New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [4e] The Cabinet of Faces - The Left Hand

One by one, the members of the Left Hand make their way to the Brelish capital of Wroat to rendezvous with the rest of the group.

((Please describe how you arrive at the Tangle Inn.))

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [4e] The Cabinet of Faces - The Left Hand

Cassidy wakes up in her room at the Firegod's Fancy in Sharn. She grins to herself - finally, a mission. She is in the form of the human seamstress persona she has been using while staying in Sharn. She sleeps the rest of the night mundanely and then, in the morning, packs her things and takes the form of a cleaning boy she had seen the previous day. She leaves the inn confident of her disguise and then assumes the form of a small-time merchant looking to buy up product in Wroat. She joins a caravan, and is in the Brelish capitol swiftly. Assuming the guise of the barbarian woman, she finds the Tangle Inn.

A tall woman with long, raven coloured hair strolls into the Tangle Inn, a massive flail slung across her back. She takes a seat at the bar and orders a strong mead. She appears to be waiting for someone.
    Last edited by Shadow_Elf; 2009-12-21 at 05:56 PM.
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

Io awakes in the academy, and quickly grabs his pack and says farewell to his master, Cyan.

I'm sorry Master, but my destiny awaits me. I have no choice. Io says, and a sad Cyan presents Io with a small package, with clear instructions on when to open it.

A Brelish Messenger is seen on a fast horse riding from Cragwar to Market.

An ugly female dwarf rides the lightning rail south to Wroat, though spends much of it napping.

A male elf with long white hair wearing a brown robe enters the Tangle inn. Aloofly he sits down at the bar and orders a red wine.
    The ceiling falls on you.
    "I...parry it?"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Seeing Io's persona enter, Cassidy moves a few seats down the bar to sit next to him.

Good evening, sir. rumbles the powerfully built woman. I am Maela Swiftmace, world-class barbarian. May I have the pleasure of your name? To make sure Io knows it is Cass, she flashes the Sleepweaver just so he can see.

OOC: Do I need to make a bluff or stealth check to make sure no one else notices the Sleepweaver, or is the Inn busy enough that there is no chance someone else will see the small gesture?
    Also, pardon the Fire Emblem reference.
    Last edited by Shadow_Elf; 2009-12-21 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Canadian English and vBulletin Code are not friends
    My Homebrew
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

The elf swirls his wine glass nonchalantly. I am called Ianmorn Loreweaver.
    "I...parry it?"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

After waking with a start, Nit returned to a restful sleep. When morning came, he rifled through a variety of cloaks and insignias until he found the symbols he wanted -- the coins and scales of Kol Korran. He attached the cloak to his otherwise nondescript armor, then adopted the appearance of a handsome and clean-cut young man.

His new appearance was notably different from the way he had looked in the bar. His changeling form was tall and stout, without muscle or fat to speak of; Nit was one of the few who could honestly call themselves "big-boned." His new form was ... well, almost cute.

The fact was, Nit had unconsciously taken to adopting forms that were fairly small and lithe some time ago. With the proper disposition, finding lovers was as easy in one form as another, and it just felt more natural, insofar as a changeling feels at home in any body. Once he had taken up residence at the Temple of the Traveler, though, it was almost a necessity -- fitted plate armor does not resize well. This led to a rather amusing situation where his armor actually would not fit his birthform.

No matter, though. A trickier issue was that of inconspicuous travel -- full suits of plate mail were hardly common garb. To solve this, Nit had begun collecting cloaks and insignias that marked him as a paladin of any deity he chose. He was particularly fond of the more neutral deities, such as Onatar and Kol Korran, as they were generally unlikely to inspire random strangers to ask him for help (or flee in terror). Plus, it was simply in his nature to hide his appearance, as a changeling or follower of The Traveler. It was odd now to join the company of others who had seen his true self, all the more so because he had never before met another (known) changeling -- at least in person. This had some potential...

As Nit pondered the possibilities of changeling romance, he stepped outside and headed to the lightning rail. He shifted to his "usual" face to match his ID for the train ride, then shifted back before setting about finding the inn.

--------

After entering the inn, it took all of three seconds for Nit to identify his companions. Flashing them both a winning smile, he pulls up a stool and sits.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'd check for identification, but 22 passive insight has to count for something, right?
    Last edited by Hashmir; 2009-12-21 at 11:04 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

It was the face Dolores awoke to that scared her the most. It was not the act that scared her - at least, not enough that she hadn't thought to dread it. She had changed in her sleep sometimes, during good dreams or bad dreams or any dream at all. No, it was the face - the face she had in no dreams, the face she came to fear. It greeted her in the mirror, stalked her around the room, like a hyena chasing prey.

It took her half an hour to calm down, for the face with the smile to come back. Yes. That was who she was now. Soon, she remembered her mission, and sooner still, a red headed, freckled human woman replaced Dolores. The woman walked downstairs, ordered a light lunch, and by early afternoon, was off to the docks.
    ~~~~~

Around late afternoon of the same day, a elven woman walks into the establishment known as the Tangle Inn. She is small, around 5'2", with bright blond hair, and wears a colorful outfit of blue, black, and gray under a plain set of leather armor. An earring in the shape of a serpent eating itself hangs from her left ear, and a familiar smile is set upon her face, pressing a spade-shaped birthmark to the top of her cheek. Approaching the bar, she orders a cranberry juice, and takes a seat beside that of the heavily armored, 'cute' man.
    Character Roster:
    Spoiler
    Show

Just when you thought you had the advantage,
    A riddle backstabbed you for critical damage.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

The innkeeper is a young halfling man with fiery red hair and a X-shaped scar on his left cheek. He looks at the group that just arrived, wondering if they are the ones he was waiting for. No, they probably aren't. Looks like he will have to wait much longer for the right group to arrive.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

A different man, clad in heavy boots, a tricorn hat, and a long, leather overcoat, took his seat next to the "elf". His face, thought a little swarthy, and certainly scruffy, is handsome and well kept, and his long, black ponytail is tied back with an old bandanna. His fingerless gloves and white shirt are the same that Pax wore back at the Cafe', and his drink is a lemonade. A cutlass hangs by his side, and daggers fill his belt.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Seeing all four of her companions arrived, Maela Swiftmace turns to the comparatively tiny barman. We are looking for Berem of the Emerald, barman. My companions and I were told that you could... what is the word... she mumbles, her terrible grasp of her native Common togue evident. ... direct us? she says, unsure of her choice of words, and looks to her companions for confirmation that her words are correct.
    Last edited by Shadow_Elf; 2009-12-22 at 02:39 PM.
    My Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

The innkeeper looks up at you and hands you a key. "This will open one of the private rooms in the basement. I will be there shortly to serve food and drink."

The food is good, worthy of the Ghallanda Seal of Approval, and the drink rivals that found in the Cafe. The innkeeper waits for you to finish before introducing himself.

"I am Berem. I presume the Bartender sent you. Your horses will be ready tomorrow. I'm not going to ask you what your business is here in Wroat, but I would like you to tell the Bartender that I have learned my lesson, and that I don't want to be stuck like this forever."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

"We kin do tha' fir ya," The elf speaks up, wiping her mouth with a napkin. Ye've done us'a service, le'st we kin is'a service 'n turn." She flashes a toothy smile, to try and put the proprietor at ease.
    Character Roster:
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Indeed. We can convey your message, Sir Berem. affirms Maela. I will convey the message myself, barbarian's honour she proclaims, smacking her upper-left chest with a closed right fist.
    My Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

"Yes, on my honor as a paladin of..."

Nit squinted at the emblem currently affixed to the front of his armor.

"...Kol Korran, we shall let him know."

With the meal finished, he made to rise and retreat to their lodgings for the night.

Spoiler
    Show
    No reason to wait for five unique confirmations of message-taking, right?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

Io lowers his eyes at Berem.

What did you do to earn such an unimpressive form?
    "I...parry it?"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Berem laughs. "Unimpressive form? This is my true form, friend. Just remember not to sign a Geas if you don't intend to fulfill the obligations. But that is a story for another time."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Maela stands up and retreats to their lodgings, eager to get a good night's sleep.

OOC: Do we need to specify lodging arrangements? Because, while she likes them enough as people, I doubt Cass would want to spend the night in the same room as Pax or Nit .
    My Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

Io laughs at the Innkeeper.

Duly noted good sir.

Then he retires to his room.
    "I...parry it?"

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Pax grins. "No worries, sir. Everything'll be taken care of in due time." With a last gulp of lemonade, Pax climbs upstairs and retires to his room... but not before clapping his companions on the shoulders, leaning in with a whisper.

"Alright, mates, now let's be careful, hmm? Too many times, I've been jumped in an unfamiliar inn by people who don't know what you're capable of... or, worse, people who do. The way I figure, if someone else came first, and they got offed in their sleep here, then we'd have heard about it beforehand, but that doesn't mean we should be lazy, yes? I... really enjoy my privacy, but we should try to bunk up when we can afford it. I say, two to a room. And no funny business, of course." The scruff along his face and neck almost made the following grin a little more comical than usual, but the hoarse chuckle that accompanied it almost made it seem... off-putting.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

A good night's sleep refreshes your mind and body after all that traveling. It is an odd, dreamless sleep, seemingly instantaneous; you remember going to bed at night, and a moment later, you wake up and the sun is up.

The ruins of Glyphstone Keep lies on the eastern bank of the Dagger River to the northwest of Wroat. Glyphstone Keep once housed Breland's finest warmages, ready to teleport to the front lines wherever they were needed. A magical accident (though some whisper sabotage) in the middle of the Last War leveled Glyphstone Keep. Fortunately, the Keep was evacuated swiftly enough to prevent any casualties. With its location not having any strategic value, Glyphstone Keep was abandoned and the warmages were scattered all over Breland to prevent another catastrophe from wiping out the country's magical arsenal.

Glyphstone Keep is very old, dating back to before the Dhakaani Empire. The Dhakaani found it abandoned and used it for themselves, and the people of Galifar did the same. The name comes from the mysterious dragonmark-like rock formations surrounding the Keep, which marks its importance among scholars who study the Draconic Prophecy.

As you approach the ruins, the wind slowly dies down and the sounds of nature slowly cease. By the time you reach what remains of the gate, there is no wind at all and no animal calls to be heard. There is also no sign of the missing adventurers whose identities you have taken, no tracks in the dirt or anything to indicate that anyone had been here in some time.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

As they approach the Glyphstone Keep, Maela's features soften, her muscles slacken and her hair shows a greenish shimmer. A dark intelligence that was absent before sparks in her eyes, and the greatmace on her back unravels into a long length of spiked chain.

Cassidy grins. Finally, some real fun. So, we gunna open this gate or what? she says cheerily in tones the others recognize from the Rainbow Falls Cafe. She still superficially looks somewhat like Maela, but she also definitely looks like Cassidy.
    My Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Pax sighed, the corner of his mouth pulled into something resembling worry. While he was sure that he and his allies were competent enough for the job, this was his... first real try with his new powers, and he was completely out of his element. There weren't any people around. There weren't any crowds to blend into. And something told him that whatever was still up in that keep wouldn't care if he didn't look like himself. A dagger in the back is a dagger in the back, no matter who you are, and teeth probably didn't make much of a distinction either.

Then again, whatever was in there probably played with the same rules. The corner of his mouth tugged into a smile, and he fingered the hilt of his sword idly before strolling up to the gate. Well then! Looks like this place hasn't exactly been heavy with traffic now, has it? Makes you wonder where this supposed other team went. Hell, the gate might even be locked, for all I can tell."

Pax bent over the gate to see if there was any sort of lock on it, and if he'd need to open it. As he turned back to see his fellows, the old grin was on his face, and his facial hair had grown away. Already, his hair was lighter, his body was slightly thinner, slightly paler. He chuckled, and tossed a glance at Cass. "I hope you don't mind the imitation, 'Maela'. Never thought of mixing them like that before while on duty, y'know? And would you guys mind keeping an eye out for me while we're in there? This whole dungeon crawling deal usually isn't my bag; I'm a little new at this."

Spoiler
    Show
    If the gate needs a Thievery check to open, Pax rolls a (1d20+10)[24]. If not, then hey, no roll needed.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Nit grinned, his teeth positively gleaming in the bright sun.

"Just keep me between you and any nasties we might find, and you should be ok."

He moved to the front of the group, drawing his sword and shield.

"You know, it's not often I go looking for trouble. It usually finds me. I think I like it."

With that, he went through the gate.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm assuming that the 24 is good enough to beat any lock the gate has; otherwise we'd just Aid Another/Strength check it to death anyway. I'm also assuming there are no objections to the paladin leading the way.

By the way, is there a place where we have everyone's character sheets together? I'd really like to know the specifics of everyone's builds if we get into combat. Mine is in my sig for convenience.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

No objections at all, gentlemen, on either count. laughs Cassidy, getting off her horse and unraveling her chain, setting it into its deadly rhythm. If things got ugly... and she was pretty sure they would... she wanted to be prepared. Her mind focused to a sharp point of clarity, she was ready to meet whatever came. That intense focus and readiness extend outwards from her, and her companions felt their minds and senses sharpen as Cassidy's enveloping mantle of clarity reached out to them, unmuddling their thoughts.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Everyone gets +2 Insight and Perception while within 5 squares of Cassidy. So, unless you're scouting ahead, you're getting that bonus. Keep that in mind when we get jumped by zombies or something. Might just save us from a nasty surprise round.

Also, I think we should all post links to our sheets in the OOC thread, and ask JS to compile them in the OP of the OOC thread. Does that make sense?
    Last edited by Shadow_Elf; 2009-12-22 at 11:54 PM.
    My Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

The good nature of his companions was getting to him, and in the most delightful way. Pax couldn't help but display a full grin, even chuckling as he swung the gate open, following close behind the Paladin. "Hey, if you mates just point at something you need dead, I'm pretty sure I can knock it out as fast as you need me to. I just need to get used to the whole 'I can't just run into the market square and shift' thing, y'know? I figured we'd be working in a more... populated area, where more of my talents other than a strong throwing arm and talented fingers might come in handy."

Spoiler
    Show
    Good idea there, Shadow. Pax is in my signature, so quick and easy access is right down there if we need it until then.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Dolores, still in the guise she had worn as they left the inn, had just finished tying her horse to a nearby piece of crumbling masonry before she catches up to the rest of the group. "Aaah, ye'll be fine," she says, joining in on the conversation. "A man like ye'self mus'ta ma'na talents...like "peggin' a'swall'a a'thirty paces" o' "keepin' pace o' tha mob fo'h t'ree days". 'Sides, tha place blee's a'kinda...potentia'. Don't ye'think?"

She seems fully 'in character'.
    Character Roster:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

Io stands calm and nods to Nit.

Lead the way friend, and try to corner any opposition so my power becomes unescapable.

OOC: driving home for xmas today, so Io will be light on conversation until tonight.
    "I...parry it?"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Pax cocked an eye at the "dwarf" and raised a finger, letting his jaw drop just a little before picking himself up. "Erm... I do want to keep up appearances, but... would you mind paring down the accent just a tad? I'm not used to Dwarven company."

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

The elf gives a confused smile to Pax in return. "Wherever would the fun in that be?" The smile drops in surprise, her gaze drifting off while her brow furrows. "Seems I've lost...Clever." She turns a sharp-eyed grin to the rogue. "But I'm on to you, now." With that, the still-elven Dolores follows after Nit, her smile now its normal, placid self.
    Character Roster:
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Cassidy laughs. Well, what are we waiting for? We've got a keep to explore and group of less than competent adventurers to save! Nit, if you'd be so kind as to open the front door?
    My Homebrew