New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Blood on the Streets (Trials of Romaly part 1) IC

Nathanial Greyson

Nathanial stifled his chuckle when told to, and then grew uncomfortable at the description of the remains.

"I have a quick if necessary question . . . WHAT AM I DOING HERE!? I understand half-orc, he's crowd control. I understand the drunkard, he's to put down a single opponent fast. I even understand Lady Sweetgams here, she's information and infiltration. But I'm a bloody eight foot tall and twenty six and a half stone! Five stone more with my gear on! I know I've got a fine analytical mind and a head for both strategy and tactics, but Lady Winkkissknife could just as easily do the numbers! This is out of my depth, this is scary, this is . . . HIM AGAIN!"

Nathanial takes a long swig of his Pulsch Brown Ale to calm his nerves, then dabs a single rolling tear from his eye with a hankercheif.
    Feel free to PM me if you want something PEACHed. I may not be one of the greats, but I'll do it if you ask.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    One of us takes vengeance,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

(U)sually in any game situation the biggest control freak will gravitate towards the job of being the GM anyway.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Alphonse stands up and addresses the frantic Nathanial seriously, "Nathanial, no, Lord Greyson, you are one of the strongest, most courageous men I've ever had the honour of knowing. You are a man of strong morals, who knows that evil lurks in this world, but you stand against it and fight with all your strength! I will not say your have the most virtuous habits, but you would never hurt nor harm an innocent, and you would risk your own life to save another. You're the type of man I need." He sighes, and then starts a different tact. "You said this is 'Him'. Who did you mean? Do you know something?"
    Let's Play: Pokemon Leaf Green (Nuzlocke)
    Let's Play: LIMBO
    Let's Play: Home [Complete]
    Let's Play: Cthulhu Saves the World [Complete]
    GM of the Yorkton Gamer Guild at:
    Pink Ameiko Kaijitsu Avatar by A Rainy Knight
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pink View Post
    Alphonse stands up and addresses the frantic Nathanial seriously, "Nathanial, no, Lord Greyson, you are one of the strongest, most courageous men I've ever had the honour of knowing. You are a man of strong morals, who knows that evil lurks in this world, but you stand against it and fight with all your strength! I will not say your have the most virtuous habits, but you would never hurt nor harm an innocent, and you would risk your own life to save another. You're the type of man I need." He sighes, and then starts a different tact. "You said this is 'Him'. Who did you mean? Do you know something?"
    "Oh . . . nothing. Had a bad dream last night (and every night), nothing to worry about. So you're saying I'm here to babysit Lady Sweetcheeks . . . er ah . . . Delacourt and the boys? Make sure the three don't go off the deep end and start murdering?"
    Feel free to PM me if you want something PEACHed. I may not be one of the greats, but I'll do it if you ask.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

(U)sually in any game situation the biggest control freak will gravitate towards the job of being the GM anyway.

4. - Top - End - #34

Alphonse spares a moment to look askance as Nathanial's response to his question, but then seems to decide it's far more vital to secure his assistance. "I'll let you four decide amongst yourselves how you work together, however I would not have invited you if I didn't feel you brought vital and important experience to such a team. I have to admit, I may also one day require you to join me in council if this secret of ours becomes public and I am scorned for it, I will be in need of allies then. Will you help me Nathanial Greyson?"
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Alphonse spares a moment to look askance as Nathanial's response to his question, but then seems to decide it's far more vital to secure his assistance. "I'll let you four decide amongst yourselves how you work together, however I would not have invited you if I didn't feel you brought vital and important experience to such a team. I have to admit, I may also one day require you to join me in council if this secret of ours becomes public and I am scorned for it, I will be in need of allies then. Will you help me Nathanial Greyson?"
    "Wait. Council? COUNCIL?!?! Having to stand in front of a bunch of lizardy old men in white wigs and tell them where to shove it? I am now one hundred percent on board with you."

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

Elminedra ignores Nathanial, overtly enough to actually show some opinion.

Do we really need Sir Hulk? At least the half orc doesn't talk much.

Royal Guards, m'lord? And that has not caught the attention and interests of anyone? One should expect that at least the guard, if not the crown, would wish to investigate?

7. - Top - End - #37

Alphonse's expression is a mysterious blend of relief and trepidation at Nathanial's acceptance, and the reason for it. Turning to Elminedra, he addresses her question. "While no doubt the Royal and Ottoman's guards have their patrols in East-side, no report has reached council of this. That's no to say it hasn't reached someone's ears, and they're keeping that information from going further up the chain. It isn't uncommon for the political schemes and court to take up a noble's entire line of sight, and when something happening to the common folk is obcured from them, it may be passed over entirely. You ask if it has caught anyone's attention? It has caught my attention, and this is the fastest and most effective way I can think of acting, as opposed to bringing street rumors to council and debating over a month whether the murders are related or not. That's why I wish for you to investigate into it, and even if you are not able to stop it yourselves, that you might bring evidence that I could use to push council to recognize that a world exists outside those stone walls."
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

I'll help you. Bron says remaining silent till now. It's... the least I can do. he says, finishing somewhat uncomfortable.
    Not wearing your seat belt? See you soon!
    Thanks to Kwarkpudding for this excellent avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Tialait View Post
    This is perhaps the most amazing idea I have heard in eons. Thank you kind slayer of Death.

9. - Top - End - #39

Khalmek

Khalmek gripped his longbow tighter. "...So you're saying that someone has to do something now... While you try to convince the reinforcements to follow us." He didn't stutter, even a little. Sounded familiar. "I'm not the best at figuring out puzzles... And I don't... know very many words to talk to people. But I want to help, if you others will show me how." For the first time since he entered the private room, the half-orc Ranger seemed completely calm. "I will help you, Sir." He said simply, but with the edge of steel to his voice that accented a Promise.

Khalmek was quiet for a moment, then spoke again. "Investigating things and... convincing people to share what they know takes Money to accomplish in a short time. Is this cost to come out of our own pockets?" He asked simply, the tone of his voice suggesting that he would do so willingly... But the question needed to be asked.
    Last edited by OverWilliam; 2010-01-22 at 02:09 PM.
    Deo Soli Sit Semper Gloria

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    Its offical. Overwilliam is Duke Devlin.

10. - Top - End - #40

Imp

Eliminedra

Who would likely be aware of the situation? Or perhaps more to the point, who would likely investigate these matters?

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

I think you all are missing the point. The fact is whatever this thing is, it's killing people. We need to stop it. To do that, we need to find out what it is. Best way is to traverse the bars in the east side as well as scout during the night. I would suggest teams of two.

This is perhaps the most amazing idea I have heard in eons. Thank you kind slayer of Death.

12. - Top - End - #42

Imp

Elminedra

And how would we go about that with a certain degree of discretion? She pauses a bit after the last part, as if hinting that she had some serious doubts about such capabilities. Lord Nathanial is not exactly someone that can blend into a crowd and disappear, for example, can any of you manage to stay in a bar for long and not be recognised afterwards? What I believe we should be looking for is some sort of pattern, similarity between victims, proximity of locations. If we go by the assumption that it is not random occurances, and that they do happen for a reason, then similar events may have transpired under other circumstances, contacting a sage or perhaps historian may give some pointers.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Havelock View Post
    Elminedra

And how would we go about that with a certain degree of discretion? She pauses a bit after the last part, as if hinting that she had some serious doubts about such capabilities. Lord Nathanial is not exactly someone that can blend into a crowd and disappear, for example, can any of you manage to stay in a bar for long and not be recognised afterwards? What I believe we should be looking for is some sort of pattern, similarity between victims, proximity of locations. If we go by the assumption that it is not random occurances, and that they do happen for a reason, then similar events may have transpired under other circumstances, contacting a sage or perhaps historian may give some pointers.
    Nathanial Greyson

"I've got to agree on certain parts here. I'd say that what we need here is two teams. You are right, Lady Elminedra, in saying that I'm easier to spot than a fireball, but that also lends itself to an advantage. I'm easy to spot, and fun to look at. I make a fool of myself in an given situation, and eat and drink until I can't move. I suggest whoever is paired with me be ready to search for information and connections while I distract. The other team can work another side of the operation, allowing us to "pincer" the information we need. Any of the three of you could do well in a stealth situation beside me, you're all grade A second-story men next to me."

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

14. - Top - End - #44

Imp

Elminedra

Now, there's an idea, you should be able to make your usual bar to bar rounds and talk as much as you always do, taking a "drinking buddy" with you, perhaps? It would not be unlikely that the subject of the trouble's of the district is brought up.

Personally, I would like to seek out the city watch detachment for eastside, find out what they know of the situation. The only one that could accompany me there would be Bron, considering that a certain amount of subterfuge would be required.

Teaming up Khalmek with Lord Nathanial would have the added effect that nobody would ask questions as to why two such renowned individuals shows up in east side, at the same time, it is conceivable that Lord Nathanial would bring Khalmek with him on such a tour. As the two of you are incapable of passing through without notice, you should make your passage look like it would if it had no specific purpose in mind.

15. - Top - End - #45

"Thank you Bron. Of you I was the most unsure of. You...well...We shall talk later, at much length, you and I." Alphonse says, still not showing much warmth to the monk, even as he is grateful for his affirmation of help.

However Alphonse's expression clearly brighten at Khalmek's expression, though so simple sounding it carried with it the weight that most oaths did. "I thank you Khalmek, for giving your help so easily. You bring up a valid point concerning funds however, and I have not been absent at thought about this either." Reaching into his pocket, he pulls out four pouches that jingle with the sound of coins and sets them on the table. "There is a thousand gold pieces for each of you, to cover what expenses you face whether housing yourselves in Alefgard or during your investigations. Please, use it well, there are a number of soldiers in Tarkis that may be fighting with second-hand armour this coming winter."

Turning to Elminedra, Alphonse responds, "I cannot say. The commonfolk are aware of rumours, and the patrols that find and clean of the bodies would know of it, and their commanders, however I know not whether it has been Romaly's or Ottoman's guards, or both, that have found them, or which captains would be in command. Aside from that, well, if anyone else knows something, they are keeping things to themselves."

"Ideally, if it were approved by council, the command to investigate would be carried out by the guard, a military operation. I could not say whether the responsibility would fall on Ottoman's forces or the Royal Romaly forces."

Alphonse smiles to himself as he sees you all begin to discuss strategy in how to approach investigating. "I am once again, very heartened that you all have accepted my request for your help. Well, as I said, I do not have much time. If you have no more questions to ask, I shall depart." he says, standing up from his chair.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Bron meets Tarkis's eyes for a quick glance before looking away, unable to look at him in the eyes. He merely nodded and cursed himself silently in his mind.

He doesn't say another word until Alphonse opens the door and is halfway out, at which point he'll say I know it's a few years late but i'm sorry.

17. - Top - End - #47

Imp

Yes, one m'Lord, before you leave. How will we be able to contact you if neccessary?
    Last edited by Havelock; 2010-01-23 at 08:27 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48

Frowning slightly, Alphonse responds to Elminedra, "I should hope the money I've provided is sufficient enough to get you started for a while. If you are in need of more, we will discuss it."

"I'd like to try and meet with you here weekly at this same time, to see what your progress is and share what I might also uncover, or ask of you new angles to research. If you need to meet with me urgently, leave four copper pieces arranged in a diamond shape on the table, and I will be in touch with you. I want to avoid direct meetings between us, lest our covert operation become much more apparent. I've an arrangement made with the owner of this inn, and aside from the mornings when deliveries are received and the bar is restocked, this room will be unoccupied, and you are free to use it as you see fit, provided you pay for any liquor you imbibe, and that if you wish to hold anything here, you do it in a hidden chamber, behind that shelf."
    He says, indicating the shelving unit the conceals the concealed chamber.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Reaching into his pocket, he pulls out four pouches that jingle with the sound of coins and sets them on the table. "There is a thousand gold pieces for each of you, to cover what expenses you face whether housing yourselves in Alefgard or during your investigations. Please, use it well, there are a number of soldiers in Tarkis that may be fighting with second-hand armour this coming winter."
    Nathanial Greyson

Nathanial scowls at the money, and then looks at his former student gravely.

"What did I always tell you Alphonse? One soldier is never an army. I accept your one thousand gold, knowing that you cannot simply reinvest it, but to put two-hundred and sixty-six oxen, and a cow's worth of collected money into the pursuit of one city's murder spree? Forty four medium and heavy foot soldier mercenaries could be hired for the entire winter with this money. A desperately needed bolstering of the ranks. I'll write home to my guard, send my loyalists, a meager twenty men to assist, but all I have to say is this had better work, this plan of yours, or we all will be overrun by some enterprising rebel force."

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

20. - Top - End - #50

Imp

Elminedra

Allowing a hint of amusement to surface on her face, Elminedra took on a slightly lecturing tone. Lord Nathanial, fourty four extra armed men would not likely be of much help in uncovering the cause for the murders. Considerations for allocation of resources is something any lord must make, would some extra men at arms make a difference for the defense of Alefgard against the sort of assailants they may be expected to encounter? My understanding is that lord Tarkis suspects foul play of a very different sort involved in east-side, possibly more dangerous than the risk of the soldiers being over-run without an extra fourtyswords to man the ranks.

21. - Top - End - #51

"Elminedra is correct in this manner. Besides, now that I've taken the step to bring you together, I hope to be able to ask of you to investigate more plots, but for now this is the most urgent and concrete lead I have to send you out to investigate upon. Besides, sometimes in order to protect all of Alefgard, a lord of Tarkis must see beyond defending his borders to where true trouble lies."

With that he bows to all of you, and takes up his cloak to leave, "I pray things go well for you, and now I leave you to devise how you will employ your combined resources." He's just about to put on the ring again open the door when Bron utters his apology. Actually smiling slightly, Alphonse turns and replies, "They do say, it is much better late, than never. As I said, we will talk at length later Bron."

And with that, the ring is once again placed upon his finger, and the young lord disappears. The door to the outside rain and faint thunder is opened, and you faintly hear the squelch of boots upon muddy ground, before the door swings closed and is once again locked. You are once again left in the company of these strangers or acquaintances, with the faint sound of the common room activities from the next door drifting into the background, a bit more rowdier now that the drink has had time to work on the patrons.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52

Imp

Elminedra

So that is where we currently stand, the current suggestions made are to listen to rumours found in taverns, find out what the district guards know, and scouting during the night. The change in her tone suggested that she did not have much faith in the first option. Going through taverns and inns should perhaps start earlier in the afternoon, that does not, of course, prevent us from spreading out our efforts. Lord Nathanial can only do one trip through east-side, I would say, which therefore likely should be an extended one, he is far too easily recognized to make a second run and ask questions about the same topic. Now, I do have a certain trick up my sleeve, as does Bron, which should allow us significantly more freedom of movement.

Elminedra looks at Khalmek, and then BronKhalmek, I am a bit uncertain as to what sort of skills you possess, that would apply to Bron as well, Lord Nathanial here talks too much, eats and drinks more than Dwarves considers to be healthy, and can be spotted from the peaks of the Iron crown mountains. But that can be used to our advantage, if we utilize those..qualities... the last word uttered with a hint of sarcasmin the right way, now, the question is what you two can do well.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Bron

Well I'm handy in a fight if it comes to that, but I rather it not come to that. Unless it's in a bar he whispers to Khalmek so Elminedra cant hear him. I can get out of sticky situations fairly well, and hear lots of rumors in taverns. But seeing as how late it is, scouting is our best option for the moment. The only problem I can see is communication.

24. - Top - End - #54

Khalmek

"Well... you already know of my archery..." He said, very meekly. "I am also skilled at tracking. It is a little harder to do in a city than out in the forests... but I should still be able to follow most things down, with a good trail and some luck." He seemed to think about something for a moment. "The East side is not a... very nice place. Once we find... whoever that caused these murders... they will not give up without fighting. But... even before then, you may... attract attention to... yourself, Elminedra. A evil kind of attention from evil kinds of men. Whoever comes with you... Bron?... will help to keep you safe too." Saying this much at one time seems emotionally exhausting for the socially awkward half-orc. "The ability to talk the right way to people is... out of my reach... but I still would like to be helpful however I can. We will need all sorts of skills for this mission."
    Last edited by OverWilliam; 2010-01-25 at 01:15 PM.
    Deo Soli Sit Semper Gloria

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    Its offical. Overwilliam is Duke Devlin.

25. - Top - End - #55

Imp

Elminedra

I would imagine that you would need to find some sort of trail in order to track it. It is kind of you to be concerned, though I am well aware of certain risks of that district, I am not unable to defend myself. At those words, Elminedra's hand lunges forward across the table in a blurring motion, to a sudden stop where a dagger, of very good craftmanship, has appeared in her delicate fingers, protruding into one of the pieces of meat, one of the more tender ones looking at the way the blade penetrated it, too. She then moves it back to her plate as if she were attending a royal banquet, dries off the dagger before sheating it on the inside of her forearm, her bell sleeves appearantly serving the purpose of being elegant concealment for weaponry. However, that would attract a different sort of attention, no more helpful to our cause.

Oh, what sort of problems do you see with communications, Bron?
    Last edited by Havelock; 2010-01-25 at 01:58 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

if we get seperated or find the person or creature he says emphasizing that word, it would do well if we had everyone together.

27. - Top - End - #57

Imp

Magic that can send messages without error would blow our budget. Cheaper alternatives does exist, but that would rely on that the users knows of the exact location of the others, which could be impractical there is also the question of whether or not either of you actually are capable of utilizing wands or scrolls?

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Afraid not. Bron replies. Never was much at the arts of magic myself.

ooc- just realized sir chivalry has blue so ill go red.
    Last edited by Deathslayer7; 2010-01-25 at 10:11 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59

Imp

Elminedra cuts off a bit of the meat, then putting it into her mouth, gently handling the cutlery in a stylizied way, fit for an official dinner in the honor of a royal, with an additional feminine touch that most ladies at such a party would not be able to match. The piece is small enough to make the movement of her cheeks as she chews it down almost un-noticable.

Hmm, pity. It is too late for me to go into east-side to pick up stories, I would say. The time might easily get past midnight, and I should not raise suspicion by showing up at work late, or looking tired. Ordinarily, I should be able to leave well before noon, assuming that Khalmek's efforts up in the Iron Crown mountains have had the, calming, effects upon the orc tribes that it appears to

She drank a small part of the wine in her cup, swirling the wine gently before raising the cup to her lips, slowly taking a sip, the volume of wine left in the cup looks exactly as it was, she leaves it her mouth for several seconds before swallowing.

Scouting the district does sound like a good idea, though Lord Nathanial would attract far too much attention to himself if he accompanied us, or ventured into east-side too many times, in this case, two times is too many to risk unneccesary. Although, there is an angle of attack for this issue, do you have any friends or assosciates in the city Lord Nathanial?
    Last edited by Havelock; 2010-01-27 at 12:42 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Havelock View Post
    Scouting the district does sound like a good idea, though Lord Nathanial would attract far too much attention to himself if he accompanied us, or ventured into east-side too many times, in this case, two times is too many to risk unneccesary. Although, there is an angle of attack for this issue, do you have any friends or assosciates in the city Lord Nathanial?
    Nathanial Greyson

"Actually, fair lady Delacourt, I have three. There's Greg Haftler, a tavern owner and blacksmith in the eastside, and his close neighbour Regilus Cale, who's doing good work among the little children. And then there's an old childhood friend of mine . . . but we'll see her if the other two don't pan out."

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew