New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Any] RPG settings you'd want to live in

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerask View Post
    Star Trek and be a federation citizen

I can recreate any setting on the holodeck
    It's all fun and games until someone catches a weird disease which causes his DNA to go airborne and devolve everyone into monsters, or until your planet gets sucked into a microdimension run by insterspecies-curious omnipotent beings. Or both.
    Ding, You've Got Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist but you have ceased to live. - Samuel Clemens

Oh, and DFTBA.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

First choice would be the setting of GURPS Transhuman. Proteanic retroviruses and self-cloning and digital selves ftw.

Second choice would be Star Trek's Federation, on one of those planets that never gets attacked in the movies, like Beta-Zed or whatever planet the hawt sex-maniac Deltans come from.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Regarding Star Trek:

When you have a civilisation spanning multiple star systems, you really want to make sure that your engineers have some kind of connection to reality.

Star Trek engineers are surprisingly good at being about the last people you would want designing anything.

As for Deltans... well, that would be nowhere even remotely near to being as fun as you think it would.
    Last edited by lesser_minion; 2010-05-07 at 09:16 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

None. The real world is scary enough.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

My homebrew setting I just thought up where I am an epic wizard!

>_>

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll settle in Great Forks, modern Creation if I need to just be a run of the mill citizen. Probably pursue thaumaturgy, sell some of my spare Temperance to a visiting Fair Folk, that sort of fun stuff.

If I get to retain my current knowledge, however, I'd work like hell to exploit all the knowledge available to me, specifically by feeding it all to House Iselsi. Their exile has given them some solidly pure blood, and if the intel I have isn't enough for them to use and abuse then I don't know what is.

Oh, and I'd also warn Lookshy about the Lover's plan to turn their city into the next Thorns.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    Don't you remember the ghost of marrowak in the original lavender town?
    oh.

.....and there are ghosts in Mario so.....darn.

in that case, I'd happily be an Eberron Wizard.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerask View Post
    I can recreate any setting on the holodeck
    Until it breaks and kills you that is.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    It's fun for a strong adventurer. For an average Joe, it's terrifying and painful death. Besides, the standards of life in most fantasy settings are much worse than what we're used to. There's no internet!
    Its fun for me, Go human throwing rocks, besides all I would need to do is find some shape-sand and I would be set, I would be able to kill everyone Gaara style.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Banned

Chimera

I change my vote to the world of FATAL.

Final vote.

[as long I am a male]

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

I, too, would definitely love to live in Sigil and explore the myriad realities of Planescape; I'll probably use my wiles to make it in the cutthroat planar trade consortiums/markets et al and then buy up any opposition.
    To see the world in a grain of sand
    and Heaven in a wild flower
    To hold infinity in the palm of your hand
    and eternity in an hour.

- William Blake, Auguries of Innocence

12. - Top - End - #72
    Barbarian in the Playground

My first vote is ANYWHERE they have healing spells to cure what ails me.

I'll get over the lack of video games and computers, cause I could spend the rest of my life wandering the world and never run out of wonders to see, and things to experience.

I'm going to have to go with the Forgotten Realms as well though. But at one of the times when their is not a giant war raging through it. I grew up reading about Ten Towns, Waterdeep, the Dales, Cormyer, the Bloodstone Lands. It would be awesome to actually see and hear and smell the world. Plop down a house next to Elminster (before he vanished and they wrecked shadowdale that is)... I could see myself doing that.

Coarse I'm a Martial Artist, so my skills are in demand no matter what world I am on. So again, long as I have a skilled healer on my team, I don't care where I get put.
    Remember no matter where you go. There you are.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wouldn't want to live in Iron Heroes, Commoners get RAEP'D

14. - Top - End - #74
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by steelsmiter View Post
    Wouldn't want to live in Iron Heroes, Commoners get RAEP'D

Commoners in just about all systems get raped; Its their predesignated victim requirement

After all, if the commoner's aren't useless, then what do they need heroes for?

Off of that though, can i say warhammer 40k cultist of slannesh?
    Monk sucks, but you know, it's not actually worth negative LA.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Another_Poet View Post
    Seriously, dragons, zombies, mutants... doesn't anyone besides me think it'd be more fun than snowboarding??

Anyone?
    In a fantasy world, like snowboarding, there are two moves: 'looking cool' and 'DEAD!'.

I'd go for Eberron, could stay an archaeologist, various weird things to be interested in, rampant violent hobos largely occupied elsewhere (or contractable), and all sorts of interesting magical developments.
    My avatar? Why it's the brilliant work of Miss Nobody.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Samb View Post

Final vote.

[as long I am a male]
    Brother Maynard, get us the holy hand grenade!
    Spoiler
    Show
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmmm... I'm going to go for Exalted. First Age, probably.

And hope to get Exalted.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by krossbow View Post
    Off of that though, can i say warhammer 40k cultist of slannesh?
    It's not all golden peaches; but, hey, as long as you're "having fun"
    To see the world in a grain of sand
    and Heaven in a wild flower
    To hold infinity in the palm of your hand
    and eternity in an hour.

- William Blake, Auguries of Innocence

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by krossbow View Post
    Commoners in just about all systems get raped; Its their predesignated victim requirement
    yeah but I mean compared to other systems, Iron Heroes Commoners are worse off than everyone else except in GURPS... where point value and good tactics are the only thing that separates you from the fodder (that and Cannon Fodder, B. 417).

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

My own D&D setting >83
    Need a setting for your game? a character concept? any gaming related ideas? I make far to many to eat up myself, and therefor I am willing to share them. Free ideas! Get yer fluff here! PM me.

The friendly neighborhood gentleman perv is always ready to help!

on M&B:
    Quote Originally Posted by Celesyne
    oh, and looting villages is REALLY good money, if a nearby lord doesn't stop by and give you a daily dose of rape.
    http://baetzler.de/humor/meat_beings.html

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

Awful lot of people posting about how they'd be able to kick ass and kill their way to success in whatever setting, or exploit the fact that they've read the setting book. Without the benefit of a DM arranging encounters, I'm pretty sure you, me and everyone we've ever met would last all of five minutes if we tried some of the stuff in this thread.

I was more interested in RPG settings that manage to supply entertainment for player characters, but are still nice places to live for ordinary people. Yeah, Star Trek qualifies (at least when the Federation arrives on time), but it's not an RPG setting first and foremost.

I'm talking about a setting where people who enjoy reading and peaceful afternoons (which I imagine is a pre-requisite for enjoying role-playing games) could enjoy. Because with a very few exceptions, it seems to me that the worlds we enjoy ourselves in via RPGs would be horrible places to live.

So how many RPG settings are there that can satisfy ordinary people and adrenaline-junkie adventurers like most PCs?
    Last edited by AvatarZero; 2010-05-08 at 12:30 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Awful lot of people posting about how they'd be able to kick ass and kill their way to success in whatever setting, or exploit the fact that they've read the setting book. Without the benefit of a DM arranging encounters, I'm pretty sure you, me and everyone we've ever met would last all of five minutes if we tried some of the stuff in this thread.

I was more interested in RPG settings that manage to supply entertainment for player characters, but are still nice places to live for ordinary people. Yeah, Star Trek qualifies (at least when the Federation arrives on time), but it's not an RPG setting first and foremost.

I'm talking about a setting where people who enjoy reading and peaceful afternoons (which I imagine is a pre-requisite for enjoying role-playing games) could enjoy. Because with a very few exceptions, it seems to me that the worlds we enjoy ourselves in via RPGs would be horrible places to live.

So how many RPG settings are there that can satisfy ordinary people and adrenaline-junkie adventurers like most PCs?

Exalted's First Age and to a lesser extent Second Age. In the First Age everyone's needs are taken care of there is the internet only better all the threats are eliminated by the Exalted and there's a chance if your stupid enough to seek out danger you will become a crazy powerful super weapon. Sure there's the chance one of the Solars will experiment on you or you will die in one of there war games but well the first is less likely then you dying from disease in our world(which has been nearly eradicated in the First Age) since mortals outnumber exalts several thousands-to-one and well there's war in the real world too. The Second Age while immensely dangerous in theory Mortals still outnumber the threats thousands-to-one so unless you have an important destiny as long as you keep your head low and give proper respect to the local deities life will be pretty decent.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

Anything which allows me to work magic and is full of fantasy stuff. 3.5 FR seems like a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    Shadowrun, provided I get to be a Shaman
    Why a shaman when a possession based tradition offers so much more?
    Last edited by Poil; 2010-05-08 at 02:45 PM.
    Awesome avatar by RustMonster

Constipated Lizard Slayer

24. - Top - End - #84

Goblin

Final vote.

[as long I am a male]
    Unleash the randy gay ogres

25. - Top - End - #85

I think I'd pick Traveller. I'm not an expert of the setting but for what I know it is interesting, full of opportunities both for adventures and for a quiet life, there is high technology available, medical and not, and is quite short of eldritch abominations bent on the destruction/enslavement of all humaniti and similiar niceties, like borgs, siths, demons etc.
    I don't make the crazy rules, I just twist them to my purpose

"...the Perilious Path of Crushing Doom"
    " Please, tell me it is actually filled with cute, fuzzy bunnies and they just named it that to be ironic."

Note to Self:
    If you ever happen to doubt the Giant again remember the "Ghost-martyrs of the Sapphire guard

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguine View Post
    Exalted's First Age and to a lesser extent Second Age. In the First Age everyone's needs are taken care of there is the internet only better all the threats are eliminated by the Exalted and there's a chance if your stupid enough to seek out danger you will become a crazy powerful super weapon. Sure there's the chance one of the Solars will experiment on you or you will die in one of there war games but well the first is less likely then you dying from disease in our world(which has been nearly eradicated in the First Age) since mortals outnumber exalts several thousands-to-one and well there's war in the real world too. The Second Age while immensely dangerous in theory Mortals still outnumber the threats thousands-to-one so unless you have an important destiny as long as you keep your head low and give proper respect to the local deities life will be pretty decent.
    I disagree. Mortals in the First Age lived in an anti-utopia: you live in safety, relative luxury and all your needs are taken care of, but you have very little real power and freedom and not much potential to get more of them unless you Exalt. And Exalted are free to do whatever they want to you, because you can reincarnate and are therefore expendable - and some of them are crazy *******s. And the numbers of crazy *******s are only growing with time.

Mortals in Second Age live lives similar to those of normal people in a typical cynical fantasy setting, except that, unlike DND and other similar RPGs where anyone can get stupidly powerful over time, there are many creatures much more powerful than your mortal nature can ever handle. If you're lucky enough, your life is okay. If you're unlucky, your life is hell, especially from a modern perspective.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #87

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian View Post
    I think I'd pick Traveller. I'm not an expert of the setting but for what I know it is interesting, full of opportunities both for adventures and for a quiet life, there is high technology available, medical and not, and is quite short of eldritch abominations bent on the destruction/enslavement of all humaniti and similiar niceties, like borgs, siths, demons etc.

And if you reach old age, your an unstoppable badass.
    Monk sucks, but you know, it's not actually worth negative LA.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Banned

Mortals couldn't reach the very top of whatever they pursued in the first age, Tengu, but in most places they could experience a great deal of freedom to pursue their lives and train their skills. So while no mortal would win the first age equivalent of the Nobel prize, they could still become respected, tenured scientists for example.

And Sanguine, even if the monsters are as rare as you think, they are very capable of causing humans significant harm. Also humans are very capable of it, especially in a setting as poor and riddled by warfare as Creation is. It is not like you can live in peace unless monsters show up.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    Mortals couldn't reach the very top of whatever they pursued in the first age, Tengu, but in most places they could experience a great deal of freedom to pursue their lives and train their skills. So while no mortal would win the first age equivalent of the Nobel prize, they could still become respected, tenured scientists for example.
    Yeah, but you still won't be able to achieve the same as Exalted no matter how hard you try, and the law treats you differently from them. You're a second-rate citizen. Life in the First Age might be good by Second Age standards, or the standards of many other fantasy settings, but it's still worse than life in a modern, developed country.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnaeus View Post
    DO NOT read the very-well-written-but-spoiler-containing RPG until you have read the excellent fantasy series by Roger Zelazny. Certainly in the top 10 fantasy series of all time IMO.
    This. Oh, so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Another_Poet View Post
    Wait wait I think a better question is...

Is there an RPG world I wouldn't want to live in?

Seriously, dragons, zombies, mutants... doesn't anyone besides me think it'd be more fun than snowboarding??

Anyone?
    You know you could join a revolution, get a job with a drug cartel, start freeing slaves, or otherwise put your life in danger right now?