New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 51 FirstFirst ... 19343536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1515
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

Aeroz

Seeing Lissa has been tended to, Aeroz goes back and grabs his bow and a quiver of arrows. It seemed to be a completely hopeless battle, around a dozen men squaring off against what one would assume to be a horde of enemies hells bent on their destruction.

Hello? Corellon? It's me...Aeroz. I haven't been a good follower of any faith...hells, I'd be surprised if I actually did have some left. Still, if anything can turn the tide of a hopeless battle, divine intervention would do it...hehehe...

Aeroz stops for a second and mentally slaps himself for disrespecting his god.

Crap, I've never been good at praying, but perhaps you could lend us your favour? We are trying to do something very important, and there is a lot hanging in the balance here. So please, help us during this battle. I can't offer you much, but maybe some prayer and a change of attitude would work? I don't know, and I don't even know if you are even listening to this pathetic excuse for a cry for help...

Well, I screwed that up.

Aeroz proceeds to the nearest window and peers out, arrow nocked.

[OOC: Spot - 7+8=15]
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

Unfortunately, Lumpy's theory as to who put the rune on Lissa's neck makes all too much sense. Her lips tighten as she loads a bolt into her crossbow with somewhat more force than necessary. "Makes sense. Escape... too easy." I didn't even think about that at the time, I was just so glad to be out of there and so guilty about having to leave Hajih behind. But if the vampires really wanted to get me back, they could have. They move a lot faster than a gnome on foot, and vampires can smell the living. Rubbing the back of her neck, Lissa points her crossbow out the window, watching and listening for enemies. Should I protect myself from evil now? No... wait until they're within sight.

Baravar Cloakshadow, please protect us and help us destroy these things of evil. I'm sorry I wasn't smart enough to figure out that they marked me. I'll try to be more careful in the future; I'm already trying to be careful and keep an eye on everyone, even though they're my friends...
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Bugbear in the Playground

Those of you looking out the windows have trouble seeing much. The moon is thin, casting little light on the icy ground. From the second floor, the abandoned cottages sit dark and empty, surrounding the meeting hall in all directions.

A shower of sparks catches your eye. At the edge of town, three horsemen appear. Tiny flames dance at the horses' hooves. The three horsemen rein in their horses. At this distance it is impossible to make out their faces.
    Last edited by Dr._Bob; 2007-02-17 at 05:15 PM.

4. - Top - End - #1294

Lizardman Druid

The lizardman had moved to a window and picked up a javelin. He'd still glanced back to the gnome who'd dropped off and picked her crossbow.

Should I cast my Detect Magic on her?...I am unsure how that helps though..

Something grabs him at the edges of his consciousness. A sensation that the balance had somehow shifted. Peering out the window he sees the riders and the flaming steeds.

That is not natural..

His grip on the javelin tightens and he forgets about Elthan's dangerous magic for the moment.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

5. - Top - End - #1295
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Lumpy's natural suspicion was working in a way very akin to Lissa's. What was it that kept bothering him about vampires? As the burly half-orc paced back down the stairs towards his post, he considered what he knew. Which was what the wizard had told him. That was it.

Quote Originally Posted by Callos
    Its not folklore. Vampires are halted by the strong smell of garlic, a strongly presented holy symbol, running water which is why I suggested the river, concreated ground, and they must ask permission before entering into another person's home. On death their forced back into hiding in their coffins were they must rest for time and are vulnerable. Sunlight first cripples then destroys them. Their voices can dominate a person's mind and they can call creatures from the night to serve them. Not to mention turning into mists and creatures themselves. A stake will merely put the creature into hibernation, they'll reform once its removed unless the body is destroyed. Immersing them in water is almost as effective as sunlight against them. Magic and silver can penetrate their unholy hides not to mention they heal at an astonishing rate for a creature filled with negative energy.
    It struck him entirely too late. There were at least THREE mounted vampires. They'd killed one and taken two prisoners, but left one wounded behind. Unless they were very sloppy or very stupid, and from the look of the snare they'd laid, they were neither. . . there was something else. The half-elf was. . . more bait? A lure?

Quote Originally Posted by Callos
    Their voices can dominate a person's mind
    A booby-trap.

"Stupid!"

He turns, barreling back up the stairs towards the room Elthan had sequestered. If it was locked, he'd break it down, if it was magicked, he'd break it down while on fire. If he was wrong, they might miss out on one spell. If he was right, well, Gods hope he wasn't too late.

6. - Top - End - #1296
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

Lissa sucks in a breath at the sight of the three unholy riders. Turning toward the rest of the room, she waves to get her friends' attention. "Nightmare riders! Probably the vampires! Edge of town!" It still hurts to talk, but at least she can do so now. Which is a good thing, since Lissa still has one spell left that might be useful for this fight. Lowering her crossbow and grasping her holy symbol, Lissa quietly chants a spell in Celestial. A hazy white nimbus flares briefly around the gnome's body, then subsides. Lissa returns to her vigil at the window, ready to shoot as soon as the riders are within range.

OOC: Yay for domain spells! Cast protection from evil (Good domain, 1st level) on self. It'll last 5 min. Somehow I don't think it'll take the vampires that long to get here.
    Last edited by Phasm; 2007-02-17 at 12:48 AM.

7. - Top - End - #1297
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

Callos

After having shouted his own warning he was less then surprised to see the flaming horses approaching the town. How best to prepare for the uncoming battle? He really didn't have much...especially much that could work on vampires...Except for his mirror...maybe...just maybe he would have time to study more spells. Standing on the walkway part over the door he sat down cross-legged and pulled the spell book from its pouch and the rope Lissa had given him. Just in case. Studying furiously, eyes running over the spells as quickly as possible and keeping the mirror and rope handy. Of course he could always....opal eyes darted to the dining knife that he had been given then to his own arm...would it really help? It wouldn't be the best of ideas to do now though...
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

8. - Top - End - #1298
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yix

Yix closes his eyes and thinks very carefully making sure that he gets everyone within his range of broadcast "What can I do to be useful?"

9. - Top - End - #1299

Adalmar

He rushes to the nearest window and takes in the approaching riders. At least the enemy isn't in our midst.

He whispers to Lissa : "So, those are your enemies ? The riders are vampires ? Are their mounts dangerous too ? Who should we try to take out first : the mounts or the riders ?"

He lets her nod yes or no. He thinks hard : "What did you say about silver harming them ?"

Not really waiting for an answer, he sheathes his sword, unshoulders his bow and draws some arrows from his backpack, adding them to one of his quivers. Rangers always keep silver weapons to deal with the occasional lycanthrope. Caressing the engraved wood of the bow, he murmurs "Roar." and suddenly crackling silvery sparks run along the stave, then subside just as quickly.
    He returns to the window.

[OOC: if it becomes evident they are headed for the town hall (i.e. they already know the group is there), Adalmar will shoot at one of the beast as soon as they are in range - he can afford a light penalty, especially if they don't expect a far-reaching ranged attack. 220ft at -2, 330ft at -4 - if he can even see this far !]
    "Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

10. - Top - End - #1300

Lizardman Druid

The druid turns as Lumpy rushes past him to the storeroom.

"Semuanya!! What now?"

That the stout half-orc would scramble for the little room confused Ssathiya when the danger was clearly outside. He glowers at him.

OOC: Wisdom Check: 19 + 2= 21

An icy realization then descends on the druid as certain facts align themselves in his mind.

Serpentslayer is a skilled hunter. A good leader in a fight.

That he would be more concerned with the storeroom meant that there was far greater danger inside there than outside at the moment.
    He stands up, away from the window with a look of utter confusion and stares at the others next to him.

Coming to a decision, he yells at the people next to him,
    "Go with him!"
    Without my magic I am no help. Semuanya! I beg you, watch over us now.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Lumpy
    "I'd rather walk."

11. - Top - End - #1301
    Ogre in the Playground

Katrin

Seeing that Lissa seems to be alright, she begins to walk back upstairs, then breaks into a run when she hears Callos' warning. She remembers his list of their weaknesses and mentally runs through them. Holy symbol... couldn't get one. Silver... let's not think about silver. Running water... nope. The holy water might help, although I don't know how much harm it could deal to them before I run out of it. Magic... I wish. Sunlight will have to wait. Garlic... Tiriel bought some powdered garlic. She calls down to her, "Tiriel! Didn't you buy some powdered garlic when we were in Two Stars? Could I have some?"

Meanwhile she says a quick mental prayer. Dear Sel
    ûne, Moonmaiden and protector, please watch over us and protect us this night. Please aid us in our quest to destroy these creatures of evil. Please help us live to warn Rashemen of the oncoming Army in time.
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

12. - Top - End - #1302
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by namo View Post
    Adalmar
    He whispers to Lissa : "So, those are your enemies ? The riders are vampires ? Are their mounts dangerous too ? Who should we try to take out first : the mounts or the riders ?"

He lets her nod yes or no. He thinks hard : "What did you say about silver harming them ?"
    Lissa

Lissa whispers back, keeping her eyes on the window, "Yes, yes, and yes. The mounts are called nightmares; they can fly, the hooves are fiery, and they're pure evil. Get the vampires first, they're smart and they'll be dictating strategy." She slaps herself on the forehead and begins unloading her crossbow. "Silver! Nearly forgot about that! Yes, it does harm them. They don't like holy symbols much, so if you've got one, that might help." Lissa opens her backpack, pulls out a handful of silver-tipped crossbow bolts, and exchanges the ordinary bolts in her quiver for the silvered ones. That done, she closes her backpack and loads a silver-tipped bolt into her crossbow. "Lets see, what else did Callos tell us... holy water and sunlight hurts them. Garlic and mirrors repel them. Wooden stake through the heart kills it instantly, I think I saw Lumpy making some of those."

13. - Top - End - #1303
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

The stocky dwarf checks his position, and goes about finalizing his armor and weapons, checking straps and securing himself. With a final gesture he takes his giant tower shield up with the bastard sword, and digs in

"Ach, once again, if any of yer be capable of healin' me a tad, I would very much appreciate it now! Ready to lay em' down Half Breed?"

14. - Top - End - #1304

Khazrael

Hearing the cries of the others, he skitters back to the second floor, and spying the coming threat, he shouts, "We should group together!"

That said, he moves to the ceiling and once again slips his mirror out of his back pocket, remembering Callos's earlier advice.

Initiative (1d20+1=14)

15. - Top - End - #1305

The three horsemen keep their distance. The one in the center throws back her hood, revealing herself to be a woman in ornate plate armor. Her pale face wears an unreadable expression. She raises her right hand. Straining your eyes through the darkness, you catch a glint of faint moonlight off of a serpentine dagger in her hand.

The ground behind the three riders begins to shift and crack. A faint rumble reaches your ears as skeletal figures begin to climb up out of the frozen earth. Scores of skeletons rise to their feet and begin to march forward past the riders into the village. The skeletons are armed with decrepit swords and axes. Some carry rusted shields.
    Last edited by Dr._Bob; 2007-02-17 at 04:48 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1306

Adalmar

Tension grips his guts like never before. Skeletons now ? How do you even fight skeletons ? Mielikki, protect me !

"Wooden stakes ? Then if somebody could get me one or two..."

[OOC: Initiative (1d20+4)[9]
    He will start firing at skeletons with mundane arrows once they are within range. ]
    "Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

17. - Top - End - #1307

Tiriel

"Wait, what's going on? Didn't Lissa just say that there were Vampires outside?" confused Tiriel quickly gets out of Lumpy's way as he charges toward the store room. "Why are you charging up here? I already checked Elthan, he's acting weird but there wasn't anything evil about him or the room..."

Tiriel falls silent when it's obvious that what she said has fallen on deaf ears. She turns away and yells at Katrine, "I gave you some of the garlic already. In fact I gave everyone some of it! I don't know what would be better, smashing it in their faces or on the ground around us. Oh wait." She digs around in her belt pouch and pulls out four small paper packets. "Adalmar, You're a good shot right, take some of these! " She runs over to the archer and hands him 4 of the garlic bombs she'd made earlier, "Wait for the Vampires to come within range," Tiriel catches a glimpse out the window,
    "****! Looks like they brought friends!"
    Last edited by kuja.girl; 2007-02-17 at 05:28 PM.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

18. - Top - End - #1308

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

Achkby had taken a position on the ground floor at first, his spells being best used on a plane with his enemies. When he heard Lissa scream, though, he vaulted up the stairs at (his less-than-impressive) top speed to see what was wrong.

At Callos' yell, he had started down the stairs again, but returned to the balcony when the threat was discovered to not be immediate. Since then, he's flitted about Lissa, hovering almost protectively but entirely ineffectually a few feet off.

At Lumpy's yell and charge up the stairs, Achkby's dithering reached a new level; he first plastered himself to the wall, then leaped after the half-orc, but after only a few paces returned to his befuddled inactivity and accompanying waiting place just behind Lissa.
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

19. - Top - End - #1309

Khazrael

"You gotta be kidding me! How the hell...?!"

Grumbling, he grits his teeth and begins weaving a spell...

((If any skeletons get within 160 feet, he'll fire a magic missile out the window, spreading it out so that two missiles strike one skeleton, and one missile spreads to a third, trying to gauge their toughness.))

Magic Missile damage: (1d4+1=3, 1d4+1=3, 1d4+1=4)

20. - Top - End - #1310
    Ogre in the Playground

Katrin

"Thanks!" Katrin rushes over to her pack and opens it, and sure enough, the 'garlic bomb' is right on top of everything. The Handy Haversack is aptly named. She sticks it in her belt pouch for later use. Glancing out the window again, she sees the skeletons. How would you destroy one of those things? You'd probably have to break the bones; my crossbow won't be too much good, especially without silver...

Katrin looks around for something useful for breaking bones, and finally settles upon a piece of railing left over from Thokk scavenging wood for barring the windows. She draws her shortsword with her other hand.
    Last edited by blackfox; 2007-02-17 at 07:30 PM.
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

21. - Top - End - #1311
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

Lissa begins cursing up a storm in a mixture of several languages at the sight of the skeletons. "Skeletons! Why couldn't it be zombies?! Arrows and bolts are bugger-all use against skeletons!" She turns to Achkby. "You've got spells left, fry 'em!"

OOC: Are any of the enemies (riders, nightmares, or skeletons) within crossbow range yet?

22. - Top - End - #1312

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

Achkby flails about, limp-wristed, in a combination between a shrug and attempt to let off energy.

"I can't! I mean I can! But... but it'd be a waste! I can only cast a few, I only have the energy for a few, and I can't use 'em right from up here, I have to be on the ground with 'em..." he says, speak quickly and stumbling over the words.

"I don't know what to do!" he shouts to the whole building, echoing Yix's more sedated cry.
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

23. - Top - End - #1313

Lizardkin Druid

Trinark had been standing next to Ssathiya. He reaches out and arm and lays it on the lizardman's shoulder.

"Save your spears. Onlyinsignificant damage will be inflicted upon the skeletons."
    he says.

The lizardman looks annoyed and pitches the held javelin on the floor.

Seeing Katrin handle a waterskin reminds him of the 'holy water' the others had been talking about. Looking at Trinark, he asks,
    "Can you make 'holy water'?"

He quickly outlines a simple plan to move to a window overlooking the door and cast his create water spell. With Trinark's aid, they could convert it into a holy shower for the skeletons.

OOC: Init: 16 +2=18
    Last edited by runehawk; 2007-02-18 at 01:05 AM.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Spoiler
    Show

Lumpy
    "I'd rather walk."

24. - Top - End - #1314

Aeroz

"Why..." Aeroz mutters under his breath in a kind of whine. He aims his bow straight at the woman with the serpentine dagger (Kris?). Realization that arrows would not do much if Callos' description of vampires were indeed accurate crosses his face, and arrows really couldn't do much to skeletons. He goes to where he left his bag and fishes out another healing potion and drinks it.

"Hey Callos, does your everyday typical undead have any particular resistance to fire?" he asks as he draws his rapier.

[OOC: Potion of Cure moderate wounds (Curing 4+5+3=12 damage, init 18+3=21]
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

25. - Top - End - #1315
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

Callos

It's time...

Callos rose up from his feet and turned to the window at the sound of the ground cracking and rising up. And what he saw made his knees shake.

NO! No! This can't be happening! Its just like the dream, JUST LIKE IT!....Oh no...THE TRAP WON'T WORK!

"
    Fire is fine but cold is useless on the skeletons. You need to crack the bones, stabbing or cutting isn't nearly as effective! Listen, if things get bad then retreat to the storeroom on the opposite from the building as the storeroom that Elthan is preparing Evendur in." The necromancer's normally jovial or serious tone was severely shaken and had a hint of fear to it. Now his thoughts were almost continually turning to the one way out that he had. But he couldn't leave everyone to fend for themselves!....Could he? No!...But what could he really do? Despite his mild profiecency with his fists, not nearly as much as Sheyra had possessed, Callos knew he'd be ripped to shreds if he attempted melee with the undead. ...But the very walkway he was standing on...he could drop it on them!

(( Moving to on of the corners at the beginning of the room.))
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

26. - Top - End - #1316

Adalmar eyes the approaching skeletons with unease. He knows that Kront lies on top of an ancient battleground. This part of the East was contested ground between the ancient civilizations of Narfell and Raumathar, and enough blood was spilled on the shores of nearby Lake Ashane to give it the nickname "Lake of Tears". Incongruously it occurs to him that some of the approaching undead might be the bones of his ancestors. He shivers at the thought.

The riders keep their distance, watching impassively as the skeletons advance on the meeting house.

The skeletons arrange themselves into a number of different units, perhaps unconsciously mimicking the tactics they once used in life. The skeletons (too many to count) converge on the front doors.

Khazrael fires a volley of magic missiles that destroys one skeleton and blasts the arm off a second. Others fire arrows and crossbow bolts.

While the others are busy at the front of the meeting house, Lumpy crashes into the storeroom to the rear. Taking in the macabre situation in the unlighted room at a glance, he smashes his flail into Elthan's jaw, knocking the half-elf out instantly.

Evendur's body lies in the center of a black circle. A pool of dark blood spreads across the floor. The paladin's disembodied head lies face up, eyes closed, wearing an expression of ... trust?

OOC: The skeletons have AC 15 and DR 5/bludgeoning. Each has 6 hp. Feel free to roll your own attacks and damage. I will keep track of the number of skeletons destroyed (so far, one).
    Last edited by Dr._Bob; 2007-02-18 at 08:12 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1317
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

The dwarf readies himself in the bottom floor, preparing to engage the first skeletons that make their way into the building and attempting to figure out how to keep his flanks covered

"Ach lads! Stay where you can shoot em! Ill try and keep em preoccupied down here! Little lass, got anythin else that can help me out?"

28. - Top - End - #1318

The dwarf stands in front of the barricaded doorway. His tower shield is braced in front of him with his sword held ready over his shoulder. He looks to either side and is surprised to find himself alone. For a moment, he wonders where Lumpy and the paladin are, then he shrugs. More for me.

OOC: It looks to me like everyone except Thokk is up on the second floor.

Anyone who wishes may do what Katrin has done and find a piece of wood to use as a club (1d6). There are enough pieces of broken wood to choose from to avoid any penalties for an improvised weapon.
    Last edited by Dr._Bob; 2007-02-18 at 08:21 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1319

Tiriel

Tiriel decides to temporarily sheath her sword and pick-off as many skeletons as she can with her bow until they make it into the building.*

3 attacks:
    attack, damage = attack total, damage total
    1d20+7, 1d8+5=[10, 7], [1, 5], = 17, 6 damage
    1d20+7, 1d8+5=[11, 7], [3, 5], = 18, 8 damage
    1d20+7, 1d8+5=[20, 7], [1, 5]) = 27, 6 damage
    ^(& the crit's pointless since it's dead anyhow)

* as soon as it looks like the skeletons are going to break into the building she'll be switching to melee mode.
    Last edited by kuja.girl; 2007-02-18 at 08:42 PM.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

30. - Top - End - #1320
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Lumpy storms back out of the storeroom, bloody flail in one hand, supporting Elthan over one shoulder, the sorcerer's jaw suspiciously misaligned. Wordlessly, he unslings the sorcerer's unconscious form near where the others have gathered, offering an entirely too-brief explanation,

"The Holy Man's dead- no, don't go look, it ain't something fer looking at. If he ever wakes back up," The half-orc waves his flail at Elthan, "knock his traitorous hide back out again."

With that's he's already on the move again, barking orders as he heads down the stairs to join Thokk on the floor. His voice grows in intensity, underlined with anger, and punctuated by rapid gestures towards people and locations as he addresses them. Notably to the newcomers, Lumpy's speech is stacatto and notably lacking proper nouns, but he speaks as if he expects no dissent. A drill sergeant's voice.

"First stand's on the floor between the barricade and the stairs! Ya got the left side, Dwarf, I'll take the right! Halfling, if ya've got more lightning left, I want ya at the foot'a the stairs fer the start, first thing they should see when the door gives is sparks! You, with the feathers, once he's done that, let them regroup, then the same from the other side! ANyone with healing on the stairs too ta make sure we can get access either way real easy!" He pauses, considering, before indicating Tiriel with one finger, "Anyone with some close combat left in them, get ya a nice peice a wood and set up on the ground floor. Just stick near me and the dwarf and be ready ta fall back if they break through in force! Second stand'll be on the stairs! If I call it, don't stop, just get up the damn things so we can all fall back in time! Everyone who's staying up there, keep an eye on those damned windows. So much as a squirrel comes through one, I wanna hear about it!"

He pauses again, but his voice softens somewhat as he continues,

"This is it, folks. Watch yer backs. And lets communicate this time. No one can read everything, ya gotta work it all out together."