New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Dwarf Fortress III: Instant Fun : Just Add Magma

It burned until it hit some slopes, where it stopped. Glad I don't need to worry about the fire anymore.

On the other hand, two goblin ambush parties are outside my front door. Well, I imprisoned two of their colleagues in cage traps, so it's not a total loss.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    Gamer cancels life, interrupted by Dwarf Fortress.

2. - Top - End - #722
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    ...I've noticed that ambushes (and probably sieges as well) have a tendency to get a bit smarter about running into traps after a previous group fails...

I've noticed that they tend to mull around the outside and wait it out instead of running headlong to certain death.

I usually deconstruct and reconstruct my traps after each ambush/siege and that seems to work (since because they're now "new traps" despite being made of the same parts and being in the same spot)...
    Told ya so.

3. - Top - End - #723

Heh, the new adventure mode is so fun!

I'm currently removing all of this one man's features, after this, I'm going to beat him to death with his own ears, and then I'm going to rob his store!
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    Have you seen what Bulbasaur is packing?

Long range razor sharp projectiles.
    Seeds with the speed and power of smg rounds.
    Midrange explosives.
    Death rays powered by the sun itself!
    Steam name: Dragero Add me! (Just click this link)

4. - Top - End - #724
    Titan in the Playground

So... if you could have any one thing added to Dwarf Fortress, what would you want?

For me...
    Spoiler
    Show
    ... Sewage. Now hear me out...

I want Dwarves to need to relieve themselves. The pioneers of the fortress would have no (or minimal) complaint using a shrub or bucket, but as the fortress grows, you'd need larger scale accomidations...

I want to be able to build an elaborate, oversized fantasy sewage pipe and have it actually serve a purpose. I want enormous rats and other nasties to spawn in the filth and attempt to make their way into my fortress in packs... I want thieves and intelligent sewer creatures to file through the bars or grates I place over the tunnel entrance and attempt to make their way into my fortress through the sewers.

Most of all, I want to be attacked by a Forgotten Beast made of sewage and somehow imprison it in a large section of cavern attached to my sewers where I will force it to sing opera. (Warning: Contains Explixit Language... and probably nuts)

My second choice would probably be grave robbers. Simply put, nobles would demand to be buried with a certain amount and/or type of goods when they die or else they will haunt you (as if you never bothered to bury them in the first place). Thieves will attempt to steal these goods.

5. - Top - End - #725

Pipes. As in "don't dig down a full level, just stick a pipe inside the floor."

6. - Top - End - #726
    Titan in the Playground

With pipes, you'd probably still have to dig the hole... It would just give you a way of controling liquid movement in a more open space...

7. - Top - End - #727

Controllable siege and ambush settings in the init file (with population and the import/export files) so that I can get attacked before the first year is out without having to resort to mods and/or digging into the files myself.

8. - Top - End - #728

BlackDragon

Anyone figured out how to make a "shower" to wash off the amount of blood/ bad stuff that dorfs get coated in?

I'm thinking a 3-z layer rooms, with holes/grates up top, flood gates connected to pressure plates to control when the water moved through, and a few holes/grates leading to the bottom z-to hold the water till it evaporates.
    I am:
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #729
    Dwarf in the Playground

For a 2-tile wide hallway, how about:
    Three z-levels; a 2x3 catch basin at the bottom, 2x3 grid of grates for the dwarves to walk across, and a 2x1 opening in the ceiling in the middle for the water to drip down from.
    Have a dual pump to pull water from the catch basin to the top, then squeeze it through a diagonal gap to relieve the pressure. Then the water can spread out and drip over both tiles of the edge in 1's and 2's to avoid panic.

10. - Top - End - #730
    Ogre in the Playground

Easier way to do it is to carve out a dead-end hallway, and somewhere in the middle dig a channel that goes across the entire width of it. Fill the channel with 3/7 or 4/7 of water, set an emergency alert burrow on the far side, and assign everyone to it. They'll have to wade through the water to get there.

11. - Top - End - #731

You know what I think would be neat? Mutations.

Like, nothing really extreme, under ordinary circumstances (no children with tentacles, etc.). Just albinoes and stunting in most biomes.

But in Evil biomes, particularly Evil Wetlands, mutation would become more common. It could also be more severe. Imagine a pack of two-headed wolves fighting an army of Dwarves with too many teeth and/or fingers.

(Spoilers I consider rather minor)
    Spoiler
    Show

And of course, the environment could change on its own, and boost mutation besides. Say you reach the HFS or run into a Forgotten Beast - should't this taint the nearby Dwarves and surrounding land? And things living underground, like animal people - shouldn't those mutate sometimes?

Also, imagine visiting a previous fortress that fell to HFS and succumbing to this radioactive clown-poison. Fanged adventurers!

... Or three-eyed ones. Eh, semantics, you know it's cool.

Also, improved mechanisms. Pipes, traps, sewage, and any other design not mentioned already, like clockwork things.

Also, weapon anatomy. Just like creature anatomy, but it simulates condition. For example, you snap off your blade in a dragon's neck, or a modded gun can have its hammer jam. It could also get arrows snapped off in you, but they're lethal enough right now.

Also, sniping, or some way to prevent enemy archers from doing it to you by shooting from offscreen

Also, a method of programming (or otherwise planning) orderly management of creatures - that is, a jailing and marching system, and proper executions. You just can't have absolute authority of you never prove it - they'll stop taking you seriously after a while

(We need a Tarquin smiley )

Post-scriptum: AND MORE THAN ANYTHING, I wanna see more medicine. No, no, not just doctors, but field medics and self-treatments. Eventually the Army Arc is going to get intense, and I think any self-respecting battlefield needs its medics and badasses that stitch themselves up. With twine.

Post-PS: Necromancy.
    Last edited by Arachu; 2010-12-25 at 03:53 PM.
    Thanks for existing.

Dragon Hunter avatar by Lerky. Magical Girl by the lovely Astrella~

12. - Top - End - #732
    Titan in the Playground

Ooh... and sewage could cause mutations =P

13. - Top - End - #733

Considering what the dwarven diet consists of, this makes perfect sense.
    Last edited by Dragero; 2010-12-26 at 12:19 PM.

Midrange explosives.

14. - Top - End - #734
    Titan in the Playground

Mushrooms and mushroom wine?

Yeah, I could see it happening.

15. - Top - End - #735

Damn. If I don't accidentally flood my fortress trying to set up a floodgate-based irrigation system, my dwarves starve to death. If that doesn't happen, between the monkeys and the other pests my stuff gets nicked and my dwarves injured and therefore end up bleeding to death.

There's clearly only one solution:

I must find some way to farm them for their meat.

Edit: The monkeys, not the dwarves.
    Last edited by Blayze; 2010-12-27 at 07:04 AM.

16. - Top - End - #736
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blayze View Post
    There's clearly only one solution:

I must find some way to farm them for their meat.

Edit: The monkeys, not the dwarves.
    Cage traps + training = Baby monkey chops.

My current questions is:

How do I designate an area for dwarves to clean themselves? They say that a cleaning area is inaccessible..but I can't figure out a place to tell them to clean at. I have channelled out areas above underground water and lightly flooded places for them to frolick in the water...but they will not clean.
    Computer use and information blog at:
    http://www.examiner.com/x-41452-Okla...and-Assistance
    Click and comment please. Thanks!

17. - Top - End - #737

Quote Originally Posted by MonarchAnarch View Post
    Cage traps + training = Baby monkey chops.

My current questions is:

How do I designate an area for dwarves to clean themselves? They say that a cleaning area is inaccessible..but I can't figure out a place to tell them to clean at. I have channelled out areas above underground water and lightly flooded places for them to frolick in the water...but they will not clean.
    what version are you using? Some of the old versions have buggy cleaning.

And blayze, I liked your post more without the edit!

Midrange explosives.

18. - Top - End - #738
    Dwarf in the Playground

If you're having trouble getting your irrigation started, just make a two story room with raised walkways, and designate the farms as a pond. One bucket of water per tile is all you need to get started, and then you'll have food and booze to tide you over until you get the plumbing sorted out.

19. - Top - End - #739

It might be because I just woke up, but I can't for the life of me picture what you mean mentally, Suicide. Could I have a picture of the setup, please?

In related news, I've just realised I've started thinking in ASCII thanks to Dwarf Fortress.

20. - Top - End - #740
    Ogre in the Playground

If you have soap and an area designated as a water source they should clean themselves normally. Make sure you have a recent version. I had to lock up my soap to prevent animals from trying to get at it and then realize they have no arms to carry the soap (giving an error).
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

21. - Top - End - #741
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ObadiahtheSlim View Post
    If you have soap and an area designated as a water source they should clean themselves normally. Make sure you have a recent version. I had to lock up my soap to prevent animals from trying to get at it and then realize they have no arms to carry the soap (giving an error).
    Perhaps I haven't set a water source. I'll have to look into that. Thanks again. :)
    Computer use and information blog at:
    http://www.examiner.com/x-41452-Okla...and-Assistance
    Click and comment please. Thanks!

22. - Top - End - #742
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by MonarchAnarch View Post
    Perhaps I haven't set a water source. I'll have to look into that. Thanks again. :)
    There's a bug in the current .18 version, as far as I'm aware. To get rid of that message completely, forbid all soap that's not currently inside your hospital stockpiles.
    Ask not for whom the wolves howl, they howl for thee.

--- Also known as [GITP] Magentawolf

23. - Top - End - #743
    Titan in the Playground

Is their a way to make creatures metalivoric? Or to make a substance that can be both forged and eaten? I'm trying to modyfiy the RAWs in order to make a substance called "concentrated bad***" (along with it's liquid form, liquid bad***)
    Last edited by Necroticplague; 2010-12-28 at 12:07 PM. Reason: minor spelling error

24. - Top - End - #744
    Ogre in the Playground

It should be possible. Read up on the reactions . However I think if it is food, it can rot when not stored in a stockpile or barrel.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

25. - Top - End - #745

Is their a way to make creatures metalivoric? Or to make a substance that can be both forged and eaten? I'm trying to modyfiy the RAWs in order to make a substance called "concentrated bad***" (along with it's liquid form, liquid bad***)
    There's probably a reaction for it. I suggest giving it three reactions - liquid bad*** that you drink as booze, concentrated bad*** that you eat, and bad*** gear.

Imagine a watch-Dwarf wearing 'bad*** platemail', drinking 'liquid bad***' and eating a 'bad*** bisquit'.

Which would force you to manage the waste. At first, you'd have to dig holes and designate them as latrines - otherwise, they could poison the surrounding forage.

Eventually, that would be unaffective. If you use the river, you pollute the land, making everything sick - and possibly mutate after a couple of generations.

If you make a sewer, and the other hand, it would slowly be filled with monsters. What's worse, mad Dwarves could run down there and breed sewer mutants.

It would also give you adequate quarters for Elven diplomats.

(What? It is natural... )

... Plus, a system for realistic sewers means realistic causways and tunnels.
    Thanks for existing.

26. - Top - End - #746
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I really don't think that sewage is a good idea....especially with the contaminants being the way they are right now. As soon as a drop of it got into the rivers or a well-traveled area everyone would get bad thoughts, then get sick, then worse stuff.

Although i could see it now, vast rivers of Dwarf-waste pouring into the oceans and within 100 years the world turns into a very smelly Age of Emptiness as the worlds' water supply is forever contaminated by dwarf-waste
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    teleporting Hyper Nixon solves problems with Patriotism.

27. - Top - End - #747
    Titan in the Playground

Sir, since you brought up contaminants, I feel I should dirct you to this thread

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73893.0

And for sewage in particular, this one is also good

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=52643.0

28. - Top - End - #748
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Sir, since you brought up contaminants, I feel I should dirct you to this thread

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73893.0
    That would be a better way to deal with contaminants, but as they are right now i still don't think sewage and waste would be a good idea. As amusing as would be to watch waste get into the water supply and flow out and around any moving water source and getting into the water supply and all over your dwarfs and other kinds of Fun, but it would just compound the issue right now.

And for sewage in particular, this one is also good

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=52643.0
    I could see it now....dozens of dwarfs crawling over each other in order to be the one to use the latrine and then all the others' piling on top of him....

also why does it seem like whenever sewage and waste is mentioned people get into mutations? I may be be missing the reference here, but I'm pretty sure all it that would happen is that it would make people sick.

of course that could revolutionize the war in Dwarf Fortress once someone figures out how to weaponize it
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    teleporting Hyper Nixon solves problems with Patriotism.

29. - Top - End - #749
    Titan in the Playground

I dunno... Just something that seems to happen in fanasy/sci-fi...

Look at Futurama...

30. - Top - End - #750

Yeah, sewer-mutants are a staple.

I would say it mostly makes you sick, unless you spend a lot of time in it or you're in an Evil biome.

In this way, sewage-mutants would arise from criminals, maddwarves and animals "accidentally" sealed in the sewer for too long, or from poor management that results in it getting all over the floor for a couple of years.

Plus, most minor mutations would be like those commonly associated with caves anyway (albinos, hunched spines, etc.).
    Thanks for existing.