New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Keychain of Creation 3: Not-a-Keyblade Understanding & Falafel-is-Awesome Prana C

Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo View Post
    Second Circle Demons aren't really all that much more useful than First Circle Demons.
    Second-Circle demon can be Celestial level.
    ...But with Summon elemental, you don't have levels, because you can summon any elemental. Any one. Yep, the Kukla too. (not a good idea though, since he has high-essence gods as underlings that can answer the call for him and are not bound to obey the summoner...)
    Spoiler
    Show
    My characters :

2. - Top - End - #452
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Default Re: Keychain of Creation 3: Not-a-Keyblade Understanding & Falafel-is-Awesome Prana C

They're good at killing a swarm of mortals, but the sample demon in the book at least doesn't have a perfect defense, which means he can be taken out by a sufficiently large doom combo from a decently powerful Solar.
    When in doubt, light something on fire.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo View Post
    Second Circle Demons aren't really all that much more useful than First Circle Demons. It's only the Third Circle Demons that are truely that dangerous, and even Solars have trouble with that.
    They give a huge bonus to the tangential summoning benefits like Craft rolls, they often have significant knowledge about occult secrets, and much more frequently have unique and powerful abilities, so I'd say they're a good deal more useful.

Also, if you summon and release a Blood Ape, it'll cause about as much trouble as a pack of rabid wolves, but if you summon and release Octavian, he'll soon build a brutal military dictatorship, establish a Yozi cult to bring in more demons to fill his army, and lead the army to crush and subjugate neighboring regions.
    A review of the best scifi/fantasy book you will have read, and a review of the even better sequel.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    You do your avatar proud

Member #29 of the Tin-foil Hat Alliance

4. - Top - End - #454

That's true - they can help out a lot on non-combat tasks. That said, having a Second Circle demon help out on noncombat tasks is how you bring evil and madness into Creation. I mean, whistling up a pack of blood apes to give yourself a dot or two of magnitude for mass combat does too, but you're much less likely to regret it than having Octavian set up a demonic dictatorship with an Infernal cult or getting some tips on artifact creation from your friendly neighborhood deposed ruler of Creation.
    When in doubt, light something on fire.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Ogre in the Playground

Middle comic today. I'm annoyed at panels 5-8 for basically consisting of people looking at each other and not saying anything.

Karen should keep her scar, at least some of it. It makes her look harder than before.
    Last edited by Weimann; 2010-04-12 at 03:27 AM.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

6. - Top - End - #456
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Weimann View Post
    Middle comic today. I'm annoyed at panels 5-8 for basically consisting of people looking at each other and not saying anything.
    And what is annoying about that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

7. - Top - End - #457
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, they just... look at each other. And are silent!

ARRRGH!

In all seriousness, I feel like that could have compromised to two panels or so. I mean, it's not really a complaint, but still.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

8. - Top - End - #458

Quote Originally Posted by Weimann View Post
    Well, they just... look at each other. And are silent!

ARRRGH!

In all seriousness, I feel like that could have compromised to two panels or so. I mean, it's not really a complaint, but still.
    So what? There is meaningful communication and thought and tension in those looks.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

9. - Top - End - #459
    Dwarf in the Playground

I prefer Karen without her scar. Not it's bad, just the form is not esthetically appealing to me (I prefer Balalaika's for example). And outside Crippling effects, Exalts don't get scars. (ie : I want Karen to have a Balalaika's style scar next time, just remember : Crippling !)
    Spoiler
    Show
    My characters :

10. - Top - End - #460
    Titan in the Playground

I prefer without the scar, largely for the same reasons as the above poster.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

11. - Top - End - #461
    Ogre in the Playground

Ditto with the two posters above me.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    So what? There is meaningful communication and thought and tension in those looks.
    Not really, Ten Winds is just sorta chillin', Karen's just sorta chillin', we see a panel of Secret being insecure (big surprise) a purely informational shot of "Secret leaves the scene", then a beat panel, then Misho noticing Ten and Karen are still there/maybe that they approached slightly closer, then the joke in the final scene.

The purpose for all those panels was the establishment that many moments passed, making Misho's immediate, off the cuff response to the suggestion of teaching them demoncraft humorous.

I'd complain about sacrificing pacing, but the scene basically was going to end with this comic, and the next one wouldn't have time to start yet, so really it didn't lose anything by padding out the strip a bit for the purposes of enhancing the joke, but I still wouldn't call their exchanged looks communicative or tension building.

Also: 2nd Circle Demons are individually tougher than seasoned Dragonbloods, and some of them DO have perfects even if the one in the Corebook doesn't. So they can absolutely be used in combat.
    A review of the best scifi/fantasy book you will have read, and a review of the even better sequel.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    You do your avatar proud

Member #29 of the Tin-foil Hat Alliance

13. - Top - End - #463

I believe it's meant to indicate a long silence as everyone considers the implications of Misho's question, just to hammer home the gravity of what he's suggesting. It is tension-building in a sense, as it provides a forced break in the action to let his comment sink in for the reader.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

14. - Top - End - #464
    Ettin in the Playground

The rule with Exalts is that the almost always heal without scars and always heal from mundane injuries without trouble. This is so that a player can go "Hey, you know what? I like the idea of having a scar across my face from that time that that Abyssal tried to Ebon Lightning Prana my face off" and the Storyteller can just say "Ok, cool."

15. - Top - End - #465

I like Karen with her scar. It adds a certain, as the French say, "I-don't-know-what".

That said, I wouldn't mind her healing it, and a running gag being that she keeps on getting scarred and healing with each battle. Exaltation's good for skincare, I guess.
    Thanks to Andraste for the Void avatar.
    My surviving Exalted homebrew can be found here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bookworm
    Alright. Just for that, if we both make it into the game, the first test target for Total Annihilation whenever I get Solar sorcery is going to be you.

16. - Top - End - #466
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    While I was mistaken as to who it was a momento of, I'm glad to see that I was correct as to what the (apparent) planned sacrifice is for Secret. Especially if it means more backstory on the Abyssal.
    Would she really sacrifice her ties to her family? I mean, choosing that as a sacrifice, even to learn sorcery, basically means embracing her nature and the fact that she exists to bring death to creation.

I think she'd at least try to come up with something else.

Aside from that, yes, we need to know more about Secret's backstory.
    Last edited by lesser_minion; 2010-04-12 at 05:02 PM.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lesser_minion View Post
    Would she really sacrifice her ties to her family? I mean, choosing that as a sacrifice, even to learn sorcery, basically means embracing her nature and the fact that she exists to bring death to creation.

I think she'd at least try to come up with something else.

Aside from that, yes, we need to know more about Secret's backstory.
    I don't see that as a given. That's one way to make that sacrifice, of course. But another interpretation would be a rejection of her fears of her past. It's not what you do so much as why or how you do it.

But yeah, need more of Secret's secrets.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

18. - Top - End - #468

Aside from the manner of Secret's death, I'm most interested in why she was chosen as a Death Knight, given her... lack of confidence or desire to destroy Creation. Or aptitude. Just seems odd.

Of course, given it was the Silver Prince who did so, he probably has some reason or other.
    Alright. Just for that, if we both make it into the game, the first test target for Total Annihilation whenever I get Solar sorcery is going to be you.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    Aside from the manner of Secret's death, I'm most interested in why she was chosen as a Death Knight, given her... lack of confidence or desire to destroy Creation. Or aptitude. Just seems odd.

Of course, given it was the Silver Prince who did so, he probably has some reason or other.
    It was, according to the early strips, either going to be the Prince or Lover, both of whom are major social manipulators, as far as I know. It may have been a ploy to have her do just as she is doing in order to learn more about the enemy. The prince did send her to the other deathlords. It may be just to test the Exaltation to see if it could make a completely unremarkable person great. On this one, it's all guessing.
    I reserved the right to be wrong. I just try not to exercise it.

Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #470
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RedScholarGypsy View Post
    It was, according to the early strips, either going to be the Prince or Lover, both of whom are major social manipulators, as far as I know. It may have been a ploy to have her do just as she is doing in order to learn more about the enemy. The prince did send her to the other deathlords. It may be just to test the Exaltation to see if it could make a completely unremarkable person great. On this one, it's all guessing.
    Or Secrets been running an Elaborate deception this entire time, planning on collecting the keys for her dark master, and slaughtering her allies at the very point of their triumph.

....nah.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Ettin in the Playground

Man, that'd be the best ending.

22. - Top - End - #472
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Tackyhillbillu View Post
    Or Secrets been running an Elaborate deception this entire time, planning on collecting the keys for her dark master, and slaughtering her allies at the very point of their triumph.
    And Ten was sent to infiltrate her group, and stop her, but not before ingratiating himself so he can soul punch the enemies of the Realm.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MReav View Post
    And Ten was sent to infiltrate her group, and stop her, but not before ingratiating himself so he can soul punch the enemies of the Realm.
    No, no. Her Deathlord decided to join their group to keep an eye on her, and disguised himself as a Dragon-Blood to do it (Deathlords, recall, are master shapeshifters and have access to Solar-tier disguise charms, including ones that can mimic the magical abilities of others as long as you can copy their effects.)
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2010-04-13 at 08:25 PM.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Titan in the Playground

Some instincts are satisfying to give into... She looks so happy, like the ca... err... fox that ate the canary.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

25. - Top - End - #475

Heh. Marena gives me little hope for her meditative skills.

I wonder if Secret's got some kind of killswitch implanted in her Exaltation? Just when the Circle are on the cusp of victory, the Silver Prince uses a custom charm and she goes psycho?

Also - Exalted. A good system for a One Piece campaign?

26. - Top - End - #476
    Ettin in the Playground

I wonder if Secret's got some kind of killswitch implanted in her Exaltation? Just when the Circle are on the cusp of victory, the Silver Prince uses a custom charm and she goes psycho?
    I doubt it. Exaltations were pretty much designed not to have a kill-switch, 'cause otherwise the Primordials could've just ordered the gods to kill their Exalts. Plus the general setting theme of 'no take-backsies'.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Heh. Marena gives me little hope for her meditative skills.

You'd have to homebrew most of the fruit powers to some degree, but it'd be a good system to use as a baseline.

28. - Top - End - #478
    Troll in the Playground

Could work, but I'd suggest M&M as a more workable system, to be honest.

As for today's comic - bad Marena! Bad! No letting your beast impulses run wild!
    Last edited by Drascin; 2010-04-16 at 10:09 AM.

29. - Top - End - #479
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    Could work, but I'd suggest M&M as a more workable system, to be honest.
    Hmm, yeah, you wouldn't have to homebrew most fruit powers here, Mutants&Masterminds has extensive support for it.

There's also an anime sourcebook for the system.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Secret is an abyssal. They all have a "killswitch" in the form of a "monstrance" their master keeps. If she doesn't behave, her Deathlord can zap it with a spell to damage her or, as a last resort, throw it into the void to destroy her immediately.