New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Jealousy vs. Envy

Is it important to distinguish between jealousy and envy? It seems that, colloquially, we use the terms as synonyms, often with envy's definition superseding jealousy's. Yet, they are very distinct from each other.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Jealousy vs. Envy

There was a thread very similar to this a while ago, actually...also included the difference between Nauseous and Nauseated, and between Empathising and Sympathising...
    Regular avatar by Dallas-Dakota.
    -----------
    Regarding mysellf:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Pretty sure that Anuan is the local weapons pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    Anuan's house is a HOUSE OF DEATH!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas-Dakota View Post
    I'd go to his house and steal all the awesome.
    But I'm afraid I'd accidentally stab myself to death.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Jealously is having something and not wanting anyone else to have it. Envy is wanting something someone else has.
    Last edited by Zanaril; 2009-11-01 at 05:13 AM.
    This post may contain sarcasm.
    DeviantArt

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Back when I thought they were synonymous, it didn't bother me at all. Now that I know they're not, if I try to use jealous when I mean envious, it irks me no end. I'm far too pedantic.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

In "Colloquial terms" they have become near to the same word, but their origin was different. Many words are like this.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

I wish the definitions were kept more separate in common use. If ever I want to say something like "I am jealous of my boyfriend", I have to think twice about whether I'll be understood

7. - Top - End - #7
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Colloquial is not the same as modern. Jealousy is still used in modern day in a distinct manner from envy. A "jealous" husband is used to describe a husband who is constantly worried about his wife cheating on him.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Colloquial is not the same as modern. Jealousy is still used in modern day in a distinct manner from envy. A "jealous" husband is used to describe a husband who is constantly worried about his wife cheating on him.
    And most people would use "jealous" to describe someone who desires his friend's girlfriend: "I'm jealous of Bob because his girlfriend is very attractive". Few people would properly use: "I'm envious of Bob because his girlfriend is very attractive."

Envy is rarely used in colloquial language.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Jealousy and envy are used interchangeably by a lot of people, but I'd like to see the meanings and usages kept separate, because I'm weird like that. Also I invested the time in learning the difference and it just bugs the hell out of me when people use words wrong, even though I really try not to say anything. 'Cause, you know, I don't really want to be that guy, and I'm no longer in the English teaching business.

Oddly enough, I was just pondering the usages of those very two words and their meanings in Mandarin Chinese a day or two ago. (You cannot use them interchangeably in Chinese, by the way. Well, you could try, but you'll get called on it every time.)
    I used to live in a world of terrible beauty, and then the beauty left.
    Dioxazine purple.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm fairly sure envy is just wanting something that someone else has, whereas jealousy is wanting that person not to have it so you can have it.
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

jeal⋅ous
      /ˈdʒɛləs/ [jel-uhs]
    –adjective
    1. feeling resentment against someone because of that person's rivalry, success, or advantages (often fol. by of): He was jealous of his rich brother.
    2. feeling resentment because of another's success, advantage, etc. (often fol. by of): He was jealous of his brother's wealth.
    3. characterized by or proceeding from suspicious fears or envious resentment: a jealous rage; jealous intrigues.
    4. inclined to or troubled by suspicions or fears of rivalry, unfaithfulness, etc., as in love or aims: a jealous husband.
    5. solicitous or vigilant in maintaining or guarding something: The American people are jealous of their freedom.

en⋅vy
      /ˈɛnvi/ [en-vee]
    –noun
    1. a feeling of discontent or covetousness with regard to another's advantages, success, possessions, etc.
    2. an object of envious feeling: Her intelligence made her the envy of her classmates.

So, using jealous to mean the same thing as envy actually is a proper usage. However, its also true that jealous has another meaning that everyone in the thread is talking about.
    Witch Hunter Avatar by Dr. Bath
    FFRP:
    Jacob Morin
    Jason [Trinity]
    Alamar
    Hyde