Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Against the Dragon: An ECL 20 Mini-Adventure

[color=darkgreen]"Actually I can teleport around just fine."[/spoiler]

Caster level check:

(1d20+10)[19]

2. - Top - End - #302

Over the course of the day, everyone else will need to make such a save. In all instances, you are entitled to a +5 bonus, and any defenses you have to divination or scrying attempts applies.

3. - Top - End - #303

I have Mind Blank.

4. - Top - End - #304

Quote Originally Posted by Tehnar View Post
    "Actually I can teleport around just fine."

Caster level check:

[roll0]
    The only caves in the radius are in the mountain area, bordering the swamp and desert.

The only structures are in the two towns.

No major outsiders.

Reflect attempt fails. Spell turning applies to spells.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Banned

Well if you're done I'll gladly take you back.

When he's ready, Greater Teleport to home base.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"Well that failed to reveal much, lets see what the others are up to."

Will save during day:
    (1d20+21)[31]

Once back in town Ghrem will cast Scent and Listening Lorecall, but spend the first half hour on breakfast in The Random Encounter. This gives him scent, blindsense 30' and blindsight 15'.

7. - Top - End - #307

At The Random Encounter, the lady that was originally tailed approaches, and asks, "Are you one of the strangers seeking Eolestrix?"

8. - Top - End - #308
    Banned

Yes, yes we are.

9. - Top - End - #309

That was fast. Ok, where am I during this day? If i'ts not stated, I'd like to make my way into town as a drunk beggar (that's what the disguise check was for) and follow the other team members around, begging for money as I go. I shall pester them a bit and follow, as they are rich folk or so it seems

Subtly, of course. Ya'll can keep me updated via telepathy.
    Last edited by Pharaoh's Fist; 2009-12-06 at 10:48 PM.

10. - Top - End - #310

Quote Originally Posted by Superglucose View Post
    Yes, yes we are.
    She replies, "Well then, I was asked to introduce myself. I'm Misty. I was also asked to present you with this. Good day."

She presents a folded piece of paper from the inside coat pocket of her jacket, and then turns towards the table she was sitting at.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Banned

Oh?

I unfold it and attempt to read it.

12. - Top - End - #312

Perform: Begging (1d20+13)[33] (My ioun stone that gives me +1 to rolls is not activated for obvious reasons)

"Spare an old man some money? A drink?
    Last edited by Pharaoh's Fist; 2009-12-06 at 10:50 PM.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Banned

Eh, sure.

I toss him a gold coin.

14. - Top - End - #314

"Thank you, sir."

I shall buy some cheap ale with it.

15. - Top - End - #315

Barkeep: "That's a lot of cheap ale, friend. For that much, we'll throw in a complimentary bath and room for the night. If not the room, take the bath. Please."

The letter, when unfolded, reads thusly (in common):
    Spoiler
    Show

Travellers,

I am pleased to make your acquaintance. I am to understand that you've sought an audience with me. Whilst I am most flattered that you would go to such lengths to indulge yourselves of my wisdom and wit, I must question the motives of any who seek me out so persistently.

The truest form of knowledge is gained through peace, the truest form of wisdom through harmony. If you wish an audience with me, I would be happy to grant it, however. All I ask is that you divulge yourselves of weaponry, the material components for the magics you weave, and protective gear. It can be left with the bartender at The Random Encounter. He will ensure its safekeeping until such time as you return. With this token gesture of goodwill, I will discuss the possibility of trade with you for the knowledge you seek.

With greatest esteem,
    -E

As for the speed? The woman's been waiting for y'all since she was tailed the other day. It certainly wasn't fast for her.
    Last edited by PhoenixRivers; 2009-12-06 at 11:15 PM.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Banned

Kagrenac immediately says, I'll go. He then continues, Look, I'll be careful and prepare some spells that'll get me out of there. In any case, Brass Dragons aren't going to be lying and attempting to kill the messenger, this is under a flag of truce. Besides, Lorkhan protects travelers, and I *am* a traveler at the moment.

17. - Top - End - #317

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixRivers View Post
    Barkeep: "That's a lot of cheap ale, friend. For that much, we'll throw in a complimentary bath and room for the night. If not the room, take the bath. Please."
    "That does sound nice," Seto nods, draining a mug as soon as it is presented."I guess I'll be staying here for the night... but for now..."

He will fill up on booze and hang around a bit drinking slowly and eating plenty of bread.

"I hope my party knows what they're doing. That there is a letter for them today..."

18. - Top - End - #318
    Banned

With that, Kagrenac places his mace on the table, takes off his armor, and puts his magic items on the table, and casts "Sign." Then he walks up to the bartender.

I swear by Lorkhan, god of all Travelers, that any items I hold are merely to protect my dignity. It would not do to go about naked. I must say though that our mutual friend will have to contend with me as the spokesman for my friends.
    Last edited by Superglucose; 2009-12-06 at 11:29 PM.

19. - Top - End - #319

Seto licks his lips and edges closer to the party, eyeing the gear with interest.
    Last edited by Pharaoh's Fist; 2009-12-06 at 11:31 PM.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Banned

loljk

(extra characters)
    Last edited by Superglucose; 2009-12-07 at 12:36 AM.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

PhoenixRivers:
    Spoiler
    Show
    [QUOTE=PhoenixRivers;7449460]@Toliudar:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Dragon ability doesn't reference a specific Djinni. Nor does many spells it could cast that WOULD last long enough.

I feel that one of us is misunderstanding the other, so I'll try rephrasing my point, and you can tell me which of us it is. My point was that a djinni summoned using the dragon's ability could not have created the vines that we saw in town, because a djinn's Major Creation ability takes 10 minutes to cast. Therefore, a summoned djinni did not create those vines.

I am forced, then, to assume that there is a djinni who is not summoned who contributed to the creation of the raw materials for the town. I acknowledge that the final step in my argument is speculative: that the djinn that created vines for the town is working for the dragon.

If there is a flaw in my reasoning, I'd appreciate your help in identifying it.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

22. - Top - End - #322
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

The expression on Theda's face clearly suggests that Kagronac is overestimating the altruism of brass dragons. What she says to him, however, is the following:

"If the world goes, he goes with it. I'd say that if you can convince him of the truth of the situation - that the lich is likely to destroy the world in the next few days, and that only information locked in Eolestrix' will unlock it - then he might be willing to submit to magical probes. Might be willing to trust us to kill him, question him, and raise him from the dead. If you can do that, we won't need to fight."

She manages a faint smile.

"You're braver than I am. Good luck!"
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

23. - Top - End - #323

Superglucose:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Leave me out of it, foo!

24. - Top - End - #324
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    The expression on Theda's face clearly suggests that Kagronac is overestimating the altruism of brass dragons. What she says to him, however, is the following:

"If the world goes, he goes with it. I'd say that if you can convince him of the truth of the situation - that the lich is likely to destroy the world in the next few days, and that only information locked in Eolestrix' will unlock it - then he might be willing to submit to magical probes. Might be willing to trust us to kill him, question him, and raise him from the dead. If you can do that, we won't need to fight."
    I plan to have this conversation with as little bloodshed as possible, perhaps we can simply get the information from him without resorting to killing or maiming. Maybe, even, we can end this sordid affair without even having to destroy the lich. Maybe Elostrix has enough sway to convince the lich to not do what he is about to do. In any case, I know that even if it is a sacrifice it won't be worthless. Make sure my equipment goes to a good cause.

She manages a faint smile.

"You're braver than I am. Good luck!"
    To be very honest, I'm not all that brave. All I know is that going into this there are very few outcomes, and only two of them end up with me not being right here afterwords: he kills me or he imprisons me. Imprison is a trivial spell to reverse, considering that I have a Wizard and a Sorceror with me. If I die, well... I'll either be with Lorkhan or you'll revive me. So what's there to be brave about?

25. - Top - End - #325

@Toliudar:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, but what I'm saying is that many spells can call Djinni for the length of time required, and few of them require a long standing working arrangement. Various Planar Ally and calling spells, gate, etc. None of them obligate the summoner/caller to use the same one repeatedly, just as your wizard isn't obligated to contact the same entity twice when he uses CoP.

In other words, it's entirely possible that while Djinni are the one of the dragon's most used tools (small enough to go places it can't get easily, possessed of numerous SLA's, 1 in 100 can perform a wish or three), there's no obligation for the dragon to really care WHICH djinni it calls. Hence, the name isn't required for the question, because the dragon has no favor preference over any of the djinni it's called and summoned. Upside, there's probably more than one Djinni that knows information about Eolestrix. Downside, it's more difficult to get pointed to any specific one.

That's all OOC information, however.

@Kagrenac: The innkeeper eyes you and the beggar, before replying simply, "If you do not come back, it is because you give her reason to strike you. If you can avoid that, then you'll wear your rings again soon enough."

With that, he collects the items handed to you, and takes them to a back room. Misty states, "Exit the town, and travel west to the mountains, where they meet the desert. Eolestrix will instruct you further from there." With that, she hands you a simple silver ring (nonmagical), and instructs you to wear it during the travel.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Banned

I slip on the ring.

Is it wise to be travelling without protection? Without a symbol of my God or weapons or armor, I am quite defenseless against creatures roving the wilderness. I can flee, perhaps, but not much more than that.

27. - Top - End - #327

Misty smiles. "You'll find the surrounding area has remarkably little in the way of hostile forces, apart from the swamp to the Northeast. One of the benefits of having a friendly watchful eye over our settlement. Still, if you are concerned about it, I'm sure one of your allies can bestow some form of protection upon you. I've not seen any who seek out Eolestrix that have not had, at the least, the capability of flight.

Worry not. I've never seen anyone sent to Eolestrix that did not reach her safely."

EDIT: OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I wasn't expecting ANYONE to take the dragon up on that offer, especially judging how paranoid the party has been thus far. I was giggling to myself, hoping that you'd go through with a kidnapping to find a letter of goodwill and parley. The irony would have been too awesome.
    Last edited by PhoenixRivers; 2009-12-07 at 02:41 AM.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Banned

Well in that case...

Kagrenac turns heel and exits the door with a wave to his comrads, and moves towards the edge of town. He takes the ring and puts it somewhere safe and walks off for a second, saying Well I must go to the bathroom, and if this ring aids in scrying at all... well... I'd prefer you don't watch me on the toilet.

Then he gets a scrap of paper and writes a note to Theda and pays a passing child to deliver it to her asap, paying him one gold with the promise of another shiny gold piece if the message is delivered as intended and unread by him or her. After that he grabs the ring again and, smiling, walks off to his meeting wearing his new silver.

For Theda:
    Spoiler
    Show

Theda,

I haven't defended myself today. Anyone could see me where I'm going, and I'll stay in plain sight just in case something happens to me. Keep the kids safe!

--Kagrenac

ooc:
    Spoiler
    Show

Lol! My wizards charge into combat with daggers to provide flank for the rogue/fighter. I'm paranoid but also a bit of suicidal, it means I'll charge right into your trap but I'll make sure I have contingencies up.
    Last edited by Superglucose; 2009-12-07 at 02:45 AM.

29. - Top - End - #329

Assumption: You give enough information to the child to allow her to do so.

I'll take the above for granted. ;)

@Theda: You receive the above message, about 1 hour after Kagrenac leaves. It looks slightly smudged and creased on the outside, as would be expected if a child were to carry it around for some time. The inside seems clean, however. He looks at you expectantly, as he hands you the letter.

@Kagrenac: You reach the mountain range without incident (3 hour trip, at a moderate pace). Your actual path was evidently not precisely west, because the glowing lights you see dancing about are quite some distance away. Approaching to within 500 feet, you can see that they circle a large boulder of some sort. You can take it from there (at a safe distance that allows you to determine your approach to this anomaly).

@All, except Kagrenac: If you decide, for some reason, to do anything involving Kagrenac, let me know what you're doing and how you go about doing it. Otherwise, inform me of how you're being productively productive while your Clerical support goes into the belly of the beast (not literally, we hope).

Spoiler
    Show
    Trap? Come now, I'd be pretty unsporting if I used a honorable parley message to reduce the number of members in the party by one.
    Last edited by PhoenixRivers; 2009-12-07 at 03:07 AM.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixRivers View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Trap? Come now, I'd be pretty unsporting if I used a honorable parley message to reduce the number of members in the party by one.
    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Well I believe I've ensured that even if ... OH BLEEP! Quick retcon, please. I meant to have kagrenac give Theda a hug and a kiss on the cheek before leaving.
    Last edited by Superglucose; 2009-12-07 at 03:20 AM.