New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1492
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Dwarf Fortress III: Instant Fun : Just Add Magma

Bah, I literally had 2 minutes before I had to leave, so I quickly (failed at) cropping just the beast's info and posting it. Sorry about that.

From what I've seen on the bay12 forums, my salt-ball will either take forever to kill, or die in one hit.

Also, are Dungeon master's fixed yet? Are they able to migrate to my fort now?

Edit: Ok, Dr.Salt-Ball is dead, but I have a bigger problem:

While my dwarves where cleaning up the (minor) mess that the salt-ball made, another beast came.

"Alright, that last one died pretty quickly, hopefully this is-OHGODWHATISHEDOINGTOTHATBABY!!!"

It quickly rushed into my main stairwell and slaughtered a bunch of dwarves, followed by a pack of war animals that follow my commander around, followed by everybody who was trying to escape the 3rd cavern layer through the stairwell that it was guarding.

It currently looks like this, and is showing no sign of slowing down.
    Spoiler
    Show

I sure hope it's gas isn't toxic, I don't want a syndrome on my hands after all that's happened here. I can't quite tell if the gas is injuring my dwarves, as they get injured by this thing just as quickly.

Edit2: Ok, it's dead. After having EVERYTHING broken, and murdering about 6 dwarves, horribly mutilating 4 others, and spreading it's gas everywhere, it just collapsed.

Now I see another problem, dwarves are randomly passing out where they go to try and retrieve the bodies......I hope that's all the gas does.
    Last edited by Dragero; 2011-04-17 at 11:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    Have you seen what Bulbasaur is packing?

Long range razor sharp projectiles.
    Seeds with the speed and power of smg rounds.
    Midrange explosives.
    Death rays powered by the sun itself!
    Steam name: Dragero Add me! (Just click this link)

2. - Top - End - #1142
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Drager0 View Post
    Now I see another problem, dwarves are randomly passing out where they go to try and retrieve the bodies......I hope that's all the gas does.
    Hopefully. I had a Deadly Dust Forgotten Beast which caused whoever breathed the dust in to become nauseous, followed by their brain turning teal(function loss), followed by every other body part turning yellow(Inhibited) and then them suffocating all in the span of like a minute or so...
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    teleporting Hyper Nixon solves problems with Patriotism.

3. - Top - End - #1143

Well it seems that only people who directly inhaled the gas where passing out, as nobody has passed out for a while now.

Also this
    Spoiler
    Show

Midrange explosives.

4. - Top - End - #1144
    Titan in the Playground

I still suggest keeping th edwarves who had passed out isolated for a while... Sometimes syndromes don't show their full effects for a while...

5. - Top - End - #1145

I did just that, creating a small colony of them in one of my old mining tunnels, forcing them to make useless stuff and eat boring food for a bit less than a year. Everyone seems fine, so i let them out.

Now another problem has come, my dwarves seem to prefer skipping around in the meadow to staying inside the safety of the fort durring a large (30+) goblin ambush. I've set a big underground burrow, covering most of my fort, and activated it with the current alert, yet they still seem to think it's alright to go outside and become a pincushion.

Bah, I forgot to associate the burrow with the alert.
    Last edited by Dragero; 2011-04-17 at 04:17 PM.

Midrange explosives.

6. - Top - End - #1146
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Drager0 View Post
    Now another problem has come, my dwarves seem to prefer skipping around in the meadow to staying inside the safety of the fort durring a large (30+) goblin ambush. I've set a big underground burrow, covering most of my fort, and activated it with the current alert, yet they still seem to think it's alright to go outside and become a pincushion.

Bah, I forgot to associate the burrow with the alert.
    Tisk Tisk

Just because Dwarves are almost completely incompetent does not mean it's always their fault...

7. - Top - End - #1147
    Firbolg in the Playground

Yeah! Breached the first cavern. No sign of anything worse than that crocodile, and I'm reasonably certain my hammerdwarf and 2 marksdwarves can deal with that. Lots of webs, but no Giant Cave Spider webs.

Considering I was just going deep to make the cemetary, I decided to make all my tombs be on the surface of the water. Then when someone dies, I'll put them in the coffin then sink their coffin-mound into the water. I think the water's 2-3 z-levels deep, so I might be able to sink 2 layers of coffins...
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

8. - Top - End - #1148

Any recommendations on finding caverns quickly? I have this concept for a fortress carved out of the caverns, but I can't seem to find the damn things unless I'm not trying.

9. - Top - End - #1149

Quote Originally Posted by Incomp View Post
    Any recommendations on finding caverns quickly? I have this concept for a fortress carved out of the caverns, but I can't seem to find the damn things unless I'm not trying.
    I just went straight down.

Had a bit of a... mishap. I had this system set up where I would one lever would open 2 floodgates, diverting part of the river, irrigating my farms and then flowing into my well-place to drain the farm. It was foolproof! Multiple levers and floodgates meant no risk of flooding. Well, very little risk of flooding. The first time I did it I flooded part of the sleeping quarters, but only a little. I think it's cause I let too much water through, it somehow forced it's way through a wall.

Well, I made a big mistake. I mined out some lignite out of the farm wall, on a corner, and forgot about it. Ooops. Well, when I let the water through to irrigate an extension of my farms, it SPURTED out at high pressure through the tiny gap, and went down the stairs.

4 dwarves happened to be in the staircase.

Ok, so in a cool but not-so-useful design, my staircases have a channel in the middle. I use it for dumping. Any wastes goes through the pit into the cavern far below.

All 4 dwarves were swept by what little water there was down. They all died. I don't think I can get them back, cause they're at the bottom of the underground lake now.

I also lost an iron crossbow and an iron pick. I'll see if I can pick up the fort without those guys... Note to self: Try to double-wall the well resevoir, somehow some water is still going right through the constructed wall...

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

10. - Top - End - #1150

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    I just went straight down.
    How many z-levels down? The first thing I tried was digging down 20 levels.

Had a bit of a... mishap. I had this system set up where I would one lever would open 2 floodgates, diverting part of the river, irrigating my farms and then flowing into my well-place to drain the farm. It was foolproof! Multiple levers and floodgates meant no risk of flooding. Well, very little risk of flooding. The first time I did it I flooded part of the sleeping quarters, but only a little. I think it's cause I let too much water through, it somehow forced it's way through a wall.
    That sounds like almost exactly the system I use.

Well, I made a big mistake. I mined out some lignite out of the farm wall, on a corner, and forgot about it. Ooops. Well, when I let the water through to irrigate an extension of my farms, it SPURTED out at high pressure through the tiny gap, and went down the stairs.

4 dwarves happened to be in the staircase.

Ok, so in a cool but not-so-useful design, my staircases have a channel in the middle. I use it for dumping. Any wastes goes through the pit into the cavern far below.

All 4 dwarves were swept by what little water there was down. They all died. I don't think I can get them back, cause they're at the bottom of the underground lake now.

I also lost an iron crossbow and an iron pick. I'll see if I can pick up the fort without those guys... Note to self: Try to double-wall the well resevoir, somehow some water is still going right through the constructed wall...
    Well, make sure to make slabs for the dwarves at least.

Anyway, you know you don't need water for farms anymore, right? It says "no mud for underground farm" or something like that, but it's lying.

11. - Top - End - #1151

That sounds like almost exactly the system I use.

Well, make sure to make slabs for the dwarves at least.

Anyway, you know you don't need water for farms anymore, right? It says "no mud for underground farm" or something like that, but it's lying.

WHYYYYYYYY!

I went down... Let's see... less than 10, I think. about 10 z-levels. Then again, I had 2 shafts, about 10 tiles apart, each shaft 3 high and 5 long, so I was hitting a quite large area there.

Yeah, I'll carve some slabs for them. Poor sods, they literally fell just feet away from my tombs. I haven't double checked yet, but I KNOW the hunter had a tomb assigned, and possibly the miner too.

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

12. - Top - End - #1152
    Ogre in the Playground

One of these days I'm gonna have to learn how to actually play Fort mode. I'm fine with Adventure, but I think the longest my dwarves have ever lasted was two years - and even then half of them didn't have bedrooms of their own and the more dwarves kept pouring in and making it hard for my farms to produce enough food to keep anyone alive, and everyone was subsisting off of water from a well.

It's been so long since I've played Fort mode that I don't even remember how to do anything anymore. I think I might be able to find a quick start guide again, but it'll be outdated now. My problem was always keeping a stable food/drink production running - and I don't think I ever got far enough to work out military or creating a stable weapon/armour production.

13. - Top - End - #1153
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

It's entirely possible that you completely missed the first cavern. In one of the fortress's i had, i completely and utterly missed the first and second caverns. I didn't realize this until after i found Magical Blue Metal and dug too deep to find The Place That Must Not Be Named.

14. - Top - End - #1154

Remember that salt-blob that attacked by fort? I entirely forgot to mention, since it had no limbs, other than tails, it poked things

REALLY

REALLY

REALLY

HARD

It poked a god to death in one page, and poked a baby within an inch of it's life on the next, which eventually died of infection cause it didn't want to visit that hospital. I think it even broke some guy's foot.

Also, a dog spent the better part of a month shaking a Giant Eagle to death. And it didn't die until a passing hunter lobbed a bolt into it. That dog literally sat there for a month grabbing this eagle by the head and shaking it. Worst part was the eagle had rotted before any space could be made in the butcher shop.
    Last edited by Dragero; 2011-04-18 at 06:53 AM. Reason: It had no limbs, not 9n limbs.

Midrange explosives.

15. - Top - End - #1155
    Ogre in the Playground

If you have trouble finding the cavern here is a trick. When your layer changes minerals, dig off to the side instead of down. If you don't find anything in 20 tiles, switch directions. There is also a trick if you want to breach the caverns without letting in creatures. Dig out one tile at at time and then carve a fortification out of the exposed wall. Rinse and repeat.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

16. - Top - End - #1156

Okay, so I found the first cavern, 26 z-levels down. Sweet.

Trouble is, it's infested by a tribe of olm men, and my military consists of two war dogs.

Solution: the carpenter is making wooden shields and training axes, and as soon as that's done, my miner is going to bore through the wall adjacent to the olm man camp, and my militia will pour out, screaming, and massacre the slimy bastards. At least, in theory.

With the dogs, we outnumber them 9 to 6 7, and since picks are a weapon governed by the mining skill (I think) my miner will make a pretty nice militia captain...

EDIT: So yeah, the surprise attack worked pretty damn well. No casualties, and only my carpenter was seriously injured, and, well, he didn't really need that thumb anyway. Turns out olm men are no match for untrained militia with wooden weapons.
    Last edited by Incomp; 2011-04-18 at 08:10 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1157
    Titan in the Playground

No Cavern for Olm Men?
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

18. - Top - End - #1158

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    No Cavern for Olm Men?
    Y'know, I was thinking I needed a new sig quote for a while... Permission?

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

19. - Top - End - #1159

The dwarves were soon after mauled by blind cave ogres. Turns out the cavern had a passageway leading to cavern 2, which in itself had a passageway leading to the shiny blue stuff, which is actually the first time I've actually run into it ingame.

But then the ogres attacked. We kept knocking them out, but we couldn't kill them with wooden axes, and more kept arriving...

20. - Top - End - #1160
    Titan in the Playground

Go ahead. I'm rarely sigged so it's nice to be able to say yes.

21. - Top - End - #1161

So, just now, a forgotten beast wanders up to my fortress, which is, yes, situated in a cavern. It's a croc with three tails. (Beware its deadly blood!) Well, it starts chillin' out in this lake, and I stop paying attention to it for a minute to deal with other matters. When I look back, it's rampaging around my fort's main plaza. Sighing, I send my lone militiaman, Maxwell, at it. He's armed with a silver hammer, and armored in a steel shield and some bizmunth bronze chainmail leggings I had recently bought off traders. He has two war dogs as well.

War dog 1 is the first one to reach the croc, and it valiently dies. The croc busies itself chasing after a yak calf, buying Maxie and War dog B enough time to arrive. They fight. And fight. And fight. Until only Maxwell and his silver hammer remain. I check the militiaman's wounds, certain he wouldn't be around much longer. He is completely unharmed.

Win.

22. - Top - End - #1162
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

So, just now, a forgotten beast wanders up to my fortress, which is, yes, situated in a cavern. It's a croc with three tails. (Beware its deadly blood!) Well, it starts chillin' out in this lake, and I stop paying attention to it for a minute to deal with other matters.
    I would have attempted to make that lake his new home and set up some kind of pen to keep it in. Kind of like you see in zoo's. You then claim that he's your new mascot and feed him rogue goblins who manage to get through you defenses.

23. - Top - End - #1163

Yeah, I had a project to wall off the lake going, (can forgotten beasts break walls?) but it didn't get done before the big guy decided he wanted lunch.

24. - Top - End - #1164
    Ogre in the Playground

Constructed items through the b->C menu are completely indestructible. Even if the material isn't magma proof. Even if the material is ice. Now buildings like doors and floodgates are vulnerable to stuff with BUILDINGDESTROYER tags.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

25. - Top - End - #1165
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ObadiahtheSlim View Post
    Constructed items through the b->C menu are completely indestructible. Even if the material isn't magma proof. Even if the material is ice.
    or in this case, Glass Blocks for a Terrarium.

26. - Top - End - #1166
    Titan in the Playground

Natural walls, including Obsidian created by magma dropped into water are also completely immune.

27. - Top - End - #1167
    Dwarf in the Playground

28. - Top - End - #1168
    Orc in the Playground

Man, I just went back to my 30.18 fort, the most successful that I'd ever had, to see if I could manage to destroy it.

Well, no sooner did I start than a massive siege, the likes of which I'd never seen before, began. My military, which had been able to handle the enemy in the past, was quickly wiped out, and the hundred dwarf fortress was quickly decimated. I activated my dead-man switch and began flooding the whole place, hoping to take the enemy army with me.

Then I left, and an hour later some of the dwarves were still alive, the siege continued, and the FPS was painfully low for me. So I succumbed to the siege.

Seriously, if I'd just played the game ten minutes longer last time, it would have ended. Crazy how that happens, huh?
    Assassin avatar by the awesome Elder Tsofu.

29. - Top - End - #1169
    Titan in the Playground

As awesome as the announcement about hordes of the living dead coming in the near future is, I almost feel it would've been more appropriate if Toady had worked on some other things and saved that for October...

30. - Top - End - #1170

I don't know. I don't play adventure mode, so I don't really care about cities and catacombs and such, not that I'm trivializing them for those who do.

But I would much rather see the trade system be un-broken. Crafting needs to get nerfed. Hard. And caravans should bring less cloth and more useful things. As it stands I can literally buy everything the first caravan brings if I get my mugmaker running in a reasonable timeframe, and it only gets worse from there.