New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Generica (Team Potato Tree, Thread III)

Dann takes a deep breath, then continues. "You're not from this city, so you won't have noticed, but.. recently, in the past couple of years, people have been leaving. Lots of people. They're scared to live here." He stops for a moment, then continues. "They're not scared of the people like Jack. They're used to them. It's the king they're worried about..."

He looks down at the matted floor. "My sister moved away from home when I was eight. She was too scared to live here any more. She tried to take me with her, but my dad wouldn't let her... he's a royalist, and believes strongly that the king is a good man. But..." He trails off.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Have I really been blind to the governmental needs of Generica as a country? I have, after all, travelled around most of it. But I guess...

"I guess, what with me always concerned with when the next angry mob will run me out of which town, I've never payed attention much to our government. Please continue. It may be that I too, am I royalist, but I'm always open to a good discussion." Hicchup's eyes soften a bit, and he scratches idly at one of his protruding teeth. "...and please get to the part about me being uncouncious and your talk with... Red."

The last is spit out with a certain amount of enmity, certainly not lost to Danny.
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:
    I've only seen a character at anything resembling this level of absurdity thrive exactly once, and he/she/what-the-jongo had the advantage of being written by Gengy, who I look up to as a writer.

"What-the-Jongo?"
    Before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes!

Got me a Real Job™ (yay!). Still busy (boo!).
    ~avatar by myself

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

'Okay, I got Phil back, sans dismemberment, so I want my Badgerwhale and glasses back. Gimme.'

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

He nods. "When you were, um.. unconcious... I convinced Red that it would be possible to remove King Generic from a position where he can conitnue to hurt people without killing him. I don't like him very much, but I don't want to see anyone else get killed... I doubt they'd be as lucky as Jenny..."

He rests his head on one of his hands. "I convinced Red to give us a chance to try and organise a republic or... whatever. Something that gives the king less power with which to hurt innocent people..."

He looks at his feet. "Although... this is just an excuse. I just leapt at the chance to make my sister's stories come true, really. I... want her back. I miss her."

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

"You mean these things?"
    Phil holds up Jack's glasses.
    "We got them off a wierd guy who escaped from the prison. Friend of yours?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Helanna View Post
    This. This is the best thing that has ever happened in all 34 threads, ever. This has made every single second spent on Dominic Deegan not wasted time. Every time I stayed up to see the sneaky gate, every rage-filled post I've ever made, every time Mookie's writing has caused me physical pain - so, so worth it.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Hicchup has noted before, that ever since he has met the people he now considers as friends - yes, even Jack - he has sighed a great deal in frustration.

As the relevance of Danny's words hit him, Hicchup sighs a new record on the sigh scale, surely causing some scientific recorders to rethink their size-of-possible-sighs all over again.

Once the sigh was finished, Hicchup looked down at Danny.

So many things. I can't believe he... no, no, it was... but... and change a kingdom? If we try doing that, it's back to being outlaws. And moreso for Jack and I, what with me being a half-orc, and Jack being... well, Jack. I wonder if he isn't already considered an outlaw somewhere. Probably. I certianly hope no one ever has to call him inlaw. I'm straying from the point, however. Think, Hicchup, think! The boy obviously wants you to say SOMETHING.

At last, the half-orc opens his mouth. "So. You did what you had to to get us all out alive. Makes more sense now, that you kicked me. I certainly would have made objections. Fine. For what it's worth... I forgive you now. For nearly killing me, I mean. Twice."

"As to the other matter, however..." Hicchup folds his arms, and rolls his eyes in the back of his head, closing his eyelids to think better. The half-orc pulls out Howard. "Howard, my page-turning companion, I assume you've been listening. Any information on successful republics? Ones that haven't, as of yet, gone south."

Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:
    I've only seen a character at anything resembling this level of absurdity thrive exactly once, and he/she/what-the-jongo had the advantage of being written by Gengy, who I look up to as a writer.

"What-the-Jongo?"

~avatar by myself

7. - Top - End - #37

"Generica is ruled by a king. Lussport is ruled by a mayor. Stronghold is ruled by several clan elders. St Belbe's is ruled by a council consisting of the six high priests of the gods. The animals of the forest are ruled by the strongest. The giants are ruled by another king. I do not known how the elves are ruled. All of these work. None of these are republics."
    This. This is the best thing that has ever happened in all 34 threads, ever. This has made every single second spent on Dominic Deegan not wasted time. Every time I stayed up to see the sneaky gate, every rage-filled post I've ever made, every time Mookie's writing has caused me physical pain - so, so worth it.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

"..Technically mayors are elected officials and a mayorship is pretty close to being a sort of republic of one... kinda..." He sighs. "Hicchup, you rely on that book too much. Its obvious it doesn't know everything."

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

"Anything inter-planally?" Hicchup asks, pointedly ignoring the time distortion caused by the otherwordly interference known only as 'The Simu-post'.
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:

"What-the-Jongo?"

~avatar by myself

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Danny mumbles. "Besides, that book doesn't like me..."

11. - Top - End - #41

"Elementals are ruled by kings. Celestials are ruled by gods. Demons are ruled by demon lords. Monarchy is the natural state of the universe."

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Danny hmms to himself. "..Jenny, how do your kind go about ruling themselves? And do you know of any republics out there?"

It really seems as though he's talking to himself.

13. - Top - End - #43

"We acted in independent teams, with a strict command structure. I worked under Reno and Gladius and... and Marshall...."
    Jenny suddenly goes quiet. Danny gets a feeling of quiet sadness from her.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Danny goes silent. "...Sorry." He then looks up at Hicchup. "...Well. Anyway. Just because republics have never been done before doesn't mean they wouldn't work, does it?"

Danny pauses, then gets up. "..Hicchup. I need to go ask for some.. advice. Could you just think it over until I get back?" Without waiting for an answer, Danny exits the room, then heads for the Temple of Senna.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

'Whatever. Gimme. And the Badgerwhale.'

Jack's haggling techniques were exemplary.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Daniel stops outside the Temple of Senna, takes a deep breath, then walks up the steps, opening the door and peeking in.

17. - Top - End - #47

Danny is immediately met by a slender man in a long, flowing robe. "Greetings, young one. How may the Immaculate Mistress help you today?"

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Danny blinks a little bit. "I thought most of Her clergy were girls...?" He shakes his head. "Um. I... need some advice." He pauses, remembering the gashes in his gi. "...Not fashion advice, I'm buying a new outfit later anyway. I need moral advice... You can give that, right?"

19. - Top - End - #49

The man considers this. "Well, it's certainly unorthodox, but I suppose I can confer some of the Style Queen's more... moral wisdom upon you."

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Danny smiles lightly. "Thanks. Um. Anything I tell you is, uh.. confidential, right? You're not supposed to tell anyone, even, say, completely at random, the king?"

21. - Top - End - #51

The man nods. "Of course, anything you tell me will be between you, me and Senna blesshername"

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jack taps his foot rather impatiently and waits to get what's coming to him.

23. - Top - End - #53

"Alright, alright, keep your hair on you freak."

Legitimate Phil hands over the glasses while Honest Pete comes behind the stall to fetch the cub. He presses its lead into Jack's hand, stops Nixon from stealing his ball-bearings and shoos Jack off into the street.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

Pocketing the glasses, nudging Nixon forwards with his feet and towing the badgerwhale cub, Jack knew where he wanted to go next. He strolled down to the temple district and just caught a glimpse of Danny disappearing into the temple of Senna. Paying it no mind, Jack made his way to Khuft's temple, casually opened the large oak doors and stepped inside.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Hicchup watches Danny leave.

"Re-pub-lic. Re-public." The half-orc muses the word over, trying it out. "I suppose it's possible. And if Izabella - ah, even her name brings a catch to my throat - if she thinks it's a good thing, then there must be something to it. What do you think, Howard?"

Hicchup asks the question unthinkingly. but a part of his brain does resound with this thought: Perhaps I AM coming to rely on this book too much.
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:

"What-the-Jongo?"

~avatar by myself

26. - Top - End - #56

Jack's Perspective

The smell of goat overwhelms Jack's nose as he walks into the temple, and is met by the familiar priest.

"Ah, Jack. Hello again. I see you've managed to keep your height this time."

~~~

Hicchup's Perspective

"Personally, I am in favour of retaining the king. Or, at least, a king. However, some sacrifices must be made for progress. Do you think your companion intends for you to Wish this new arrangement into existance? He does not much look like a politician."

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Danny nods his head, looking around as if to check something. "..Could we go into a smaller room or something? It feels much too open here."

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

Despite having a word or two to say to Hicchup and Danny on the frankly idiotic idea of the formation of a republic in Generica, Jack confidently greeted the cleric of Khuft.

'Yo. Praise Khuft and all that. I was wondering, since I'm such a good friend of your church, whether you could give me some advice. I know you're naturally-orientated and like stuff with four legs, so could you help me train this badgerwhale, so that it may better serve me and thus help keep the all-important balance... balanced?'
    Last edited by LazyJoe; 2007-10-28 at 05:18 AM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

"Ah yes... the wish. No, no. Even if that was Danny's intent, I wouldn't use the wish for that. Too many thing could go wrong with a wish like that. No, when I use my wish, I'm going to be attempting to do it safely. But you are correct in the same assesment. I too, would prefer a nice, simple, monarchy. Diplomatically speaking, however, I do not think the current king would like the idea of a disposition, nor would a new king enjoy the prospect of a group hired by the previous leige turning against said previous." Hicchup sighed again.

"What's that saying? Ah yes. Jacked if we do, and Jacked if we don't. Either way, we still are stuck with Jack."
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:

"What-the-Jongo?"

~avatar by myself

30. - Top - End - #60

"Very well, I suppose I could ask Khuft for his blessing in this case. What is the cub's name?"