New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Frayed Edges (IC)

In the quiet of the morning, the sun rises over the small community of Derail. The early risers start to stir, and soon the hustle and bustle of the town has commenced; stores open up, and people head out to run their errands.

A murmur of anticipation is in the air, as the Lighting Rail will be arriving at Derail later today. This is always a busy day as family members arrive in town from far away, or mail arrives from outside the community.

As it is a Sunday, most workers have the day off, and people will be out and about, catching up with friends or doing shopping and errands.

((The initial, open ended all is well post. You may start interacting with each other, and the plot hook will come later in the IC day.))
    Last edited by Mabuhay; 2010-09-04 at 12:35 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Frayed Edges (IC)

About a quarter mile from the town, a slender, young male pulled himself out of the river where he had decided to bath for the morning. Sunday morning and with the Lightning Rail coming through today--today was the best day to go for a swim before heading to town.

He strode into the far side, into the trees, his long brown hair clutching to his head as water dripped out of it. Walking past a few of the first trees, his green eyes catch the sight of a large wolf curled up on the ground.

"Morning there, Varin." The black canine raises its head and stares at him for a moment before standing up and circling around him. "Time to get dressed, then a little hike to town. Sound good to you Varin?"

The wolf let out a short bark in agreement, as the tanned man worked on putting on his clothes which was mostly hand crafted leather and hides to form a fitting outfit.

----

Nearly about a quarter hour later, Dorendo was walking along the roads leading from the outskirts of the town into the heart of the town with Varin, his pet wolf, at his heels. People around town would almost certain recognize Dorendo--while he wasn't the most attractive person, they'd still probably know him for his way with words and his social nature.
    While I'm considered True Neutral, I'm secretly Chaotic and Evil. Which scored the same as my True Neutral... And higher than my Lawful and Good. =D

3. - Top - End - #3

Emery awakes in the common room of the inn. It's Sunday, so he takes a moment to stretch in his bedding before he thinks about the day to come. Sunday is a day for magic, and also rest. The hours at the smithy are long, and Emery still can't believe how many horseshoes and plowshares a town this small could need.

We've made three in the last week alone! I swear, the fields must be sown with boulders... I wonder if a magic missile would have any effect on a boulder? I shall have to find out today. It probably won't. My spells don't seem to have gained any power since I arrived here. My abilities increased so fast when Edward was teaching me, but I seem to be stuck in a rut now.

Deciding that it is time to rise, Emery quickly packs his things and heads out the front door of the inn.

4. - Top - End - #4

AssassinGuy

The innkeeper smiles as she sees Emery walking by. Good morning Emery! What are you up to today?

Dorendo walks by several people heading out to the fields who hardly give him a second look- The man with the wolf is a normal thing for them by now.

5. - Top - End - #5

Emery is so caught up in his ponderings that he almost misses the inkeep's greeting.
    "Oh, good morning Grace! I was just headed out to that clearing in the forest to practice my spells again, but that will only take so long. Is anything of interest happening in town today?"

6. - Top - End - #6

AssassinGuy

Well, the lightning rail is stopping in town today, something interesting usually comes of that.... She stops and scratches her head, thinking. I think that's about it. You know how it is around here hon.

She walks out from behind the counter, heading towards another room to Emery's back. Say, I was about to feed some of the other patrons breakfast. You want a bite to eat?
    Last edited by Mabuhay; 2010-09-04 at 03:13 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Emery thinks for a moment, and comes to the realization that the last time he ate was lunch the day before. He does an about face and follows her into the other room.

"Yes, that sounds delightful, actually"

8. - Top - End - #8

AssassinGuy

Grace guides Emery into a room with some other people, mostly travelers, passers-through and transients. They are clearly waiting for their meal.

Grace says Well, you know the drill. Have a seat anywhere, I'll be right back.

She continues on into the kitchen, leaving you in the dining area.
    Aside from a few passing glances, the people all ignore you, intent on their own conversations.

Likewise, the tables are mostly full, as for seats, there are some at an empty table in the corner, or an open seat next to a younger, stronger, more well groomed, and casually uniformed man, who at the moment seems to be by himself.
    Last edited by Mabuhay; 2010-09-04 at 03:45 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sunday, a day of oportunities, Gorbag thinks while waking up, an hour before sunset. He heads eat his breakfast, made with cooked fish and wild fruits, and heads for the cold river, in where he takes a quick bath, just to be presentable in the city, using his best clothes. Quarterstaff in one hand, a Studded Leather under his clothes, an Orcish Double Axe in his back, visible behind his Backpack, filled with random work items and his daily rations, a pouch with all his savings (of 1 gold piece and 5 silver ones), and a decided look on his face while heading into the city.

Thieves were not common in the forest, and he had made himself some fame of being... not worth provoking, at least. If they had dared invade his simple, one room wood cottage, all they would find would be a pile of firewood, a very simple wood bed filled with straw, a sack with nine rations, a couple of chairs and table, clearly not made by a professional, and some edibles from the forest and river. Gorbag was hardly rich, but this home of his was, for him, a great luxury, he had gained through hard work in the city. He could still remember the days when he had nothing else than the clothes he was wearing, no roof, no weapon to defend himself or even hunt, for food, and of course, not a single copper piece. Many would turn their nose at this place. For him? It was close to paradise.

Sundays... A day to enjoy family, to rest and to have fun... Not for Gorbag. While everyone enjoyed their day, walking around, checking the merchant's wares and socializing, he went to hunt a work opportunity. Few are the ones that are willing to work today... I hope, he thought. His offer was usually tempting: to work wherever people would not, for a normal day's fee. When he was lucky he could get easy jobs, like security guard, vigilant or doorman, with not much effort. If not so lucky, he would end up carrying heavy cargo in the train station, working in a construction or something worse. But of course, those were not the worst days, for many times he returned home without having made a copper piece, with noone interested in his services.

Lost in thoughts, Gorbag sees the city at a distance, smiles and presses his march. In no time he's entering it and wandering through the empty streets, looking for an opportunity. It's early, and most workers are regaining the energy lost through the week, but he knows soon the main streets will be boiling in a swarm of people. He'd better hurry.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Player: I was thinking that in the mythology (of the campaign) the figure of two brothers fighting each other is the climax and end of most tales. Maybe if we sought after Prea's brother, we could find a way to amend for the liberation of the corrupter.
    DM: What was your intelligence again?
    Player: Huh... 8?
    DM: And that thought quickly vanishes from your mind.

Hippiemancer avatar by Qwernt

10. - Top - End - #10

AssassinGuy

Morning Gorbag.
    The manager of the local construction team nods to him as he walks by.

Despite how much of the village may feel towards him, the manager appreciates his hardworking nature and has grown to like the half-orc.
    Last edited by Mabuhay; 2010-09-04 at 06:06 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Heya, boss! Any work left for me today? I hear the folk tend to desert your ranks on Sundays Gorbag replied, with a subtle smile. The manager was a kind man. At the beginning he had been distrustful of him, but with time he'd passed to treat him like any other one, which was not a common thing for Gorbag. He felt gratitude for that, though he'd never admit it. And would certainly rip the skull of anyone who'd suggest it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Player: I was thinking that in the mythology (of the campaign) the figure of two brothers fighting each other is the climax and end of most tales. Maybe if we sought after Prea's brother, we could find a way to amend for the liberation of the corrupter.

12. - Top - End - #12

AssassinGuy

The manager stops and turns to Gorbag. Well, I hate to break it to you, but I have the day off too. Nothing much to do.. He sighs apologetically.
    I'm sorry Gorbag. I know how hard it is for you to earn wages these days, and when I have some work, you'll be the first to know. In the meantime, do you need some money at all? You getting enough to eat?
    Last edited by Mabuhay; 2010-09-04 at 07:09 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Emery takes a slow look around, and when he doesn't see anyone he knows he walks over to sit next to the young man sitting by himself.

"Ho there. My name is Emery, I don't believe we've met."

14. - Top - End - #14

AssassinGuy

The man looks up to Emery.

Hey there. The name's Traven. I guess we wouldn't have met, as I just got in late last night. What brings you by these parts?

(You notice his uniform marks him as a lesser soldier, a scout or tracker probably, of one of the local lords/barons. You aren't too familiar with all the crests, so the name of who he serves escapes you.)

((Waiting on Dorendo to arrive in town before interacting with him.))
    Last edited by Mabuhay; 2010-09-04 at 09:08 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

And now he started to get too friendly, which made Gorbag a little uncomfortable. Of course I've got enough to eat, the forest provides me all I need! Money is only for luxuries, beer and fun., he answers, faking no need for the job. But... uhm... thanks, and with that he ends the chat. He was a nice fellow, perhaps too nice. How could someone like him survive in such harsh world? Well, that is something he'd never understand. In fact, he was pretty certain that some day, something terrible would happen to him. He should be more careful, for this is an unforgiving world. One day he'll offer his hand and get stabbed in response, he thought, while looking for something else to do.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16

"Hm, the answer to that question really isn't as simple as I would like. Let's say I'm on a vacation, of sorts. From my life in the city. And what brings you here? Derail isn't really a place that sees to many soldiers."

17. - Top - End - #17

AssassinGuy

The manager notices Gorbag's discomfort. Well, I'll let you go then. Got some errands to run for the missus.

He pats Gorbag on the shoulder and keeps heading wherever he was going.
    As he walks off, he says quietly to himself Hmm. Funny kid.

____________________________________________-
    Emery:
    Unfortunately, I can't really talk about that right now. I just got out from the plains, and I'll be meeting a man coming off the lightning rail later. That's about all I could really say.
    Last edited by Mabuhay; 2010-09-04 at 11:11 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Emery grins widely at the uniformed man, and decides to see how much he can get out of him.

"Secret work then? Sounds like it could be pretty interesting... Searching for hidden secrets, maybe? Or scouting a route of attack?"

None of the above, most likely, but he doesn't have to know I know that.

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, so I want to try and use Gather Information (or diplomacy, they're both untrained charisma skills) to get at least a little bit of info about what he's been up to.

GatherInformation - (1d20+4)[20]
    And if it doesn't work he'll work a different angle.

19. - Top - End - #19

MindFlayer

Dorendo nods lightly at a number of the people as they walk by out towards the fields on his way into the town. Striding into the town, he walks boldly along the main road--head held high, standing straight up. Ready to take on the world. Only one thing was off--around his right wrist were a number of small sprigs and his fingers danced over the parts of the sprigs dangling around his palm.

The town square--that's where he was headed. Knowing that people tended to visit the center of the town, he figured it a perfect place to spend his day waiting for the Lightning Rail that was coming through. May have been a while since any letters came off of it for him, but still worth a look.

Maybe if he was lucky, he'd have some entertainment while he waited--someone pleasing to spend the day talking to. Otherwise, he'd have to spend it bouncing around in short conversations.

(Sorry for my delay, I was in a IIRL D&D game from 10 am on. lol)
    While I'm considered True Neutral, I'm secretly Chaotic and Evil. Which scored the same as my True Neutral... And higher than my Lawful and Good. =D

20. - Top - End - #20
    Firbolg in the Playground

A sad dwarf shuffled his way towards the lightning rail station, his tears hidden behind a mass of graying facial hair. He thought about how the lightning rail had swept him and his new bride away on their honeymoon to Sharn--it seemed like such a short time ago.

He kicked up some pebbles as he walked. Truckley bowed his head and continued in silent prayer to the Sovereign Host, asking for any information about where she was.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

21. - Top - End - #21

AssassinGuy

Dorendo arrives at the train station, and shortly afterwards he sees a sad looking dwarf shuffling down the road towards where he's sitting. He seems very old, and very tired.
    ((If you know each other already let me know and I'll amend this))

Traven shifts uncomfortably in his chair. Look, I really shouldn't tell you anything more... I'm not even supposed to be here.
    He glances around to see if anyone is looking at him.
    If you want to know more, find the man I'm meeting at the lightning rail station... I think he's going to-
    Breakfast is served, everybody! With that, Grace come in with a large, steaming pot, and sets it down on a small serving table. Come and get it boys.

Grateful for the distraction, the man stands up.I'll um... tell you later.
    Last edited by Mabuhay; 2010-09-05 at 11:39 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Out of a nearby farmer's field walks a hulking creature of metal and wood. Its eyes glow with a green magical light and its movements are smooth and deliberate. A large greatsword is strapped to his back in a worn metal and leather scabbard that almost looks to be built into his back.

Emerging from the field (where he spent the whole evening stargazing) he walks straight towards the center of town. He stops on the side of the town's busiest intersection, standing tall and still like some living statue. He watches the passers-by intently, trying to learn more about the fleshy, living creatures who created him to kill.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide

23. - Top - End - #23

AssassinGuy

A large half-orc is walking down the road, and crosses Blitz's path.
    ((Your turn to do stuff with each other... Chat, interact, whatever.))
    Last edited by Mabuhay; 2010-09-05 at 12:34 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gorbag approached the free willed golem he had worked with from time to time, and started talking with him: Hey, metal can! Whatcha doing in there? Know about any job available that the softies won't handle, today?
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

Emery keeps his smile on and nods at Traven.

"That's more than alright, man. It was good meeting you."

Well, that worked better than I expected. I'll have to remember to be at the rail station today, it sounded like his contact might have work. Maybe this will be a chance for me to finally use magic in context. At any rate, it should be more interesting than Derail! And more productive than my 'studies' here...

Emery sits for a moment longer, giving himself a chance to think, and Traven a chance to get up and move away. Then he stands, pulls on his pack, and heads for the door, grabbing a couple pieces of bread from next to the pot on the serving table as he passes.

Hmm, now where shall I wait for the train to arrive? Ah, but I should retrieve my other things from the smithy first, if I'm to be leaving today.

And with that he heads off to the forge.

26. - Top - End - #26

AssassinGuy

As Emery grabs the bread, Grace raises her eyebrow at him. Bye hon.
    Last edited by Mabuhay; 2010-09-05 at 01:45 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Blitz turns his head slowly to regard the half-orc. His response is slower in coming than one might expect from a human. "I do not. Today is not a day for work." He pauses again. Though his outward appearance does not change, Gorbag gets the feeling that Blitz is thinking intensely. "Where are you traveling to?"
    Last edited by King Tius; 2010-09-05 at 01:49 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide

28. - Top - End - #28

MindFlayer

Dorendo stood up, and strode over to the sad dwarf as it muttered silent prayers. "Greetings my humble dwarf," the man said as he approached the dwarf, Varin right on his heels.

His wasn't habitually playing with the sprigs around his wrist, but they were still there--easily seen at such a close distance. His eyes were a soft green with small flecks of gold in them. Considering what he was wearing and the creature at his heels, to a divine caster like Truckley would probably recognize the signs of a druid. Not that Dorendo would admit to it.

29. - Top - End - #29

AssassinGuy

[DM Post- Story Progressing.]
    ((You may post retroactively if you really want, but I want to get the ball rolling here.))

As Gorbag and Blitz converse, a young man in a uniform comes out of a nearby inn, and upon seeing the two walks over to them.
    By the titans, if you two aren't big... I imagine you're both looking for work, standing around like this, so I have some for you. Come with me please.
    He ushers them to the train station, mentioning that his name is Traven and everything will be explained by his boss when he arrives in the Lightning Rail.

The three arrive to find that the train has just pulled up. People coming off the train hurry off in every direction, seeking family, recipients of mail, or the like.
    However, one man stands out. He is a large man, with a straight posture and a commanding demeanor. He wears nice clothes, showing him to either be of well standing or employed and well liked by somebody who is. Upon seeing Traven, he nods to him.
    If you'll excuse me for a moment...
    Traven quickly walks to the man, and they start talking. You can't hear what they say over the noise of the crowd.

((All characters see the two of them, and now may act freely.))
    Last edited by Mabuhay; 2010-09-05 at 09:09 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

Emery strides quickly back from the smithy with all of his gear, glancing curiously about at the townsfolk as he makes his way to the lightening rail station. As he approaches he sees Traven in close conversation with another very official looking man, and decides to wait at a reasonable distance for them to finish their business.

Oh good, he really does have a contact. And a very well-dressed one at that... I wonder if he knows father? Oh, the warforged and that big guy from Guyven's farm are watching them too. I hope this job isn't just manual labor...

But, as he thinks about it, he decides that there is no coincidence to two large men with conspicuous weapons being contacted by some kind of agent...