New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Gundam Unicorn

1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Gundam Unicorn

Well has anyone seen episode one yet? I saw it. It was pretty.
    People died in a pretty cool effect and dear god Kshatriya is the coolest mobile suit ever. Except for Acguy Acguy is love.. Anyways

Anyone else seen it yet? I'm posting about it now since I'm working on a tabletop skirmish game that uses 1/144 scale gunpla

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Gundam Unicorn

We have an anime discussion thread, you know. Gundam Unicorn was discussed there some time ago.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vulkan View Post
    Well has anyone seen episode one yet? I saw it. It was pretty.
    People died in a pretty cool effect and dear god Kshatriya is the coolest mobile suit ever. Except for Acguy Acguy is love.. Anyways

Anyone else seen it yet? I'm posting about it now since I'm working on a tabletop skirmish game that uses 1/144 scale gunpla
    A fair amount of us have seen it, it is indeed very pretty and I am eagerly awaiting the next one, even though it'll be awhile.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    We have an anime discussion thread, you know. Gundam Unicorn was discussed there some time ago.
    To be honest, I'm not a fan of the whole "all anime in one thread" model. A lot of the shows that get discussed in there I haven't seen yet, and invariably people drop spoilers even without meaning to. And when I want to discuss a show I've only just got around to watching, the fact that it's been out for weeks and therefore has been hashed to death on pages 12-14 of a 22-page thread (when it's even in the same thread), which I'm then made to feel bad for not having read in its entirety, is a bit off-putting.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    >_> umm doesn't that get confusion to talk about every anime all in one thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Poison_Fish View Post
    A fair amount of us have seen it, it is indeed very pretty and I am eagerly awaiting the next one, even though it'll be awhile.
    Ive seen the new Char's mobile suit. It makes me weep tears of joy.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    A lot of the shows that get discussed in there I haven't seen yet, and invariably people drop spoilers even without meaning to.
    Oh, like Hollowfied Kaname?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Yeah. It was never really planned to come into being. That thread was originally a specific one, but due to people being incapable of staying on top it got changed to general anime discussion. And people still don't stay on topic. There was a large discussion about swords recently and we have talked quite a bit about Persona 3 and 4 in the past. So it is more like a place where people discuss anime and whatever that discussion happens to touch upon. So i support also having targeted threads.

I saw Gundam Unicorn a while ago, just after coming to China. It was indeed pretty and paid a lot of attention to the little details. I also like how it managed to make a few short shots underscoring the themes of the ova without taking up much time. Definitely looking forward to the rest of it.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

I rarely post in the anime thread because I often can't get into the discussion. :P
    Anyways, I liked Unicorn a lot, and I'm looking forward to the next eps. I liked how the art style was clean and well-done and yet reminded me so much of the old UC series. There was no need for any fanservice or shiny bishies.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

General Anime Discussion is for general anime discussion, i.e. free-wheeling talk about the current season, requests for recommendations, comparisions between shows, total nonsense etc. Don't see any reason why a specific topic shouldn't deserve its own thread.

Saw the first episode of Unicorn at a recent anime festival here. It was pretty cool! The animation was excellent, and I was amused by the adherence to UC aesthetics. Also found myself surprisingly able to follow what was going on despite only having seen the original MSG and not Zeta, ZZ or CCA; apparently "the Federation is corrupt, Zeon keeps rising again, Newtypes/funnels/Haro lol" was a fairly complete summary after all.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

I beat you there, Kami. I could follow it having only seen 08th MS Team before.

And yeah, it looks like classic UC Gundam updated to modern art and some of the highest quality modern artwork i've seen at that. Really anybody with even the slightest interest in real robot shows should give it a shot.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

I tried showing a no-gundam friend it, but even after explaining he couldn't understand what was going on. It's not as accessible as it could be.

That said, I thoroughly enjoyed myself. The Lotos are awesome, and the feddie with the launcher is the man.

Banagher and the titular machine are probably the least interesting part of it for me. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who feels that way.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Well, Banagher's friends are not too interesting either. But he is still a lot better than most Gundam leads from Wing and onwards. I mean the only good things about Heero and Setsuna is that their social retardation is hilarious to make fun of and Kira is, well, Kira.

The titular machine is one of the more unique main character Gundams, at least. Or it probably is, we haven't seen much of it yet.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quotes Terra and Kami for Truth- though I suspect there's at least one thing they're both missing having not seen Zeta and ZZ...

Spoiler
    Show
    'Audrey' appears to be Mineva Zabi
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Pen View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    'Audrey' appears to be Mineva Zabi
    Oh, I forgot that. Yeah, I assumed
    Spoiler
    Show
    she was going to be a Zabi, or a Deikun, or something.

The friend I watched it with had seen no Gundam at all. It was hilarious. My other friends refused to watch it because it had "unicorn" in the title. Was tempted to start humming "I wanna be with you...".

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

I had forgotten the correct name, but i did suspect her identity once she shows herself to be in a position to just dismiss Banagher. I know the basics of the plot of Zeta and ZZ, at least.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Oh, like Hollowfied Kaname?
    That's different - it's intentional.
    I suppose I could take the name out of my sig, but my gratitude to neoseph7 eclipses my decorum in this (and just about any other) instance. And besides, it's a short enough appearance that I barely consider it a spoiler anyway.

(Hmm... was that a spoiler?)
    Last edited by Optimystik; 2010-04-08 at 03:09 PM.