New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

Default Walking and running right?

It came to my attention a while ago that when I walk, I don't really do it right. I usually walk with my feet pointed slightly outward, and what's supposedly bad. I don't notice at all, but that's just how it is.

Didn't really notice until the other day, when I ran on a treadmill for about 25 minutes. After that I felt a sharp pain on my feet every time I took a step for a while.

Anyone else go through that? When you walk, do you do so with correct feet position and posture?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Walking and running right?

I always, always, always walk on the balls/toes of my feet when walking for stairs.

I cannot stop it. I don't really mind, it's just...weird.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

Oh, I do that on stairs, too. I didn't think that particular thing was weird, though.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

How did you just notice this? Had you never run 25 minutes before? Because if so, that's probably the cause of the pain.

Anyway, it happens. Usually it's not a big deal. If it's really an issue, you can try to gets some treatment...but if you only just noticed it, I doubt that's the case. Plus, I'm not sure how much can really be done.

If it's only a problem when running, go to a store that specifically sells running shoes. The people who work with will watch your stride and recommend shoes specifically for you.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

@OP, it sounds like you overpronate, just like a whole heck of a lot of other people. You can probably get inserts to correct it if you want to, but the best think for your feet is to walk barefoot as much as possible. Many foot issues arise because your shoes support the arches in your feet that really don't need supporting (I mean an arch is a pretty efficient structure when built and doesn't need any extra support, your feet are the same way).
    Grinning Purple Gelatinous Cube avatar courtesy of Lord_Herman
    Attacking Cube courtesy of Sampi
    Current avatar courtesy of Rutskarn

My GiTP stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    DM
    Currently none

Player
    currently none

Creations:
    Fimbulwight

I have my own RB thread right here.

Come and join in the newly minted Fictional Character Contest

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

I think Haruki meant duck-walking (or whatever the opposite of pigeon-toed is called), not pronation, when he said "walk with my feet pointed slightly outward." But I could be wrong.

If it is just pronation, that's not much of a problem at all. And my suggestion about going to a running store and having someone take a look at his stride is even more applicable and likely to fix the problem.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

My advice is to get off the treadmill and do it outdoors. Treadmills are evil things. I also suspect the pain you feel is less about your pigeon-toedness than it is about the repetitive impact factor of taking your feet and repeated slamming them into a hard surface with most or all of your body weight behind it (that's pretty much what running is). I mean really, would you expect to kick a tree trunk for 25 minutes without your foot hurting? Same principle, different surface, same effect.

I think I probably walk more or less the same way, toes out. There's a BIG difference between walking and running on a treadmill though. Personally I avoid treadmills and even paved surfaces as much as possible, meaning yes I will walk on the grass or dirt if it's there. Simply because I've NEVER twisted my ankle while on a natural surface, but happens all too frequently when I'm confronted with paved surfaces.
    I used to live in a world of terrible beauty, and then the beauty left.
    Dioxazine purple.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Do you do this off the treadmill? If so, you might be slightly splay footed (or as Sneak was thinking, duck footed). This generally doesn't cause problems, but I suppose it can if it's more severe. If you're looking to get rid of it, generally the fix is to use a resistance band on a foot and turn it inwards - do it 10-15 times and then switch feet. Alternatively, you can just consciously walk with your feet straight, and you'll eventually be trained to walk that way.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

I do it too. We're just duck-footed.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

If you only point your feet out a little, that's pretty normal. If you're going to get into running, you'll probably want to concentrate on running with your feet more straight. A fairly easy fix- take ballroom dance lessons, and focus specifically on the ballroom dances like waltz, foxtrot, tango, and quickstep. The technique for all of those dances focuses your attention on keeping your feet in line. (Latin dances like rhumba, cha cha, salsa, etc. actually reinforce having your feet pointed out.) I used to have really severe turn out, but a lot of that has gone away because of my dancing. I also run, and I don't have any issues due to turn out.

And no, "I have two left feet" isn't an excuse. I'm not really a coordinated person, and I have really bad "white man dancing syndrome" when I free-style, but I've learned to do ballroom and latin dance really well. It just takes some patience and the commitment to have fun no matter what you look like. You'll get better with practice (and without having to get a flesh wound).
    I drive a quantum car- every time I look down at the speedometer, I get lost.

As a juggler, I may not always be smarter than a banana. However, bananas aren't often surrounded by children asking for hugs and autographs.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ahhh, Duck-footedness...
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

12. - Top - End - #12

Im flat footed and my hips turn out and my feet always point out. My osteoperosis makes this effect worse.

Perhaps you are flat footed.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Too bad about your AC.
    I don't think I really notice how I walk, but my posture is terrible, I assume.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderMew View Post
    Im flat footed and my hips turn out and my feet always point out. My osteoperosis makes this effect worse.

Perhaps you are flat footed.
    I'm flat footed as well, but I don't do that. I'm also a bit bow legged though. With very wide feet. The combination of these things makes shoes that fit nearly impossible to find, and makes my shins hurt when I fast-walk.
    Avatar by me. It's Incendius Darkscale, a Good Dragonborn Dragon Sorcerer, Demonskin Adept, Prince of Hell, worshiper of the Platinum Dragon (Bahamut), specializing in Fire and Lightning, wielding a staff in each hand.

15. - Top - End - #15

I was raised bare-foot. My feet are just fine, though I have a narrow stride and tend to do the whole one foot in front of the other thing and drag my feet. It's not a problem but it makes a fun sound when my ankles click together at every step.

I think you're over thinking it, but running barefoot more often (preferably not on asphalt or anything hot) and things like that.
    I take this game with the seriousness it deserves.
    Not all that much. It's a game.

Xykon In The Playground nominee, way back when that happened.

Rebel Leader

Breakfast-atar by The Neoclassic whom I appreciate very much!

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Thajocoth View Post
    I'm flat footed as well, but I don't do that. I'm also a bit bow legged though. With very wide feet. The combination of these things makes shoes that fit nearly impossible to find, and makes my shins hurt when I fast-walk.
    Ive got big and wide feet also. I have to special order shoes now if i want a decent fit. At places like payless i have to get size 15, but at the rare store that has shoes of varing widths, i wear a 14 EEE or something like that. I have boats for feet.

17. - Top - End - #17

I'm semi-reliably informed that I 'run funny'. I have not been able to ascertain any further details as to the hilarious nature of my running.
    “I promise, we will find all your moms. And I'm gonna tell!.”- Wonder Woman

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpina View Post
    I'm semi-reliably informed that I 'run funny'. I have not been able to ascertain any further details as to the hilarious nature of my running.
    funny HA HA
    or Funny strange?

or both.
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

19. - Top - End - #19

Opinion is divided on the matter, but I think it's generally odd funny verging into ha ha funny on occasion.
    “I promise, we will find all your moms. And I'm gonna tell!.”- Wonder Woman

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I think you're over thinking it, but running barefoot more often (preferably not on asphalt or anything hot) and things like that.
    A study came out earlier this year showing that running shoes cause runners to impact on their heal much harder than when running barefoot.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...rticle1447500/

I am not one for running barefoot though, but I was interested to find that there are "barefoot" shoes which supposedly add protection for your feet, but keep the benefit of running without shoes.

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by monomer View Post
    I am not one for running barefoot though, but I was interested to find that there are "barefoot" shoes which supposedly add protection for your feet, but keep the benefit of running without shoes.

The problem with fivefingers (besides looking ridiculous) is that if your toes aren't "normal", you can't wear them. My pinky toes are a little bent, and thus I wouldn't be able to fit - the guy who I was talking to while wearing them has one toe that's a little too long, again, a no-go. Nike, New Balance, and a few other companies have made more traditional looking shoes that don't have this problem. I'll probably be picking up a pair whenever I need new running shoes.

Linky

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas-Dakota View Post
    I always, always, always walk on the balls/toes of my feet when walking for stairs.

I cannot stop it. I don't really mind, it's just...weird.
    I do the same, but because I like to think I'm a velociraptor
    I WAS THERE
    Life is like a dungeon master, if it smiles at you, you just know that something terrible is about to happen

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins View Post
    Sane.... isn't the word I'd use with you, Coplantor. Or myself, in fact. With myself, I'd say obssessive. With you, I'd say.... Coplantor.

Now I haz deviant!
    The DnD Logic
    Now I haz Blog!

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by monomer View Post
    A study came out earlier this year showing that running shoes cause runners to impact on their heal much harder than when running barefoot.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...rticle1447500/

Yeah, that's what I meant despite my lack of clarity.

And my brother has those shoes! They are awesome. Apparently they're awesome for all adventuring. You can rock climb, run, jump, etc. I'd get them if they weren't so expensive.

Rebel Leader

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Heh, my feet seem to invoke the opposite position; they point inwards whenever I walk.
    Useless fact: the position your feet take in ambulation can be hereditary; my dad walks with similar feet positioning, I'm pretty sure my children will too, unless they follow their mum in that regard.
    Last edited by Amiel; 2010-07-09 at 02:52 AM.
    To see the world in a grain of sand
    and Heaven in a wild flower
    To hold infinity in the palm of your hand
    and eternity in an hour.

- William Blake, Auguries of Innocence

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrion View Post
    A fairly easy fix- take ballroom dance lessons, and focus specifically on the ballroom dances like waltz, foxtrot, tango, and quickstep. The technique for all of those dances focuses your attention on keeping your feet in line. .
    I was about to say that...

It definitely does work. My partner had really turned out feet, however our coaches niggled him about it so much that he eventually learnt to turn them in. Now, his turn out is significantly less.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

whatever you do do not run on concrete without shoes its okay, until you curl your toes at the wrong time or turn wrong; at that point ouchness occurs.
    current excuse for incoherence: heat

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by 742 View Post
    whatever you do do not run on concrete without shoes its okay, until you curl your toes at the wrong time or turn wrong; at that point ouchness occurs.
    Also don't try swimming with concrete shoes. It's REALLY HARD.

Rebel Leader

28. - Top - End - #28

Since when is this bad for your feet? I walk like that my whole life and haven't had a problem yet. To be honest it gives me hindrance if I try to start walking with my feet facing forward.
    (Christmas) Lillith Avatar by Serpetine
    Psylock Lillith Avatar by Bradakhan
    Ceras Lillith Avatar by Araveugnitsuga

29. - Top - End - #29

I used to run laps in our unfinished basement, completely unaware that running on concrete in barefeet for extended periods of time every night is kind of a bad thing. The doc told me that it's the underlying reason for my flat arches and back pain. Gotta love it when something you do as a kid comes back to bite you.

To clarify, this is more than just a few laps around. I did this for about 3 hours a night for 5 years. I just had a lot of energy to burn off.
    The poster formerly known as Riyoukaze.
    I am agile, like orange.
    onthetown

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 742 View Post
    Also, don't walk on sidewalks and streets barefoot when it is about 90 F (30 C) for more than about 1.5 miles (2.3 km) at a time. Particularly if it is 6 miles (10 km) or so, you will be walking the last two (3) on blisters.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.