New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Xykon's Familiar

If I remember correctly, a sorcerer gains a familiar the moment he is a sorcerer. So what happened to Xykon's? Is there a chance he made the MitD his familiar, though I doubt so. The other possible reason could be the same reason why Blackwing pops in and out. But then, if that's the case, wouldn't Xykon be reminded of his own familiar when he saw blackwing when they were near the rift? And hence, his own familiar pops in?

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Xykon's Familiar

It was Barky, obviously.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheBST View Post
    It was Barky, obviously.
    A zombie familiar? Nice.

As for the real familiar, I have also been wondering where Xykon's is. Perhaps he just doesn't care about it and therefore never calls/uses it.
    On the left side of my brain, there's nothing right. On the right side, there's nothing left!
    ~
    I have a D20 around my neck, and I'm not afraid to use it!
    I use it in Ptolus based campaign.
    Also THIS is my character.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    ...I think I'm almost ready to convert to Mannryuism over here...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    And this is why Mannryuism ROCKS! We get bewbs. ^^
    I mean, art.
    ...Well, both, actually...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bue52 View Post
    If I remember correctly, a sorcerer gains a familiar the moment he is a sorcerer.
    No, a sorcerer gains the ability to create a familiar the moment he is a sorcerer. He does not need to.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Nah, he traded his familar for a ACF. (Or a feat) Its how he can cast metamagic in a single round.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bue52 View Post
    If I remember correctly, a sorcerer gains a familiar the moment he is a sorcerer.
    No, a Sorcerer merely gains the ability to summon a familiar, through a ritual that takes 24 hours to perform and costs 100 gp worth of magical materials. Most likely, Xykon simply never did this, whether because he doesn't know he can, thinks a familiar is too weak to be useful to him, simply lacks the attention span to perform a 24-hour ritual, or for some other reason altogether. I doubt we'd have gone this long without learning about his familiar if he had one, and particularly doubt it would fail to be mentioned in Start of Darkness, since he was one of the stars of that book.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

Xykon with a familiar? Blackwing (Before V's change) was treated like royalty compared to how Xykon would treat a familiar of his!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Dunno....

Yes i was pretty much in that way too, but then i found myself wondering The Giant is never that predictable.

I can buy the story of a Xykon who doesn't remember to have a familiar, and without him remembering we would've not seen it (i.e. Xykon always forget things, like his keys, or Roy's.... well he doesn't remember Roy at all)

By now maybe it can be a powerful familiar too, if only remembered

You know... Xykon strikes me as one too lazy to check what his features are if he can't use them for something combat related

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Familiars can cost you a significant amount of XP should it get killed. Seeing as Xykon likes to spam AOEs, especially when he's in them given his immunities, he might have decided that it's more a liability than an advantage.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    Xykon with a familiar? Blackwing (Before V's change) was treated like royalty compared to how Xykon would treat a familiar of his!
    I agree. Xykon's one joy since becoming undead is killing things. Why would he keep around a living thing that he can't kill without losing XP?
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

If Xykon ever had a familiar, he would have found a way to not lose xp when the familiar died. And THEN he would have killed it for fun.
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

12. - Top - End - #12
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MReav View Post
    Familiars can cost you a significant amount of XP should it get killed. Seeing as Xykon likes to spam AOEs, especially when he's in them given his immunities, he might have decided that it's more a liability than an advantage.
    Agreable, but there are rules for famialiar cactually allow one to keep a more powerful animal if the caster level is right, do we know what level Xykon where at the very beginning in SOD?

13. - Top - End - #13

DrowGirl

Things we know:

A) Xykon can cast Metamagic enhanced spells without an appearant increase in cast time as they are normaly penalized for spontaneous casters.

B) There exists rules to allow Sorcerors to trade in their Familiar class feature for an ability to cast metamagic enhanced spells without an increase in cast time.

C) Xykon has no appearant familiar.

Put A, B, and C together.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatosia View Post
    Things we know:

A) Xykon can cast Metamagic enhanced spells without an appearant increase in cast time as they are normaly penalized for spontaneous casters.
    Objection. I sure don't remember it ever being established that Xykon takes a move action in the same round he casts a spell. Samantha cast metamagic-enhanced spells with no illustrated indication of a difference between her and a wizard either. Xykon has never cast a Quickened spell. Sorcerers cast metamagic-enhanced spells at the same initiative count as they cast non-metamagic-enhanced spells. The difference is that it's a full-round action instead of a standard action, and the meme that this makes metamagic feats useless to sorcerers is extremely wrong and irritating because of its wrongness.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Things we know:

B) There exists rules to allow Sorcerors to trade in their Familiar class feature for an ability to cast metamagic enhanced spells without an increase in cast time.

C) Xykon has no appearant familiar.

Put A, B, and C together.
    Technically, it takes a full round action to use a meta-magic spell. We don't see him doing any significant movement when he uses those meta-magic spells.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
    Its how he can cast metamagic in a single round.
    A metamagic spell with a casting time of "one full round action" is different from a spell with a casting time of "1 round". A spontaneously cast metamagic spell finishes the same round the casting started just like a full-attack, charge, run, withdraw, or any other full-round action. Therefore, the only spells that require more than one round for Xykon to cast are the ones with a greater-than-one-round casting time to begin with.
    Last edited by Shhalahr Windrider; 2009-10-04 at 05:13 PM.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

17. - Top - End - #17

No, a Sorcerer merely gains the ability to summon a familiar, through a ritual that takes 24 hours to perform and costs 100 gp worth of magical materials.

Where in the rule book does it say it costs 100 GP?

Oh and I agree that logically, Xykon's familiar is *SOD SPOILERS* Barky. *END SOD SPOILERS*

He unlike has'em guarding an important location for him.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Warlorn View Post
    Where in the rule book does it say it costs 100 GP?
    The SRD, under the Sorcerer class description:

Familiar: A sorcerer can obtain a familiar. Doing so takes 24 hours and uses up magical materials that cost 100 gp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Warlorn
    Oh and I agree that logically, Xykon's familiar is *SOD SPOILERS* Barky. *END SOD SPOILERS*
    No, that's not at all logical. A zombie dog is not among the options available for familiars. At best, you'd have to have to have the Improved Familiar feat for such a thing, and even then it's questionable whether it might qualify for that. And we have no reason to believe Xykon has such a feat.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Warlorn
    He unlike has'em guarding an important location for him.
    That would be incredibly stupid of him. A zombie dog, even one with the benefits of being an epic-level Sorcerer's familiar, would be a pretty weak guardian. It could keep away only the lowest-level adventurers.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Rich probably doesn't feel like drawing every Sorcerer's/Wizard's/Druid's/Ranger's familiar/animal companion, let alone coming up with personalities, character quirks, and/or (heaven forbid) backstories for them. So he does what most D and D players do: forget about 'em!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Things we know:

I always objected that rule. For some reason it feels like kicking a dog after he's been hit by a car driven by a another dog who learns his dog tricks instead of having them come naturally. as the first dog does.
    Life is meanless if you don't play games.
    My favorite line in all OotS :
    "Dude, don't taunt the god-killing abomination."
    Loki

21. - Top - End - #21

DrowGirl

Objection. I sure don't remember it ever being established that Xykon takes a move action in the same round he casts a spell.
    Xykon clearly flys around V in the same round he casts a Maximized Energy Drain.
    Xykon can also be seen flying across the chamber from V to O-chul's position while casting Maximized Lightning Bolt.
    Last edited by Thanatosia; 2009-10-06 at 05:50 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

There's always that alternate class feature for sorcerers that lets them trade their familiar for Rapid Metamagic. It would explain away any inconsistencies in the comic concerning moving and casting, explain why he has no familiar, and totally fit Xykon's all-I-need-is-myself personality.

23. - Top - End - #23

Xykon clearly flys around V in the same round he casts a Maximized Energy Drain.
    Not the same round.
    Surprise Round: Time St--argh! Quickened Chain Lightning!
    First round: Energy Drain from Xykon, Empowered Sunburst and Quickened Dimensional Anchor from Vaarsuvius.
    The quickened chain lightning has to be in the surprise round for it being Quickened to make any sense. Xykon spells out that Vaarsuvius did get a surprise round. The dodge has to be in the same round as the Quickened Dimensional Anchor, which has to be in the same round as the Sunburst for it being Quickened to make any sense. Xykon must have won initiative.
    Second round: Maximized Energy Drain from Xykon ends the strip. Probably the Bixby's Crushing Hand that starts the next strip is Vaarsuvius' action in that round--not really important to the point that Xykon doesn't fly in the same round he casts the Maximized Energy Drain.
    Xykon can also be seen flying across the chamber from V to O-chul's position while casting Maximized Lightning Bolt.
    Xykon can clearly be seen casting Meteor Swarm, flying over to O-chul, and casting Maximized Lightning Bolt. That much is true. The clear round boundaries you're claiming mark the movement as in the same round as the Maximized spell and not the non-metamagiced spell, though? Not so much.

Note, I'm not saying Xykon doesn't have the alternate class feature, merely that of all the potential evidence for that, we have no indication that Xykon doesn't cast metamagiced spells as full-round actions.
    Last edited by Kish; 2009-11-25 at 02:09 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

For Xykon, the one definitive bit of evidence that would dispel all doubts - casting a quickened spell - we have not yet seen. I was kind of hoping that Rich would make him cast one just to end the speculation.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
    Nah, he traded his familar for a ACF. (Or a feat) Its how he can cast metamagic in a single round.
    This. It's pretty standard to swap familiar for Improved Metamagic as a sorcerer to use metamagic in the normal amount of time (seriously, a full-round action to cast a quickened spell? ).
    Sorry if someone else already mentioned this; I haven't read the whole thread.
    For people who enjoy reading or writing.

Spoiler
    Show

Awesome banner/avatar by El_Frenchie!

Play chess? Look me up! (bwaa)

Formerly known as lordhenry4000

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lordhenry4000 View Post
    This. It's pretty standard to swap familiar for Improved Metamagic as a sorcerer to use metamagic in the normal amount of time (seriously, a full-round action to cast a quickened spell? ).
    Sorry if someone else already mentioned this; I haven't read the whole thread.
    Actually, sorcerors without improved metamagic ACF cannot cast quickened spells at all. The real question is: Can you prove that Xykon has Improved metamagic ACF? Instead of not having a familar or having an unseen familar? If so, provide the proof to the class and geekery thread and you may win a prize!

If we can see him moving and casting a metamagic spell IN THE SAME PANEL, in combat, then it would appear definative.
    Last edited by Forbiddenwar; 2009-10-06 at 03:31 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

Unless they have that feat (Complete Arcane) that allows them to prepare spells in advance.

Epic ones with Automatic Quicken Spell might be able to though.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Epic ones with Automatic Quicken Spell might be able to though.
    Don't you need Quicken Spell for that anyway? Of course, he could have taken it, and just not used it until qualifying for AQS.

29. - Top - End - #29

It does- and it specifically states in the feat description that sorcerer spells can be quickened using the AQS feat.

The Complete Arcane version of the feeat is massively nerfed, but since several books published post-Complete Arcane use the old Epic Handbook version, this suggests the Complete Arcane idea was dropped after that book.

Specifically, 0-1st level spells, +1 level each time you take the feat.

Compared to 0-3rd level, +3 levels each time you take the feat, for the Epic Handbook version.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Xykon ate his own familiar to become more powerful. (refrence to the kishin in the soul eater anime).