New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [Any] RPG settings you'd want to live in

There are any number of places that would be supercool to exist in...

if you were a player character.

Note that the OP never makes such a distinction. You could be stuck as a minion, a mook or just a piece of meat waiting to be nommed.

With that in mind, I pick the Star Wars universe.

It wouldn't matter if I was anything important, it's just a setting that has a great deal of richness and depth. I always used to watch the movies (the original set anyway) and wonder about what was going on just off camera.

If I was interested in quality of life, then the obvious answer is the Star Trek universe. I'll just hang out in my holodeck...

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGirl

Me, as I am now?

Well, my skill-set and fairly ruthless personality would work well in most Cyberpunk/Corporate Domination settings. Plus, being generally Genre-Savvy would help me avoid the usual danger situations.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Cat Goddess View Post
    Me, as I am now?

Well, my skill-set and fairly ruthless personality would work well in most Cyberpunk/Corporate Domination settings. Plus, being generally Genre-Savvy would help me avoid the usual danger situations.
    Hey, no fair being awesome. The setting has to work for regular schmoes too.

Star Wars and Star Trek are pretty neat. I wonder if part of that because they were written to be movie or TV settings, as opposed to RPG settings. RPG settings seem to feel that there has to be something interesting/violent happening everywhere, or it's a waste of page space describing it.

4. - Top - End - #34

MonkGirl

Hey, I'm just a Corporate VP/Accountant who happens to be a musician as well... Three skill-sets that give high-levels of return in your typical Cyber-punk setting.

Of course, if we're able to go TV settings... Being the cute, young teacher at the all-girls school of Yuri-ness would be nice too.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

If were going off of my actual skill-set I would have to say, star-wars. being a star-wars nerd I could simply make use of all my knowledge to lead the empire to victory.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

"Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    Well, for someone like an adventurer, who works on the edge, keeping his tools in absolute topmost shape is extremely important. A mansion gives you a place to live - a good sword makes sure you keep on living!

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

I think if I had a choice, I'd pick Scion's main setting as a place to live, since I'm a mythology buff and such a place, where the gods are real and just out of sight would be like freakin' paradise for me.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

8. - Top - End - #38
    Banned

Chimera

Well that's a tough one, Warhammer 40000 looks like an easy going place, but people in Ravenloft have it good as well........

Seriously? Eberron and Sigil.

Eberron, or Khorvaire specifically, has magic tech and in general seems pretty comfortable for the average guy. Not sure I'd want to live in Sarlona that's for sure.

Sigil is just a place of wonder. Everywhere you are something awesome is happening. If New York City is the cultural capital of the world, then Sigil is the Cultural capital of the multiverse. There are some dangers like walking through a door and finding yourself in the Abyss...........

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

Cyberpunk for me.

Walk out, buy a gun from a vending machine, and start shooting your way up the enforcer food chain til you take the notice of a megacorp that'll hire you on and give you the good hardware.

And if you go splat? Just means you don't have to shoot people any more.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I would live in the current Setting of Exalted.
    Sure, living in Creation would be a horrible existence, as a mortal I am almost garunteed a horrific death from the multiple threats that besige creation. However, if I was able to keep my current knowledge of the setting, and all it encompasses, the equivalent to a Lore of 6 or higher, due to the fact that I know about the following: How to impress no less than 7 high ranking gods for boons, how to reach Autochthon, or his eye and where they both are, where the Scarlet Empress is and what the Ebon Dragon is planning for her, and finally, the Existence of the Great Curse, which is known to only 2 gods in all of creation.

If that isn't enough to impress Sol, then I'll just have to join the guild.
    Longtime lurker, Infrequent poster.

Avalanche in Hell of the Improbability Drive Fan Club

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Maid RPG. You live in a cute anime setting surrounded by wacky and/or fanservicey romantic comedy hijinks, and (unless it's a Darker and Edgier alternate setting) you can't even die.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Castle Falkenstein. Aside from the collars (and the corsets for the ladies), it's got all you want. Civilized, safe, and polite, yet magical, wondrous and mysterious. The high point of European culture meets just enough fantasy and steampunk to be fun. I'd go there in a minute if Morrolan came knocking....

13. - Top - End - #43
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'd like to live in the far future as depicted by Sufficiently Advanced.
    Can't decide between Stardweller or Mechanican though... (The logical part of my brain keeps suggesting Replicant, but instinctual part of my brain keeps shouting it down with "NOOOOO! That's suicide!")
    If a tree falls in the forest and the PCs aren't around to hear it... what do I roll to see how loud it is?

Is 3.5 a fried-egg, chili-chutney sandwich?

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm... Too many options, so when in doubt, go to Balmora.

The Elder Scrolls setting, preferably around said town, but I'm rather sure I'd be fine almost anyplace outside of the ruins.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

Eclipse Phase! Presuming I didn't catch plot to the face.
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thane of Fife View Post
    In all honesty, I think that most of Faerun would be a decent place to live. Safety and freedom in most places, lots of useful spells and herbs - sounds pretty alright to me.
    Silverymoon would be a pretty decent place to live for a lowly human commoner - lots of good-aligned high-level people around and being allied with most benevolent nations in the North would ensure safety and comfort.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

I think I can go with World of Darkness.

It's a dangerous and gritty world, and not one I would choose if we were PC status (too easy to die in WoD), but I could see myself becoming an acolyte of one of the mage Traditions. Wouldn't be bad in a small chantry unlikely to be noticed, that is, wiped out by the Technocracy or living on a Horizon Realm.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

I'd say.....

Mushroom Kingdom. Hey, in that universe Mario solves everything before anything really goes bad.

either that or Pokemon, cause nothing dies there, that and you can command dragons to toast anything you want anyone make you angry? Go Charizard! flamebroil that guy!

19. - Top - End - #49

DruidGuy

Again, more love for Sigil. Even if I start off as a level 1 Commoner, odds are I'll either die or gain some power

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    I'd say.....

Mushroom Kingdom. Hey, in that universe Mario solves everything before anything really goes bad.

either that or Pokemon, cause nothing dies there, that and you can command dragons to toast anything you want anyone make you angry? Go Charizard! flamebroil that guy!
    Don't you remember the ghost of marrowak in the original lavender town?
    Spoiler
    Show

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

I would definitely need something that is at least the current level of technology. Take that and move as far forward in technology without it becoming post apocalyptic or constant war. So probably Star Trek.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

WHFRP

Or, if it has to be me, as I exist at present,

Star Trek
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gnaeus View Post
    Amber. Live forever by the sea in the one true world.
    Ooh, yeah, Amber's pretty nice even for mortals, and even better after
    Spoiler
    Show
    Random takes the throne and brings some culture to the place.

I'd have to go with Amber.

The First Age of Creation is a lot like modern western society, but late First Age you still have the now-superinsane Solars running around the place making Creation a nightmare.

Many parts of Creation in the First Age were never very fun, either. There was an entire island on the East which was one huge social experiment, for instance. Mortals didn't have much rights because they could reincarnate.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

Shadowrun, provided I get to be a Shaman
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

Wait wait I think a better question is...

Is there an RPG world I wouldn't want to live in?

Seriously, dragons, zombies, mutants... doesn't anyone besides me think it'd be more fun than snowboarding??

Anyone?
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I wouldn't mind World of Darkness too much - not only is it not that bad, but Geist in particular would be a pretty much ideal combination of 'nice' and 'awesome'.

Aside from that, Elona's setting is pretty awesome if you have the exorcist feat (living without it would be OK - it's far more infuriating for the player than it would be for the character, and NPCs not having it is bad enough either way).
    Last edited by lesser_minion; 2010-05-07 at 08:32 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Another_Poet View Post
    Wait wait I think a better question is...

Is there an RPG world I wouldn't want to live in?

Seriously, dragons, zombies, mutants... doesn't anyone besides me think it'd be more fun than snowboarding??

Anyone?
    It's fun for a strong adventurer. For an average Joe, it's terrifying and painful death. Besides, the standards of life in most fantasy settings are much worse than what we're used to. There's no internet!

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm gonna second Silverymoon on Faerun. Beautiful city, plenty of travel opportunities, and reasonably secure. Good place to learn magecraft as well, and the spellguard is steady work.
    Ding, You've Got Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist but you have ceased to live. - Samuel Clemens

Oh, and DFTBA.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by One Step Two View Post
    I would live in the current Setting of Exalted.
    Sure, living in Creation would be a horrible existence, as a mortal I am almost garunteed a horrific death from the multiple threats that besige creation. However, if I was able to keep my current knowledge of the setting, and all it encompasses, the equivalent to a Lore of 6 or higher, due to the fact that I know about the following: How to impress no less than 7 high ranking gods for boons, how to reach Autochthon, or his eye and where they both are, where the Scarlet Empress is and what the Ebon Dragon is planning for her, and finally, the Existence of the Great Curse, which is known to only 2 gods in all of creation.

If that isn't enough to impress Sol, then I'll just have to join the guild.
    Yeah, I think I'll go with Exalted, keeping myself as I am now.
    If I become an average citizen of the setting... I'll go with Eberron, I think. I may die horribly, but it'll be awesome anyways.
    Some men just want to watch the world shift uncomfortably in its seat.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by absolmorph View Post
    I happen to like screwing around with Handle Animal.
    Red Mage, is that you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Now you're cranking it up to eleven.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    A week ago, I didn't know who you were. Now I know: you're the BEST PERSON EVER.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    You seem to be having trouble with the idea that a rulebook can contradict itself, because it shouldn't, but...WotC.

If you're reading this for some reason, you can find me in a few places on the web as azoicennead.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Star Trek and be a federation citizen

I can recreate any setting on the holodeck