New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1732333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1492
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: A Thread in Which Banter Most Random is Expulsed Into Existence, By Ravens_cry #1

Woah! I'm gone for half a day and the thread suddenly advances at the speed of light.
    Mumblegrumblelittlebrothersblockingcomputer...

ION: Wild strawberries! They are like concentrated sweet deliciousness in a lovely red package. And they're everywhere around my neighbourhood! And I'm the only one who picks them, too, so I don't have to share a single one.

I'm somewhat insulted by the English name, though. "Wild strawberries" implies that they're inferior to strawberries, while the Swedish word "smultron" often can be used in a phrase to describe something especially good. The most common expression involving "smultron" is "smultronställe" (a place where you find wild strawberries), which is used to describe an unspoiled and unexploited pearl (figuratively speaking). [/rant]
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: A Thread in Which Banter Most Random is Expulsed Into Existence, By Ravens_cry #1

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Woah! I'm gone for half a day and the thread suddenly advances at the speed of light.
    Mumblegrumblelittlebrothersblockingcomputer...

ION: Wild strawberries! They are like concentrated sweet deliciousness in a lovely red package. And they're everywhere around my neighbourhood! And I'm the only one who picks them, too, so I don't have to share a single one.

I'm somewhat insulted by the English name, though. "Wild strawberries" implies that they're inferior to strawberries, while the Swedish word "smultron" often can be used in a phrase to describe something especially good. The most common expression involving "smultron" is "smultronställe" (a place where you find wild strawberries), which is used to describe an unspoiled and unexploited pearl (figuratively speaking). [/rant]

And then there's savage strawberries. They leap out of the bushes and maul people with their, uh... I'm not sure, actually. Dangerous, anyway.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    And then there's savage strawberries. They leap out of the bushes and maul people with their, uh... I'm not sure, actually. Dangerous, anyway.
    No one who saw them up close lived to tell the tale, I take it?

Show

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Eh. Only if one believes that wild things are inherently bad or inferior to domesticated things.

I doubt many people that actually think believe that wolves are somehow inherently inferior to dogs. Superior in a number of ways, in fact.

I'm actually jealous though, of people who manage to find wild strawberries that are good. We have 'em over here in places and it appears they vary between "tasteless drops of red-colored water" and "delicious." Still, I only seem to get the tasteless drops of water when I go looking for 'em, despite having them grow around the house I lived in for most of High School.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Firbolg in the Playground

In what way does "wild" imply inferiority? Technically, it can mean a different species of strawberry, but really, it just means not farmed and cultivated. Generally seen as more natural and/or simpler. Which can have aspects of betterness, even.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I'm not getting the "wild=bad" thing either. Is this perhaps a connotation you're carrying over from Swedish?
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Bugbear in the Playground

Also I'd think that 'tame' strawberries are more inferior. Because they are domesticated and probably lost a lot of genetic material due to... selective planting.
    (Christmas) Lillith Avatar by Serpetine
    Psylock Lillith Avatar by Bradakhan
    Ceras Lillith Avatar by Araveugnitsuga

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Barbarian in the Playground

^what she said

I prefer 'wild' fruits, they still have their natural flavour..
    Peter by Derjuin
    NEXUS characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eadin by Akrim.elf

Catherine by Gulaghar:

9. - Top - End - #1239

I don't think I've ever eaten wild fruit. Or wild anything, at that.
    “I promise, we will find all your moms. And I'm gonna tell!.”- Wonder Woman

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lillith View Post
    Also I'd think that 'tame' strawberriess are more inferior. Because they are dometicated and probably lost a lot of genetic material due to... selective planting.

I don't really get where you're going with that, either. Less hearty, sure, but considering that the selective planting was done to improve upon flavour and productivity, I don't see why they would be inferior in those respects.
    Last edited by Worira; 2010-07-10 at 11:44 AM.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

11. - Top - End - #1241
    Troll in the Playground

No one who saw them up close lived to tell the tale, I take it?
    Oh no, some survive. They're just all gibbering madmen, too scarred to tell what they saw.

Savage strawberries: They are also on fire.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

12. - Top - End - #1242

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpina View Post
    I don't think I've ever eaten wild fruit. Or wild anything, at that.
    @_@ You've never gotten to go berrying?! Oh you poor dear. That's like, the number one redeeming thing of getting out of town and into the country for kids.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #1243

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    @_@ You've never gotten to go berrying?! Oh you poor dear. That's like, the number one redeeming thing of getting out of town and into the country for kids.
    My childhood was spent pretty much exclusively in the suburbs. So, yeah. I didn't realise I was missing out.

14. - Top - End - #1244

NecromancerGuy

My childhood was spent pretty much exclusively in the suburbs. So, yeah. I didn't realise I was missing out.
    Oh man. That stinks. The 'burbs are just so... gah... I'm sorry Scorps.
    Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #1245

I rather like the suburbs, personally. I'm probably in the minority.

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Titan in the Playground

Eh. Only if one believes that wild things are inherently bad or inferior to domesticated things.

I doubt many people that actually think believe that wolves are somehow inherently inferior to dogs. Superior in a number of ways, in fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    In what way does "wild" imply inferiority? Technically, it can mean a different species of strawberry, but really, it just means not farmed and cultivated. Generally seen as more natural and/or simpler. Which can have aspects of betterness, even.
    Quote Originally Posted by Worira View Post
    Yeah, I'm not getting the "wild=bad" thing either. Is this perhaps a connotation you're carrying over from Swedish?
    First of all, don't take anything that ends with [/rant] seriously.

But, if I have to explain, well, "wild", in this case, is used in the sense of "not (at this point my brain decides to shutdown the "moderately useful words" section) refined (I can't come up with a better word, but it's the result of selective breeding)". That, in turn, would imply that strawberries are better than wild strawberries, but the only thing that they are unambigiously better at is their size, and they might actually be less tasty sometimes.

Oh, and a comparison with dogs-wolves doesn't work especially well, since dogs are used for many tasks that wolves don't do, while woves are much better predators than dogs.
    Last edited by Teddy; 2010-07-10 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Stupid English has stupid wordings

Show

17. - Top - End - #1247

NecromancerGuy

I rather like the suburbs, personally. I'm probably in the minority.
    Oh, sure, they're ok places to dwell in, but most of us can't spend our time there without going off our gourds and liking things like Desperate Housewives.

Or doing things like this...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvmIz...eature=related
    Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #1248
    Firbolg in the Playground

Or going beserk with a shotgun despite having a driveway, swing set and a dog.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

19. - Top - End - #1249

Oh, sure, they're ok places to dwell in, but most of us can't spend our time there without going off our gourds and liking things like Desperate Housewives.
    I've lived in the suburbs most of my life, and I can't stand Desperate Housewives. Guess I'm just that awesome.

20. - Top - End - #1250

Eeek

Ther's a thunderstorm going on outside...
    I'm scared
    Peter by Derjuin
    NEXUS characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eadin by Akrim.elf

Catherine by Gulaghar:

21. - Top - End - #1251

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eadin View Post
    Eeek

Ther's a thunderstorm going on outside...
    I'm scared
    Really? Is it a particularly bad one? I find them quite comforting as long as it's not too much of a noise hazard due to the proximity of where the lightning's coming down.

I particularly like being able to hear the rain, actually makes me a combination of drowsy and in the mood for some snuggling. SO I guess my recommendation is find someone to curl up with.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2010-07-10 at 01:35 PM.
    Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #1252

Lot's of thunder and lightning...
    Rain is okay...
    and what makes it worse , I'm all alone at home
    Peter by Derjuin
    NEXUS characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eadin by Akrim.elf

Catherine by Gulaghar:

23. - Top - End - #1253

NecromancerGuy

Rain is okay...
    aww. :( That's never fun. I think it has to do with our primitive reptile component of the brain.

So we need someone to get this girl 50 ccs of hugs, stat!
    Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #1254
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm too far away.
    "'Intelligence' is really prolific in the world. So is stupidity. So often they occur in the same people." - Phaedra
    Pyrian's LiveJournal

25. - Top - End - #1255

my dog just jumped on my lap, she's scared too...
    at least I can cuddle her...

Edit: Thank god, it stopped...
    Last edited by Eadin; 2010-07-10 at 01:51 PM.
    Peter by Derjuin
    NEXUS characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eadin by Akrim.elf

Catherine by Gulaghar:

26. - Top - End - #1256

Rain is okay...
    Wow! At your place too?! Over here it's thundering loudly for about an hour now. Not a lot of rain, but a lot of noise though. This storm is bigger then I thought!

27. - Top - End - #1257

yeah!
    The worst just passed, but my dog is still scared so I think there's more to come...
    Peter by Derjuin
    NEXUS characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eadin by Akrim.elf

Catherine by Gulaghar:

28. - Top - End - #1258

We had a large explosion in the sky about half an hour ago. All three cats jumped into the air simultaneously. Was kind of a funny sight. ^^"

29. - Top - End - #1259

awww
    my dog went crazy too

glad it's over
    Peter by Derjuin
    NEXUS characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eadin by Akrim.elf

Catherine by Gulaghar:

30. - Top - End - #1260

Sorry to hear you were scared, I thought it was awesome.

I've went outside to jump around in the rain.