New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Banned

Default Re: [Campaign] A Dying Ember

Huh... I was just reading something very interesting. I just happened to run across an article on the Vanara, an intelligent bear/ape-like race from the hindu epic Ramayana.

The main guy in it, Ramayana, came from a union between a nymph and a vanara... almost exactly the way I put the history of the humans coming to be.

How cool is that?

Quote Originally Posted by unosarta View Post
    I suppose I will have to wait until Pelor and his fluff is up, but would a Wild Child (Cold Dwelling Fey), Cleric of Pelor be viable? Just to cause some crazy role-playing drama? It seems like it would be, but I have no idea until Pelor is added.
    I'm going to replace Pelor actually. He was just a convenient name at the time.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    Huh... I was just reading something very interesting. I just happened to run across an article on the Vanara, an intelligent bear/ape-like race from the hindu epic Ramayana.

The main guy in it, Ramayana, came from a union between a nymph and a vanara... almost exactly the way I put the history of the humans coming to be.

How cool is that?
    Ramayana is just a cool story in general. That it ties into this setting just makes it better.

I'm going to replace Pelor actually. He was just a convenient name at the time.
    Oh well. Also, I don't think I remember reading it, but how are undead in this setting? Evil, misunderstood, actually good?
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

My deviantArt.

Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Banned

Oh well. Also, I don't think I remember reading it, but how are undead in this setting? Evil, misunderstood, actually good?
    It depends on the undead basically. They aren't common however. Most folk are suspicious and fearful of the natural undead just because it takes strong passions to awake them.

Skeletons, zombies and other slave-like undead or those purposely made are considered disrespectful at best, and their creators are punished with long incarceration. Most Hearthians revere the memories and bodies of their ancestors and are greatly angered by those that'd use them. Bodies are also the property of their kin, unless a contract was unfulfilled, such as indentured servitude. If the related kin cannot or will not take their place then legally the body is the property of the debtor until its been paid off. In such a way can there be legal undead.

Incorporeal undead, or spirits as I'm making them here, can go either way. I'm actually working on something for them. They'll not be positive or negative energies per se. They may be revered and used for information or feared, depending on what they do.

Tappers (see template) are what every dwarf becomes I'm thinking, since they can't go to the outer planes. They must instead wait until the coming of the Mountain That Walks to be lifted out of nothingness. They are also much like they were in life, only a few being malicious. Most just stay out of the way of the living and give warning when need be.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

It depends on the undead basically. They aren't common however. Most folk are suspicious and fearful of the natural undead just because it takes strong passions to awake them.
    I like this take. What of created undead?

Skeletons, zombies and other slave-like undead or those purposely made are considered disrespectful at best, and their creators are punished with long incarceration. Most Hearthians revere the memories and bodies of their ancestors and are greatly angered by those that'd use them. Bodies are also the property of their kin, unless a contract was unfulfilled, such as indentured servitude. If the related kin cannot or will not take their place then legally the body is the property of the debtor until its been paid off. In such a way can there be legal undead.
    I shudder and hate to ask this, but why? In a land of extreme cold, would not people value greatly the ability to reuse and recycle what has once been? For a setting where it is generally very easy to live, I can imagine it. For a couple of the races in Hearth, though, it doesn't seem very logical (of course, it might just be an illogical choice that has been made by previous generations and honored by those who have followed, or maybe Hearthians just have some sort of aversion to undead. Without those though, it doesn't make very much sense to me). I like the kin idea. Maybe there would be a group of necromancers similar to the Ancestral Blade, but summon their ancestors' spirits back into their ancestor's bodies and use them to give them advice and abilities. Maybe, if they don't have a body, they could make it a ghost? Either way, I like that part. Also, the idea of some super rich necromancer who hires servants to work in his highly dangerous workplace and then steals their bodies from their relatives is just evil. I like it.

Incorporeal undead, or spirits as I'm making them here, can go either way. I'm actually working on something for them. They'll not be positive or negative energies per se. They may be revered and used for information or feared, depending on what they do.
    Interesting. Would certain cultures have a different predisposition towards or against incorporeal undead?

Tappers (see template) are what every dwarf becomes I'm thinking, since they can't go to the outer planes. They must instead wait until the coming of the Mountain That Walks to be lifted out of nothingness. They are also much like they were in life, only a few being malicious. Most just stay out of the way of the living and give warning when need be.
    This is just epic. The Mountain That Walks has to be the coolest interpretation of Dwarves I have ever seen.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #65
    Banned

I shudder and hate to ask this, but why? In a land of extreme cold, would not people value greatly the ability to reuse and recycle what has once been? For a setting where it is generally very easy to live, I can imagine it. For a couple of the races in Hearth, though, it doesn't seem very logical
    Well, keep in mind that most of the races live along the equator where it's normally above freezing year-round, or around the ocean.

Now, those living in the regions of extreme cold do use undead, as mentioned in the Noglitok section. Basically there 'is' a lot of death down there, and amongst it negative energy.

I like the kin idea. Maybe there would be a group of necromancers similar to the Ancestral Blade, but summon their ancestors' spirits back into their ancestor's bodies and use them to give them advice and abilities.
    Maybe, if they don't have a body, they could make it a ghost? Either way, I like that part. Also, the idea of some super rich necromancer who hires servants to work in his highly dangerous workplace and then steals their bodies from their relatives is just evil. I like it.
    Miiiight just use that

Interesting. Would certain cultures have a different predisposition towards or against incorporeal undead?
    Those of Croakine do. They routinely call upon them. Croakine is going to be a very gothic-type city.

They are often beset by the undead who make their way into their town. Think almost The Village, but with undead instead of Those We Don't Speak Of.

This is just epic. The Mountain That Walks has to be the coolest interpretation of Dwarves I have ever seen.
    I'm actually working on the high muckety muck of them all and the culture within it.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, keep in mind that most of the races live along the equator where it's normally above freezing year-round, or around the ocean.
    Ah. Well, even then, I assume the climate is a little bit harsher than the normal climes of standard D&D (I.E. Greyhawk)?

Now, those living in the regions of extreme cold do use undead, as mentioned in the Noglitok section. Basically there 'is' a lot of death down there, and amongst it negative energy.
    Interesting. Would the most advanced necromancers would become like a Cold-Lich? They would be pretty fearsome.

Miiiight just use that
    If you don't, I will. I love Eternal Blade, and the image of a Necromancer using his or her great-great-great-great-grandfather's remains as their necrotic slave is pretty intense. If it is utilized, would the necromancers tend to split into families? I can imagine they would, and that would be very interesting.

Those of Croakine do. They routinely call upon them. Croakine is going to be a very gothic-type city.

They are often beset by the undead who make their way into their town. Think almost The Village, but with undead instead of Those We Don't Speak Of.
    That sounds like my kind of town.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #67
    Banned

Well folks, been working on this good and hard the last week or two and it finally appears I've run out of room.

Still have a couple blank pages, but going to need more. Once I have an idea of how far I'm going to go with this I'll probably start a new thread, or a variety of them.

Updates
    The last of the races have been added. This includes the Okilei, as well as a variant Kenku and Raptoran. The latter is basically an avian equivalent of a Darfellan, the former a long-fingered, creepier people who are curious about everything, including what you look like inside. Am considering writing one more subterranean race that is not even slightly humanoid, because I noticed that though we have an even dozen races, only 3 of them are not human descended or a human variant.

Homebrew PrC's for Hearth have been cleaned up, expanded upon and listed.

Added a section on 'The Many Dangers of Hearth' for potential adventures and how to go Epic with your characters.

In Progress
    • Dwarven Society/Mountain That Walks: I've been working off and on for this for awhile due to the sheer complexity of it. Basically all dwarves become Tappers, spirits of earth that hide away from the living until the Mountain That Walks can bring them into their afterlife.
      Dwarves have been here for millions of years longer than man, and have built extensively, developing at least as many cultures as mankind, though all still upholding to some central law. Except the Duergar who went mad, broke the dwarven law, and thus can never enter the Mountain, their spirits doomed to forever roam.
    • Iron Body of Licc: I'm pondering going an almost futurist way with them, but in a much more primitive way. Think a somewhat Atlantis type place, with great power and knowledge, but little urge to grow beyond the rules and society. It is not a paradise, but instead a place where advancement is key, strength and honor is life, and the only true evil is failure.
      Run by a rigid bureaucracy that both limits yet focuses this advancement.
      The reason for this advancement is to keep up with their neighbors, each kingdom focused on an aspect of the society that together makes up the Body of Licc. Each one must strive to advance and attain recognition for to fall behind the other is to lose face, and thus challenge their honor.

Heart
      - Healers, teachers, psychometabolists and caretakers of children and elderly.

Mind
      - Inventors, applied philosophy, strategists and telepaths.

Strength
      - Warriors, builders, mechanics, and kineticists.

Soul
      - Monks, priests, purifiers and necromancers and seers.

Basically saying that while Imperial humans embody mankind's potential, spirit and imagination, Liccan humans embody our strength, determination and will.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2011-01-22 at 10:58 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

It is awesome that you have started this thread back up again.

In Progress
    • Iron Body of Licc: I'm pondering going an almost futurist way with them, but in a much more primitive way. Think a somewhat Atlantis type place, with great power and knowledge, but little urge to grow beyond the rules and society. It is not a paradise, but instead a place where advancement is key, strength and honor is life, and the only true evil is failure.
      Run by a rigid bureaucracy that both limits yet focuses this advancement.
      The reason for this advancement is to keep up with their neighbors, each kingdom focused on an aspect of the society that together makes up the Body of Licc. Each one must strive to advance and attain recognition for to fall behind the other is to lose face, and thus challenge their honor.

Heart
      - Healers, teachers, psychometabolists and caretakers of children and elderly.

Mind
      - Inventors, applied philosophy, strategists and telepaths.

Strength
      - Warriors, builders, mechanics and explorers and kineticists.

Spirit
      - Monks, priests, purifiers and necromancers and seers.
    Sounds great. Is this focus on advancement hierarchical? Are the over-arching sections higher up than others (say Strength being above Spirit, or something of the like)? Is there a hierarchy within the sections?

If there are hierarchies, how does this affect the overall structure of the city? Is it separated into different sectors based upon the sectors of the society itself?

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #69
    Banned

My original thoughts is each of the sections of the body each have their own city/civilization/capital/temple, where they may advance without the other keeping an eye on them. However, ninjas are likewise sent on occasion to spy/take out/slow down another. Just because all want to advance doesn't meant they want the other to overtake them.

Basically when you are born the Heart sect determines what house you will likely be in through natural proclivities.

Soul checks you for infirmities, mutations, hints of undesirable traits, or simply unlucky (the spirits shun you).

Mind checks you for madness, IQ, and general psychological evaluation.

Strength then tests you.

If any oppose your inclusion into the Body, they may challenge the Heart's decision before The Body, the court whose job it is to see that all its parts run smoothly and doesn't hinder the others 'too' badly.

The Dowager, the Head of the Body makes the final decision.

They rule on which house. You gain a Master in that house who trains you and you try to go up from there. There is much competition for especially gifted students as you gain honor from their achievements.

Basically you don't see your parents much, and the work you do is chosen for you. Most are simple peasants however. They are only slightly above the cast out barbarians. Also thinking because of these barbarians that mongelfolk is what lives in the ravines and dark valleys below the fertile plateaus and hills above.

As for their technology, I've had lots of fanciful ideas, everything from they build metallic nets that siphon the energy of flash herring, to a sort of high-tech balloon/aircraft that gathers antimatter from high powered storms overhead, to the great Houses being constructed of pure metal that channels lightening into an elemental or psicrystal, to a special flower like that from Dark Knight that puts special kinds of slaves/addicts into a psychic fervor that specially powered crystals use, to a sort of cold fusion.

Just not certain. I like the flower one the best thematically, but not sure I want them to be so psionic-heavy.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2011-01-22 at 11:25 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

How exactly do they check you? For some of them, I imagine that magic would be necessary. As for the tests, when do they occur in the testee's lives? I imagine that for Strength, at the very least, would not be possible early on in the subject's life. How would Mind check IQ early on, when most logic is a learned skill?

How many houses are there? Are they based on the role their members will play in life?

Are the mongrelfolk resentful of the people who live in the city?

As for technology; it seems that any real flying craft is not very useful, since once you get up to the higher altitudes the temperature lowers even more than standard, unless weather patterns are unusual in Hearth. Cold Fusion seems like an interesting idea to me, and I could see the flower working as well.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #71
    Bugbear in the Playground

Whoop! It's wonderful to see new things popping up here VT!

I really like where you're taking the dwarfs, it's nice with something new that breaks off from the norm

EDIT: In your hierarchy of strangeness, where did you take Ramen from? The rest are quite obvious to me, but Ramen is not...
    Last edited by drakir_nosslin; 2011-01-23 at 05:07 AM.
    Every time I post a statement feel free to add 'In my opinion...' whenever applicable.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Banned

Its odd, but one of the best ways to describe my idea of Licc is a scene from the film Sucker Punch that's coming out.

Those iron pagodas in this pic for example. Yes, there are actually buildings in that poster

Which got me looking up literal iron pagodas. This sort of thing, but much larger, and built into the mountain. Lower levels go deep within them. Can enter them in their entirety from the valleys below where much of the actual living occurs. Beyond that though is the barbarian lands.

How exactly do they check you? For some of them, I imagine that magic would be necessary. As for the tests, when do they occur in the testee's lives? I imagine that for Strength, at the very least, would not be possible early on in the subject's life. How would Mind check IQ early on, when most logic is a learned skill?
    Still thinking on that.

How many houses are there? Are they based on the role their members will play in life?
    I'm thinking you have the main houses, or parts of the Body. Each one of those then has sub-houses, like Strength would have to do with the military, but also the builders and others I mentioned.

Are the mongrelfolk resentful of the people who live in the city?
    Very. See the last post of stuff I wrote on page 1 about 'Dangers of Hearth'. Basically every single deformity, oddness or even really evolution of the above were sent, and they mingled with others. Some are truly messed up, others are extraordinarily advanced for a human, probably giving them phrenic template on top of everything.

Cold Fusion seems like an interesting idea to me, and I could see the flower working as well.
    Thinking of combining the two. Those high on the drug are capable of twisting matter at a subatomic level that produces the fusion. Not much practical uses otherwise, such as a PrC I discarded the idea of, as they are completely out of their gourd while on this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by drakir_nosslin View Post
    EDIT: In your hierarchy of strangeness, where did you take Ramen from? The rest are quite obvious to me, but Ramen is not...
    The Hierarchy of Strangeness is straight from Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card, actually. He made Ramen up I believe, as it says its the only one not derived from scandinavian.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2011-01-23 at 09:00 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm thinking you have the main houses, or parts of the Body. Each one of those then has sub-houses, like Strength would have to do with the military, but also the builders and others I mentioned.
    So, like, Strength is a house, and military is a sub-house, like a department within the house, or Strength is a house, and military is a slightly smaller house? Would the sub or smaller houses resent the larger ones? What is the relationship dynamic between them?

Very. See the last post of stuff I wrote on page 1 about 'Dangers of Hearth'. Basically every single deformity, oddness or even really evolution of the above were sent, and they mingled with others. Some are truly messed up, others are extraordinarily advanced for a human, probably giving them phrenic template on top of everything.
    How many Mongrelfolk are there? Enough to take over Sicc? If yes, why don't they. If no, are they organized in any way? Is there a Mongrelfolk society?

Can a player be a Mongrelfolk?

Thinking of combining the two. Those high on the drug are capable of twisting matter at a subatomic level that produces the fusion. Not much practical uses otherwise, such as a PrC I discarded the idea of, as they are completely out of their gourd while on this stuff.
    Sounds like the kind of drug the Fey would come up with. Maybe the fey courts gave it to the Sicc? I remember the mention of some Fey creatures that keep the fires in Sicc. Maybe they gave it too them? If not, where did the drug come from?

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

VT, this is just awesome, so detailed and in-depth.

If you ever run a game to test this world out, I'd be interested.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    Wouldn't a bulb only be sharp if someone broke it? Oh...wait...that's actually very fitting for this situation. Well played Ranger Mattos. Your metaphor-crafting is masterful indeed.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Banned

So, like, Strength is a house, and military is a sub-house, like a department within the house, or Strength is a house, and military is a slightly smaller house? Would the sub or smaller houses resent the larger ones? What is the relationship dynamic between them?
    Beats me. May change it around too. Not thought of anything that really grips me yet. Still thinking.

How many Mongrelfolk are there? Enough to take over Sicc? If yes, why don't they. If no, are they organized in any way? Is there a Mongrelfolk society?
    There are thousands of them, perhaps as many as Licc.

Thinking of taking it two ways. The mongrelfolk through their acceptance and variety are actually a very peaceable people, but make a show of violence to keep the Liccans from casually leaving.

#2. The mongrelfolk are halfway insane, partially because of mental instability, partially because they are starving and living at a minimal level.

Can a player be a Mongrelfolk?
    I'm considering it, but making it more playable. That'd make the 11th human sub-race

Sounds like the kind of drug the Fey would come up with. Maybe the fey courts gave it to the Sicc? I remember the mention of some Fey creatures that keep the fires in Sicc. Maybe they gave it too them? If not, where did the drug come from?
    I'm actually changing that domovoi keep fires in Licc. Limiting it to Imperial and Longhouse humans who the former have a bond with fey through their emperor, the latter because of the Treaty of Red Dew.

It's possible though that the drug was something they've had since the first humans, and just kept passing along. The seeds anyways. The Liccans are the oldest human civilization and almost direct descendants of the original humans.

Or perhaps they settled Licc because of the flowers and the potential they discovered in them.

If you ever run a game to test this world out, I'd be interested.
    Sure thing. I actually ran one on these forums a long time back for about 2 years. Was the first campaign to ever last nearly that long, and had some truly incredible players. Was also the first one I ever quit because I had to leave rather than the players leaving. However, I was leaving home for the first time and moving out of state with the girl I had planned to marry and both of us were starting up a new magazine company. So simply put, life got busy for awhile.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Beats me. May change it around too. Not thought of anything that really grips me yet. Still thinking.
    Okey dokey.

There are thousands of them, perhaps as many as Licc.

Thinking of taking it two ways. The mongrelfolk through their acceptance and variety are actually a very peaceable people, but make a show of violence to keep the Liccans from casually leaving.

#2. The mongrelfolk are halfway insane, partially because of mental instability, partially because they are starving and living at a minimal level.

I'm considering it, but making it more playable. That'd make the 11th human sub-race
    Why do they need the Liccans to stay? Do they get food from the Liccans? If so, why can't they make/grow their own food? Too rocky/cold?

Why would they be mentally unstable? Just because?
    Maybe they have to take a drug in order to not have their mutations take them over, and the drug also leaves them partially insane. That might also explain why they have no food, if they spend all of their fertile area, what little they have, on a drug. This might also lead the Liccans to look down on them even more. Just a thought.

I'm actually changing that domovoi keep fires in Licc. Limiting it to Imperial and Longhouse humans who the former have a bond with fey through their emperor, the latter because of the Treaty of Red Dew.
    That makes sense. Do the Liccans still have to respect the Fey, for fear of them destroying their houses, or is that fear gone?

It's possible though that the drug was something they've had since the first humans, and just kept passing along. The seeds anyways. The Liccans are the oldest human civilization and almost direct descendants of the original humans.

Or perhaps they settled Licc because of the flowers and the potential they discovered in them.
    How long does the drug last? Is is a narcotic?
    What are the flowers themselves called?

Sure thing. I actually ran one on these forums a long time back for about 2 years. Was the first campaign to ever last nearly that long, and had some truly incredible players. Was also the first one I ever quit because I had to leave rather than the players leaving. However, I was leaving home for the first time and moving out of state with the girl I had planned to marry and both of us were starting up a new magazine company. So simply put, life got busy for awhile.
    Sounds fun.
    I myself must profess interest in such a campaign.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #77
    Banned

This is a Hearth song if I ever heard one
    (Translation: http://metal-exposure.com/?page_id=2209)

Why do they need the Liccans to stay? Do they get food from the Liccans? If so, why can't they make/grow their own food? Too rocky/cold?
    They'd not want them to stay, just don't want them getting out. Basically think a race of Miko's with a LN leaning towards LE alignment. They only allow the brightest and strongest, and anyone hinting at a mutation or weakness, even so much as a cleft lip, is either killed outright or banished.
    Only their xenophobia and disgust of the cold lands keeps them there.

As for the food, if that was the problem it'd be because they are banished to the base of these mountains where there would doubtfully ever be enough sunlight to grow anything, considering its already normally diminished state to begin with.

Why would they be mentally unstable? Just because?
    Because every unstable, retarded, autistic, dyslexic, etc is cast down. Or it could be that while that is the case, they also toss out the most brilliant geniuses showing a hint of eccentricity. The entire society is based on a sort of 'Perfection of Strength' mentality. The break, but they will not bend.

This is why they aren't more advanced than they already are. They advance slowly, only once each level is perfected do they build upon it. Their civilization is the only human one to have survived the comet impact, all others destroyed or self-destructed.

That makes sense. Do the Liccans still have to respect the Fey, for fear of them destroying their houses, or is that fear gone?
    There won't be fey I'm thinking. When you have cold-fusion power plants providing all the energy you need, why have fey? Then again, Liccans are a people who love aesthetics and beauty in all things, and have an ingrained respect for Tradition with a capital T, so while they have power, it only is used for basics. They might still have servants doing this and that for the personal feel.

How long does the drug last? Is is a narcotic?
    I'd definitely say it is a narcotic. Those taking it work in shifts possibly so that when one succumbs the other takes over.

...ooor perhaps there is a special Family that does this. They are almost literally born to provide power. Spend their entire lives in a sort of dreamstatem fed only through special means. Worried we're getting too close to The Matrix here though.

What are the flowers themselves called?
    Thinking they only bloom at night, another strangeness to them.

Considering the poetic nature of the Liccans, I'm thinking a word in their language meaning 'Desire the Edge'.

Thinking that the reason psionicists in general don't have even more power than they do is that all instinctively fear going too deep within themselves for fear of never escaping. This drug nulls that part of the brain, and they throw themselves 'down the rabbit hole' without any restraints, and up geysers the psionic potential.

So perhaps the drug doesn't so much make them go crazy, as shut down that deep subconscious ward while simultaneously sparking their creative potential.

So once taking the drug, they never wake up. They go down too deep.

Edit: Oooor, or... here's a thought. Perhaps taken in smaller doses you retain control, but you gain an almost Jean Grey/Phoenix personality and powers. Totally batsnot insane psychotic and powerful. However, if taken in larger amounts they go unconscious within. This is a closely guarded secret though, because if everyone knew just a little would make you nigh onto a god then it would be disaster for their communities. Their society is not ready for it. Thus maybe that is the reason for only breeding the strongest, most mentally secure individuals under a hundred generation regime of self control. They wish to make a civilization that is indestructible both in its people and its materials. Then they will reveal the secret.

This is why they focus on each part of the Body, so that each portion may put their full focus onto the main human strengths/failings and eradicate it.

I have to go with that. I'm warming to it greatly.

Edit #2
    This also coincides with my Poqt view of them being the strongest psionicists in the world. Had planned on them once having been Liccans, but fled. They began to tap into this potential, not with a drug, but through faith in a stronger power within. They are the reverse of the Liccans, being incredibly humble, while the Liccan are extremely egotistical and proud.

Ok, that's it. That's what I've been seeking to tie in everything.

Thanks, Uno, for starting the fire under my brainpan

Edit #3
    DANG! This also solves how they are going to fix their sun. Had written a short story about the Liccans I never posted on how they had worried about the dying sun since long before the comet.

Once their society has reached its mental apex, they will all be given the drug, and reignite their sun. That is why they so desperately and stringently keep to to their rules and are willing to even kill children to keep the race pure and strong.

They feel the end justifies the means, because otherwise they will all be dead. It also perfectly encapsulates the human ego that they can do anything and have unlimited potential that I wanted the Liccans to have.

I'm going to be good for nothing else today but writing this up.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2011-01-25 at 10:55 AM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Banned

The Desire of the Edge
    (a first draft. Sparked by Unosarta and inspired by Where Is the Edge by Within Temptation)

So long has the Iron rules of Licc been adhered to that few know why they were begun in the first place. Instead a culture was built up around it, of rigid adherence and honor to those who stayed to them. Already a people with a love of tradition, tradition became the most important facet of their lives. To never deviate from it, to remain strong, resolute and fixed. Unlike most strict cultures, the ways of Licc are adhered to with an almost fanatical devotion. From the crib it dominates their lives.

How did their society develop such a fevered following?

It all began with a flower.

Humans had lived in the area for many years, in a relatively fertile vale miles a few score miles to the south. A wiseman and herbalist of the people went out on a gathering journey every few months for the herbs that he used in his practice. A rare storm had built, and he knew better than to return off the mountain he had climbed until it had passed. All day long the storm raged and he huddled in his lean-to against the falling sleet. Shortly after dusk the clouds thinned and he poked his head out. He was surrounded by the ice, and every tree was coated in it. Only one thing threw back colors to his lantern. A small grove of spiky blue flowers growing from a crack in the mount and protected by a shelf of overhanging rock. Never having seen such a plant before he plucked one and tasted it. While the stem and leaves bit his tongue unpleasantly, the flowers were incredibly sweet smelling and tasted like heaven to his tongue. Gathering a number, he then returned to his lean-to for a night's sleep before his return.
    Upon awakening he looked for the flowers, though there was no sign, they had finished their bloom and were wilting with the morning light. Noting the place and details in a small book, he then began his way home.
    Several days later he returned, and wishing to relax after such a taxing journey he decided to see what a tea of the blooms might taste of.

Records are sketchy of what all occurred several days later when he was awoken from his stupor, but it is said that the herbalist was possessed by a demon of incredible power. With the opening of his eyes his entire home exploded outward and his waker froze into a stature before burning to a cinder. The herbalist screamed in horror at what he had done, but as he screamed, laughter was also heard on his voice. In the end, through accident or purposefully, much of the city was destroyed. As the remains lie smoking about him, he seized his head and the strange twists of light about him dimmed. The eyes that opened were not the blazing clarity they had been, but the terrified eyes of a gentle man. Grasping the blade of a soldier he had killed, he struck across his belly, spilling his bowels out across the street.

The ruling emperor ordered all contents of the herbalist's home be brought to the palace. Reading through the herbalist's notes, the Emperor sent men to search for everything the herbalist noted on his journey and forced a slave to drink or eat each one. They watched as he slumped into slumber after the ingestion of the flowers. Whispers began to be heard through the halls, and the standing guards started as they saw something out of the corner of their eye. They turn back around to see the slave standing, his restraints crumbling into dust. At a command from the Emperor they cut off his head before the slave realized what was occurring.

The Emperor hid the notes and had all knowing of the experiment killed.

For centuries only rumors were heard of this blossom from which could be brewed an Ambrosia. Many went seeking it, but none were successful until a young emperor made a desperate personal quest that was to be told for centuries. The Empress, a woman of no great beauty or station, but an orphan raised amongst the monks, with a voice as lovely as a loon and a love for her people, lay dying from an illness none could cure. The Entwined Emperors as they were known, had brought a golden age to their people, and their love was poetry in the lands. He found the flower and fed it to her. She slept for a week, before awaking on her own. The scribes took down the gasped words, though hard were they to understand. She spoke of prophesies and power and secrets, as she seemed to battle with herself in her bed. Then a calm settled over her that the Emperor did not like.

"I must leave, my husband. I cannot battle this forever. I cannot hold onto myself. It... the inside... is too strong. I WILL BE MYSELF. I WILL FOLLOW THE PROPER PATH."

The husband begged her not to leave, and she begged him not to ask her to remain while such misery gripped her. He ignored her, for though he loved the empress, it was ultimately a selfish love. She realized what he was, and as a tear rolled down her face all life seemed to leave her. Beating his own head with his fists in emotion, the Emperor ordered the ambrosia be brought and he drank. Seizing his wife he shook her and her words seemed to moan through the heads all about in protest. A silent mental request to let her leave but the Emperor would not listen.

Like all those before him he was intoxicated by his power, the only exception his wife. She rose up and saw what he had become. They ascended above the mountains and fought for a month, the clouds changing colors as gold rained from the sky. Houses grew wings, the dead regrew their flesh, and music issued from the rivers. Then there was silence.

Neither able to win, the Empress had finally embraced her husband, but instead of becoming as he, she had tempered him, and let him see through her eyes. He in turn however had hardened her.

As they came down from the heights of the ambrosia they recalled all they had learned, and grew frightful of what they now knew. Their grandchildren, many generations along the line would die as the dying ember gave one last spark before going cold. Together they thought up a plan to save their people and the world. It would not be pleasant, and their would be great cruelty involved, but in the end they were forced to harden their hearts. Sometimes one must be cruel to be kind. And thus they became the first Emperors in the Iron Body of Licc. They passed on their knowledge by tradition and the ways of honor, only the Emperors knowing the truth behind the methods. Mankind was too weak, too undisciplined. Nowhere close to the will required to master the powers of the ambrosia without destroying themselves. Even with her great love and training within the monastery the Empress had only won out for a few moments. They must all be strengthened.

The first of the Iron Houses were built nearby the mount that housed the flowers. Then began the great cleansing. It started off small at first, but as the generations went by it became a rigid requirement. The weak, the deformed, the mentally unstable. All that showed the slightest deviance from perfection was either killed or banished from the lofty plateaus and mountain ranges. Instead they were forced to seek life from the blasted badlands where Hearth spat its bile from below.

With only the strongest, smartest, and ultimately 'balanced' of the people, progress increased as freedom and variance waned within Licc. As reason replaced superstition, and experimentation began, the current Emporer designated the people strong enough to begin experimentation with the flower. The tiniest of the substance was extracted and administered as powerful mentals joined their minds. After many years it was discovered that deep within all man are barriers and blocks. Valves that cut down upon the inner potential lest it be released. Even the most advanced psionicists lived with these blocks, but strengthened and learned from a lifetime to control larger and larger flows. Beyond these blocks however was the true depths of the mind, from which none could return, and no mind, no matter how disciplined would willingly throw itself down. The ambrosia, as it once had been known, was but a weakened and watered down application that led man to the edge of this hole and allowed them to peer within. Developed was a concentrated of the flower extract. The results were frightening, even to these Liccans who had by now thought nothing was beyond their reach, no mountain too high.

The mind of those who took the drug not only lost all fear of the deeps, but seemed to seek it eagerly, hurling themselves down it with a sort of passion. They named the flower and the drug it derived from in their typically poetic fashion; Desire of the Edge.

Power erupted over this edge, but with no mind to tap it, it was like a well of water and no bucket to draw it up. Volunteers seeking to regain their honor from crimes that would have them sent to the Bilelands were given mental training. Reflex and mnemonic conditioning that they hoped would allow them access to this power. It took years of study and experimentation before the discipline was perfected. Machines were devised and then designed to make use of the power that fairly bubbled up, though their true minds lost forever. A sort of cold fusion could be triggered and a new age began within Licc.

The current Empress, Dowager Deki now reigns and watches eagerly as advancements continue. What her people don't know is this is but one more step. Someday they will know how to reach down into the well of their own accord and bring it back. They will have discipline and a sense of honor to steady them. To not be driven mad by the power they posses. Then, when they are ready, mature in mind and body, and dedicated to the tradition and civilization that raised them, they will join together. They will reach out to the Dying Ember, and breathe life into it. They will bring youth to the sun.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2011-01-25 at 02:26 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

They'd not want them to stay, just don't want them getting out. Basically think a race of Miko's with a LN leaning towards LE alignment. They only allow the brightest and strongest, and anyone hinting at a mutation or weakness, even so much as a cleft lip, is either killed outright or banished.
    Only their xenophobia and disgust of the cold lands keeps them there.

As for the food, if that was the problem it'd be because they are banished to the base of these mountains where there would doubtfully ever be enough sunlight to grow anything, considering its already normally diminished state to begin with.
    Ah, I think one of us misread something. I was talking about the Mongrelfolk not wanting the Liccan to escape, which is what I had read from your previous post. If that is not so, why do they not want them to get out? Because they are ashamed of them? The Mongrelfolk represent a "flaw" in their armor of apparent perfection?

Because every unstable, retarded, autistic, dyslexic, etc is cast down. Or it could be that while that is the case, they also toss out the most brilliant geniuses showing a hint of eccentricity. The entire society is based on a sort of 'Perfection of Strength' mentality. The break, but they will not bend.

This is why they aren't more advanced than they already are. They advance slowly, only once each level is perfected do they build upon it. Their civilization is the only human one to have survived the comet impact, all others destroyed or self-destructed.
    Yeesh. This doesn't sound like a fun society. I would assume that they wouldn't really have any entertainment, but maybe the drug represents that. Also! I just had an idea. Rather than simply giving them cold fusion, and letting them go off and do whatever they want, maybe the houses harness the power of the cold fusion and magical energy created by the flower and use it to power some other weird technology that they have, which is still probably under or undeveloped. The people get entertainment, the government gains power. They could have stations created spefically for the plant, and those addicted must pay high prices in order to get in. The government not only gets magical energy, but money as well.

There won't be fey I'm thinking. When you have cold-fusion power plants providing all the energy you need, why have fey? Then again, Liccans are a people who love aesthetics and beauty in all things, and have an ingrained respect for Tradition with a capital T, so while they have power, it only is used for basics. They might still have servants doing this and that for the personal feel.
    Hm, interesting. By the by; this drug sounds eerily like some class features of a fey themed class I am writing up right now, called the Dreamweaver. Well, minus the cold fusion stuff. I was thinking of having the class turn into a fey at the first-ish level, and then get a fey themed template at their final level. Just putting it out there, it was pretty eery, especially since I started it befor you mentioned the flower.

I'd definitely say it is a narcotic. Those taking it work in shifts possibly so that when one succumbs the other takes over.

...ooor perhaps there is a special Family that does this. They are almost literally born to provide power. Spend their entire lives in a sort of dreamstatem fed only through special means. Worried we're getting too close to The Matrix here though.
    Ooo, I like both of those ideas. Maybe one family grows and dreams through the plants. They could become drained by the flower, and turn ethereal as their own reality is being fueled by the flower. Maybe they gain visions in their dreams?

Thinking they only bloom at night, another strangeness to them.

Considering the poetic nature of the Liccans, I'm thinking a word in their language meaning 'Desire the Edge'.

Thinking that the reason psionicists in general don't have even more power than they do is that all instinctively fear going too deep within themselves for fear of never escaping. This drug nulls that part of the brain, and they throw themselves 'down the rabbit hole' without any restraints, and up geysers the psionic potential.

So perhaps the drug doesn't so much make them go crazy, as shut down that deep subconscious ward while simultaneously sparking their creative potential.

So once taking the drug, they never wake up. They go down too deep.
    Ooo, this sounds fantastic! Maybe if too much is taken, the psion goes into a coma, and the government/houses slowly drain his power from him, taking his power points and storing them away to be used later. They could create an organization specifically for the purposeful addiction of psions, or they could just overdose the psions when they reach a certain age and are no longer useful or productive, sending them into a coma and draining them. How does the public feel about this? Indifferent?

Edit: Oooor, or... here's a thought. Perhaps taken in smaller doses you retain control, but you gain an almost Jean Grey/Phoenix personality and powers. Totally batsnot insane psychotic and powerful. However, if taken in larger amounts they go unconscious within. This is a closely guarded secret though, because if everyone knew just a little would make you nigh onto a god then it would be disaster for their communities. Their society is not ready for it. Thus maybe that is the reason for only breeding the strongest, most mentally secure individuals under a hundred generation regime of self control. They wish to make a civilization that is indestructible both in its people and its materials. Then they will reveal the secret.

This is why they focus on each part of the Body, so that each portion may put their full focus onto the main human strengths/failings and eradicate it.

I have to go with that. I'm warming to it greatly.
    I like this as well. This society seems to be very focused on drugs. Is that their only recreational activity? Also, does the drug only have that strong reaction to psions, or does everyone go into a coma when they take some. Also, how is it ingested?

Edit #2
    This also coincides with my Poqt view of them being the strongest psionicists in the world. Had planned on them once having been Liccans, but fled. They began to tap into this potential, not with a drug, but through faith in a stronger power within. They are the reverse of the Liccans, being incredibly humble, while the Liccan are extremely egotistical and proud.

Ok, that's it. That's what I've been seeking to tie in everything.

Thanks, Uno, for starting the fire under my brainpan
    Ooo, good. So, a splinter group of psions? Where do they live? Do they seek to free more in Licc, or do they simply leave Licc alone?

Hehe, no problem.

Edit #3
    DANG! This also solves how they are going to fix their sun. Had written a short story about the Liccans I never posted on how they had worried about the dying sun since long before the comet.

Once their society has reached its mental apex, they will all be given the drug, and reignite their sun. That is why they so desperately and stringently keep to to their rules and are willing to even kill children to keep the race pure and strong.

They feel the end justifies the means, because otherwise they will all be dead. It also perfectly encapsulates the human ego that they can do anything and have unlimited potential that I wanted the Liccans to have.

I'm going to be good for nothing else today but writing this up.
    Interesting. Maybe the sun represents or is their god? They might have worshipped him/her/it long ago, but when it went out they lost faith. They settled down, became lazy and unworthy. But then the government found the flower. They found hope. They remade their society anew, letting only the best do what was necessary to bring back their god. In the following centuries, they eventually forgot about the god, and forgot about a reason. They simply knew that they had to ressurrect the sun, whatever means. Fantastic!

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80
    Banned

Hopefully my little story above answers most of that

As for entertainment, they are master artisans. Everything they make has a certain beauty to it. Everything done with care and dedication and all their effort. Poetry, singing and gardening are large pass-times. No reason they can't have entertainment. As they are culturally advanced may think of additional, more 'futuristic' pass-times. No one touches the drug besides those that volunteer or are honor bound. First, they'd get their heads chopped off, but furthermore its known more as an enslaving substance than anything 'recreational'. It's like looking at rat poison and going 'Hmm, that might be good...'

Based much on traditional Japanese culture. I read a story about how there was this man who spent nearly 2 years simply working on a coffin because he refused to use nails, glue or anything of that nature. Basically everything fits into itself perfectly, without seams. Everything interlocking and joined with as much care as possible. That's how things are made in Licc.

Ooo, good. So, a splinter group of psions? Where do they live? Do
    they seek to free more in Licc, or do they simply leave Licc alone?
    I already wrote Poqt
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2011-01-25 at 03:56 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Hopefully my little story above answers most of that
    Actually, not quite. For instance, why do they put such a large emphasis on the sun being the thing that needs to be remade? It seems like other cultures are hanging on just fine without the absolute urge to remake the sun. Because they can?

As for entertainment, they are master artisans. Everything they make has a certain beauty to it. Everything done with care and dedication and all their effort. Poetry, singing and gardening are large pass-times. No reason they can't have entertainment. As they are culturally advanced may think of additional, more 'futuristic' pass-times. No one touches the drug besides those that volunteer or are honor bound. First, they'd get their heads chopped off, but furthermore its known more as an enslaving substance than anything 'recreational'. It's like looking at rat poison and going 'Hmm, that might be good...'
    Ah. So, how are those who sacrifice themselves to the drug thought of?

Based much on traditional Japanese culture. I read a story about how there was this man who spent nearly 2 years simply working on a coffin because he refused to use nails, glue or anything of that nature. Basically everything fits into itself perfectly, without seams. Everything interlocking and joined with as much care as possible. That's how things are made in Licc.
    That... doesn't sound much like traditional Japanese culture. I get what and where you are coming from, but they don't really sound the same. For instance, Japanese culture is based entirely upon clear cut hierarchies, and giving someone who is "above" you on the hierarchical scale the respect they deserve. In fact, respectfulness and politeness are still very common aspects of Japanese culture that are also present and available to be seen in the language (there are literally three tenses for every single verb and verb ending based on respect; so, imagine more than english's number of verbs; now imagine english's grammar system, but slightly less complicated; now multiple that by three; that is what the formalities make it). Working as a cog was a good thing, but it really wasn't the sole focus of Japanese culture, as it is in this society. For one thing, war was much more prevalent in feudal Japan, where every lord was an enemy, and the emperor was essentially a god. Secondly, there was a huge amount of infighting. The land itself is an island, and although Japan did invade Korea several times in the distant past, it wasn't exactly common. The tensions between classes and groups caused a lot of fights and wars within Japan that weakened it politically and economically. This society would never even dream of infighting to that degree, from what I have read.

I already wrote Poqt
    That was me being derptastic.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #82
    Banned

Actually, not quite. For instance, why do they put such a large emphasis on the sun being the thing that needs to be remade? It seems like other cultures are hanging on just fine without the absolute urge to remake the sun. Because they can?
    Because the sun is failing. It is the star that the name of the campaign is based off of. The reason the sun is bloated and red in the sky is because it's a red giant on its last legs.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Many Dangers of Hearth View Post
    Hearth is but a dying ember, and however the final blow comes, it will one day be snuffed out.
    All those upon Hearth instinctively feel this, but when you are born to incoming death you learn to do as much as possible with the time that has been given you....

...Though it is millions of years in the future, the star Doende Aske will reach Hearth as it bloats and consume it. Perhaps this is what the Winterhaunt wish to ultimately protect the planet from. Put it in such a deep freeze that even the touch of the star itself will be unable to reach it.

So if the cult is defeated, what of Hearth and its far descendants? The freeze may be replaced with fire, to no better end.

Is there a way to revive the dying star? Or must world be evacuated. Will any wish to evacuate? And then where?

Ah. So, how are those who sacrifice themselves to the drug thought of?
    Basically it is approved of and they are honored for it. Only those who are simply dishonored or volunteers can take it, as the powers that oversee it will not take the chance of an 'inferior' mind running the city.

It is a way of reclaiming the honor of you and your family by basically giving your life to power the city from your head.

That... doesn't sound much like traditional Japanese culture. I get what and where you are coming from, but they don't really sound the same. For instance, Japanese culture is based entirely upon clear cut hierarchies, and giving someone who is "above" you on the hierarchical scale the respect they deserve.
    Well, there is to be a clear cut hierarchical scale here as well, but was actually meaning the more artistic bits. Their gardens and buildings were done with much more care. The bred things for beauty as much as for function. There are a number of exotic chicken breeds even from that area because they wanted even their dinner to look nice. They had a reputation as putting care into their work.

Working as a cog was a good thing, but it really wasn't the sole focus of Japanese culture, as it is in this society. For one thing, war was much more prevalent in feudal Japan, where every lord was an enemy, and the emperor was essentially a god. Secondly, there was a huge amount of infighting. The land itself is an island, and although Japan did invade Korea several times in the distant past, it wasn't exactly common. The tensions between classes and groups caused a lot of fights and wars within Japan that weakened it politically and economically. This society would never even dream of infighting to that degree, from what I have read.
    There is that, basically they are too disciplined in general, too much dedicated to their society. Occasionally the emperor/empress will send out a ninja/assassin to take out someone who has overstepped their authority, is coming too close to discovering the truth behind it all and is not considered worthy of the secret, or simply by being a bit of irritant in the cogs.

Those who have to get rid of excess energy can go down to the Bilelands and cut them some mongrelfolk. Or get sent to the monks for additional training beyond that they received as children in the ways of reaching peace within themselves.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2011-01-25 at 08:04 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Because the sun is failing. It is the star that the name of the campaign is based off of. The reason the sun is bloated and red in the sky is because it's a red giant on its last legs.
    How do they know that? Even if it is a red giant, I don't think that would make the planet fall towards it, or the other way around. Mostly what happens is, the sun blows up and then the planet gets encased in ice, or the sun hits another sun and then there is a supernova, and everything blows up. I can still see what you are saying, but that takes a loooong time. Like, really, really, really, really long time. The sun in our solar system has been around what, 4.6 billion years old? And then sun still appears to be in its prime. If it took us around 4.6 billion years to realize that our system would eventually fail, why haven't they known earlier? Did civilization just appear overnight, with no observation to the natural, or what happens around them? I guess some of it can be explained away with magic, but that would still allow them to Scry galaxies far away, or create mirrors out of water and make primitive telescopes, or something of the like. In fact, with magic being so mystical in nature, people might just turn to the heavens anyway, just for solace. Even if they don't, it is very common for a "heaven/olympus/that-place-where-the-gods-live is that place way up the sky" motif in religions, and even barring that, people have a natural reaction to want to seek higher, and the sky is fascinating for many, many people. It represents untold horizons that might not be found on a dying planet.

Basically it is approved of and they are honored for it. Only those who are simply dishonored or volunteers can take it, as the powers that oversee it will not take the chance of an 'inferior' mind running the city.

It is a way of reclaiming the honor of you and your family by basically giving your life to power the city from your head.
    Cool. So, like, mystical seppuku, in a way, but with a self induced coma instead of a sword?

Well, there is to be a clear cut hierarchical scale here as well, but was actually meaning the more artistic bits. Their gardens and buildings were done with much more care. The bred things for beauty as much as for function. There are a number of exotic chicken breeds even from that area because they wanted even their dinner to look nice. They had a reputation as putting care into their work.
    I guess. The way you described it, you meant a parallel in all aspects of society, or that is what I heard, and that didn't quite seem to fit for me.

There is that, basically they are too disciplined in general, too much dedicated to their society. Occasionally the emperor/empress will send out a ninja/assassin to take out someone who has overstepped their authority, is coming too close to discovering the truth behind it all and is not considered worthy of the secret, or simply by being a bit of irritant in the cogs.

Those who have to get rid of excess energy can go down to the Bilelands and cut them some mongrelfolk. Or get sent to the monks for additional training beyond that they received as children in the ways of reaching peace within themselves.
    Okay. I like that the Emperor/Empress seems like they are sort of being cogs in the system as well, placed there by there ancestors. It sets up an interesting NPC dynamic, and could make for an interesting plot. '

I like that monks are seen as the people who are reaching peace within themselves. How are they viewed by others within the society? They don't seem like they would do much for the machine, unless they have some other function.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #84
    Banned

How do they know that? Even if it is a red giant, I don't think that would make the planet fall towards it, or the other way around.
    They aren't going to move the planet. They are literally going to be reigniting the sun with their mental potential. Or going to try. See the film Sunshine. If they can get away with all that pseudoscience, so can I.

Mostly what happens is, the sun blows up and then the planet gets encased in ice, or the sun hits another sun and then there is a supernova, and everything blows up. I can still see what you are saying, but that takes a loooong time. Like, really, really, really, really long time. The sun in our solar system has been around what, 4.6 billion years old? And then sun still appears to be in its prime.
    Actually, sun starts warming up and gets 'bigger', forming into a red giant. If you want to get super technical, this planet may have been devoid of life. A planet out around Jupiter or so. As the sun got closer it started warming it up enough to start life and evolution, etc.

Or perhaps there was only an ocean, miles beneath a crust of ice. The sun began to warm it. In fact, I like that better. The ice melted away gradually, revealing land that creatures grew on.

Don't thin we need to get into that much detail. Maybe the sun isn't a red giant. Maybe it's just 'going out'. Likely won't come up.

If it took us around 4.6 billion years to realize that our system would eventually fail, why haven't they known earlier? Did civilization just appear overnight, with no observation to the natural, or what happens around them?
    If you note in the story I posted above it was the Emperor and Empress who figured it out while in the grips of being super brains above the clouds.

I guess some of it can be explained away with magic, but that would still allow them to Scry galaxies far away, or create mirrors out of water and make primitive telescopes, or something of the like.
    I may not have made myself clear. The Liccans are probably several hundred years ahead of us ourselves, in some areas of knowledge. They just aren't nearly as technological. They like a semi-simple life, but with cold fusion powering all their needs they can build some pretty incredible things.

Cool. So, like, mystical seppuku, in a way, but with a self induced coma instead of a sword?
    Basically, yup.

I like that monks are seen as the people who are reaching peace within themselves. How are they viewed by others within the society? They don't seem like they would do much for the machine, unless they have some other function.
    Every cog needs some grease. But also they also teach mental and physical discipline. They help create a more balanced society. Think of them as high-end counselors/psychiatrists.

In the field of psychology they may be more than a thousand years beyond us. Instead of warring, their energies have been directed at balancing and stabilizing man. In this, the monks and psions may be more important than anyone else.

Basically, as a whole, this is a generally very peaceful (but not aggressive. You can be aggressive yet peaceful), very centered society. It's just very rigid and unforgiving. You insult one, or make them angry beyond tolerance, you legally duel with the reason laid out before the law. You don't brain them out of anger, you don't go on a rampage. You duel, or you hire someone to remove them from your concern. To quote Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card: "Isn't that what it means to be civilized? That you can wait to get what you want?"

This is not a Lawful Good society. It is Lawful Neutral at it's best.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2011-01-25 at 11:13 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

They aren't going to move the planet. They are literally going to be reigniting the sun with their mental potential. Or going to try. See the film Sunshine. If they can get away with all that pseudoscience, so can I.
    You mentioned Hearth falling into the sun. It is a minor issue, and reigniting the sun would only take a sufficiently powerful Energy spell.

Actually, sun starts warming up and gets 'bigger', forming into a red giant. If you want to get super technical, this planet may have been devoid of life. A planet out around Jupiter or so. As the sun got closer it started warming it up enough to start life and evolution, etc.

Or perhaps there was only an ocean, miles beneath a crust of ice. The sun began to warm it. In fact, I like that better. The ice melted away gradually, revealing land that creatures grew on.

Don't thin we need to get into that much detail. Maybe the sun isn't a red giant. Maybe it's just 'going out'. Likely won't come up.
    That would make sense.

As for the detail, I think it would help me if you did. For me personally, it breaks my ability to think within a setting when the details don't make sense, even with their own logic being applied. Speaking of which, if the Iron Body of Licc is so advanced psychologically, and/or so powerful magically, has existed for a long time, why have they not recruited more people into the cause? Why don't they find more powerful magical allies to help? Why don't they contact they Fey, who are usually very connected to the world?

If you note in the story I posted above it was the Emperor and Empress who figured it out while in the grips of being super brains above the clouds.
    I thought the drug affected one's ability to draw power from oneself, not their intelligence per se. Is that not so? Also, if they have never had any exposure to a sun slowly dying (over a period of upwards of 50 billion years), how would they even reason that out? Did their epic-super-awesome psionic powers granted from the flower find it for them?

I may not have made myself clear. The Liccans are probably several hundred years ahead of us ourselves, in some areas of knowledge. They just aren't nearly as technological. They like a semi-simple life, but with cold fusion powering all their needs they can build some pretty incredible things.
    This makes sense.

Basically, yup.
    Cool.

Every cog needs some grease. But also they teach mental discipline. They help create a more balanced society. Think of them as high-end counselors/psychiatrists.

Basically this is a generally very peaceful (but not aggressive. You can be aggressive yet peaceful), very centered society. It's just very rigid and unforgiving.

In the field of psychology they may be more than a thousand years beyond us. Instead of warring, their energies have been directed at balancing and stabilizing man. In this, the monks and psions may be more important than anyone else.
    Does one have to pay in order to get their services?
    Also, what is the work week/schedule like? How do they get work off to go to the counselor? Is there a rest period? What is the calendar like?

Interesting. I really like the flavor of this society, and I would love to play a monk from this place, full of serenity and ass whooping, as he spreads the word of the impending doom of the stars.
    Last edited by unosarta; 2011-01-25 at 11:18 PM.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #86
    Banned

You mentioned Hearth falling into the sun.
    Where?

It is a minor issue, and reigniting the sun would only take a sufficiently powerful Energy spell.
    For that power, you'd need a world of epic-leveled casters. Oh, look, there's Licc right there

Speaking of which, if the Iron Body of Licc is so advanced psychologically, and/or so powerful magically, has existed for a long time, why have they not recruited more people into the cause? Why don't they find more powerful magical allies to help? Why don't they contact they Fey, who are usually very connected to the world?
    You underestimate what pride and ego has in the human animal. Not to mention they are unlikely to find any such. It took the combined forces of nearly all the druids just to bring heat from the core to warm the upper crust when the comet hit. We're not talking simply epic here. We're talking upper Divine Rank-type power. The Liccans quite simply are trying to make themselves gods.

I thought the drug affected one's ability to draw power from oneself, not their intelligence per se. Is that not so? Also, if they have never had any exposure to a sun slowly dying (over a period of upwards of 50 billion years), how would they even reason that out? Did their epic-super-awesome psionic powers granted from the flower find it for them?
    I'm thinking it opens their perceptions. Doesn't so much make them intelligent from it. Still working on the details. Not that it'll come up much unless

Does one have to pay in order to get their services?
    Also, what is the work week/schedule like? How do they get work off to go to the counselor? Is there a rest period? What is the calendar like?
    Still considering what kind of currency they'd even have, if any. I'm thinking that all children visit them routinely until of a certain age. That is simply part of the monk's existence. Afterwards, they take them on a 'as needed' basis. Either the fellow from order of a superior, or of their own accord.

The monks would likely be part of The Body. They do what they wish, as long as it doesn't hinder the others.

Interesting. I really like the flavor of this society, and I would love to play a monk from this place, full of serenity and ass whooping, as he spreads the word of the impending doom of the stars.
    *chuckles*

Well, if he went about telling other societies they'd probably think him a crackpot, so good luck. Most folks wouldn't have frickin' clue what he'd even mean. Remember, most of the rest of the world is hardly even to Renaissance-level society, if that.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Where?
    Oops, misread failing for falling. Chalk that up to bad reading on my part.

For that power, you'd need a world of epic-leveled casters. Oh, look, there's Licc right there
    Actually, on thinking it, wouldn't they have to make it colder? I guess it would still work, but they would have to get quite a bit of coldness, or move the heat somewhere else (it is weird that there are no rules for epic psionics, since epic magic could do this in a snap).

You underestimate what pride and ego has in the human animal. Not to mention they are unlikely to find any such. It took the combined forces of nearly all the druids just to bring heat from the core to warm the upper crust when the comet hit. We're not talking simply epic here. We're talking upper Divine Rank-type power. The Liccans quite simply are trying to make themselves gods.
    I guess that makes sense. Do they know that they are trying to make themselves gods, and do it intentionally, or is it simply to bring back the sun at any cost.

I'm thinking it opens their perceptions. Doesn't so much make them intelligent from it. Still working on the details. Not that it'll come up much unless
    That makes sense. Also; unless what? They consume a small amount. Also, it isn't noted, how much is necessary for a "small dose"? How much is a large dose? Do the comatose ones simply have an intravenous tube full of Desire of the Edge tea, or something?

Still considering what kind of currency they'd even have, if any. I'm thinking that all children visit them routinely until of a certain age. That is simply part of the monk's existence. Afterwards, they take them on a 'as needed' basis. Either the fellow from order of a superior, or of their own accord.

The monks would likely be part of The Body. They do what they wish, as long as it doesn't hinder the others.
    Mayhaps the monks are a part of the mind? Also, I like the idea of no currency. Those that make music or entertainment do it because the body needs it. Those that make food make it for everyone. The idea of currency would be foreign, since everyone does what is necessary, and with extreme efficiency. Those who are most efficient are able to move up in the hierarchy. Those that aren't naturally are thrown out, to become mongrelfolk.

*chuckles*

Well, if he went about telling other societies they'd probably think him a crackpot, so good luck. Most folks wouldn't have frickin' clue what he'd even mean. Remember, most of the rest of the world is hardly even to Renaissance-level society, if that.
    Obviously. That is part of the character. Like, a mad preacher, telling the coming of the end, but really serene and calm, instead of frenzied. He/she would seek to bring the rest of the world the knowledge of the coming end, and protect them long enough for them to help Licc. Of course, he also hasn't had much exposure to outside culture, so he doesn't know that say, most humans would probably take the power for themselves, or that he is preaching to deaf ears.

[Edit]: Also, how are the classes being changed? Are they effectively the exact same? If not, monks seem like prime contenders for power points and powers, honestly. If not that, then what monk are you using?

Also, are you allowing content from sources besides yourself?

In order to explain myself in the best way I can, here is something:

Spoiler
    Show

“The ice blinds and slices. It cuts deep, and shatters bone with a single ragged breath. The ice cuts deep, it breaks into the dreams and nightmares of those who feel it, and feeds on them. The ice blinds and slices, and it drinks in the heat of pain, the aching flame of death. It skins and flays, steals and scrambles, it destroys.

The ice sings. The ice creates. The ice cries tears of blue blood, and bleeds out of gaping wounds. The ice crafts, the ice sculpts the frozen sun in the sky. The ice drips and dangles, it clears and clouds. The ice makes, the ice breaks. The ice screams with the sun.

The ice tears. The ice shatters. The ice breaks upon the hardened rock. The ice reforms. Refreezes. Remakes itself, whole.

The ice blinds the warriors of the cold. The ice slices those who fight it. The ice cuts deep, and shatters their bones with a single ragged breath. The ice cuts deep, and breaks into the dreams and nightmares of its enemies, and feeds on them. The ice blinds and slicers, and drinks in the heat of pain, the aching flame of death. It skins and flays, steals and scrambles, it destroys all that oppose.

The ice sings to me. The ice created me. The ice cries tears of blue blood upon my skin, and bleeds out of my gaping wounds. The ice crafts, the ice sculpts the from sun in the sky, and I slice it open. The ice drips and dangles, clears and clouds my vision. The ice makes me. The ice breaks me. the ice screams into the sun, and I scream with it.

The ice tears. The ice shatters. The ice breaks upon the hardened rock. The ice reforms. Refreezes. Remakes itself, whole. I tear. I shatter. I break upon the hardened rock. I reform. Refreeze. Make myself whole, in its image.

I am the snow.

I am the cold.

I am the ice.

We are the Knights of Snow.

Sing to the night, and chant the hymns of the frozen sun. Sing to the night.

Sing to the night.”
    Last edited by unosarta; 2011-01-26 at 08:45 PM.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #88
    Banned

Gaaaah. Wrote up the Mongrelfolk and now I don't have enough room for races.

Apparently I am going to have to make a new thread.

Here's what I have so far:
    Others (ramen)

Spoiler
    Show

The Others, or Mongrelfolk as the unkind call them, are peoples of who have bred with so many other human sub-races that even they are uncertain of their true heritage.

Those not derived from human stock would say that the only difference between humanity in general and the others is racial prejudiced. That to be human is to be mongrel. It is both a weakness and a strength of their people.

Others can appear as practically anything with a humanoid form. You might have a shifter/okilei/darfellan who looks like a web-eared horror come from the sea depths, or you might have a nymph wild child/cheval/raptoran who appears as an angel of almost unearthly beauty.

Others Traits
    As standard Mongrelfolk from the Fiend Folio except as follows:
    Ability Scores: Others come from such a wide background that that they may choose to add a +2 to any ability score but must also add a -2 to any.
    They may also, but are not required, to choose from amongst the following, depending on which of their bloodlines are dominant or most developed:
    - Cheval: Immunity to gaze attacks.
    - Darfellan: Gain 10 foot swim speed. Can also hold your breath for a number of rounds equal to 6 x your Constitution score before you risk drowning.
    - Free People: 40 ft. land speed
    - Goliath: Whenever you are subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), you gain half the benefits (minimum 1) of being treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to you. For example, if you would normally gain a +4 bonus to Grapple checks due to being considered Large-sized, you instead take only +2.
    - Okilei: You gain a +2 bonus to Listen checks and a +4 bonus to saves against despair effects, such as from that of a Crushing Despair spell, depression affects, those that specifically remove morale effects, and similar.
    - Raptoran: You have vestigial wings that grant a +10 racial bonus on Jump checks. You also only take half damage from falling if conscious and have free use of your wings.
    - Shifter: You gain low-light vision. You may also choose one other mongrelfolk trait in this list from which you are descended. You gain its benefits for 1 minute per 2/HD.
    - Wild Children: You gain low-light vision, as well as a +2 bonus to saves against mind-affecting effects produced by a creature without the fey type.

-=-=-=-=-=-

Even the Others seem to have a subrace, true mongrelfolk, which are the cast-offs from the Iron Body of Licc like cancerous tumors. Their people are what occurs when the mentally unstable, the physically mutated and the spiritually disgraced are forced together as a people, who then breed with the fey about them.

Liccan Mongrelfolk
    As standard Mongrelfolk from the Fiend Folio except as follows:
    Ability Scores: Mutations and mental instability are the most common reason to be cast out of Licc. They add a +4 bonus to one stat, and a -4 penalty to another.
    - Naturally Psionic: Liccan Mongrelfolk gain 1 bonus power point at 1st level. This benefit does not grant them the ability to manifest powers unless they gain that ability through another source, such as levels in a psionic class.
    - Unstable: Every 1d6 days a Liccan Mongrelfolk has a relapse of some latent condition and they lose their bonus to the chosen stat for 24 hours.
    - Weak Minded: A Liccan Mongrelfolk takes a -4 penalty to saves against Fear and Insanity.

Liccan Mongrelfolk may also come Small or Large-sized, and gain the benefits/penalties as if under the effects of a Reduce Person/Enlarge Person spell, as applicable. The bonuses/penalties to ability scores stack with those granted by the race.

A change of size adds a +1 to the LA. Otherwise LA remains +0.

Also working on 'Edge-weapons'. Cold fusion weapons that shoot electricity damage. Technically they would never run out of ammo.

Actually, on thinking it, wouldn't they have to make it colder? I guess it would still work, but they would have to get quite a bit of coldness, or move the heat somewhere else
    Hearth would get a whole lot colder, yes, but better chilled than on fire. After you've reignited an entire sun though you can probably take steps to keep Hearth from going icicle.

(it is weird that there are no rules for epic psionics, since epic magic could do this in a snap).
    There are to a degree, just no epic psionic powers. Also, I don't see how even epic-leveled magic is going to help. What kind of spells are there for energy that'd blow up several planets?

I guess that makes sense. Do they know that they are trying to make themselves gods, and do it intentionally, or is it simply to bring back the sun at any cost.
    Heck, most of them already think they're gods. They enjoy their progression, but it's the Emperor/Empress who actually has a touch of modesty. They have to be realistic. They know they aren't gods... yet. But are very ambitious. True megalomaniacs however are weeded out to the mongrelfolk.

That makes sense. Also; unless what?
    ... where'd my sentences go?

Basically, unless the players manage to somehow bypas high-tech security, most of the city itself, and into the special vaults where the druggies are kept.

Also, it isn't noted, how much is necessary for a "small dose"? How much is a large dose? Do the comatose ones simply have an intravenous tube full of Desire of the Edge tea, or something?
    The tea is enough to drive you power-crazy mad for a couple hours and then you crash, big time. The drug sends you into a permanent coma. It's super-concentrated Desire of the Edge.

Mayhaps the monks are a part of the mind?
    Working on it, but take a look at Licc's government section. Been rewriting a good chunk of the city.

Also, I like the idea of no currency. Those that make music or entertainment do it because the body needs it. Those that make food make it for everyone. The idea of currency would be foreign, since everyone does what is necessary, and with extreme efficiency. Those who are most efficient are able to move up in the hierarchy. Those that aren't naturally are thrown out, to become mongrelfolk.
    That's the idea I'm running with currently.

[Edit]: Also, how are the classes being changed? Are they effectively the exact same? If not, monks seem like prime contenders for power points and powers, honestly. If not that, then what monk are you using?
    My alter slightly, but I'm thinking the use of chi at all is part of their discipline.

Also, are you allowing content from sources besides yourself?
    Most official Wizards sources. Might snag a homebrew PrC or somesuch here and there.

In order to explain myself in the best way I can, here is something:

...We are the Knights of Snow.
    That's pretty cool reading, but you kind of lost me to it's point

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Also working on 'Edge-weapons'. Cold fusion weapons that shoot electricity damage. Technically they would never run out of ammo.
    Interesting.

Hearth would get a whole lot colder, yes, but better chilled than on fire. After you've reignited an entire sun though you can probably take steps to keep Hearth from going icicle.
    If they really needed to, couldn't they just get rid of the sun, and remake one closer to the planet, thereby removing the need for a reignition and constant monitering of the temperature of the planet? Or just make a permanent power that increased the temperature of the planet?

There are to a degree, just no epic psionic powers. Also, I don't see how even epic-leveled magic is going to help. What kind of spells are there for energy that'd blow up several planets?
    Meh. As for epic magic, Craft Epic Spell "Giant Ball of Fire", ship in a bunch of solars. Profit.

Heck, most of them already think they're gods. They enjoy their progression, but it's the Emperor/Empress who actually has a touch of modesty. They have to be realistic. They know they aren't gods... yet. But are very ambitious. True megalomaniacs however are weeded out to the mongrelfolk.
    Interesting. What do the monks think? They are also of the opinion of their divine power?

... where'd my sentences go?

Basically, unless the players manage to somehow bypas high-tech security, most of the city itself, and into the special vaults where the druggies are kept.
    That sounds... difficult, to say the least.

The tea is enough to drive you power-crazy mad for a couple hours and then you crash, big time. The drug sends you into a permanent coma. It's super-concentrated Desire of the Edge.
    Ah. So, they simply ingest the drug in flower form?

Working on it, but take a look at Licc's government section. Been rewriting a good chunk of the city.
    Will do.

My alter slightly, but I'm thinking the use of chi at all is part of their discipline.
    Interesting. I can't wait to see your take on it.

Most official Wizards sources. Might snag a homebrew PrC or somesuch here and there.
    I was mostly asking because I tend to be very inspired by cold and colder settings, and I was wanting to make a PrC for this setting. Not necessarily to be used by you for this setting, but I really wanted to write something up for it. I was just wondering if you would allow me to use your setting as a basis for the class, even if you don't use it.

That's pretty cool reading, but you kind of lost me to it's point
    See above.

Meh, I will probably write it up anyway.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #90
    Banned

If they really needed to, couldn't they just get rid of the sun, and remake one closer to the planet, thereby removing the need for a reignition and constant monitering of the temperature of the planet? Or just make a permanent power that increased the temperature of the planet?
    Suppose it's possible. Gotta make sure the old sun isn't ready to engulf them first though.

Meh. As for epic magic, Craft Epic Spell "Giant Ball of Fire", ship in a bunch of solars. Profit.
    Meh, that may be epic-leveled, but that's not as Epic

Interesting. What do the monks think? They are also of the opinion of their divine power?
    Some monks, sure, but I think most just want to learn and know. It's in their best interest to keep the rest of their people steady however.

Ah. So, they simply ingest the drug in flower form?
    Like most drugs, you take a lot of the substance, take out the key part that causes the desired effect, and combined it from numerous different flowers.

Interesting. I can't wait to see your take on it.
    Whenever I get to it anyways. Just the basics of this thing is getting too large

I was mostly asking because I tend to be very inspired by cold and colder settings, and I was wanting to make a PrC for this setting. Not necessarily to be used by you for this setting, but I really wanted to write something up for it. I was just wondering if you would allow me to use your setting as a basis for the class, even if you don't use it.
    Hey, please do. Go for it. It has an awesome intro. Just wish I could get past the basics of this campaign to give it some nice flowery polish.
    If I think it really has a place I'll add it to the PrC list if you'll allow with recognition of your making (though any who click it should see it wasn't me).