New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 47 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Shadow Ops - Resurrected and still going

Umm... Okay, back atcha...

(Reflex: 17+11= way more than 10, er 28)

"I can't help it if I'm the biggest and the strongest. I don't even excercise." Fezzik, The Princess Bride avvy by Peregrine

2. - Top - End - #242
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Rowan upon being spotted quickly charges down the hall while tossing a bag at the 'little man'. Somehow he nimbly backsteps the bag and avoids it's effects. Goo spreads over the floor where he was and quickly hardens. Just before Rowan arrives at his destination, the bag tossed by Jacks explodes in front of him. Rowan quickly jumps back to avoid the spray of powder. The 'little man' jumps back as well avoiding the main spray of the powder. He coughs and grins a little as the powder spreads in the air of the hallway.

The 'little man' is on the other side of the powder. Rowan and Jacks you could charge through, but it may still effect you, or you can wait for it to clear some, or you could do something else. The 'little man' taps himself on the head with the wand.
    "Feelings and empathy are just devices to better help you see into the hearts and desires of your victims."

3. - Top - End - #243
    Orc in the Playground

OOC: there's no save for being blinded in the target square. At least not that I've been able to found.
    (This Space for Rent)

4. - Top - End - #244
    Orc in the Playground

ooc: actions pending on ruling
    "I can't help it if I'm the biggest and the strongest. I don't even excercise." Fezzik, The Princess Bride avvy by Peregrine

5. - Top - End - #245

PaladinGuy

I didn't mean that he saved from the blinding effect. He was not in the affected area when the egg exploded. His save was to evade the area of main effect.
    "Feelings and empathy are just devices to better help you see into the hearts and desires of your victims."

6. - Top - End - #246
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aren
    Aren shakes his head and sighs. He then moves up the corridor behind the other two, letting them engage first, with his sap at the ready.
    "That's replacing the octopus in my nightmares!"
    "There's an octopus in your nightmares?"
    "Not any more!"

7. - Top - End - #247
    Orc in the Playground

Ev... hrm - well, evade this, little man...

Rowan, a tall human -

Since Rowan is on him, and he's moved away (adjacent, remember?), doesn't Rowan get an AoO? Or are you saying he jumped out of the cloud, then, erm, back in the - Well, whatever, Rowan's bringing him to the ground. Step to him quickly and tackle him, then, once Rowan's got him, take that bleedin' wand from his hands.

(So - Grapple check... That means a [1.] touch attack: Nat 20!, then an [2.]opposed Grapple check as a free action - Rowan's is 18+8=25 vs. ? the little guy [is he size small or is he just short? Size small means a penalty!], then once the grapple is completed, he's going to take that wand away from him - So, [3.] - pin - Another opposed grapple check of 17+8=24 vs ? to pin him for one round - next round Rowan'll be able to take the wand away. Yes this one standard action)

8. - Top - End - #248
    Orc in the Playground

[OOC:Not sure how a character can move out of a square on another character's turn, especially TWICE (Rowan, then Jacks) but you're the DM, so *shrugs*)

Jacks eyes the situation, conciious of the fact that these two "men" may be in league with Vecna, and thereby more than meets the eye, and draws another egg from his sack.

(Readying an action to throw grenade at the taller man if he movesto get involved.)
    (This Space for Rent)

9. - Top - End - #249

PaladinGuy

Ok, lets get down to the gritty then.

The tanglefoot bag has a save of 15. Which the little mans saving throw was a 15, so his bonuses weren't needed. The tangle foot effects the whole area, so the only way to 'avoid' the effect with a save in my opinion is to have removed the target from the area. The egg has a similar effect, so I was using the, "when you are subject to an unusual or magical attack, you get a saving throw to avoid or reduce the effect", from the SRD or handbook, whichever you are using, to allow the 'little man' a saving throw. I see now though that the EggShell is a standard attack and therefore, does not get a save, much like a throwing axe. My question then turns to, Does the description of the Eggshell say what happens if say it is deflected or snatched, like an arrow?

At this point the 'little man' is at the center of the egg explosion until I get a response. Rowan you were closing in but basically had to stop before you got there due to the egg dust, so you and the 'little man' were never adjacent. Since we are dealing with dust, am I to assume the dust stays in the air for a time period, like 1d4 rounds, or is there something in the description about that. If there isn't I'm going to have to go by my original thinking that the dust itself is in the air. Therefore if anyone engages in that hex they will need a saving throw to resist the blinding effect of the dust.

Oops almost forgot, the tall man is headed the other way in the hall. He apparently has no desire or concern about the combat.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Orc in the Playground

{ooc: sent a PM to LB}
    (This Space for Rent)

11. - Top - End - #251

PaladinGuy

To late for GM to think. Long day. I'll post at lunch tomorrow.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aren
    Aren sees the tall man walking away, and shouts "Stop right there! Both of you are under arrest!"
    "Not any more!"

13. - Top - End - #253

Kitty is uncontrollably convulsing in paroxyms of laughter for no apparent reason by herself in the room.

(You're under arrest! ;D ;D ;D I love it.)
    "Science has not yet taught us if madness is or is not the sublimity of the intelligence." -- Edgar Allan Poe

~~
    Depending on which avvy I'm using:
    Erin Avatar (aiming gun in chainmail) by Annex.
    Veronica Avatar (goth chick psion) by Gorbash Kazdar.

14. - Top - End - #254

PaladinGuy

Okay here's what I need:

Jacks now considering the range, and issues, 'Do you want to still throw the egg, as Rowan and you close the distance?'

Rowan has no idea about what Jacks is doing, so he is continuing with his original action.

Aren the tall man continues to walk, but looks back over his shoulder and the corner of his mouth rises in a half-smile. He then continues down the hall.

Kitty as you ROFL, something appears in the room with you. It is floating in mid-air and flys at you. Before you can react, it stabs you in the stomach and you see your blood start flowing into a vial. The blow doesn't hurt. You just felt a little prick as it stuck into you.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Orc in the Playground

Definitely - I figure Jacks is trained in this so he knows what's up. Did you see my save for the action in the PM I sent you?
    (This Space for Rent)

16. - Top - End - #256

Kitty

Kitty looks surprised, but grabs the needle in her fingers. (Rolled a 19? Don't know if I needed to roll anyway.) She jams it into the table, or barring that, simply puts it under her boot and holds it down. Then she calmly takes the vial (is it floating in midair too?) and smashes it against the wall.
    "Science has not yet taught us if madness is or is not the sublimity of the intelligence." -- Edgar Allan Poe

~~

17. - Top - End - #257
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aren
    Aren says "I warned you", then runs through the cloud towards the taller man, intending to stop him, but stopping once he is through, blinking the dust out of his eyes.
    "Not any more!"

18. - Top - End - #258

PaladinGuy

Alright here we go kiddies;

Kitty, the vial is attached to the neddle. You grab the neddle and pull it out. Being as the 2 are joined you rare back and throw it at the wall. Just before it hits it disappears as quickly as it appeared.

In the hall Rowan and Jacks close the 20 some-odd feet to the 'little man'. Rowan tosses the tanglefoot bag at 10 feet away. With a quick move the 'little man' becomes tangled , but manages to avoid being stuck to the floor. Rowan continues moving going for a wrestliing move to get the wand. At 5 feet Jacks tosses the eggshell grenade. The egg explodes catching both Rowan and the 'little man.' Even Jacks is caught in the egg's dust, but he manages to close his eyes just as the dust sprays across his face. Just as quickly they open as the dust no longer threatens his eyes, although they tingle and water slightly with the dust that lingers in the air, Jacks is far from blinded. Jacks sees Rowan standing there squinting, his eyes watering badly. He also sees the 'little man' in a similar condition. As Jacks prepares his next course of action the 'little man' taps his leg with the wand, and disappears. (Next Round) Rowan begins to grasp in the area the 'little man' was. If he were still there, Rowan would have had an excellent hold on him.

Edit: Aren, I need a fort save please.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Orc in the Playground

(OOC: technically Rowan can't throw the tanglefoot bag and go for a grapple on the same turn, and Jacks threw the egg right after Rowan threw the bag - so Rowan shouldn't be blinded - I think he threw the bag from 10 feet?

Sorry, not meaning to nitpick, just trying to get back to the order we did things initially.)
    (This Space for Rent)

20. - Top - End - #260
    Orc in the Playground

(OOC - I threw, then moved to get "in position" to grapple, then Jacks threw the eggshell. I was, indeed, standing close to Mr. Man. I threw the bag at more like 20 feet - as soon as he saw me in the hall, complete with range modifier. That's why I said Rowan didn't know what was going on behind him - I knew that would happen. Now, what I wanna know is why Rowan's blinded without a save. Either way, little wandy man gets away, but Rowan doesn't get the torture of seeing him disappear? Cause right now...)

Well, here -

Rowan, a tall human

Rowan closes and grapples -

Missed?! By Pelor, c'mere you nasty little man!!!

(Attempt a grapple to Rowan's right - That piece of floor tile is in big trouble)

21. - Top - End - #261

(Oh, I see. How very modern.)

Kitty inspects her wound.

~~

22. - Top - End - #262

PaladinGuy

That is correct. I forgot Rowan calculated a range modifier, and I asked very clearly, I thought, 'Did you want to throw at 5 feet knowing you would be caught in the blast?'. I was also considering the Rowan situation. I thought it was clear he was running in front of you. That's why he is in the main area of the Eggshell. Both of you closed the distance with your moves. Rowan threw and closed. Jacks closed and threw. Rowan grappling is the next round. I thought I marked that.

As Jacks prepares his next course of action the 'little man' taps his leg with the wand, and disappears. (Next Round) Rowan begins to grasp in the area the 'little man' was. If he were still there, Rowan would have had an excellent hold on him.
    Yeap I did.

I am not trying to screw anyone, or let the 'bad guy' get away, or anything else. This is just how I run combat. When multiple people are doing something against a single target, and they don't specify they are looking at one another or co-ordinating their actions, then things tend to happen at the same time.

With that said, since Rowan was directly in front of you, and you know the effects of the egg, I will ask, "Do you want to throw the egg knowing it's effects on the main area?"

Rowan you didn't get a save because there is no save. According to the description you are only allowed a save after 5 feet. Since you are in the same area as the guy, basically standing right in front of him about to wrap yours arms around him, you are within 5 feet. Since this is a item from 3.0 this is the way I'm working it. Anything in the same hex where the Egg explodes is blinded, as dust flys everywhere. Anyone in the surrounding 6 hexes has to make a save or be blinded for one round. After that the dust is to disappated to have any effect.

Kitty, you lift your shirt and don't really see anything except one small drop of blood.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Orc in the Playground

LB, your GURPS is showing. ::)

Squares. Not hexes. Eight squares, not six hexes. FertheluvaPete!

Muttonmongering can take the guy out of the 3d6, but can't take the 3d6 out of the guy....

...and LG is as dumb as you are.

24. - Top - End - #264

((Ummmmmm....Hi.

Yeah, can you tell I got this lecture earlier this week? I mentioned something about what hex someone was in too. Then I got explained in exhaustive detail how to move diagonally, and other facets of movement. I apologize for prepping him to yell at you.))

~~

25. - Top - End - #265
    Orc in the Playground

OK, I was throwing the egg with the assumption that my attack was after Rowan stopped to throw the tanglefoot bag - because that's where his post ended.

Then I posted that I threw the grenade, then he posted that he moved to grapple.

So - unless that's 2 separate rounds wherein I can throw the grenade and hot hit ROWAN, then I won't throw it.

As far as movement, I was assuming that Rowan had moved less than 30 feet and so I could move ahead of him.

sorry, I guess I'm just used to thinking per pnp rules with squares, initiative order, and turns. :p
    (This Space for Rent)

26. - Top - End - #266

Nonono!!

Head hurt.

It's not turns! Else Jacks has forfreaking ever til he throws that thing! That's second edition.

Isn't it?

~~

27. - Top - End - #267
    Orc in the Playground

Which segment do I go on, and what's the weapon speed mod for a heavy crystal mace?

What's my To hit Armor Class Zero stat again?

Now then - quit horsin' around, y'jokers! We've got a very serious game on our hands here.

I mean, he's under freaking arrest!

Oh my...

Anyhooo, how's every little thing...

Right.

---
    And to the right and proper -

To clarify, Ig., Rowan's first round action was:

Throw (standard), then move toward little guy (move)

not:

Throw
    then, in the next round

Move toward little guy, then attempt a grapple.

Does that help?

28. - Top - End - #268

PaladinGuy

Okay, no problems. For some reason I was actually thinking 3.0 was squares and 3.5 switched to hexes. I mean hexes are the more logical movement based shape. Hmmmm, maybe I should lay a Hex map over the world.

No, I knew Rowan was doing all that in one round. If it will make things simpler, we can make a rule that what you post is the whole round. If you forget to move or attack or whatever to bad, no extra post, and no edits after the GM post.

Rowan did move less than 30 feet. He moved about 22 feet to be exact. You were behind him and moved 20 feet, because the 'little man was at 221/2 feet. The only way for you to throw it before Rowan gets there is to throw it at like 2o feet, and I don't think the Egg has that kind of range, so lets just say it goes like this:

Everything is the same, except Jacks closed and then held his attack as he realized Rowan would be affected as well. Aren is right behind you two with his sap out. The 'little man' still taps his leg and disappears.

(Next Round)
    Rowan almost falls over as he 'hugs' thin air, but manages to easily avoid falling. (Free Action)

Aren does not need a save as there is no dust. Aren begins the round by running past you two heading for the tall man walking down the hall. (Aren you will be able to close the distance)

29. - Top - End - #269
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aren
    Aren swings his sap at the tall man's head, aiming to knock him out and take him in.
    Attack: 15+8=23
    Damage: 6+3=9 Subdual
    "Not any more!"

30. - Top - End - #270
    Orc in the Playground

(OOC: Ahhhhhh there it is. I was assuming that posts were somehwat equivalent to rounds. )

With the little man suddenly dissappearing, Jacks finds himself with no target. Redirecting, he heads quickly down the hallway with intentto throw his egg at the tall man in such a fashion as to incapacitate HIM without putting Aren, Rowan, Kitty, or himself in the CENTER (i.e. no save spot) of the dustcloud.
    (This Space for Rent)