New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Healing weapon.

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Healing weapon.

So one of my players wants to be able to get some HP back when he hits. There already exists a dragon magazine +2 cost enchantment that does 1d4 damage vs living creatures, heals the same amount, but has a fort save to avoid the extra damage and the healing it gives.

Mod 1: I approved that enchantment with a modification of removing the fort save, as that seemed to nerf it hard. Though at this cost (18,000 gold for a +1 vampiric) it's prohibitive for a while.

Mod 2: At the suggestion of the player, I'm trying to think of something that would be a +1 modifier cost. Would be no extra damage, but do some healing. Two thoughts on this:

1dX healing per hit. X may be 4, maybe 3, as 4 would make the vampiric just give the 1d4 damage for another +1.

X healing per hit, where X is equal to the weapon's inherent enhancement bonus. This means a +1 'healing' weapon would heal 1 damage, +3 would heal 3 damage, etc. The inherent caveat is so that the extra healing gets reflected in the cost, and you don't just have a friendly neighborhood magic weapon spell to boost it.

I'm tending towards the second, as while a +3 'healing' weapon would heal more (3/hit) than a +2 vampiric (2.5/hit) for the same cost, the vampiric weapon gets 2.5 more avg damage per hit. In attition, it emphasizes spending gold on +x weapons rather than stacking thinks like +1 holy corrosive flaming rapier.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Healing weapon.

I would say 1dX healing, where X is the bonus, so a +1 Healing weapon gives 1 HP when it hits, while a +3 Healing weapon gives +1d3 HP. Just so that taking tons of simple enhancements doesn't become too powerful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Weapon Crystals in Magic Item Compendium, specifically the Crystal of Life Drinking.

For 400, 1500, or 6000 you can heal 1, 3, or 5 hp upon hitting your foe up to a maximum of 10, 30, or 50hp per day.

Requires a MW, +1, or +3 Weapon in order to function, can only use one crystal at a time. No apparent restrictions against pulling off an inert crystal that has used all of its healing for the day and adding a new one.
    Never can find my towel...

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    Forgot who did my avatar, sorry! >.<

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by huttj509 View Post
    So one of my players wants to be able to get some HP back when he hits. There already exists a dragon magazine +2 cost enchantment that does 1d4 damage vs living creatures, heals the same amount, but has a fort save to avoid the extra damage and the healing it gives.
    The ability has been updated sense that issue of dragon magazine.

In the Magic Item Compendium, The vampiric property is still a +2 enchantment, but it deals 1d6 vs living creatures, heals the same amount with no save.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

You could have it like a revised vampire, whereas you get 1,2, or 4 Blood Charges depending on the race and intelligence and you may spend one for an ability, for this case, Healing. I don't know how many points it will heal, that is up to the DM. If it helps i am glad but PS me if theres something i should know.

Edit: It is up to the DM about how many blood charges to use and how much it heals.
    Last edited by Dannan-Kun; 2010-03-19 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Typeo

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Or just make an on-use magic item that casts Cure Light Wounds. Make this item a weapon so that's 'use' fuction would be stabbing something.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

I have a friend who made a weapon called the battlegift weapon, +1 property, heal 1d6 damage on hit, no extra damage

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Often seen as a +1 enchantment is gaining half damage as HP (not including elemental damage and such. only natural damage and +X)

Makes it quite handy on high-critical weapons.

Main thing to fear is him attacking random critters for healing on off time...
    Last edited by boomwolf; 2010-03-19 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cormag81 View Post
    2117: No matter how good a debater I am out of character there is no way to logically get out of falling after your paladin kills his patron god.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

If it helps, I post this a while back;

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71519
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)