New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground
    Default There is Something in the Woods

So, my wife and I have just finished and published our first roleplay game - There is Something in the Woods.

It's a one-off survival horror game, perhaps more of a storygame than classic roleplay. You're stranded. It's four days to the nearest town. And there is *something* in the woods. The mechanics focus on group dynamics and the balance between group and individual survival, as well as ensuring everyone contributes to the story.

I appreciate it's a bit cheeky coming on here to share something, but I figured that, with Halloween around the corner, this might be of interest to a few folks. Also, it's free to download here.

Warning! The game text itself is a bit sweary.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: There is Something in the Woods

A very interesting system, I like that it's nearly DM-less, and I love the mechanics encouraging you to screw your friends over.
    All work I do is CC-BY-SA. Copy it wherever you want as long as you credit me.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

Okay, stupid question:

Where can I find the rules?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Threads made due to my misreading of a rule: 2

One of my favorite hobbies is criticizing popular members and moderators for anything they do wrong. So nothing personal.

I know I promised to stat a lot of things, but my life got busy and, well, my life got busy. I'm not very active on the forum for now, but I will be fulfilling my promises later.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Click the picture of the cover on the linked post.
    All work I do is CC-BY-SA. Copy it wherever you want as long as you credit me.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oh my gosh I love this. So elegant. So simple. So... beautiful.

Great job. I plan to play this soon.
    My Homebrew and Extended Signature
    Current avatar: Charza Sahlaren, by gr8artist

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

Okay, I've only read the overview so far, but there's one thing I have to say:
    I love how blunt this manual is.
    If you take self-centered actions, you aren't making the group "more vulnerable" or something, you're simply making them "closer to ****ed." This is genius.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Threads made due to my misreading of a rule: 2

One of my favorite hobbies is criticizing popular members and moderators for anything they do wrong. So nothing personal.

I know I promised to stat a lot of things, but my life got busy and, well, my life got busy. I'm not very active on the forum for now, but I will be fulfilling my promises later.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well I know what I'm doing Halloween night.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow. Color me impressed.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Thanks for all your kind words! (And, yeah, I accept it isn't obvious how to download. I may try and tweak that...)

If anyone does play then it'd be great for you to let us know how it went. There were some awesome games during playtesting - everything from girl scouts that wrote a creepy song for "Mr Smiles" to a mafia hit team that got in all sorts of trouble trying to dispose of a body.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by infinidimincorp View Post
    Thanks for all your kind words! (And, yeah, I accept it isn't obvious how to download. I may try and tweak that...)

If anyone does play then it'd be great for you to let us know how it went. There were some awesome games during playtesting - everything from girl scouts that wrote a creepy song for "Mr Smiles" to a mafia hit team that got in all sorts of trouble trying to dispose of a body.
    I'll post a journal written from an IC point of view after we run it. Kinda want to write it anyway, so I may as well share right?
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.