New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Keychain of Creation 3: Not-a-Keyblade Understanding & Falafel-is-Awesome Prana C

EVERYONE in Exalted, including the Yozis and the Neverborn, can be put on either side of the protagonists/antagonists axis.

I will not use the Good/Evil D&D terms, because in Exalted, they lose a lot of meaning.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

2. - Top - End - #422
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Keychain of Creation 3: Not-a-Keyblade Understanding & Falafel-is-Awesome Prana C

Quote Originally Posted by horngeek View Post
    EVERYONE in Exalted, including the Yozis and the Neverborn, can be put on either side of the protagonists/antagonists axis.

I will not use the Good/Evil D&D terms, because in Exalted, they lose a lot of meaning.
    There is a difference between a protagonist and a hero, or an antagonist and a villain.

You can have a villainous protagonist fighting a heroic antagonist. Or a villainous protagonist fighting equally villainous antagonists.

You could even have a heroic protagonist fighting heroic antagonists.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

3. - Top - End - #423
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    You can have a villainous protagonist fighting a heroic antagonist. Or a villainous protagonist fighting equally villainous antagonists.
    Just watch Death Note if you don't believe!

4. - Top - End - #424
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, but the original characterization of the Lunars was pretty one-sided. They came off as a bit like this:

...I'm not exaggerating. Like that, only wearing bearskins and loincloths (because they were barbarians, see.)

5. - Top - End - #425
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Yeah, but the original characterization of the Lunars was pretty one-sided. They came off as a bit like this:

...I'm not exaggerating. Like that, only wearing bearskins and loincloths (because they were barbarians, see.)
    O.O Please tell, what comic is this frame from?
    My avatar used to be a W.S.D. (Weapon of Sanity Destruction)
    "I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."
    Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    After reading the Dominic Deagen forum threads, can you really accuse me of bashing? Read it again. That is the kind of thing that is pure venom. They don't even take it seriously anymore. It's just done for fun.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Firbolg in the Playground

Tin-Eye found only two results:
    http://www.tineye.com/search/472d7a1...0a4672e243b301 (not sure this ID will work for you, depends on how long the engine keeps data in its cache I guess)

The one that seems to be the origin of the picture is not exactly work safe, and it seems it's a photoshoppery -- a strip slay, in other words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

7. - Top - End - #427
    Ettin in the Playground

It's actually from Stardust The Super Wizard, a Golden Age comic that has not aged well.

8. - Top - End - #428

That's something from Stardust the Super Wizard, right? Wasn't pretty much every character in there, including Stardust himself, absolutely insane from any human perspective?

Spoiler
    Show

EDIT: Goddamned miracle-ninjas.
    Last edited by Drakyn; 2010-04-10 at 01:21 PM.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ogre in the Playground

...GRAVITY DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY.

Dear god, the rest of the comic is acceptable... but the hopeless mangling of gravity...

Spoiler
    Show
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Titan in the Playground

There is a difference between a protagonist and a hero, or an antagonist and a villain.

You could even have a heroic protagonist fighting heroic antagonists.
    ....or you can just have a protagonist and antagonist without good or evil ever entering the picture. however it quickly becomes unclear which is which though.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Firbolg in the Playground

Dear god, the rest of the comic is acceptable...
    No. No it's not. Which is what makes it so great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

12. - Top - End - #432
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo View Post
    Just watch Death Note if you don't believe!
    L wasn't villainous, he just only had one dot in Charisma and Appearance each and none in Socialize. So, kinda like Flame, only smaller and without the killing.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    L wasn't villainous, he just only had one dot in Charisma and Appearance each and none in Socialize. So, kinda like Flame, only smaller and without the killing.
    I read it as the "Villainous Protagonist vs. Heroic Antagonist" option that was mentioned first.

Also, Stardust. Possibly the most violent, psychopathic comic book character I've seen in years + way, way too heavy propaganda nonsense.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Bugbear in the Playground

Less villainous than Light, perhaps, but he had no problem abducting and interrogating Misa for as long as it took based on some vague suspicion that she had something to do with anything.
    When in doubt, light something on fire.

15. - Top - End - #435

If you were to use D&D terms, I'd say L was True Neutral. Definitely not Evil, probably not really Good - he was a decent fellow at times but too much more concerned with his goals than with people's well-being to belong on that end of the spectrum. The dedicated detective is a typically Lawful Neutral archetype, but L wasn't Lawful so, thus, he was True Neutral.

His goal was to catch the criminals that no-one else could, and didn't pay much mind to morality or ethics either way. So, TN.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ogre in the Playground

In Exalted terms, he was Conviction 5, not sure about the others.

Spoiler
    Show

God I love Exalted.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    I was referring to Light as the protagonist. Light is the only character to be in every episode of Death Note, from first until last, and half the time we're just waiting to see what Light will do to escape from L's latest plot.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually, what do you guys think Light's Virtues would be?

I think he'd be Conviction 5, probably Compassion 1. But I'll admit, I haven't actually read the manga- I just know about the general premise and his 'kill all lawbreakers' plan.

Spoiler
    Show

God I love Exalted.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Ettin in the Playground

Light: Compassion 2, Conviction 5, Temperance 3, Valor 1
    L: Compassion 1, Conviction 5, Temperance 3, Valor 2
    Mello: Compassion 2, Conviction 4, Temperance 1, Valor 4
    Near: Compassion 1, Conviction 5, Temperance 3, Valor 2

20. - Top - End - #440
    Titan in the Playground

Actually, what do you guys think Light's Virtues would be?

I think he'd be Conviction 5, probably Compassion 1. But I'll admit, I haven't actually read the manga- I just know about the general premise and his 'kill all lawbreakers' plan.
    I think he'd need *negative* compassion if such a thing existed. His plan was to kill off all the murderers, then all the criminals, then all the lazy people. To do which he was willing to do horrible, horrible, hideous things to people who met his ideals but disagreed with him personally.

I'd put him at Compassion 1, Conviction 5, temperance 3-4, and valor 3.

He never forms any emotional bonds, is willing to murder associates, friends, and family to get his way, is single minded to his beliefs, ignores pleasures of the flesh except as a way to manipulate people (though he does give in to the death note compulsion that's not necessarily explicit canon), and the way to draw him out is to challenge him and make him act brashly in order to prove his superiority.
    Last edited by golentan; 2010-04-11 at 01:05 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #441
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'd give Light a low Temperance, because several times he's provoked into extremely poor decisions (killing the fake L on TV, changing his killing schedule to taunt L, etc) by plays on his pride. Temperance isn't just about sex - Light's not a very sexual person (except when the slashfic comes into play) but he doesn't have good impulse control when his particular sin is on the line.
    When in doubt, light something on fire.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by spectralphoenix View Post
    I'd give Light a low Temperance, because several times he's provoked into extremely poor decisions (killing the fake L on TV, changing his killing schedule to taunt L, etc) by plays on his pride. Temperance isn't just about sex - Light's not a very sexual person (except when the slashfic comes into play) but he doesn't have good impulse control when his particular sin is on the line.
    It's not about the sex for me, as it is about the subversion of all his desires of the flesh to his goal. Sex, Food, a bed not made of wood, sensory perception, time, and his memories are all merely tools to be used or discarded on his path to his goal. A goal he is prepared to take years achieving. I view the incidents you're talking about as an incidence of a moderate valor: When he perceives an opponent he fights and strikes even if it's not in his best interest (valor 3: Will attack superior foe) BECAUSE THEY'RE AN OPPONENT. Combine that with his ego, and it overwhelms his normal temperance.

He also does his best to exude an air of self control and emotionlessness at all times, except when he snaps (limit break?). That's why I had him at temperance 3.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #443
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    It's not about the sex for me, as it is about the subversion of all his desires of the flesh to his goal. Sex, Food, a bed not made of wood, sensory perception, time, and his memories are all merely tools to be used or discarded on his path to his goal. A goal he is prepared to take years achieving. I view the incidents you're talking about as an incidence of a moderate valor: When he perceives an opponent he fights and strikes even if it's not in his best interest (valor 3: Will attack superior foe) BECAUSE THEY'RE AN OPPONENT. Combine that with his ego, and it overwhelms his normal temperance.

He also does his best to exude an air of self control and emotionlessness at all times, except when he snaps (limit break?). That's why I had him at temperance 3.
    Ah but I would say based off his reaction at the end of the anime where he realized for once he actually was in trouble he couldn't get out of that he has Valor 1. I would say the killing the fake L was a successful Social Attack by L to provoke that specific action. And as for changing his killing schedule I don't remember that part but isn't it possible he just payed a point of Willpower to ignore his Virtue? After all if I was sure I would win I wouldn't have a problem gloating.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Ettin in the Playground

While I was mistaken as to who it was a momento of, I'm glad to see that I was correct as to what the (apparent) planned sacrifice is for Secret. Especially if it means more backstory on the Abyssal.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Ogre in the Playground

Does Ten Winds know Sorcery, as well as Immaculate Martial Arts?

26. - Top - End - #446
    Ettin in the Playground

He seems to be implying this. You don't get to be a Sidereal's sifu without being well-rounded, after all.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Ogre in the Playground

I guess so. Another fact for the Ten Wind's conspiracy theorists to mull over.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Titan in the Playground

If he does know sorcery, he only knows Terrestrial Circle sorcery... so he can't teach them to summon the really dangerous demons, anyway.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

29. - Top - End - #449
    Ettin in the Playground

Assuming he's really Dragon-Blooded, that is.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Ettin in the Playground

If he does know sorcery, he only knows Terrestrial Circle sorcery... so he can't teach them to summon the really dangerous demons, anyway.
    Second Circle Demons aren't really all that much more useful than First Circle Demons. It's only the Third Circle Demons that are truely that dangerous, and even Solars have trouble with that.