New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 49 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481

Default Re: Against the Dragon: An ECL 20 Mini-Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by Tehnar View Post
    "Ah, I have been found, and rescued from the dreary ale this town has and a poor excuse for a tavern. I take it the parley did not go so well? 'Tis not a suprise. So have you learned anything? Never make a deal with dragons!"
    *Scribble scribble*

*Yes, yes, now let's get going*

2. - Top - End - #482

Most of the town seems to be shutting down. At least, the non-essential parts. Inns, Taverns, the like. All are bolting their doors.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Banned

Anyone have a way of keeping us from being scryed on tonight so we can discuss plans? I suggest multiple castings of Mind Blank. We'll need them up for the upcoming fight anyways.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Theda nods at Kagronac's statement, and continues to dress and pack.

"Perhaps we could continue this on another plane."

She looks around, hoping that Ghrem and (therefore) Seto would be rejoining them soon. She'd feel a lot better once they were together again.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

5. - Top - End - #485

If you're all in agreement, and have the resources to do so, then consider it done.

6. - Top - End - #486

"Kagrenac, perhaps you'd like to set your contingency summon to being knocked out?" Seto suggests, upon returning.

(Everyone join hands and we'll begin the Plane Shift.)
    Last edited by Pharaoh's Fist; 2009-12-15 at 08:22 AM.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Theda and Terry join hands, or claws, with the others. She takes a last look around to make sure they're not leaving anything behind.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

8. - Top - End - #488

And everyone in the party is whatever plane Seto chooses.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

After the spellcasters have taken any precautions they deem necessary, and told those that were not there what happened, Ghrem will ask:

Its a tough beastie we have on our hands. What are the abilities of Brass Dragons anyway? Do we have a way to counter its powerful sleep inducing ability?

10. - Top - End - #490

"Immune to fire, vulnerable to cold, can summon Djinn, good spell resistance, casts lots of spells."

11. - Top - End - #491
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"What about the way Kagrenac fell asleep? Do we have a way to protect against that. I know of a spell that will awake you, once you are sleeping, but does not protect. Also we should figure out a way to remove that fog, or any other weather effects that might come up."

12. - Top - End - #492

"We have a druid. That should work. I propose we either turn it into wind, or rain. The rain would make it obvious where the dragon is, as the water would outline its position in the sky."

13. - Top - End - #493
    Banned

If we don't crowd up we should be fine.

14. - Top - End - #494

Which plane do we want to go to, btw?

15. - Top - End - #495

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh's Fist View Post
    Which plane do we want to go to, btw?
    I vote for the "Plane of No Random Encounters as long as you spend no more than 10 hours there".

16. - Top - End - #496
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"I shall prepare Dawn a couple of times, it should wake up any sleepers. Personally I don't have/need much preparation to do. My special arrows are ready, and you agreed to counter the fog or other weather anomalies that may happen. I would just ask that you try to keep the dragons buffs down. Do you require anything special from me?"

OOC: Ghrem is pretty self reliant, doesn't need buffs or such (though it would be good if he got them). Just ask that you keep the weather conditions normal (rain is ok, hurricane winds not so much), and dispel the dragon as needed.

17. - Top - End - #497
    Banned

ooc:
    I plan to supply the deathwarding for us all. As well as Freedom of Movement for anyone who doesn't have a ring. Let me know now.

18. - Top - End - #498

I have the ring, though I lack Deathward.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Same here. So whats the plan? Cast buffs here and then teleport near his cave?

20. - Top - End - #500
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Sounds good to me, I can supply Mindblanks for the team and then focus on debuffs and dispells. Incidentally, I here the Bytopia is lovely this time of year.

OOC: Please could you ping me a copy of the sheet you have for Torvin Pheonix? I would like to use the one you've got but at the moment the only one I have access to is the one I've been dickering around with on mythweavers.
    Last edited by mostlyharmful; 2009-12-16 at 01:58 AM.
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.

21. - Top - End - #501

Quote Originally Posted by mostlyharmful View Post
    OOC: Please could you ping me a copy of the sheet you have for Torvin Pheonix? I would like to use the one you've got but at the moment the only one I have access to is the one I've been dickering around with on mythweavers.
    OOC: As I said before, my PC crashed, and I lost the snapshots. The most accurate sheet I have is the link you provided, which is on page 1, OP of this thread. I would appreciate if you ceased the sheet alterations, or at the least, cloned the sheet and provided me with the copy, so that we can have an unaltered sheet.
    Last edited by PhoenixRivers; 2009-12-16 at 08:47 AM.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Theda nods.

"I can take care of the fog, and the freedom of movement for myself. I'll also be able to provide protection from fire for those who need it, but if she's smart - and clearly she is - she may have some way to turn her breath into something else anyway. I'm more worried about the invisibility."

She purses her lips.

"And we still don't actually know where her cave is. There's no way that that parley point was her lair. I picked up a large cave to the west that we may want to check out, but who knows if that's it either.

"And, to make matters worse, that dam protection from spells thing she has will keep us from just bringing down the rest of her protections one at a time. If I can't find her and we can't hit her and we can't use spells against her, it's going to make it a bit harder."

23. - Top - End - #503
    Banned

Oh sure we can. There are magical ways to solve every mundane problem. Often a mundane way or two as well, to be fair, but always there are the magical ways. What concerns me more is that she not only has access to spells normally only available to wizards, but is also apparently a powerful divine caster as well. There are not many wizards or sorcerors who can cast Miracle with any reliability, or Death Ward.

24. - Top - End - #504

OOC: I hope you know the answer to that one OOC, at least. :)

25. - Top - End - #505
    Banned

OOC: Actually no. I don't play high level D&D anymore because my GM hates letting people level, and I never ended up playing arcane casters in high level games for various reasons.

26. - Top - End - #506

Quote Originally Posted by Superglucose View Post
    OOC: Actually no. I don't play high level D&D anymore because my GM hates letting people level, and I never ended up playing arcane casters in high level games for various reasons.
    OOC: Brass dragons, like many (not all) other dragons, choose their sorceror spells from the following lists:

Sorceror/Wizard
    Cleric
    2 other Domains

All are cast as arcane spells.
    Last edited by PhoenixRivers; 2009-12-16 at 12:43 PM.

27. - Top - End - #507
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"We don't have to find her lair, if she comes out to meet us again. Actually better not to fight on her terms, in her lair, who knows what kind of devious traps await there? Open space offers much more to us then to her."

OOC (everyone can read):
    Spoiler
    Show
    Phoenix, whats your take on invisibility and Efflugent Epuration. Since the spell creates ~20 colossal sized spheres (for the dragon, but even if it creates medium sized ones the question stands) that hover around the caster, are they invisible as well?

@Phoenix
    Spoiler
    Show
    What's your take on giving metagame advice? Ghrem knows nothing about dragons, or spells; do you feel it is alright to give advice to other players, even in OOC, about what spells to memorize and use to defeat the dragon?
    Last edited by Tehnar; 2009-12-16 at 01:29 PM.

28. - Top - End - #508

Quote Originally Posted by Tehnar View Post
    "We don't have to find her lair, if she comes out to meet us again. Actually better not to fight on her terms, in her lair, who knows what kind of devious traps await there? Open space offers much more to us then to her."

OOC (everyone can read):
    Spoiler
    Show
    Phoenix, whats your take on invisibility and Efflugent Epuration. Since the spell creates ~20 colossal sized spheres (for the dragon, but even if it creates medium sized ones the question stands) that hover around the caster, are they invisible as well?

@Phoenix
    Spoiler
    Show
    What's your take on giving metagame advice? Ghrem knows nothing about dragons, or spells; do you feel it is alright to give advice to other players, even in OOC, about what spells to memorize and use to defeat the dragon?
    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spheres will be visible. That could reveal the squares the dragon's in.

@Meta:
    Spoiler
    Show
    My take on meta is this: Don't. If you wish to provide information based on IC information, by all means. If you wish to provide information based on weaker dragons of other types, by all means. You've likely fought a young adult/adult or two in your time. (this would give you a lower DC for the knowledge checks, providing more useful information)

But specific advice on a great wyrm brass? No. Go with advice generic for all dragons, esp younger ones, but leave off the advice for Gargantuan/Colossal dragon attack abilities (such as crush/tail sweep/etc), and advice for high level dragons.

When in doubt, consider it a very very big melee beast that also happens to be essentially an archmage. As expected of large creatures, it's highly grapple capable. Unlike most large creatures, it's exceptionally quick in the air, able to match even the fastest flight spells in movement. They favor both spells and melee, and each dragon is highly individual, much like any caster.

If you want to give him a couple pointers on spells, I'm cool, but don't try to write his list for him. His character is his.

29. - Top - End - #509
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Superglucose View Post
    Oh sure we can. There are magical ways to solve every mundane problem. Often a mundane way or two as well, to be fair, but always there are the magical ways. What concerns me more is that she not only has access to spells normally only available to wizards, but is also apparently a powerful divine caster as well. There are not many wizards or sorcerors who can cast Miracle with any reliability, or Death Ward.
    Theda nods, relieved.

"Excellent. So, what would you suggest we do about the Effulgent whatsis, then? Because even if you were to use an anti-magic field, it wouldn't be big enough to include all of the dragon. And the only way I can think of to reliably draw the dragon to us would be to start destroying the town, and that prospect doesn't thrill me either."

30. - Top - End - #510
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"Ummm, shoot it good?. What does what's its name do anyway?"

I see no reason to harm anyone in the town, even if they are collaborating with the dragon. Though it would be good if we could fight the dragon in a place that is confined. Though it will be unlikely we could draw it to such a place."