New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 51 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Halfling in the Playground
    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

Nolan

Nolan did his best to make it look like he was listening with interest. But he knew that wouldn't be enough for his sister. Nyssa's prodding wouldn't stop if he didn't make some larger effort to engage Delphinia in "meaningful" exchange.

"Would it kill you to talk to other people? Mortally wound you to show some interest in their lives?"

"But I'm not interested in their lives."

"Fine. Then don't ask me why people talk to you through me."

"I didn't. I actually prefer it that way..."

"Impossible. Simply impossible."

Nolan lets out a sigh and asks politely, "So, just how old are you?"

2. - Top - End - #482
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Lumpy considers this for a moment,

"Ya know, I can't recall ever getting it said in so many words. Some business of other they were put up ta as a ruse. As I understand it, they've been getting duped pretty thouroughly in this whole mess. almost makes me-" He cuts off as he catches sight of Katrin slipping out, "'Scuse me, darlin'."

Slamming his mug onto the table he rises hurridly, bolting for the door after her. He hoped to catch up quickly- he wasn't dressed for the weather anymore, and most of his heavy clothes were in his room. Pushing his way through the portal, he casts a glance about the road, a call on his lips,

"Just hold on now!"

3. - Top - End - #483
    Ogre in the Playground

Delphinia

That caught her attention. She started to scowl for just a moment. Oh, stop being such a grump. He's trying to be friendly. Just no talent for it. She stops and tries again to crack a smirk, getting a little closer this time. At least, it looks a little more like a tired person finding a little humor than a scowl. "I guess that's why she," a vague gesture at Nyssa, "does all the talking. You got no tact whatsoever, do you, kid?" A smile gets a little closer to fruition. "I've been in the world a little over 50 years. Halfway across, as some of the folk like to say."

4. - Top - End - #484
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kiah

"Well, tack is definitely not his strong point. She's gonna hate me for this. Let's go face the music."

Kiah pushes back her chair and quickly follows Lumpy outside.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yix

Yix eventually gets tired from his dancing and goes and slumps down by Achkby. "How is that stuff?" Yix questions as Achkby gets another drink.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardkin Druid

The reptilian blinks at Thokk's question.

"No", he replies, rather abruptly.

He digs into the recent arrow wound almost as if the pain of that wound would dim the dull ache of loss he felt.

"The spirits of my people watch over us. The sleep-visions have never been ill for me"

Semuanya...Is it as I feared?.. am I lost? not one of the people no more?

"The eye of my mind has been blind after Tef-lam. After we were given that thing and told to take it north."

His claws cut grooves into the table as his frustration manifests.

He drains the last of his cider and slams his mug down.

It must be these warmblood ...feelings.. that are poisoning me

"I am not well.", he announces suddenly.
    He gets up, an arm on both Trinark and Thokk.

His manner while abrupt, antisocial and aloof is generally not offensive to the people who really know him. But it is very clear that there's something in his mind.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

7. - Top - End - #487
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Ach Scaley, sit back down and have another round. This is probally going to be one of the last times we can sit and relax, its the best thing that clears my mind so I dont have a Dream of Mirrors. Tis a rathers personal thing, I have had them since I became a Slayer

*Thokk drains his mug yet again, refills, and offers to refiill Ss*

"Its kinda a sign for us. When you get the dream, you know its time to become a Slayer. I had mine that night...

It doesnt always bode evil, mind you. Just reminds yerself you are still on tha path, that something still needs to be done. Each one is different, each time something in you arises and is reflected. I take it as word for Moradin himself, somethin' that needs perfection or reflection upon

8. - Top - End - #488
    Bugbear in the Playground

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

"Good," says Achkby, smiling at Yix. "Here, have a try. Wet your throat after that nifty dancing."

[hr]
    Achkby looks up as Lumpy flies out of the room. He then looks briefly at Aeroz.
    "Well, at least someone's doing something," he tells his mug loudly.

He looks up again as Kiah exits.
    She is ridiculous!
    "What does she think she's doing?" he remarks quietly.

Achkby pointedly ignores the Druid's overdramatic declarations. He listens carefully to Thokk, however.
    Maybe I was a bit harsh to Aeroz. He's a good guy. Problem is, he doesn't know how good. Dammit, we need someone in charge.
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

9. - Top - End - #489
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yix

Yix takes Achkby's drink and sips it a few times. Finding it to his pallete he ends up drinking most of the beverage before realizing he had done so. "Oops..." is all Yix says before hurrying over to the bar, which is quite a feat for such a tiny dragon.
    Upon reaching he looks at the bartender and asks for two of whatever Achkby was drinking. Afer paying for and receiving the drinks he finds that he has a problem with bringing them both back.

10. - Top - End - #490

GreataxeFighterGirl

Nyssa

Nyssa smiles at Delphinia's response to Nolan, but doesn't intercede. Maybe he'll get better at talking if I don't try and help him every time he says something wrong.

Instead, she finishes her second mug of cider and heads to the bar to buy a replacement. Smiling tipsily at Yix, she takes his two mugs and carries them back to the table where he was sitting with Achkby. She sets them down and looks at the psuedodragon. "I hope you will no longer consider consuming my owl at Nolan's behest now that I have done you this small favor." She smiles, and starts to head back to the bar.

11. - Top - End - #491

The druid busies himself working with a sprig of wood and some leather twine he has produced from one of his many pouches. After a short period of time he shows Thokk what he has created - the wood has been bent into a perfect circle, and the leather cord has been intricately woven into a symmetric web holding the circle together. A small open circle has been left in the center of the web. A pair of feathers has been tied to the bottom of the circle, and a leather loop has been tied to the top.

For the more devout members of the party, the barkeep mentions that there are many makeshift shrines throughout the town, catering to the itinerant caravan members. The only "permanent" temple is a small one dedicated to Shaundakul.

[hr]
    With the party sleep-deprived and now suddenly warm and cozy with bellies full of the steaming, cinnamony, mildly alcoholic cider, eyelids begin to droop involuntarily, and one or two of catch yourselves almost nodding off at the tables.

Kiah and Lumpy see Katrin slip outside followed closely by Si'rene. Both shake off their sleepiness and plunge outside into the rising snow storm.

Katrin and Si'rene are not immediately visible, but she has left a clear track in the newfallen snow. Si'rene's tracks are also visible, and the elf is clearly pursuing the shadowdancer.

Kiah and Lumpy quicken their pace and soon hear voices up ahead. Si'rene has caught up to Katrin, and the two women are arguing. The two women aren't visible yet, but the wind carries their words back to Lumpy and Kiah.

Katrin wants to get as far away from the town as possible, in case she "changes". Even though the moon is not visible, she is worried about its effects. Si'rene doesn't want her companion to run off by herself.

Kiah and Lumpy hear one last exclamation of outrage from Katrin, then there is a soft thump. When Lumpy and Kiah arrive at the scene, Katrin is lying unconscious on the ground. Si'rene lowers her bow and shrugs.

"We should be able to get her back to the Dancing Dragon in time to restrain her, before she ..." Si'rene doesn't complete her sentence.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Lumpy shrugs wordlessly at the scene they break into. He'd figured on being forced to do the same, so this wasn't much of an unexpected complication. Unbidden, he stoops to lift the unconscious woman, carrying her reclined in both arms.

"Boy, she'll be right pissed when she comes to. We best hurry."

13. - Top - End - #493

Tiriel

Tiriel pauses as she watches Katrine bundle up in her furs. She exchanges a look with Si'rene, who nods. Tiriel sighs loudly and says"I can wait till morning, but not much after that." before walking away, willing to trust in Si'rene's judgement.

She starts walking towars the stairs when she suddenly decides to take a detour. She walks over to the table that the lizardman is sharing with Thokk, Achkby, Aeroz and Yix.*
    "Err, sorry to inturupt but I meant to give this to you before now. Tiriel takes out one of the small pouches she's been carrying and hands it to the Lizardman. The pouch contains his share of the bounty from the hydras.
    If the lizardman seems confussed or tries to refuse the money Tiriel will explain, "There is nothing dishonorable in taking this, it is a way for men to express their graditude and a way for them to make sure that we will have enough food on our journey thru the north where hunting may not always yield results." She pats him gently on the shoulder, "She didn't mean to hurt you, but I don't think she had any other way to stop you. She's sorry.
    well that may not be true... it's hard to tell what Si'ren's thinking sometimes.
    Tiriel smiles at the group, and resumes her way up the strairs.
    and what would you do anyhow? tackle and then tie her up until she talked to you?... well that may not be such a bad idea, but...well. Si'rene will take care of it tonight.

*[ooc]There Frojoe, Aeroz is no longer left out. I knew I'd missed someone, sorry bro : \
    ***Oh, and if anyone else needs their money from the hydra slaying, please remind me, it was o-so-many pages ago***[/ooc]
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

14. - Top - End - #494

Fizahn:

Fizahn watches as Katrin simply ignores him and rushes out. "I see she's not taking it that well," he mutters as she leaves. He jumps out of the way as Si'rene nearly tramples him in her haste after Katrin."Fine, ignore me! But just for the record, I thought it was a good plan." He turns towards Tiriel as he begins talking again. "Well, at least you...
    Ignored me also..."
    Feeling thoroughly disrespected, Fizahn heads up to bed.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

15. - Top - End - #495

Nolan

Dammit Nyssa, no!

Nolan watches Nyssa's retreating figure head to the bar and assist the little dragon. He turns back to Delphinia and smiles awkwardly. "Fifty you say? I ... er, that's not as old as I thought you were going to sa–" he catches himself and stops abruptly.

Gods that's not coming out properly at all.

"I mean... you made it sound like you were old old. Fifty isn't so old." Whew, there... "Not for one of the wee folk, right?"

Nolan smiles proudly, thoroughly convinced he's pulled through without sticking his foot in his mouth.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kiah

Kiah nods to Si'rene "Thank heavens."

On the way back to the inn Kiah is already very cold and shivering. The long hours and cold are taking it's toll. She pushes it off and hurries on.

"Do you have ideas on how to restrain her? If she is as strong as that werewolf we faced rope won't do it. And her shape is going to change..."

maybe we can borrow manacles from the locals. shudder. i hate that idea but what else is there?

"I was thinking that the druid might be able to talk to her in animal form. I've heard that cat forms are more.... reasonable? ... you don't bother them and they don't bother you...something like that."

unless they are hungry, or mad. i wonder if a lot a raw meat will help?

Kiah looks a Si'rene "Sorry, I know she is your friend and all this seems very callous. I've been wrapped up all day in how to keep her safe and haven't found any great ideas yet."

17. - Top - End - #497
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yix

Yix slowly makes his wake back up to the table with Achkby and thenew drinks. "Sorry for drinking your other one.......You can haff thihhh...." is all Yix manages to get out before slumping over on the table, snoring merrily away.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Ogre in the Playground

Delphinia

Now her smile is becoming more genuine. "Fifty-three is the right number. I guess it's not so old. Old enough to feel it, but still young enough to traipse around looking for trouble." Between the drink, the cold, the strain, and the everything else today, she's nodding off now; falling asleep sitting up.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

Callos DeTerran

It had been awhile since he ha come upstairs to wait for Tiriel and something had begun to worry at the back of his mind. Something about the circu,stances for how he had gotten into the middle of the woods away from the group. ust how had he gotten there? None of them had really explained it but the necromancer distinctly remembered Lissa saying something about sleep walking.

Was that really it? Walking around in his sleep? If it was then he would have to be more careful when he did sleep. Maybe try and sleep less often if it was possible to cut down one the chances he goes walking off again. How hard could it be after all?
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

20. - Top - End - #500

GreataxeFighterGirl

Nyssa

Nyssa smiles at the psuedodragon's drunkenness, and heads back to the bar. Purchasing three more ciders, she returns to where Nolan and Delphinia are sitting.

Noting Delphinia is nodding off, she smiles, "Nolan, I thought it was my responsibility to bore others to sleep with my prattling." She fishes through her robes for their room key. "My offer stands, Delphinia, if you wish to stay in our room. I'm sure my brother would love if I went to bed soon, however I will be up for a while longer, I think." She holds the key out, but isn't offended if it isn't taken.

Sitting down against the wall, she begins to sip her cider, content. Being around people, even if none of them wished to speak to her, still filled her with energy and happiness.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Ogre in the Playground

Delphinia

Blinking her eyes back open in that way people do when they don't realize they were falling asleep, Delphinia reaches out and takes the key. She shakes her head to loosen the cobwebs inside for a minute. "Thanks. Yeah, I will." Moving slowly but deliberately, she makes her way with perhaps excessive care to the offered room, then lies herself out on the floor. She is asleep in only a minute or so.

22. - Top - End - #502

Nolan

"Yes, you bore people to sleep with prattle. I soothe them with monkish wisdsom. There's a fine line," Nolan says dryly. He nods to Delphinia as she makes her way to the room and then returns to his previous attempts at meditation before retiring to their room.

23. - Top - End - #503

Earlier

The reptilian had been poised to move towardes Tiriel but seeing her face pursed up with frustration as she chased off after Katrin made him consider that may be this wasn't the time.

He sits back down to an encouragin smile from Trinark and takes his ug from the dwarf.

"Is that.. is that why you've come back?"
    Quote Originally Posted by sacreddeamon
    Thokk

*Thokk drains his mug yet again, refills, and offers to refiill Ss*

"Its kinda a sign for us. When you get the dream, you know its time to become a Slayer. I had mine that night...

It doesnt always bode evil, mind you. Just reminds yerself you are still on tha path, that something still needs to be done. Each one is different, each time something in you arises and is reflected. I take it as word for Moradin himself, somethin' that needs perfection or reflection upon
    "Because something still needs to be done?"

"sSethra"

The name isn't hissed with disdain like it usually is by the hulking druid. Instead it is a sibilant whisper ending with a deep sigh.

It was an acknowledgment of a shared pain. Of A duty, a responsibility to those who sat sipping around that table. It carried overtones of fallen companions and a long road behind them and a longer road ahead.

His hands busy themselves as his great claws, seen by the others rending the fleash off their opponents, engages now in fine craft.

He occasionally lays t down and looks appraisingly at it. Allowing Trinark to examine it before he finishes and hands it to Thokk.

[hr]
    When Tiriel comes in, he sees the exhaustion on her face. both mental and physcal.

He half arises,
    "What can I do?"
    he asks.

He looks questioningly at the bag that she drops. The temple rangers in Teflamn had explained the concept of money to him. A strange pinkskin custom. But understandable for a race that didn't live of the wild. He also agreed that the yield would be poor this far north.

He isn't sure exactly why tiriel is giving him some money but obeys her request.

"Perhapss human.. magic can be .. of ssome use?"

He looks questioningly to Achkby or Elthan if they are around, tilting his head slightly.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

24. - Top - End - #504
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hajih

Hajih lies, passed out in a pool of cider. His hat rises in time to his snores. The wolf has curled up near Hajih's feet.
    Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'

25. - Top - End - #505
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trinark

Trinark had been quiet for quite a long time now, even through the "ordeal" with the wolves. He watched the group, constantly observing the many personalities and motives. Some of them concerned him, others were merely amusing.

Trinark wasn't rude during their journey after the wolves, he replied when spoken to. Otherwise he kept to his role as observer, he considered himself a silent sentinel.

During their time in the tavern, he did sit with his druid friend but just politely smiled when he tried to engage him in conversation. Trinark steered clear of the fragrant cider the others were drinking, some of them in rather large quantities.

Some souls in this motley band are dangerous, I am sure of it.

26. - Top - End - #506

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

Achkby has been silently watching Yix since his little friend dosed off, the traces of a contented smile setting pleasantly on his thin lips.
    I remember how I... I wonder how I old he is?

Achkby is pulled from his thoughts by the Druid's question, and looks up sharply at the lizardman.
    "For what?" spits Achkby in Common, for once.
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

27. - Top - End - #507

Elthan

Morning

After the encounter with the wolves.. Worgs.. Werewolves.. Whatever they were, Elthans head was spinning. At the conclusion of any event with the people around him, he always found himself a bit dazed. It was just one of the things he'd gotten used to. So, after the usual confusion, Elthan spends his ride trying to piece everything back together.

Let's see, the leader of some local werewolves came for revenge against Callos, who is a shadow-weave wielding necromancer rakasha, after he almost killed one of them with a lightning bolt, and another by hand.

That doesn't make sence, they refered to them
    differently.

Hmm, Kiah, Tireal and Katrin seem to be orginizing themselves lately.. Perhaps all three of them transform into shadow cats, and they've orginzied a sub-group to keep it secret? Still doesn't make too much sence, but It's likely someones lycanthropic.

So, whould they be? Were-shadowcat isn't very informative. What kinda cats are black? As humourus as Were-Housecat is, thats unlikely. Nay, improbable. So, large, black cats... Panthers? No, those are only found in Chult and the like, besides, who's ever heard of a were-panther? Mybye they confused it with a bear?

Ehh, I'll have this figured out by the time we set camp.

The Dancing Dragon

Elthan sips some cider as he continues musing alternate, outrageous possiblities. Lissa is a sucubus, Callos is really the lich he claims to have been maipulated by as a drider, and Lumpy is secretly a Zhent.
    Bah, there are enough drunken theorist in existance,
    He looks around and spots Hajih and the dragon sleeping, and enough of us just drunk silly.

Elthan walks over to Trinarks table. "Trinark, would you care to help me drag some of our more.. drunk members to thier rooms? Wouldn't do well to leave them out on the tables overnight." He causually points to the sleeping pair and gives a slight grin.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

28. - Top - End - #508

Some of you remain engrossed in conversation while others have drifted off to sleep by the time the Kiah and Si'rene return with Katrin unconscious in Lumpy's arms.

The barkeep whistles softly to himself as he polishes some already spotless glasses and pointedly keeps his eyes averted. None of my business. I see nothing. What foreigners?

Lumpy hustles upstairs, and soon Kiah, Si'rene, Lumpy and anyone else who decided to follow along are standing around a bed while Katrin snores softly on the covers, still clad in her winter gear.

"She will wake in a few minutes," Si'rene states. "She will not be happy. Any suggestions on how to best proceed?"

29. - Top - End - #509
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Lumpy scratches his shaved scalp as he thinks, fingers tracing along old scars,

"I don't generally get much farther than the unconscious part'a this kind'a diplomacy." He shrugs, "Tying her up might make fer a good start, s'far as OUR well-being's concerned, but it ain't gonna do much fer hers, nor her mood when she comes around."

He lowers his hands to his waist, drumming the fingers of one against the other's clenched fist,

"Well, it's evident that her solution ta this is ta run away from it fer the time being. If the problem needs solving, facing it head-on is the other alternative. Lacking more knowledge on just what's wrong with her.. well, we could give her a good stern talking ta... I know how ta do that."

He glances at the others, fishing for ideas, but comes up short with a shrug.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kiah

"Well, I'd bet my last copper that it's lycanthropy. I don't know as much about it as I would like to. But you do hear about it in the woods 'round here. I've heard the cat forms are a pretty benign temperament - it's the rat and wolf forms you have to look out for. She'll change when the moon rises. The rhymes of lore say the 3 days of the full moon and this is the 3rd day."

Kiah looks troubled.

"She knows about it or she wouldn't have tried to get out'a town." Kiah looks a Si'rene, "I didn't think she knew when I threw a fit back at the campsite."

"Maybe that would have been the best thing for her but I don't think so. I can't see her living out the night in this storm, once she changes back - especially if she is lost."

Kiah turns to Si'rene "Did she say anything that might help?"

"I've been thinking about the strength of that werewolf we faced. It was terrible! But I don't think all lycanthropes are not like that or it would have been in all the stories. So I would say ropes. But we have to make them so that they can be adjusted quickly, and tightened firmly. Her body shape will change."

Kiah stops and thinks... "OK, I don't like this but..... If I was going to tie a cat of unknown size I would say two bands, one under the armpits and one at the hips, and on her back in the bed. She won't be able to slip out the way a cat's legs bend, and she won't be able to bite the rope. We also need to stop her from turning somehow, and getting here paws under her."

Kiah glances and both of them.

"Who is good with ropes? I'll go get them." She starts to leave the room.

i wonder if the druid can talk to her in animal form?

can anyone of the wizards or sorcerers drain strength - in case i am wrong about her strength? ah! Achkby did that."

Kiah puts her head back in. "I'm going to bring Achkby and the druid also OK?"

If no one says anything further Kiah will go find the person they recommend is good with ropes. She will also try to find Achkby and bring them both up. She hesitates before talking to the druid, worried about how he will take the situation and the time taken to explain it. If she sees Delphinia or Lissa she will go over and ask them if they are good with animals.

Anyone paying attention (all that cider!) would notice she is nervous and in a hurry.