The poster formerly known as Riyoukaze.
    I am agile, like orange.
    onthetown

2. - Top - End - #62
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Highest level chacter you've played

Quote Originally Posted by WorstDMEver View Post
    Also, I notice you're the guy who likes ultra low level play. That's cool, too. If that's where you like to play, that's awesome.
    Of course, it only works if the players want that kind of play too. I've had scores and scores of people tell me I'm a bad DM, despite the fact that they've never actually played in my games.

For every 20 (or 50?) people who've said "I will never find anyone interested in playing that way", I've found one who's said "Cool, that's exactly what I've been looking for." I only game with them.

(If I were to DM for the others... well, that would truly be me punishing them for not playing my way!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordguy View Post
    Casters effectively lost every weakness they had (from AD&D), and everyone else suffered for it. Since this was done as a direct result of player requests ("make magic better!"), I consider it one of the all-time best reasons NOT to listen to player requests.

Most people wouldn't know what makes a good game if it stripped naked, painted itself purple, and jumped up on a table singing "look what a good game I am!".

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Im currently DMing 3 lv 28s. I beleive that is currently our groups Highest.
    It has been, to say the least, an adventure.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

I'm going to GM a Space Opera campaign next. There is no XP, you have to pay tuition and spend your time studying (usually during hyperspace time - where I say "Ok, you jump to warp, and arrive at Procyon IV 3 weeks later - make your learning rolls"), then make a learning roll to see if you gain a skill level. If you fail, you have to take the class over again. Your study time is limited by your ship-board duties, so if you're not a passenger on a liner you can't study more than 3 subjects at a time (this assumes part time learning, which further lengthens the learning time).

Since your stats and skills are reflected in a direct percentile amount applied to your success rates, good stats and a good education are essential for character progression. However, if your base background provides you with a solid skillset you can get by quite well without much in the way of continuing education.
    3.5e D&D / Pathfinder / WoT player and DM. Played AD&D from a pre-print copy of the PHB, DMG and MM that was "Not For Release" obtained by a friend whose father worked for TSR.... Yeah, I'm kinda old.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Barbarian in the Playground

Highest I ever got to from first level was a 20th level grey elven necromancer, Liareth Varniskir. He was very nearly 21st when the campaign ended. He was very good at making enemies, and eventually the fact that he'd ticked off just about everyone in the world caught up with him.

Most levels acquired with one character was probably 47, from Ragnar Fjallsson, a (D20 modern) character who started at 3rd level and ended at 50th. He was one of my first D20 modern characters, and had very poor class choices that eventually resulted in his death.

My highest level character is currently several-way tie for 67th, and that campaign is still going strong (although the end of the plot is in sight, the DM figures we've still got a year or so left on it).

My highest level 1st/2nd edition character was a 10th level thief named Nerone, and in most other systems I've never made it above the single digits.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

5 or 7, can't remember which. I tend to be shoehorned into DMing. Only a little bitter.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Bugbear in the Playground

Level 18, Amiria. I played her now an then over a period of 7 or 8 years. Started in the last millenium under AD&D rules and thus far ended in D&D 3.5.
    The Countess of Mispelling hath returned !__________________________________________________ _________Behold my magnetoresistance !
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingAScarab View Post
    This isn't just any drow. This is a drow who is willing to have a good-aligned flying snake come out of her body so she can then fart rainbows.
    Outer Sphere__________________________________________________ _______________Inkatar !__________________________________________________ _______________Starship

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #68
    Firbolg in the Playground

Highest Level in total - Ecl 18 Winged Elf Ranger 16 (joined the group about lvl 9)

Highest Level from starting at Level 1 - Level 8 Human (mostly..*) Archivist 6/Barbarian 2

*Started as Human, died was reincarnated as a Half Elf, was bitten by a werewolf and then was magically re-Humanized but subject to reverting under rare circumstances.
    Last edited by Leon; 2010-05-15 at 06:16 AM.
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

I once played a Level 18 Rogue/ Avenging Executioner.
    Bienvenue Au Kébec !!!
    Improve Kébec's Industry!
    Improve Kébec's Transport!
    Improve Kébec's Security!

My Trophies!

Spoiler
    Show

Also, if anyone has any sort of problem at all that they feel like talking about, my PM box is open.

10. - Top - End - #70

The max for me was (I believe) level 24 or 25. We started at level 5 and the campaign ran for 2 years during college, in which we played pretty much every friday night for 8-10 hours. Inter-party conflict put an end to that campaign, but it was fun.
    If build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

My Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #71
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WorstDMEver View Post
    I'm going to GM a Space Opera campaign next. There is no XP, you have to pay tuition and spend your time studying (usually during hyperspace time - where I say "Ok, you jump to warp, and arrive at Procyon IV 3 weeks later - make your learning rolls"), then make a learning roll to see if you gain a skill level. If you fail, you have to take the class over again. Your study time is limited by your ship-board duties, so if you're not a passenger on a liner you can't study more than 3 subjects at a time (this assumes part time learning, which further lengthens the learning time).

Since your stats and skills are reflected in a direct percentile amount applied to your success rates, good stats and a good education are essential for character progression. However, if your base background provides you with a solid skillset you can get by quite well without much in the way of continuing education.
    So..EVE online?

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

My current campaign started at level 15, and the PCs just reached level 21.

However, I'm also planning a low-level campaign that could go into epic levels if we don't lose interest.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Barbarian in the Playground

3-12 seems to be the normal span of my campaigns.

And there were a couple 1-shot 20th level characters, but I wouldn't count them.

Once, I played a Bard who was killed by Dire Rats at level 3, killed by skeletons of those same rats at level 5, killed by the Nezumi priest who'd raised those skeletons at level 6, killed by the ghost of that priest at level 9 and killed by the priest's wife at level 10. He spent the whole campaign paying off his diamond dust debt.

Somehow, he ended up being the highest-leveled character I'd ever developed in play, inching his way up to 13th level after two years of the campaign.

14. - Top - End - #74

The highest level I have played from level 1 would be level 5. In that campaign being a low magic/ low wealth Spelljammer setting my character became a homebrew race of failure that are immortal- the prinny. The setting had where the humans had almost wiped themselves out which caused the vast majority of their deities to also "die". As an Einherjar that gave up his divinity to bring the other human gods back to life on a quest given to him by Frigga. That was just his backstory, and I played as an Aasimar that died twice in the first session earning prinnyhood. Playing as a prinny from there on up to where me an Adept and a Were Rat Halfling Adept diplomaced our way through the last human gods comprising of: Wee Jas, Vecna, Pelor, and Nerull along with Yondalla/ Darun Thaun and Death agreed to aid the party take the last remaining humans from everywhere to an isolated area so the humans could start their recovery from near extinction. Doing this ended the campaign with party now as Quasi-diety rank in our own pantheon over the last humans along with a few dwarves, fey, and halflings.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

One to thirteen, so far.A Pathfinder Paladin of Sarenrae. It has been glorious.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2010-05-15 at 01:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

In 3.5 I have played a Kobold Sorcerer from 1st to 30th over the space of about 4 years with regular and steady playing. He might be higher if it weren't for the five wishes he has had to cast over the last year. None of the wishes were for buffs for himself. They were all to get redo's for die rolls that went very bad for the party, i.e. opponent rolled a natural 20 with his vorpral blade against the party meat shield, Paladin rolled a natural 1 on a massive damage save some where around 23rd level or so, etc

In 1st edition we had goofy characters that were around 100th level, but I think the DM let us make wishes for levels and such. Of course, back then the power curve decreased dramatically once you got out of the teens and such.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by olelia View Post
    So..EVE online?
    Yes, but 20 or so years older than EVE Online. Copyright 1980....

And EVE is great, btw. Level 5 Cruisers takes 28 days, man, that is just forever. I just want to be a ship architect, not just a builder. As far as I can tell you can't actually design your own ships, which is too bad. The rules for that are pretty nifty in Space Opera.

I know - there are plenty of people who hate the system. It is needlessly complex in many areas, and somewhat vague in others. But it's not as "hard" as I've heard people say - had no trouble picking it up at 15 years old and getting it running. Additionally, we've made some refinements to smooth things out and over all it works well enough. In my opinion, the system is only as good as the players and even a "bad" system can be tons of fun if you have good players.
    Last edited by WorstDMEver; 2010-05-15 at 02:03 PM.
    3.5e D&D / Pathfinder / WoT player and DM. Played AD&D from a pre-print copy of the PHB, DMG and MM that was "Not For Release" obtained by a friend whose father worked for TSR.... Yeah, I'm kinda old.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

15th level for a one-shot and 10th level in a campaign.
    Currently playing: D&D 3.5, Warhammer, D20 Modern
    Currently running: D&D 3.5, SWSE
    Currently planning: Red Dwarf RPG

I am a Neutral Good Half-Orc Bard and I am also a True Neutral Human Sorcerer (4th Level)

Strength 12, Dexterity 15, Constitution 15, Intelligence 13, Wisdom 11, Charisma 11

I never listen to the Order 66 Podcast

19. - Top - End - #79

Level 30 Warlock Devine Rank 15. It was a long campain and the devine ranks were fought for fiercely. The DM had several adventures which involved the party stealing the god's power to destroy the big bad.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Sun Elf wizard/bladesinger with caster levels/epic bladesinger w/caster levels//gestalt bard 1/ fighter lots /alternating bladesinger without caster levels/epic bladesinger without caster levels total 36, full wizard casting.

One of five players in a game where I and another player traded off DMing untill near-epic, where I took over on a permanent basis. We played about once a week for well over a year, started single classed at level 4 and switched over to Gestalt in the vicinity of level 12 when Unearthed Arcana came out.

The players managed to briefly gain divine rank 1 each by defeating an avatar of Auril (opening round mass Divine Blast followed by quickened Iceberg, which had everyone swearing at me), and then had to figure out how to lose it without being devoured by the vast number of opportunistic evil or neutral deities that started crawling out of the woodwork, since they didn't have a stable pool of believers.
    Last edited by Icewraith; 2010-05-15 at 08:55 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PId6 View Post
    Level 92 paladin. The first ~85ish levels were easily gotten from cow and Baal runs, but it got really tedious leveling up past that point. Eventually I just stopped bothering and decided to run Mephisto for lewt instead.
    I got a Sorc to 36, does that count?

As for D&D... I had a level 26 Cleric in Neverwinter Nights.

In an actual D&D game, I think I played a level 13 gnome dragonfire adept for like three sessions.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

9th level Cleric of St. Cuthbert, starting from level one of course. Though my level 8 Cleric of Apollo might overtake him pretty soon.
    Last edited by Cisturn; 2010-05-15 at 09:34 PM.
    awesome blues brothers avatar by strategos