New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [GURPS 4e] Banestorm mock combats

[OOC: Oops!]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Think I made a mistake on the map positions/movement in the last turn. I missed the Step for Eniarch in the IC text. It won't have affected the numbers though, so the roll results still stand.

I'll get the map updated shortly.

EDIT: And that has now been done.
    Last edited by Unwitting Pawn; 2009-11-20 at 11:20 AM. Reason: map
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GURPS 4e Banestorm fantasy game: recruitment thread | OOC thread | IC thread | mock combat threads I & II
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

[OOC: Map update, etc.]
    Spoiler
    Show
    It doesn't really matter - AoA permits a step, so while Eniarch would have stepped away, the thug would have stepped back next to him. The relative position of the characters is unchanged, though the position within the absolute area is different. Truth told, in a couple of rounds it won't really make any difference - Eniarch either lands a root, or he's going to get diced.

Eniarch grimaces, and prepares once again to tap his own life in an attempt to keep the thug at bay. The burning within his body intensifies as he nears the absolute limits of his ability to command magic, and the words of the spell again resound in the arena as he steps back once more to try and get soem space.

[OOC: Spellcast]
    Spoiler
    Show
    As before, Rooted Feet, Skill 15, using HP instead of FT.

(3d6)[16]
    ...aaaaand it fails.
    Last edited by NamelessArchon; 2009-11-20 at 10:37 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

Eniarch's twelfth turn

Eniarch fails to shape the energy properly, wasting some more of his precious life.

Spoiler
    Show
    In one sense, failing to cast the spell is a better result than casting it but having it resisted by the target - the cost is only 1 point of energy (Magic p.7).

It seem you're in a somewhat dangerous spiral of feeling that your only option each time a spell does not work is to burn further HP. Just to remind you that if (when?) Eniarch's HP drops below 3, there will be further penalties in addtion to those for less than 1/3 FP.

Eniarch's adjusted stats:
    HP: 7
    FP: 1
    Move: 3
    Dodge: 4
    ST: 5

---

Axe thug's twelfth turn

The thug turns to follow Eniarch, watching his opponent.

Spoiler
    Show
    Evaluate manoeuvre (+1 to attack on next turn - can be stacked up to +3)

---

Map updated.

---
    GURPS 4e Banestorm fantasy game: recruitment thread | OOC thread | IC thread | mock combat threads I & II

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Unwitting Pawn View Post
    It seem you're in a somewhat dangerous spiral of feeling that your only option each time a spell does not work is to burn further HP. Just to remind you that if (when?) Eniarch's HP drops below 3, there will be further penalties in addtion to those for less than 1/3 FP.
    I do appreciate that, but frankly - the fight's already over, barring a critical hit or critical failure, or a really lucky streak on the dice. However, Move score is irrelevant in a room this size, and Eniarch's Dodge has been less useful than his parry for a "long" time now.

I figure that the thug's going to have 10+ ST and is wielding a weapon doing ~1d+2 for damage. Best case for a hit is the torso, which has a single point of armor and no follow-on increase of wounding effects. If the thug has the requisite ST to actually wield the axe effectively (11) then he's doing at least 1d+3 damage, and any hit will be lethal on a 2+ damage roll, so ~80% chance of "killing" Eniarch with any single hit right now. Assuming he's got a 10 skill (which would be rather low, I'd expect), he'll hit Eniarch within five rounds or so on average, and we're well past that already. Increasing his skill with an evaluate only makes a bad thing worse.

Assuming a hacking match, Eniarch will need three hits with the staff before the thug lands even one to win, and he's operating at a reduced skill, with reduced damage, and reduced defense. So, either we'll spend the rest of the fight hacking at one another - a fight where the thug has a massive relative advantage - right up until Eniarch misses that first parry. Otherwise, Eniarch lands a root spell on his last few HP that actually lasts long enough for Eniarch to poke the thug to death. I don't really see any other options at this point. Eniarch will not win a hacking match, as far as I can see. Is there something I'm not taking into consideration, here?

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Probably not. Sorry, I can see how that info would seem a bit pointless from your perspective. I'd mentioned it as much for the other GURPS rookies reading this and to make sure that you were aware of it for the future.

As for the thug, you may have over-estimated your opponent. Although certainly it pays not to take anyone for granted in GURPS combat, I also wanted to give you a fairly decent chance of victory. As a result, the thug is an extremely average opponent, not some seasoned mercenary.

I'm willing to stop now if you feel there's no point continuing. But personally I feel we should see this through to the end, either way. It's useful for any newbies watching to get an understanding of how wounding works in GURPS if nothing else.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Spoiler
    Show
    Probably not. Sorry, I can see how that info would seem a bit pointless from your perspective. I'd mentioned it as much for the other GURPS rookies reading this and to make sure that you were aware of it for the future.
    I was aware there was a penalty, but not sure precisely what it was. (I double checked to make sure I wasn't forgetting a further penalty that would've made things worse!) Frankly, as I see it, penalty to dodge and move is less harmful than missing even a single parry at this point (about 60% chance to fail a parry at present).

As for the thug, you may have over-estimated your opponent.
    I think there's an element of not using my spellset effectively, as well. A darkness spell on the first round has no range penalty (unlike the wasted Spasm) and while it costs 2 mana to cast it has free upkeep due to skill level reduction if cast on a single hex. The penalty for "on" spells (-1) is less harmful to Eniarch due to his high skill than the sizable attack penalty (-4 or more) is beneficial by diminishing his opponent(s). I think I'd have kept Strike Blind or taken Flash, if I had it to do again.

I'm willing to stop now if you feel there's no point continuing. But personally I feel we should see this through to the end, either way. It's useful for any newbies watching to get an understanding of how wounding works in GURPS if nothing else.
    Might as well see if a crit comes up, if nothing else. Onward!

Gritting his teeth against the pain, Eniarch again attempts to manifest salvation. "One of us is dying today." He all but spits the words to the spell as the pain builds again. His veins once more fill with it, like flaming lamp oil rushing through his body as he completes the spell and steps away again.

[OOC: Spellcast, step]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rooted Feet, skill 15, HP instead of FP, etc, etc.

(3d6)[14]

/sigh
    Last edited by NamelessArchon; 2009-11-20 at 10:30 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

Eniarch's thirteenth turn

Once again Eniarch's spellcraft fails. The tapping of his own body too great a strain for the wizard.

---

Spoiler
    Show

HP: 6

---

Axe thug's thirteenth turn

Grinning at Eniarch's failure to stop him, the thug chooses that moment to attack. Once again foregoing any defence, he swings the axe round in a lightning strike so fast it will be hard to stop.

---

Spoiler
    Show
    Step to follow then All-Out Attack (Determined +4 to skill, Evaluate bonus +1 to skill, Deceptive Attack -4 to skill)
    *clatter*
    The dice roll 7, a success. Because this attack was Deceptive (p.B369-370), any Active Defence is at -2 penalty.

---

Map updated.

---

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Eniarch attempts to swat the axe away from his exposed flesh, seeking to eke out just a few more moments of life.

[OOC: Parry]
    Spoiler
    Show
    (3d6)[12]

Edit: Splat.
    Last edited by NamelessArchon; 2009-11-22 at 11:48 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

Eniarch's tiredness affects his reactions and he is too slow to respond effectively. There is an unpleasant thud as the axe impacts with his torso.

Spoiler
    Show
    *clatter*
    6 points of damage from the axe.
    Eniarch's torso armour gives DR 1.
    5 points damage penetrate the armour, multiplied by 1.5 (Wounding Modifiers and Injuring p.B379) meaning 7 HP of injury to Eniarch.

Because 7 HP is more than 1/2 Eniarch's max HP, this counts as a Major Wound (p.420). He must make an immediate HT roll to avoid knockdown and stunning.

If Eniarch succeeds the HT check, he will still be at -4 to DX and IQ on his next turn only due to Shock.

Furthermore, because he is now also less than 0 HP, Eniarch must make a HT roll at the start of each turn or he collapses unconscious.

HP: -1

Map will either remain unchanged (Eniarch succeeds first HT roll) or it probably won't matter anymore (Eniarch fails HT roll and is now horizontal).
    Last edited by Unwitting Pawn; 2009-11-22 at 12:47 PM. Reason: typo

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

[OOC: HT rolls for everyone!]
    Spoiler
    Show
    (3d6)[7] for knockdown/stunning.
    (3d6)[10] for not being conscious at the start of the turn.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    As Eniarch is still standing, you get to decide what you want him to do 14 seconds in

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Spoiler
    Show
    As Eniarch is still standing, you get to decide what you want him to do 14 seconds in
    If he's still standing in another five or six seconds, it'll be a miracle, indeed! While we're at it, here's the roll for next turn's consciousness: (3d6)[11]

Edit: ...aaaand it's over. That HT roll is not enough to keep him up next turn, so all the thug has to do is stare really hard. ;)

Bloodied and battered, the sorcerer still manages to smile,a rictus grin of pain and amusement rolled into a single expression. "Even in the face of oblivion, I still smile, for death is only a doorway to another means to serve." He raises the staff to defend himself carefully, hoping to last long enough to land a few hits of his own.

[OOC: AoD]
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Increased defense, +2 to Parry)

With a total of -6(!) to Staff skill, Eniarch can't land a hit on anything other than a critical success, and while delaying may not be an option, the only other one is praying for a lucky crit, so...
    Last edited by NamelessArchon; 2009-11-24 at 10:48 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

Eniarch's fourteenth turn

[OOC: I've nothing to add IC]

---

Axe Thug's fourteenth turn

The thug steps around and swings his axe down at Enairch's leg. His attack, although concerted, is mis-timed and Eniarch avoids it easily.

Spoiler
    Show
    All-Out Attack (Determined +4, leg -2)
    *clatter*
    The dice say 13, a fail.

As you've already rolled (and failed) Eniarch's next HT roll, I'll continue.

---

Eniarch's fifteenth turn

Injury and exhaustion finally catch up with Eniarch, he loses consciousness, slips and falls backwards.

---

At this point, the fight is effectively over.

If this is a fight to the death then Eniarch's opponent can simply kill him without interference. Even if the thug were to walk away at this point, the odds are not good.

At -1 HP, a person is not yet dead. However, without outside aid there is a high chance that Eniarch would simply bleed to death before he wakes up. (HT roll at -2 every minute or lose 1 HP, but HT roll to wake up every hour - If he loses another 9 HP then his condition is mortal, meaning HT roll to wake up is every 12 hours, plus HT roll vs death every 12 hours until stabilised).

---

Map updated.

---

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

Thanks, NA. That was extremely useful.

I feel that you made a couple of tactical errors, but then you were also unlucky with some of your rolls so it could've easily gone differently.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

I feel that you made a couple of tactical errors
    No doubt. However, that only begs the questions: Which? Where? Why?

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NamelessArchon View Post
    No doubt. However, that only begs the questions: Which? Where? Why?
    Of course this is only my opinion, FWIW.

Spoiler
    Show
    Now I know a large part of the fun of playing a wizard is getting to cast magic. And I certainly have a better understanding of how some of your spells work now that you've used them. However, in terms of general tactical approach, you often seemed to go for the magical option when the mundane option might have been more efficient for survival.

On your third turn, you cast Rooted Feet on the thug when he had just left himself vulnerable to attack from his fumbled grapple. My personal inclination at that point was to just to hit him as hard as you could.

Then, after you had cast the spell and stuck him to the ground, the thug basically had two choices: attempt to break free, or all-out defence. At that point, you could've kept swinging at him, perhaps using some form of AoA to maximise your chances, rather than using further magic that drained your FP.

On your eighth turn, and with Eniarch at 4 FP you cast Sunbolt again, pushing him over the 1/3 FP threshold - this was arguably a succeed-or-die action on your part. The subsequent miss turned the fight in your opponent's favour.

The total amount of spellcasting throughout the fight meant that Eniarch weakened himself to the point where he surrendered the advantage, rather than the thug seizing or creating the advantage himself.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Spoiler
    Show
    Of course this is only my opinion, FWIW.
    Well, I'm glad - if I'd asked you for my opinion, I'm probably doing it wrong.

On your third turn, you cast Rooted Feet on the thug when he had just left himself vulnerable to attack from his fumbled grapple. My personal inclination at that point was to just to hit him as hard as you could.
    Possibly. I certainly thought about it, but I decided not to do so. Rooted Feet has a skill of 15. Eniarch's skill with a staff is barely 50-50, and as you've seen, dice have no particular love for me.

Hitting him (if managed) gains a momentary combat advantage, but the root (theoretically) ends the fight against anyone without reach - they simply cannot fight back effectively. It's possible that the hit would've created a cascade (reduced DX reduces thug's skills, which reduces defense, which makes future hits more likely, etc.) or also that I'd simply have spent the next few turns rolling 12+ on a skill of 11 and whiffing at empty air.

Also, once grabbed, Eniarch is using his even lesser Brawling skill (at best) or Wrestling (which is at default!) and CANNOT use any magic, because you can't concentrate once you've been grappled, so if his intention was to grapple me, my intention was to make it Not Happen.

You see that as missing an opportunity to increase advantage, while I see it as a chance to end the fight outright in a fight where a single failure turns the tables against Eniarch most strongly. Frankly, Eniarch doesn't expect to win a "hacking match". Prepared, and against a truly unskilled thug or unarmored bravo, maybe he comes out all right with nothing more than a staff, but against a reasonably skilled sword-and-board fighter or someone with some decent armor? No, that fight ends fast, either because Eniarch's magic ends it by removing the fighter's skill from the equation, or because Eniarch is quickly reduced to a pile of quivering cubes - indeed, given the lethality of RAW combat, the last thing an unarmored fighter wants to do is trade blows!

Then, after you had cast the spell and stuck him to the ground, the thug basically had two choices: attempt to break free, or all-out defence. At that point, you could've kept swinging at him, perhaps using some form of AoA to maximise your chances, rather than using further magic that drained your FP.
    This one I'd agree with, but I really didn't expect to miss on a skill of 14. Ideally, I'd have aimed for another two seconds (total skill 16) but I didn't want to push my luck on the root breaking. Turns out I should have, clearly.

Theoretically, the root never breaks, and I could move around behind my target, prime a repeated series of telegraphic AoAs for the skull from behind (-1 to hit in total?) and probably finish the fight in a single round, which was really what the Sunbolts should have done, albeit a bit "flashier". Next time I may do exactly that - I'd forgotten about the 1/3rd FP penalty to ST until after I'd posted the action.

On your eighth turn, and with Eniarch at 4 FP you cast Sunbolt again, pushing him over the 1/3 FP threshold - this was arguably a succeed-or-die action on your part. The subsequent miss turned the fight in your opponent's favour.
    From my perspective, the fight was "succeed or die" from the first action, but it was certainly unwise.
    Last edited by NamelessArchon; 2009-11-24 at 03:03 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

OK, next up is Devereux's character, Cedric.

Mock Combat 2

As in the first fight, the thick black border on the map is stone wall, and should be considered impassible. Both combatants start facing each other with their weapons ready. The thug is wielding a sword in both hands, and appears to be unarmoured.

---

Map of starting positions.

---

Cedric gets to go first.

Spoiler
    Show
    If you have any questions Devereux, then please ask. Otherwise, it's your move

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cedric wastes no time.

"Hit him hard and fast, Cedric, hard and fast," he mutters to himself.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cedric performs a Move-and-Attack, moving 1 pace to the right, and 3 paces forward.
    Sword Slash (15): (3d6)[7]

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

Cedric's first turn

Cedric's dash across the floor takes his opponent by surprise, and the thug fails to deflect the slash at his torso.

Spoiler
    Show
    Thug attempts a Parry
    *clatter*
    Dice roll 12, a failure

Roll damage, and then I'll continue...
    btw, you do know you were lucky, right? Cedric's effective skill was 9, not 15 (-4 to skill for Move and Attack, adjusted skill cannot exceed 9)

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

Swish!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Damage Sword Cutting(2d-1)
    (2d6-1)[7]
    btw, you do know you were lucky, right? Cedric's effective skill was 9, not 15 (-4 to skill for Move and Attack, adjusted skill cannot exceed 9)
    Nope, I didn't know I was lucky... I'm that annoying kid brother who plays your favorite console fighting game, mashes buttons, and gets lucky but thinks he's got skill

Actually, I couldn't think of any good alternatives, and that seemed just as good to me as any. Alternately, I considered moving and/or doing an evaluation, depending on whether or not i was in range for an evaluation or could do both together.

Sorry about the misevaluation earlier, I was aware of the -4 but forgot to factor it in. I guess that's why we're doing mock combats...
    Last edited by Devereux; 2009-11-25 at 09:51 AM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Orc in the Playground

Cedric's sword cuts a line across the thug's abdomen, covering the blade in blood. The thug collapses forward, dropping his sword in the process.

Spoiler
    Show
    7 points damage, no armour, x1.5 (cutting wound multiplier) = 10 points damage. This is greater than 1/2 the thug's HP and thusly a Major Wound, which forces an immediate knockdown/stunning roll.
    *clatter*
    The dice say 14, greater than his HT (but not a failure by 5+), so the thug falls prone, drops anything he's carrying, is Stunned for one turn, but not yet unconscious.

Quote Originally Posted by Devereux View Post
    Nope, I didn't know I was lucky... I'm that annoying kid brother who plays your favorite console fighting game, mashes buttons, and gets lucky but thinks he's got skill
    Thought that I recognised you from somewhere!

---

Sword Thug's first turn

With a slight moan, the prone thug twitches on the floor.

Spoiler
    Show
    Due to the effects of Stun (see previous spoiler) the thug is forced to Do Nothing on this turn.

Now this probably what NamelessArchon would call a OHK, and Cedric's victory is in little doubt. However, as the thug is technically still conscious, we'll continue for the moment.

---

Map updated.

---

EDIT:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Alternately, I considered moving and/or doing an evaluation, depending on whether or not i was in range for an evaluation or could do both together.
    Well, two manoeuvres cannot be combined by normal mortals. You were in range for an Evaluate - it's valid as long as you are in range to attack (i.e. a Move and Attack). Evaluate only allows you to move 1 yard/hex while sizing-up your opponent however (what GURPS calls a "step").
    Last edited by Unwitting Pawn; 2009-11-25 at 11:27 AM. Reason: extra spoiler

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    If this is IC, Cedric needs to know why they were fighting in order to know how to proceed.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    If this is IC, Cedric needs to know why they were fighting in order to know how to proceed.
    They were fighting so that OOC, Devereux gets a better understanding of the combat mechanics

If you're worried that Cedric shouldn't hit an unarmed man, we can say that this is a fight to the death IC if that makes you feel more comfortable. However, you shouldn't have any major hinderance as this is just an exercise. Furthermore, I note that Cedric has no traits such as Pacifism (Cannot Kill) or a Code of Honour that might restrict his pragmatism in such a situation.

I would also remind you that Cedric did attack first

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Spoiler
    Show
    It's IC in the sense that it's meant to be played out "in-character" with respect to speech and posing, but AFAIK it's not going to be canon. No one will ever mention that Cedric killed a poor "defenseless" thug on the second round of combat by stabbing him to death as he lay there stunned and poorly in the middle of an 18x18 room surrounded by impassable stone walls, because it's just a mock combat.

Now, if we were actually playing these as canon, Eniarch's whole fight could've been an illusory training exercise run by Claudius, complete with reprimands from his master afterward explaining the myriad things he did wrong! ("...and all that the time you wasted monologuing on those awful puns? What were you thinking?")

As far as an IC justification for brutally murdering our hapless mock victim while he lays there completely helpless? Well, he kicked your puppy. He made rude comments about your uncertain parentage and dubious lineage. He insinuated that Cedric enjoys misbehaviors that involve large quantities of alcohol and wearing custom-tailored ladies' apparel while pretending to be an opera singer. He suggested that Cedric's palette is too unrefined to adequately appreciate the quality of Cedric's favorite beer and he'd be perfectly happy with a bowl of scummy water placed on the floor. Pick one or make up your own, and I'd bet UP can run with it, since the whole fight is effectively not real.

And yes, UP, this is exactly the "OHK" situation I was referring to - unless Cedric is merciful, the combat is effectively over in one hit, and indeed, on the first round of combat! Imagine Cedric as my thug, and you immediately see why Eniarch went "all out" from round one - he was trying to avoid this ever happening to him!
    Last edited by NamelessArchon; 2009-11-25 at 12:35 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

Seeing the man fall prone elicits no sympathy from Cedric. Instead, he feels rather vindictive.

"It was a Belgian Brown, not a Pilsner, you sorry sack of sour hops," growls Cedric, and with no heed for his safety, or need to defend himself, delivers a kick to the prone man's ribs.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If I got this right, it will be an All-Out-Attack, determined.
    Booted Kick (16) 14 base, with a -2 to hit for kicking, +4 for being determined, without adding any modifiers for the guy on the ground (I think U P does that):
    (3d6)[12]
    Last edited by Devereux; 2009-11-25 at 01:20 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Furthermore, I note that Cedric has no traits such as Pacifism (Cannot Kill) or a Code of Honour that might restrict his pragmatism in such a situation.
    Understood, I was just thinking that Cedric might be pragmatic in a fight, but say, a tavern brawl or maybe a city mugging, he might just leave them be as opposed to putting a sword through his prone body :)

Thanks for the feedback and help guys. Sorry that we didn't get down to too many melee mechanics here.

Actually, I was thinking about doing some RP and stepping on his prone body so that I could lean down and whisper some sort of vindictive statement, but didn't know how that would work exactly...

Preemptive Damage Roll, if it's a hit
    Spoiler
    Show
    Booted Kick: 1d6+2crush
    (1d6)[6]
    Last edited by Devereux; 2009-11-25 at 01:22 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Spoiler
    Show
    Understood, I was just thinking that Cedric might be pragmatic in a fight, but say, a tavern brawl or maybe a city mugging, he might just leave them be as opposed to putting a sword through his prone body :)
    Probably wise, in a tavern brawl or mugging. Dead bodies are a lot harder to explain in some settings, and almost always draw attention.

Sorry that we didn't get down to too many melee mechanics here.
    Ha! Just rewind it, assume the thug successfully parries this time, and then run combat from there (Mock Combat 2b)! If that's objectionable, then it can't really hurt to start a new one. After all, what's the worst that could happen - you lose like Eniarch did?

Actually, I was thinking about doing some RP and stepping on his prone body so that I could lean down and whisper some sort of vindictive statement, but didn't know how that would work exactly...
    Ooh. Good question.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

Cedric's second turn

Cedric's boot connects solidly with the thug's ribs. The man groans, but hadly moves.

Spoiler
    Show
    I've just realised that I should have rolled at end of Sword Thug's first turn, to see if he recovered from being stunned.
    *clatter*
    Dice roll of 11, a failure. He remains Stunned until end of next turn, at least.

That means that the thug suffers -4 to active defences, in addition to the -3 for lying down. (There were no modifiers for Cedric's attack due to his target being prone.)
    *clatter*
    Another 11, which unsurprisingly is not a successful "Dodge".
    Sword Thug's HP: -8

---

Sword Thug's second turn

He tries but fails to push himself up.

Spoiler
    Show
    Do Nothing manoeuvre, as mandated by Stun
    *clatter*
    And another 11! (or should that be 11!!!1! ?) He'll still be stunned next turn too.

---

Map unchanged

---

Spoiler
    Show
    Preemptive Damage Roll, if it's a hit
    Booted Kick: 1d6+2crush
    You can just do this in the same spoiler as the attack roll actually. Underneath it or something. (dariathalon has already convinced me that more time-efficient that way).

Probably wise, in a tavern brawl or mugging. Dead bodies are a lot harder to explain in some settings, and almost always draw attention.
    Indeed. I'd say that in a tavern brawl at least, leaving people un-killed probably is the more "pragmatic" thing to do, for the very reason you've indicated.

Ooh. Good question.
    Hmm, as GM I'd be inclined to drop out of combat time for that one. This would probably take multiple seconds to do realistically. In a one-on-one situation, without other combatants nearby, there's no need to for the victor to worry about acting super-fast if they're just going to gloat.
    Last edited by Unwitting Pawn; 2009-11-25 at 09:52 PM. Reason: kick damage

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cedric makes what he hopes will be a finishing blow, putting his entire body behind his swing.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I didn't include the +2 crush before, should I do that in the roll (I just rolled 1d6 as opposed to 1d6+2) - should i include other forms of damage in the total damage roll? EDIT: I now think that the whole damage was of type crushing, I don't know what I was thinking there before...
    All-Out-Attack, Strong, +2 to damage
    Shortsword: (15)
    (3d6)[10]

Damage: 2d-1, +2 for strong attack
    (2d6+1)[11]
    Last edited by Devereux; 2009-11-25 at 09:28 PM.