fear and the terror, who knows WHAT I'd do?

I know that accepting a soul splice (or any deal with beings in a ventral position) is likely to be a bad idea - and I also know, looking at V, that my own judgment of my judgment may be *seriously* skewed. So logically, I know I should never, ever, ever consider taking one of those deals. But in the heat of the moment... people do crazy things, y'know? And just because I can't imagine any situation causing me to lose my good sense that badly doesn't mean such a situation doesn't exist, just that I can't picture it yet.

So I say... no, probably, but I have a few reservations about that.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Sure, what's the worst that could happen?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by yubel View Post
    Would you accept a soul splice and, if yes, under what conditions.
    If I felt it was absolutely neccessary, yes.

Friends/family in trouble and I thought I'm not strong enough even with allies help.
    I do think that Giant allowing turning of Soul splices was Duex Machina (they aren't undead after all).

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hell yes. With prior knowledge that the spliced souls have no affect on my actions, I'm sure I could refrain from the temptation to commit genocide on a species-wide scale.

Or maybe not. Still, ominous latin chanting.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Never. I have already sold my soul to Powers Beyond, and my Patron would look askance if I were to try renting it out again. I am not a timeshare!

Fundamentally, the agreement is I serve my Patron, and if there is a supernatural need for power, it will be provided. If it isn't provided, it's because I didn't need it, and either have to make do or change my expectations.

Signing on with a splice would tear that particular agreement to shreds, and result in punitive measures, and I'm happy enough with the situation as it is.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Even if I got it for free, I would probably do something bad enough to ensure that I go to hell anyway, like murder everyone who could ever wish me ill, so no.
    Last edited by Sewblon; 2009-09-27 at 06:08 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and furry, signifying nothing. But enough about your story of your first child's death, you could all use an update on my problems.

To who ever starts another thread about Belkar's death, To the last I grapple with thee... from Hell's heart I stab at thee... For hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.

Dread Cthulu wills that "Belkar-style lip-based assault" shall enter popular parlance! Remember kids, when in doubt, set something on fire.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Maybe.

A basic question would be from who and why. Our comic soul splice seems to be quite high level, and expensive, magic. We are talking maybe $10 million to $10 billion. I know of nothing [moral or legal anyway] I would want to spend that kind of money on and nothing I am likely to be able to do with the splice that would be worth that kind of money. [And remember the old saying "If it is free, you can't afford it."] So there are very high odds that this would be something I would regret.

Next is just who I would be spliced to. Now a computer expert to really make my system zip would be nice, but I can hire one of those for $100-$1000. The same applies to most other things. I can already "splice" with most people for trivial sums [which I still consider too high.] So unless I had some immediate great problem, the odds are that a soul splice is not practical.

So there are a lot of reasons to reject the idea, but in some rare cases...

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Sure, what's the worst that could happen?
    Some people just don't look good with long hair. Plus, your skin changing colors like that is probably murder on your complexion.

Anyway, I'd do it for the evulz. Flying around, blowing stuff up, maybe familiciding a few panda bears (Hey, what's black and white and dead all over? YOUR GENUS!). You'd have to be crazy to say "no" to that.
    Last edited by 73 Bits of Lint; 2009-09-27 at 06:56 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

I wouldn't under normal circumstances. I'd be leasing my soul to fiends and I wouldn't be able to keep the kickass power anyway, and I generally like to keep my soul to myself.

But if I were in the same situation as V?

That alternate plan was so full of holes that even Tom Sawyer would refuse to wear it. I wouldn't want to **** around if my kids' and mate's lives and souls were at stake. I'd want to go sure-thing, caution be damned. I'd take the splice and do my best to keep control of my impulse to throw around the whole 'unlimited power' thing.

Spoiler
    Show

The April Squickies Award for Best Crack Pairing Story

Thank you so much to Kaytara for the avatar! It's of Redcloak's and Vaarsuvius's love child.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    I do think that Giant allowing turning of Soul splices was Duex Machina (they aren't undead after all).
    Um, at what point were any of the three souls subject to Turn Undead?
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

If I was in V's situation I would definitely do it. Providng of course that the results would be the same and I only leased it for a very limited time. what I would do is teleport. Kill the dragon, mass teleport the Azure city ships, teleport back to my family and explain everything to them, Ask Aarandarius to keep an eye on them and meet up with the rest of the order. I don't think that would take too long and as soon as I teleported the azure city fleet and killed the dragon I would dismiss all but Ganurath so that I wouldn't owe as much time. I wouldn't try and kill Xykon because he's the main badguy of the story and he has +99 plot armour.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Probably, though the specifics of the abilities I gain for that time would determine what I did while under the splice.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    Um, at what point were any of the three souls subject to Turn Undead?
    I should have said True Seeing, but same issue.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Firbolg in the Playground

Would I rent my soul out to fiends for evil powers?

No. Hell no. My soul is already sealed, and no filthy hellspawn are going to get their hands on it, no matter what they offered me. Even if it is temporary, I predict that I'd have a hell of a time redeeming myself if I did something so atrocious. And no "for the greater good" arguments either. I am not selling my soul to fiends, no matter how noble the cause.

Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

I make MtG cards. My portfolio

21. - Top - End - #21
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    I should have said True Seeing, but same issue.
    Between "why does this ability which only works on undead work on creatures who are not undead?" and, "why does True Seeing reveal the soul splices when, if I were the author of the strip or the inventor of the Soul Splice or the DM running this campaign, it wouldn't?" Pretty sure that's a different issue.

22. - Top - End - #22

If the splice is similar to the one V got, than easily yes.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

I done sold my soul at the crossroads to learn to play my gee-tar real good.

I'm not sure you're allowed to take a soul-splice when you've already done that
    Please write all sarcasm in blue text. All metaphors should be marked in red text and for any split infinitives, please use green. Thank you.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yes I would, and proud to do it.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Since the chop-your-own-head-off alternative would probably take a bit longer IMO, If I was in the same situation as V, YES!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

MonkGuy

Hell, I'd accept a soul splice if I needed help writing an English paper or help opening a can of pickles

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

While tempting, I feel my soul is worth slightly more than a jar of pickles, by virtue of it never having been used.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    While tempting, I feel my soul is worth slightly more than a jar of pickles, by virtue of it never having been used.
    What if a loved one is drowning in said jar of pickles?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

If I were facing V's circumstances when he accepted? Almost certainly.

The moment the black dragon was dead, though, the soul splice gets kicked to the curb. No familicide, no Epic Teleports, no attempted curbstomp battle with Xykon. The splice was accepted in an emergency situation and was a desperation measure; Demonic pacts are a not toy to be played with any longer than is necessary, and frankly rescuing your family from being slaughtered and having their souls taken is one of the few situations I could imagine ever justifying such a bargain to myself.

So once that's done with, so are the shards. I'd also refrain from toying around with the Black Dragon. Hit it with everything I've got, my best, hardest hitting spells, and drop the shards, leaving me with about two minutes of time at the mercy of each member of the IFC. Once V's wits had cleared a bit, it should have become obvious to him how the deal was too good to be true, and therefore the best thing to do would be to limit the damage done.

Though I suppose I could spare a few seconds to use an Epic spell and locate Haley and Belkar, as well, to resolve that drawn-out plotline (not realizing that it had been resolved for me, of course.) Other than that, though, you wouldn't need to Epic Teleport the Azure City fleet. Just give enough of a damn about them to inform them of where they could find an uninhabited settlement and let them sail there.
    Last edited by Turkish Delight; 2009-09-27 at 11:45 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Been thinking about this .. a reason I would not accept a soul splice (in addition to the reason stated above) is that it reminds me of the scene in Prince Caspian where Nikabrik got impatient waiting for Aslan and decided to call the white witch instead. He could see that supernatural power was needed to drive out the Telmarines. He gave up hope on Aslan. He therefore decided on a literal deal with the devil as the Only Way to liberate Narnia from the Telmarines.

The thing is ... striking a bargain of this sort with evil powers is a loss of faith and of hope. It's saying that Aslan has forgotten about you, and isn't interested in helping. I'd rather hang on till the end ... even a nasty end ... trusting in my deliverance rather than turn to evil powers for help. I might not be delivered. But I think I would do less in the losing than in bringing the White Witch back to Narnia. It would be better to let the Telmarines rule for another thousand years then to bring *that* one back.

Respectfully,

Brian P.