New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default gray ooze a fair monster?

a character (level 7 actually) managed to stumble into a gray ooze in a cavern and got affected by this:

Acid (Ex)
    A gray ooze secretes a digestive acid that quickly dissolves organic material and metal, but not stone. Any melee hit or constrict attack deals acid damage. Armor or clothing dissolves and becomes useless immediately unless it succeeds on a DC 16 Reflex save. A metal or wooden weapon that strikes a gray ooze also dissolves immediately unless it succeeds on a DC 16 Reflex save. The save DCs are Constitution-based.

The ooze’s acidic touch deals 16 points of damage per round to wooden or metal objects, but the ooze must remain in contact with the object for 1 full round to deal this damage.

Is this ability just badly written or what?
    The masterwork heavy armour the player used was dissolved after a failed reflex save and the creature promptly died, but still by the wording it can dissolve just about anything, magical or not... (even a adamantine mountain plate)

The player just felt a bit sad at the loss and moved on to get his spare clothes out of his bag, but i still feel this ability is a bit badly written, what does the forum say about this?
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *As a DM I run sand-box games.
    Challenge me.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGirl

Default Re: gray ooze a fair monster?

No worse than a rust monster...
    I have to give Paizo credit...

They took an established work and said they fixed it but didn't actually fix it and yet still made money off from it.

How can you beat that?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Pretty much that, yes.

Oozes are just moving acid pools.
    They are useful if players start to look like walking magic shops.
    Otherwise, no other use than garbage bin or janitor.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Most oozes, slimes and molds are "be careful or die" monsters.

They're a very good reason xp is also given for avoiding an encounter.

Best way to deal with them is to suck up the loss of whatever is melted the first round, run away, and throw stones at it from range.

As for its ability to melt magic items, they get extra bonuses to resist the acid effects (2+Cl needed to create) so they have a better chance of surviving an encounter. For the sake of fairness and sanity, however, my group has always played with the houserule that on a failed save, the item takes the acid damage as normal, modified by hardness and is only rendered useless and destroyed if its HP are dropped to zero.

It makes no sense that metal is instantaneously destroyed, but flesh takes only 1d6 damage a round. That would be some crazy acid, to be more corrosive to metal by several orders of magnitude. Even if such an acid did exist, whatever salts were created by the decomposition would also be highly toxic, and likely cause immediate death upon skin contact.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

Oozes are slow and melee-range monsters. A party with casters or range-capable characters can quite easily deal with them through range, spells and Knowledge-checks (very key to not having your equipment broken). But yeah, they're pretty deadly, especially to melee characters who are already behind and are hurt worse by losing their weapon or armor. Eh, hope you have a Druid along, I guess.

And yeah, automatically dissolving items is just a poorly written part. It's supposed to deal the 16-point Acid-damage on a failed Ref-save. Armors can take that for quite a while, as can most magic weapons.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-01-04 at 05:25 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

And yeah, automatically dissolving items is just a poorly written part. It's supposed to deal the 16-point Acid-damage on a failed Ref-save. Armors can take that for quite a while, as can most magic weapons.
    For the sake of fairness and sanity, however, my group has always played with the houserule that on a failed save, the item takes the acid damage as normal, modified by hardness and is only rendered useless and destroyed if its HP are dropped to zero.
    Yea something along these lines is what i was thinking too, i am not running your classic dungeon-crawl btw, it is more a "persistent world of believability" with the players sand-boxing it out as they please.

And i find creatures like this to be rather broken in such a context, same with rust-monsters really, don't like using such monsters as they can have such a large impact on the world.

But then again it is not good to always go silk-gloves on the players if you know what i mean.
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    Challenge me.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Grey oozes, rust monsters, human or humanoid enemies who focus on sundering, etc. is basically the DMs "subtle" way of telling the players that they have too much/too powerful loot.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I loved the old school slimes. Which slime was it from AD&D that automatically seeks out spell casters and eats their memorized spells?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

If you think those are bad don't look at ooze paraelemental monoliths. Destroying gear with DCs in the 40s I think... now if only I could remember which Dragon Magazine that was. Ooze paraelementals in general are pretty bad (there's a reason I didn't put ooze paraelemental monoliths in my Lv 21 elemental dungeon [no Epic Spellcasting])
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

On a second note: how legal is dragon magazine stuff considered to be?
    I have always looked at dragon magazine stuff as sort of non-official.
    Challenge me.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Otodetu View Post
    It's as "official" as any splat material outside core IE it's officially endorsed by Wizards but not RAW.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Less legal than WotC-published stuff, more legal than third party sources. Even though it's a third party source itself, it's quote-unquote sanctioned by Wizards. Like Nintendo Power for Nintendo, since that one's no longer produced in-house.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Johel View Post
    Pretty much that, yes.

Oozes are just moving acid pools.
    They are useful if players start to look like walking magic shops.
    Otherwise, no other use than garbage bin or janitor.
    What about the ethereal ooze. From either Fiend Folio or MM3. While fully ethereal it can pull anyone in a square it occupies fully into the ethereal realm. Even killing it wont send them back. Ultimate railroading tool there. Bonus points if only the party fighter gets pulled into the Ethereal Realm (Will save after all).

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

It's/They've always been in between 3rd-party splat books and WotC splatbooks.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by jmbrown View Post
    It's as "official" as any splat material outside core IE it's officially endorsed by Wizards but not RAW.
    What the heck does that mean?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sofawall View Post
    What the heck does that mean?
    Duh, that Dragon Magazine is not written, but is rather passed down from generation to generation by oral/poetic tradition.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jmbrown View Post
    I loved the old school slimes. Which slime was it from AD&D that automatically seeks out spell casters and eats their memorized spells?
    Wasn't that Obliviax (memory moss)?