New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: A Paladin's Heart

Samson walks over to Aleksei, observing him work for a while before he speaks.

What stone is it that you choose to work in? And have you carved often?

2. - Top - End - #302
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aleksei looks up with a start. "Ah! Sorry, didn't notice you there...it's ruby. A good quality one, too...I've been cutting and inscribing gems for several years now, ever since I decided I needed a hobby. This one I got instead of gold from the paymaster of the Hussars, oh, four years ago? Not a bad piece, though it took quite a bit of work to cut it properly."

He holds it up to the light, showing off the brilliant sparkle of the facets.

"I think it's turning out nicely. Just working on a few extra details now."
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie

Thanks to Abardam for the dervish avatar!

3. - Top - End - #303

Samson admires the red gem, seeing it sparkle as the internally reflected light is shining out just a few facets.

It is amazing. It looks like a fire. An impressive craft indeed.

Samson sits, watching him work for a few more minutes, observing his hands and how they move across the gem.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aleksei smiles as he continues working, fingers moving with careful grace.

"I am glad you like it, Sir Samson, for it is a gift for you, as a fellow Chosen of Tyr and a new friend. The cutting is done...I have only to finish the engraving."

He shows Samson the face of the ruby he was working on, which displays a half-completed crest of Tyr.

"We are bound together by our faith, Sir Samson. I am honored to be your swordbrother, and glad to have your friendship."
    Last edited by Ryshan Ynrith; 2006-11-16 at 01:51 PM.
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie

5. - Top - End - #305

"HA! Thaet!" Owyn cried out with a triumphant grin, while Sir Rayvon shook his head and smiled good-naturedly. "It seems fortune favored you this time, Sir Owyn, though you certainly have skill as well.

The competition, for all its friendly intent, had been both ruthless and hotly contested. After the initial salvo as both knights successfully hit a small branch, targets quickly went from the ordinary and challenging to the difficult and outlandish. After Sir Owyn plucked a nearby flower from its vine with a flying arrowhead, skewered a leaf from its branch (pinning it to the tree behind it, through the hole provided by a convenient forked branch), and successfully imbedded a clothyard shaft into a knothole 60 feet in the air, Sir Rayvon began to take the contest a bit more seriously.

"Elves and their bows and arrows..." Rayvon muttered, spinning an arrow on his fingers while thinking.

"What was that? I didn't catch it. A knowing grin.

"The next shot is to hit a tree trunk, then to fire a second arrow to hit the first!" Rayvon's hands and fingers flew, two arrows flying in rapid succession. "Oh, good shot! Let me see... I have to do it as fast as you did, right? Great.... Ha! Alright, if that's how we're to play, that stripe of paint downrange!"

"...Wait, what? You can't hit that!" "Says you... and apparently, says I as well. Your shot, sir!" "You still hit the right tree, though, it was a fair shot... We're running out of targets! I know, we'll aim for this rock." "What, this one right here? Oh, this one, just after you've thrown it. Too bad you missed. My arms are longer, I'll give one a throw too. Heh. It seems that you're a better stone-thrower than I." "Three arrows in a breath, all into a tree." "Argh, a letter! Two out of three isn't bad, though..."

Rayvon grinned as he finally scored a point, then called the first impossible, or at least highly improbable, shot of the improptu tourney. "It seems my fingers are faster than yours, or at least my arms are shorter. This is another two-shot trick - to fire an arrow, then to hit that arrow with another midflight."

Owyn sort of shook his head. "For our next target, how about shooting down a stooping falcon, except we have to give it a few seconds before we can fire?" He waited patiently as Rayvon fired one arrow, then fumbled as he rushed the second shot to try to catch the first. "If we truly wish to do this, we should shoot each other's arrows. If you would be so kind?" Owyn nocked and half-drew his bow, then with a whirlwind motion spun his body around, drew, ducked slightly, and shattered the smaller clothyard shaft cleanly. "Once, I was in enemy territory. I was spotted as I defeated a sentry tower in order to let our infantry take positions on the ridge behind the main enemy encampment. They used falcons to deliver messages - Torm was with me that night." Rayvon missed the same shot, misjudging the other arrow's speed completely.

After a few more tough shots, the contest was settled over an apple tree, whereas Owyn and Rayvon plucked ripe apples from successively higher branches, Owyn's superior strength giving him the final advantage. The two returned with a few of their arrows, and many apples to share around the group. Owyn also gathered the flower which had first fallen, and presented it with a lighthearted grin to Manar. "A trophy, Dame Manar? Chivalry demands the blessings of a fair damsel over any true noble competition - though I'd wager you could certainly compete as well as any of the rest of us."
    Last edited by storybookknight; 2006-11-16 at 02:41 PM.

Currently DMing:
    In the Emperors' Hand

6. - Top - End - #306
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Rayvon smiled through it all. It was a great deal of fun thinking of more improbable shots. He started to wander, collecting stray arrows. "Very impressive O. We'll have to try again sometime, maybe your squire can hold the targets next time," he grinned widely, "I think our battle plans will involve you and I riding circles around our enemies, peppering them with arrows while the rest get up close."

7. - Top - End - #307

Owyn smiled and nodded. "If it proves necessary to engage at all. Often I have managed to prevent much loss of life by simply shooting those that stood a chance of catching me, or getting in my way."

Currently DMing:
    In the Emperors' Hand

8. - Top - End - #308

Manar accepts the trophy with a smile. "I am honored, gentle sir." Though I imagine if this is the norm, chivalry is going to get very old very quickly.... "Perhaps we can test our skills some other time. From what I have seen of the world, there are places to compete and there are places to enjoy, and at least at first glance this one appears to be one of the latter." She looks around, noticing the marks in the dirt from the sparring match and all the improbable places feathered with arrows as if for the first time. ".... make that appeared. Though I must admit, they give it an interesting touch."
    Exchange of Realities: For writers, for gamers, for those who want to be both. Check it out!

Rule #1: When in doubt, try to intimidate the army.

"And bring me some tea!" Tuyet avatar by me.

9. - Top - End - #309

After Manar took the flower, the older knight looked suddenly quite uncomfortable with his own gesture, and crossed his hands behind his back, shifting slightly from foot to foot. As Manar looked at the destruction wrought upon the small vale, Owyn followed her gaze, then let out a loudly barked "HA!". He moved to collect a few of the nearer arrows, putting those shafts that had not shattered away and stripping those that had of their heads and fletchings out of instinct. "I fear it is the way of old warriors like myself, to automatically assay the strengths of those I travel with. Relaxation does not come easily to me - I must confess to a slight anxiety as to the nature of our eventual quest. You say His Grace Balthor has been unable to meet with us recently... is he well?"

Currently DMing:
    In the Emperors' Hand

10. - Top - End - #310

Samson looks at the face of the gem, amazed to see the fine facets which adorn the ruby, and the symbol of Tyr.

Sir Aleksei... I .... I ...... I.......

Samson stammers for about thirty more seconds, and his cheeks seem to puff out a bit.

I thank you. I am the one who is honored by your company. You seem to be much more the veteran, and hearing your tales shall surely teach me many lessons.

11. - Top - End - #311

"The one chance I had to see him when this all began, he seemed to be doing well." Manar shrugs. "When he has time to see us, he'll see us. I trust him. Though I wonder what's keeping him so busy--somehow I doubt it's merely scheduling services for the next year...."
    Exchange of Realities: For writers, for gamers, for those who want to be both. Check it out!

12. - Top - End - #312
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aleksei chuckles slightly. "And I am sure you have tales to teach me, friend. Truth be told, this is the first time I have been further than a day's march from my country's borders. I've tried not to gawk like an uneducated farmer, but there is so much different here that I can barely keep up."

He gestures to Owyn, in the act of giving the flower to Manar. "He seems a kindred spirit, as a paladin, but I do not understand the 'chivalry' he speaks of, which seems to consume so much of his thoughts. He treats Dame Manar as though she were some delicate maid cloistered in her father's estate, not a warlady in service to the gods of Light. Is this usual in the southlands?"
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie

13. - Top - End - #313

Samson nods again, and then puts his hand on Aleksei's shoulder, before attempting to speak softly.

Truth be told, I'm not sure. Our monastery was all men, except for the woman who cooked. We all treated her well, cause she was cooking for us.

I have read some tales in books of chivalry, and I learned its code once. I figure courtesy and regard for a lady is only polite.

I'm sure it will all work itself out eventually. Or maybe it won't.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Malfrin

Catching something extra in Manar's tone, Malfrin sits up.

Have there been any strange things here in the city that might weigh heavily on Balthor's mind? Maybe there's something that he's afraid to tell even you. Or, um, does he have family here in the city?
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

15. - Top - End - #315
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Rayvon returned from collecting his arrows and overheard Malfrin. "I have a different idea. I don't think they're busy, I think they're giving us time to know each other. My guess is after they give us our mission we'll be busy for a long time and thrown into dangerous situations and knowing your comrades before hand will enable to work better as a team. Just a thought."

16. - Top - End - #316

Sir Rayvon, while that may be true, if there is some grave danger to the world that requires us uniting our talents, wouldn't we be better served by getting to the task immediately? The longer that sort of evil is allowed to fester, the more difficult it is to finally root out.

That said, we will be the stronger for having had this opportunity.

17. - Top - End - #317

Manar shrugs. "Giving us time to get a feel for each other makes sense.... I suppose it all hearkens back to trying to figure out why us. Either way.... d'you suppose we should be heading back now?"

...either way I think the answer to "Why us?", or more specifically "Why me?" is going to have a great deal of import... I guess I'd better get back to the whole team-building icebreaking thing, if I could just figure out how to do so...

18. - Top - End - #318
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

"Perhaps its not urgent. We'll know soon enough my friend. Manny's right, we should continue on our trek now," he smiled as he hopped onto Buddy.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Malfrin

Suppressing a groan that he knows he'd pay for later, Malfrin rises to shoulder his own pack, and follows Rayvon and Buddy.

Such an impressive group. Mighty warriors, exotic travellers, blink dogs. I thought that my sense of the street might be useful for them, but I guess I should'a known after this long with Owyn that not all paladins were head-in-the-clouds dreamers. I don't want to actually slow them down, if they get into trouble. They all seem genuinely...nice. Even the weird Mulhorandi guy - you get a sense of a - a really calm respect off of him. And Manar's just...wow.

Flashing a quick, uncertain smile at the others, Malfrin picks up another Cormyrian ballad with his whistling, and trudges off after Buddy's wagging tail.

Come along, Herald Owyn. Or do you need a nap after all that exertion?
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

20. - Top - End - #320

"Do you want to hold the targets for the next match? It can be arranged." Owyn finished taking care of his arrows, leaving the peaceful glade roughly as peaceful as he had found it, then caught up easily with long, nimble strides.

Perhaps another time, he'd remind Malfrin of the value of politeness to one's elders... but given the mood today and the wonderful weather, it didn't seem quite appropriate. How long had it been since he'd had such a chance to relax?

As he listened to Malfrin's song, a nostalgic look came over his face, and he quietly joined in with the harmony, whistling as he walked.

Currently DMing:
    In the Emperors' Hand

21. - Top - End - #321

Samson collected his belongings, and began to walk. He was moving slower than before though, clearly having exerted himself in the match.

Amun, I think you hit me someplace that Owyn struck me yesterday. I think I shall have a large bruise on my leg tomorrow.

Samson walked mostly normally, looking about, clearly enjoying the flatter terrain of the walk back.

22. - Top - End - #322

Manar joins the song with a lilting counterpoint, a bit of a bounce in her step as she walks with the others. Days like this are just so perfect...

23. - Top - End - #323
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aleksei carefully stows his gemcutting and engraving gear before lightly getting to his feet.

"A fine contest of marksmanship, my friends. I would much rather have you at my side than my foe's!"

He stretches a little bit and adjusts his pack before continuing to walk.
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie

24. - Top - End - #324
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

With a song in their ears, the group of paladins talked and enjoyed themselves as they hiked over the trail. Once it got rough, Owyn collected items from the others’ packs and loaded up himself and Malfrin, and the two jogged ahead. No one else felt inclined to follow their faster pace, so the rest of them continued on their way. Only Amun seemed to not entirely enjoy himself – he stayed quiet for the most part and watched every bush and tree as if it would ambush them. He relaxed for a short time after Samson prodded him gently, but he returned to his constant watchfulness in less than half an hour.

After a little over an hour, the group caught up with the squire and his master. Both were sweating, but Malfrin looked as if he was close to collapse. Owyn kept on him, pushing him more and more, but he waved the rest of the group to go on without them and winked at them as they passed.

Finally, in late afternoon, everyone but Malfrin and Owyn returned to the temple. They split up to clean for dinner and the evening. Manar finished quickly, and following a hunch, she found Aleksei grooming his mount in the stables. No one else was present – the stableboys always left paladins alone with their mounts. Part in respect, part in awe of that special relationship, and partly simply because paladins were special, called by a god, legendary in their own right, and the boys often felt overwhelmed by the strength of purpose these men and women carried with them.

As she approached, she could hear him talking quietly and the sound of a brush moving quickly over a horse’s flank. He looked up as she walked in and smiled.
    Last edited by Varen_Tai; 2006-11-29 at 03:43 PM.
    Similes are like metaphors.

25. - Top - End - #325

"Hey." Manar waves as she walks in. "You finding everything all right there?"

26. - Top - End - #326
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aleksei straightens as Manar approaches, giving Raisa a pat on the neck and a final brush. He seems happy enough to see her, but something in his eyes hints of discontent.

"Yes, this stable is well equipped. Almost the equal of the King's own in my homeland, and kept maintained too. Raisa is quite pleased with her accommodations."

He hesitates a moment, then presses on. "Why has His Grace put off our requests to meet with him? He has kept waiting no less than six highly-skilled champions of the gods, letting us sit by and waste time in idle pursuits. I have no malice towards a little downtime, but I am not convalescing, and neither am I waiting to be ordered. Tyr has commanded me, and yet I cannot comply fully. It is...distressing, to say the least. Is there nothing that can be done to expedite matters?"

He falls silent, aware that his manner was perhaps too forceful. Looking at the floor for a moment, he gathers himself again. "I mean no insult to you or your temple, but to let six paladins while away their time is truly squandering our potential."
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie

27. - Top - End - #327

"From what I've gathered, they want to get our measure before.... whatever it is we are supposed to be doing. I wasn't told much beyond the fact that I'd been chosen for greeting duty."

Manar sighs. ....and what would he say, I wonder...?

"I agree with you, though. It doesn't feel right, being here and not on duty. Usually, times like this when there was no crisis to resolve or evil to fight off or what have you, the brass'd assign me some misguided soul to bring to the light or something..."

28. - Top - End - #328
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aleksei nods, motioning for Manar to follow him as he goes to put away Raisa's tack.

"I do not like this, Manar, but I fear there is nothing we can do. I have dealt with the administration of a few temples, and often even acts of the gods are not enough to get them moving quickly. I wish only that there was something useful I could do while I wait..."

He begins cleaning and carefully settling the tack, a look of discontent on his face.
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie

29. - Top - End - #329

"I agree. Anything's better than this." Manar sighs, idly brushing specks of dust off of a bridle hung near where she leans on the wall. "If the situation were that you were between assignments, so to speak, what would you be doing right now? I'm sure if we put our heads together, we can come up with something that should suffice until we get word from on high."

30. - Top - End - #330
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aleksei scratches the back of his neck, pondering. "Well...truth be told, I haven't had a situation like this come up since I passed my Trial. Before, when I has in the Hussars, I would carve gems and gamble with the rest of my comrades. Since I've been Chosen, the only time I have had nothing to do was when I got hurt bad by a group of minotaurs in the mountains...the locals didn't have a priest, so I was out of commission for about a week. Other then that, I have followed the orders of Tyr, and he has led me to where I am needed.

However, I suppose I might do something...perhaps I could offer to train your acolytes? It would be something of use, for I have fought against man and beast for more than a decade now, in battles full of blood. I could show those willing to learn a few tricks and basics to keep them alive in this cruel world."

Aleksei's eyebrows raise as he considers his options, slowly tapping the ring on his hand with his thumb.
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie
    The cake is a lie