New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, MK XXI - Death is not Maltak

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn183 View Post
    You know, that bit with snuggly reminded me that the strongest magics are kept in the capital. Does that mean that there might exist something stronger than Mommy Deegan?
    Spoiler
    Show

Yes, and my private theory is that he's in charge now, because the Royal Knights of Callan were proved not reliable enought paws. So he created the Battlecasters to have even more power.

And he probably is the guy who thought that getting a bunch of infernomancers to help the battle in Maltak was a good idea at first place. Heck, he probably even got them some nice nobility positions in the court.

And is someone so effective, that can somehow twart Rillian, who is a so powerfull necromancer that he can take out the powers of Jacob or other mages almost freely.

Also, notice that Warlord Damaske soul probably isnt in hell - otherwise he would be in the Court of Karnak with his history- unless Karnak choosed Siggy because he had just choped Klo Thark, so bonus points for killing an angel. Or maybe the other infernomancer consumed his soul.

Of course, an effective villain could be a little too much to hope for nowadays.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    Since when does DD use bolding for meaningful emphasis?
    That's a good question, actually, before I found this snark thread I never understood the random bolding of words.

It is random, right?

I honestly never could find anything of importance regarding the bolded words, so I figured it was just ...random bolding, just that.

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

I feel that Stoner Chief's speech about idealism and reality was either a way of saying "hey, look, a character in my comic is a realist!" or a preparation for another sermon about idealism.
    Today's comic is so meaningless I have no comment.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Neoriceisgood View Post
    That's a good question, actually, before I found this snark thread I never understood the random bolding of words.

It is random, right?

I honestly never could find anything of importance regarding the bolded words, so I figured it was just ...random bolding, just that.
    It used to be used for highlighting puns, just in case you couldn't identify them by their utter terribleness.

5. - Top - End - #215

AssassinGuy

Heyall,

If Mookie keeps padding this arc with useless strips like these, we may very well reach the end of this thread before we finally, finally get the hell out of Maltak.

Any one want to bet we'll still be in Maltak by page 50?

Edit: It's as if once he realized he was going to miss his own goal no matter what he just thought "**** it" and decided to stop trying to experiment with the art or improve pacing, which just seems lazy to me.

I never thought I'd describe an artist who kept to a weekday update schedule as "lazy", but there you go.
    Last edited by M84; 2010-01-21 at 11:03 AM.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by M84 View Post
    I never thought I'd describe an artist who kept to a weekday update schedule as "lazy", but there you go.
    A large part of the problem is that the weekday update schedule is unsuited for the type of epic drama Mookie seems to want to do. Arthur, King of Time and Space manages to pull off that blend of pun/gag humor and drama (granted, using a well-known story) in a daily format, but he may be the exception. It seems like dramatic comics are more suited to larger layouts and update schedules of 1-3 times per week.

I'd like to think that less frequent updates and more space to work with would help improve the art, but that didn't happen when he switched to 5/week updates, so....

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by spectralphoenix View Post
    So what exactly did Azazia do for Luna anyway? She just gave her a bunch of background exposition (that didn't matter, because Luna didn't do anything) and tried to strangle her a couple times.
    She also slipped drugs into Luna's drink. That would upset any normal person, but Luna's used to being manipulated into doing any number of horrible things against her will.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Face Of Evil View Post
    Luna's used to being manipulated into doing any number of horrible things against her will.
    Ahah! You say that as if she had a will of her own!
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Ahah! You say that as if she had a will of her own!
    What passes for a will of her own.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    Since when does DD use bolding for meaningful emphasis?
    Fixed that for you

I like reading Luna's response to "I'm enjoying the silence" as "yeah, I like not having to think too"

Seriously though - Mookie is how lazy? What happened to the omnipresent ring of Inappropriate Mountains that surrounded Maltak? How about a sun, or clouds - or even a couple of sideways v's for birds?

Mookie should really put a big "THIS SPACE FOR RENT" on the background of the last 3 panels
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    Mookie should really put a big "THIS SPACE FOR RENT" on the background of the last 3 panels
    You fiend! Making him draw more!

Don't you know how difficult it is to make one strip per day without problems? It's not like a professional manga autor can submit a 15~21 page history with screen tones, real inking and an actual plot each week for about ~2 pages day worth of work, sometimes with color pages and normally with 2~3 chapters for buffer.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

12. - Top - End - #222
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ichini_sanshigo View Post
    A large part of the problem is that the weekday update schedule is unsuited for the type of epic drama Mookie seems to want to do. Arthur, King of Time and Space manages to pull off that blend of pun/gag humor and drama (granted, using a well-known story) in a daily format, but he may be the exception. It seems like dramatic comics are more suited to larger layouts and update schedules of 1-3 times per week.

I'd like to think that less frequent updates and more space to work with would help improve the art, but that didn't happen when he switched to 5/week updates, so....
    It's an intriguing thought though.

He might've stopped updating on the weekends, but I think the quality might suffer more from the way he updates rather than the frequency.

The comic "could" be so much better if he'd just take his time and would stop forcing himself into the same 8 panel layout over and over. Almost always forcing himself to do eight panels every day, no more no less, kind of hinders the story telling capabilities of the strip altogether. They don't even blend into each other naturally due to the differences in pacing that arise from that.

At least that's my impression. They seem kind of detached from each other.

He should just screw his schedule and do bigger updates, a full page of a comic, if you will, taking his time and getting a good evenings sleep before putting his idea of a plot on the internet.
    A different layout would also allow him to draw scenes rather than talking heads.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ettin in the Playground

...or even a couple of sideways v's for birds?
    Plants can't fly!

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

Perhaps something to consider for the Unsucking?
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

15. - Top - End - #225

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ichini_sanshigo View Post
    I read a few daily comics with story, such as Skin Horse, the Narbonic rerun, Sluggy Freelance and Starslip. But they all tend to be combos of gag-a-day strips that also advance the story and characters. This means their worlds tend to veer towards the wacky, and it's easier as a reader to ignore small flaws in the plot if the strips do a good job of being individually funny.

Generally, I think the key is making each strip individually worth checking out. It needs either a joke or a key dramatic reveal per strip. If a comic is going to focus on the drama, then a larger format is a boon because it's very hard to consistently provide dramatic payoff in a handful of panels.

I'm not sure whether a change would help Dominic Deegan. I suspect Mookie could use a break of at least a month to recharge his batteries. But I also thought going to a weekday-only schedule would help, and instead we got Maltak.

16. - Top - End - #226

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    We can safely say that Dominic probably is now absent, on the grounds that everyone else has to explain everything to each other.
    Daggummit, just when I was starting to get a hold of Mookie's bizarro-logic, he goes and proves me exactly wrong.

Luna is still in the Camp, ergo Dominic probably still is too.
    And he's taking absolutely NO interest in his friends' ascension to Clan Chiefs, but isn't yet doing anything interesting enough to warrent the camera focusing on him in his efforts to.... scry on the Mountain's location? Ask Donovan is he has any bardic lore on the subject? Listen to Spark make a really bad pun, even?

It's almost as if this mystical mountain of power and legend just disappeared and no one cares. Even Kiya is only interested in it because Hansi is the one off joyriding inside the thing. Why is no one paying attention to one of the few actually interesting parts of this Arc (The Magic Mobile Mountain) dspite having just spent several months of panel-time searching the damn thing out in the first place? Especially since there's still no magic around for it to use anyway (as confirmed today and yesterday, by various people continuing to state that they aren't magical anymore).

...He HAS to be a clone. The only alternatives are too awfully written to be true, surely?
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

17. - Top - End - #227
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    The same way Grench was, meaning that the previous chief before him was also a stoner. And the one before him... And on, and on.
    So maybe Grench really was the best suited for the job, being the only eligible one who isn't on drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Neoriceisgood View Post

It is random, right?

To be fair, this tends to be a problem with comicbookdom in general, and not just Mookie. Some of the worst offenders are among the superhero comics that he reads.

Quote Originally Posted by Arakune View Post
    It's not like a professional manga autor can submit a 15~21 page history with screen tones, real inking and an actual plot each week for about ~2 pages day worth of work, sometimes with color pages and normally with 2~3 chapters for buffer.
    To be fair, manga authors have interns (read: slaves) to do a lot of that stuff for them. Unless things have changed significantly since Osamu Tezuka's heyday. Alas, my relevant information inevitably tends to be on the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    I read a few daily comics with story, such as Skin Horse, the Narbonic rerun, Sluggy Freelance and Starslip. But they all tend to be combos of gag-a-day strips that also advance the story and characters. This means their worlds tend to veer towards the wacky, and it's easier as a reader to ignore small flaws in the plot if the strips do a good job of being individually funny.

Generally, I think the key is making each strip individually worth checking out. It needs either a joke or a key dramatic reveal per strip. If a comic is going to focus on the drama, then a larger format is a boon because it's very hard to consistently provide dramatic payoff in a handful of panels.

I'm not sure whether a change would help Dominic Deegan. I suspect Mookie could use a break of at least a month to recharge his batteries. But I also thought going to a weekday-only schedule would help, and instead we got Maltak.
    Well, there's also, say the Overside comics (Rice Boy and Order of Tales) which update twice weekly with, I believe, four pages per update, and even in that four page stretch one often gets an update where "nothing happens." However, the tone, speech, and art of that one are all heavily stylized, so it's not entirely dissatisfying when you get an update that consists of four pages of people walking (or whatever). Granted, it would probably be even worse as a daily thing, though it could be.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

18. - Top - End - #228

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    So maybe Grench really was the best suited for the job, being the only eligible one who isn't on drugs.
    Plus she has the added advantage of not being dead, after Stonewater completely botched up the defence of his archers in the Big Bikta Battle. Lucky for him the only Rhazgala with any clout are a stoner and his girlfriend.

Well, there's also, say the Overside comics (Rice Boy and Order of Tales) which update twice weekly with, I believe, four pages per update, and even in that four page stretch one often gets an update where "nothing happens." However, the tone, speech, and art of that one are all heavily stylized, so it's not entirely dissatisfying when you get an update that consists of four pages of people walking (or whatever). Granted, it would probably be even worse as a daily thing, though it could be.
    I guess for the more artistic styles that could work. I don't read that many webcomics along that style though, so it's hard for me to objectively comment. The gag-a-day-with-story format is my favourite because when done well it gives multiple reasons to continue reading.

From what I've read, I'd say the main stumble for the gag-a-day-with-story format (aside: is there a better name for this?) is the exposition strip, where the author feels the need to give a lot of background information quickly and fills up panel after panel with loads of words. Sluggy Freelance has some particularly bad examples of this - worse than the talking head expo strips in Dominic Deegan.

Back to the comic: the general impression I'm getting from this week of comics is like a marathon runner who has already crossed the finish line and is slowly jogging down to a stop. The race is already over and there's still some momentum left to shed. but it's just not that particularly interesting to watch.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

From what I've read, I'd say the main stumble for the gag-a-day-with-story format (aside: is there a better name for this?) is the exposition strip, where the author feels the need to give a lot of background information quickly and fills up panel after panel with loads of words. Sluggy Freelance has some particularly bad examples of this - worse than the talking head expo strips in Dominic Deegan.
    Hey, even those generally had jokes thrown in. And managed to be far, far, FAR better than that one Goblins strip explaining how the weird metal creature works.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Orc in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

New comic.

"WHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE" "You're done being speshul. I just needed to annoy you some more."

21. - Top - End - #231

Quote Originally Posted by Penquin47 View Post
    New comic.

"WHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE" "You're done being speshul. I just needed to annoy you some more."
    Oh, it would be so horrible if Luna was roped into being the next Crone and stuck in Maltak!

Hansi? Hansi who?
    When in doubt, light something on fire.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Barbarian in the Playground

I like the vouice. It said 'chosen one' in inverted commas.

23. - Top - End - #233

Quote Originally Posted by Newspost
    I decided to leave things off on somewhat of a cliffhanger for the weekend, although it's not much of one if your memory is good and you remember the last time something like this happened to Luna.
    I don't remember, and I don't dare going back on the Maltak archives to check. Can anyone enlighten me about this?

Also, I'm betting someone will remind Luna about the prophecy of the dancing party. I just know it.
    "Nothing can stop The Smooze."

24. - Top - End - #234

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Webox View Post
    I don't remember, and I don't dare going back on the Maltak archives to check. Can anyone enlighten me about this?
    Well, the last time someone cast a spell on Luna was when the Spirit Father buried her alive, but I think Mookie is referring to when Luna touched the wall of prophecy and met the dragon, which explained the prophecy again and how vital it was that she remember it.

Also, I'm betting someone will remind Luna about the prophecy of the dancing party. I just know it.
    See above.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Webox View Post
    It's the Dragon. He's here to Burninate Luna. (I wish.)
    Last edited by FoE; 2010-01-22 at 01:49 AM.

26. - Top - End - #236

Quote Originally Posted by Face Of Evil View Post
    It's the Dragon. He's here to Burninate Luna. (I wish.)

Well, the last time someone cast a spell on Luna was when the Spirit Father buried her alive, but I think Mookie is referring to when Luna touched the wall of prophecy and met the dragon, which explained the prophecy again and how vital it was that she remember it.
    Ooh, right, that weird dragon. I completely forgot about that thing. Thanks
    Last edited by Castel; 2010-01-22 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Adding quotes, and then adding updated quotes
    "Nothing can stop The Smooze."

27. - Top - End - #237

GnomeWizardGuy

I also suspect the dragon will spend next week congratulating Luna for her brilliant use of the Princess Peach Ploy, a gambit in which she defeats the big bad boss by cunningly getting captured and thus spurring the heroes into action.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

So if Dominic is still in the camp, who's steering the mountain? Have we seen Melna since the mountain disappeared?

Edit: Melna was in Tuesday's comic, so I guess she hasn't taken it upon herself to become the Crone.
    Can't say I blame Hansi for wanting to skip out on the denouement.
    Here's hoping the dragon finds a way to spin things so that Luna doesn't come off as having been as useless as a pithed frog throughout the whole arc; the tortured logic necessary for that will be a work of art.
    Last edited by Joro; 2010-01-22 at 02:17 AM.

29. - Top - End - #239

Quote Originally Posted by Joro View Post
    Here's hoping the dragon finds a way to spin things so that Luna doesn't come off as having been as useless as a pithed frog throughout the whole arc; the tortured logic necessary for that will be a work of art.
    It would certainly be amusing, but odds are the dragon will just talk about how awesome she was without getting into any specifics, like pretty much all the other wrap-up we've seen so far.
    When in doubt, light something on fire.

30. - Top - End - #240

AssassinGuy

Heyall,

I was wondering when Luna would start whining again.

On an unrelated note, I've been wondering for a while now why Mookie sticks to the same strip format so often. He clearly doesn't have an editor. He doesn't have to worry about the space constraints that newspaper comic artists have to work with everyday. So why is he so afraid of experimenting with the art and layout? I mean, the end of last year had some progress in that department, but that died quickly.

Seriously, if he enjoys Protection From Editors so much, why doesn't he even try to take advantage of it?