New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Progeny of the Overlord IC

K'chat'ka relaxes somewhat upon seeing his companions at the cave entrance. He lets himself down from the tree and approaches them, speaking softly. "There are more of those creatures somewhere out in the forest. Look," he says, pointing to the trail. "These are the types of tracks those things we killed in the cave would make, judging from their feet. And this looks just like them, but quite a bit bigger. It appears that there's only one of the big ones, but I can't say exactly how many of the smaller ones are accompanying it. Oh, and there are also a number of those big spiders with them." He shudders. "The tracks lead off that way," he says, pointing, "so that's the direction they'll most likely come from when they return."
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Don't worry, K'Chat'ka, we won't let the bugs bite. Maybe you could find us a campsite near here, since we're not staying in the cave?"
    Re : Titan bloodline pixies...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    It sounds great until you think about how the bloodline was created.
    Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post
    giggity giggity
    More like ouchity, ripity, that-don't-fitity.
    And I thought half-halfling was bad.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

"There was a big nest inside, too. The less we have to deal with them, the better.. I wouldn't mind holing up here, if we knew how many we were dealing with, and I could lay down a magical alarm to alert us if anything entered the cave. But since you seem decidedly skittish over this, maybe you'd have a better suggestion as to where we could find shelter? Also, does anyone know where in the nine hells we are?", Dagon finishes, staring out at the trees. After receiving any answers, he adds, "Oh, K'Chat'Ka. We found this axe inside, near the big nest. It's definitely magical, would it be any improvement over the gear you already carry?", extending the dwarven waraxe toward the Thri-Keen.
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

4. - Top - End - #184
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Naerwell smiles. "If I knew where we were, I would have enlightened you already. I think we can all agree that we did not arrive at our intended destination. The most we can hope is that we aren't more than a few miles away. I believe we were looking for a tower, so if we can find some high-ground, we may just be in luck."

He gestures at K'chat'ka. "I'm with him on this one, though. It's better to be too cautious regarding a foe than treat it lightly. We may have no challenge in these creatures, but to underestimate them could be fatal. I say we move and cover our tracks, get to higher ground, and set up camp." He gazes up at the canopy, puzzling. "Though, I do welcome the presence of these trees. We would be wise to keep our campsite to an area not easily seen."
    Thank you for noting this notice. Your noting this notice has been noticed and noted.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Troll in the Playground

K'chat'ka extends a hand to grasp the haft of the waraxe. "I'm more familiar with larger weapons, but it really depends on the enchantment." He takes a few practice swings, feeling the weight and balance. His head tilts thoughtfully. "This would probably be better in someone else's hands."

"As to a campsite, we should be safe enough here as long as we stay alert. If we do remain here, we should set an ambush and prepare an escape route in case things go badly."
    Last edited by mangosta71; 2010-07-25 at 02:32 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

"Even with this 'Mother' out and about? What's the difference between being inside the caves, and being here at the mouth of them? Aside from the fact that I could lay an Alarm spell on the front door of the caves, and know whenever something comes in, of course.", Dagon asks, partially confrontational and partially honestly curious. Camping was never really a priority, when one had army tents to stay in during long campaigns. The caves here seemed defensible, much moreso than staying out in this forest, but he suspected - hoped - that someone knew more about staying outdoors than he did, and that there was somewhere nearby that would be just as defensible, and more comfortable as well.

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

"Given that we don't know where we are, the cave could be useful as a base and shelter.". K'chat'ka's mandibles and antennae twitch. "Once it's aired out, anyway. However, if we're inside the cave when those things come back, we'll have to fight past them if we need to retreat. I suggest ambushing the creatures here among the rocks if we want to secure the cave. Out here, we have a chance to run if there are too many of them." He glances at Dagon curiously. "How large an area can you ward with that spell?"
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

"True. I'd rather not lock ourselves into a corner if we don't have to.. but the cave is a good starting point. My Alarm spell covers a twenty-foot radius from its center point, and should last roughly ten hours. I don't have it prepared today specifically, but my connection with my scythe will let me cast one spell regardless of preparation. It would set off an alarm any time something the size of a cat or larger passes through the area, either aloud so everyone could hear it, or a mental blip that would wake me up, so I could wake you all without letting on that we're here. So, easily large enough to cover the cave's entrance and then some. You're right, though, in that an ambush from outside the cave would leave us in a better position, if this 'Mother' turns out to be stronger than we expected. And yes, I'd want to see the webs removed as well, I would find it easier to concentrate and prepare spells if I felt a little more comfortable there."

While he explains the rough details of his spell to K'Chat'Ka, he turns over his prepared spells in his mind, finding few that would be of direct help in this situation. Casting that thought aside, he scans the outside area of the cave, in an attempt to get some idea of any good ambush points where they could wait for their targets to arrive.
    Last edited by Quietus; 2010-07-26 at 10:50 AM.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Orc in the Playground

Vittari steps out of the cave entrance into the night air for the first time.
    "Well, K'chat'ka, in this environment, I'll defer to your expertise - though it would be nice if we could get some rest - preferably eight hours."
    Vittari shivers a moment as the brisk night air washes over him. "I suppose a fire is outside the question. At least for the moment. I'm afraid I have nothing prepared to assist in an ambush, at least until the time to strike. I have a silence, but the mere act of casting it may give away our position anyway."
    eez good day to make boom, yes? - docktor boom

10. - Top - End - #190
    Dwarf in the Playground

*sigh* well if no one else is going to.....

Aldrick takes his bed roll, finds a nice, dry patch of ground under a tree close to the cave mouth, and proceeds to sweep out the area. Once the brush, twigs and debris are suitably clear, he lays down the bedroll and crawls in.

"I'm going to examine the insides of my eyes for a while, yell or something if the mother shows up...."
    Last edited by veovius; 2010-08-02 at 10:05 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    giggity giggity

11. - Top - End - #191
    Troll in the Playground

K'chat'ka points out places for the rest of the group to bed down that will offer at least some concealment, then leads Dagon along the trail about a hundred yards to place his spell. "If it just awakens you, this should be far enough to give you time to get everyone else up. It's most likely that they'll return by the same route they followed when they left, but I'll be out watching in case they come from a different direction." He rounds everyone up after they return to the camp site. "Those things will probably be back before dawn. This close to the lair, coming back from a hunt, they'll be at their least alert. We can't hide what we did inside the cave, so we'll have to spring our ambush before they get inside. Aldrick has a good spot. The rest of you should stay close and attack together. I'll come in on their flank." K'chat'ka glances around the forest. "Quite likely from above."
    Last edited by mangosta71; 2010-08-08 at 02:50 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Looking around at where K'Chat'Ka had lead him, Dagon frowns, concerned. "You're certain they'll come back in this way, are you? This spell is handy, certainly, but is by no means foolproof. It works best when there's a proper bottleneck to force them through, and.. well, spiders can go about anywhere they want. But if you're certain, then I'll defer to your expertise. I think we would be prudent to still keep a watch, however, in case our targets come in from another direction."

Assuming K'Chat'Ka confirms his confidence on this spot, then Dagon nods, moving to where he'd pointed out and driving the butt of his scythe into the ground. Drawing a tiny bell attached to thin silver wire from his spell component pouch, he wraps the wire around the blade carefully, speaking arcane phrases aloud. Once finished, he gives the bell a light flick, producing a sound much deeper than one would expect from such a small bell, and a resonating vibration in his and K'Chat'Ka's chests. "There.", he says, as the last of the bell's tones fade into the night, "It is done. If you need come through this area, speak Lord Thessius' name aloud before you do so, and you won't set off the alarm. The distance is a little risky, so I've set it to notify me mentally, which will also let us keep the element of surprise."

Spoiler
    Show
    Alarm is cast via my Arcane Bond ability, allowing me to cast one spell in a day that I haven't prepared beforehand as long as I have my scythe at hand.
    Last edited by Quietus; 2010-08-07 at 09:11 AM.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Naerwell looks around to find a spot where he will be well hidden to rest. He guides his dog to a resting spot within 30 feet.

Spoiler
    Show
    Stealth (1d20+21)[38]
    Thank you for noting this notice. Your noting this notice has been noticed and noted.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Bugbear in the Playground

As they head the hundred yards away from the camp, K'chat'ka, like Ness before him, can see that the trees further beyond this point have thin, barely discernible webs between them.

With the spell cast, and K'chat'ka keeping watch, the rest of the group spend the night upon the hard ground. Many of you are revisited with nightmares of the strange experience, others dream of your Overlord, surrounded by the enemy, wounded and dripping the last of his life's blood upon the ground, eyes searching wildly as he shouts out your name, asking where you are.

K'chat'ka himself has other things that creep uneasily into his mind as he keeps watch. Every large gust of wind causes the branches above to move against each other, sometimes gusts are large enough that a small twig falls to the ground, causing the thri-kreen to start. However, ultimately it seems that the predator's cave with it's smell of death and the webs surrounding it proves a wise resting spot, and faintly, he can see the sun's light begin to penetrate the forest, however the canopy above still keeps the light dim to you upon the ground.

As you all begin to wake, you cannot help but think, the spiders haven't returned.
    Let's Play: Pokemon Leaf Green (Nuzlocke)
    Let's Play: LIMBO
    Let's Play: Home [Complete]
    Let's Play: Cthulhu Saves the World [Complete]
    GM of the Yorkton Gamer Guild at:
    Pink Ameiko Kaijitsu Avatar by A Rainy Knight
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Groaning as he wakes, Dagon grasps his head in his hands, his brain throbbing as it tries to grasp the senselessness of the images that are no more easily remembered now, after dreaming about them, than they were the previous day right after they'd happened. Beneath his head, which had lay against Ness's flank as a makeshift pillow, he can feel the deep, thrumming vibrations of his companion growling in her sleep, and he props himself up, gently running a hand across her back to calm her down. Slowly, she turns her head to Dagon, eyes flickering open as she gives a great yawn, baring her sharp, dangerous teeth. "How many times do I have to tell you - I am no dog, do not treat me like one.", Ness growls, prompting a roll of Dagon's eyes as he ceases trying to calm her. "What, would you rather I wake you?", he asks, rolling up a sleeve and showing a few light scars. "Last time I tried that, you nearly took my arm off. I can't concentrate to regain spells while you're having bad dreams, you know that. And I thought we weren't going to let on that you could talk?", he adds, that last quiet enough that only she could hear him. Her only response is a soft snort, as if to say, 'no point now..'

16. - Top - End - #196
    Troll in the Playground

As the rest of the group begins to stir, K'chat'ka stops patrolling the perimeter of the camp site. He strides to the largest tree he can see and begins to climb, hoping to get a view above the forest canopy.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #197
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Naerwell looks around, seeing that K'chat'ka is still standing watch. He stretches and begins to gather belongings from his hiding place and repacking them in his dog's pack.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Dwarf in the Playground

As Aldrick stirs, he works the kinks out of his back from sleeping on the ground. "There's got to be a simple "feather bed" spell I can jumble out.....Someone must have invented one by now," he mumbles. After repacking his gear, he looks up at K'Chat'ka. "Any sign of civilization from up there?"

He goes through his morning routine, recalling what specific gestures and grunts would achieve the effects he figured he might need today. Recalling the trouble he had with the assassin, he went through the motions for a different spell.

Spoiler
    Show
    Aldrick prepares Glitterdust and Grease for today.
    Spoiler
    Show
    giggity giggity

19. - Top - End - #199

K'chat'ka:
    Spoiler
    Show
    With ease you climb near the top of the canopy, you've luckily chosen a tree a bit taller than others, and see that a sea of green spreads out before you, in the distance a flock of birds fly through the sky as the sun spreads it's bright warmth upon the world whilst it makes a lazy ascent. After a moment to take in this scene, you try to focus and spot something that might tell you the lay of the land and a direction to travel. To the far north, travelling from east to west, you can see lies a mountain range which is skirted by the forest. To the West and South, the Forest continues for a very long distance as well. However to the East, you see that the forest gets scarcer, and eventually breaks into plains. You figure that there's only 10-12 miles between where you stand and this open area.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #200
    Troll in the Playground

K'chat'ka scurries down the tree. "No signs of civilization as far as I could see in any direction. Our best bet is probably to the east. At least we can get out of this cursed forest in a couple of hours if we head that way. What I wouldn't give to be back in the desert..."

He digs some bread and dried fish out of his pack for a quick breakfast and continues to patrol around the campsite while the rest of the group makes ready.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Finding a secluded place to sit, Dagon nods to Ness, saying, "Happy hunting.", and with that, the worg wanders off to feed herself. Content to slowly nibble away at one of the high-protein nutrition bars he'd brought, Dagon pulls his spellbook from his bag, and pores over the pages within. Trying to pull together a cohesive list of what would be useful - in this environment, he suspects much of what he'd been prepared for within the castle's walls is not particularly likely to be common, so he prepares for as general a day as he can, making a mental note to pick up some more general-use third level spells when he is able to. While he studies his Wizard spells, he lets his mind remain open to Ness's thoughts, and to the arcane in general, recharging his more fluid spellcasting in the process.

Once his spells for the day are prepared (assuming he isn't interrupted), he stands, and rejoins the rest of the group. Once everyone is gathered and Ness is back from hunting, he turns his attention to K'Chat'Ka, asking, "So what sort of situation are we looking at?"

22. - Top - End - #202
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Naerwell glances around lazily. "The desert? I haven't had many good experiences in deserts, but with someone who likes them so much, my experience could be different, I suppose..."

"Anyway, knowing the dangers of this forest, I would also vote that we get out as soon as possible. Let's just hope those spiders aren't smart enough to guess our course of action. Assuming they even know we're here." He finishes gathering the rest of his gear, and looks around to the rest of the party to see how ready they are to get marching.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Dwarf in the Playground

As the group gets ready to move, Aldrick tucks his guisarme under his arm, moving the front tip in a continous pattern to disrupt any web in his path.
    Spoiler
    Show
    giggity giggity

24. - Top - End - #204

((Part of me wants to punish you for sending your familiar off alone in what I've been personally dubbing the 'forest of evil things'))
    Ness:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Heading the hundred yards or so to where the webs begin, Ness is able to see that some small animals have gotten caught within the webs, some struggling even now, others giving up, others having gotten themselves more entangled until the point where they can't move at all whilst they've tried to escape. A pheasant, plus three chicks, an old rabbit, and a large beetle of some type make a suitable breakfast for the worg. However there is something peculiar about them. Something darker in their colouring, stronger in their frame than normal. The rabbit tries to lash out with surprisingly sharp teeth before it's end.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

((Part of me was half expecting something like that, actually. That was partly to see what would happen, and more simply because it seems like how the dynamic between those two would work. =P))

Her appetite sated, Ness comes trotting back to the group, she overhears Naerwell's suggestion of getting out of the forest, and sits quietly on the ground next to Dagon. "Yes.", she answers, "There's something wrong about this forest. The animals here taste strange, their meat is tough. I haven't tasted anything like them, and I don't like it. We should be careful, I'm betting there's things worse than spiders out here, if even rabbits have to be that tough." Her suggestions get a raised eyebrow from Dagon, but as she knows the outdoors of the material plane better than he does, he says nothing, trusting her judgement.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Orc in the Playground

Vittari wakes mumbling something about some thrice cursed rock that always seems to find itself in the middle of his back, no matter how much turning is done. The aasimar digs for his spellbook and while studying he sends his hawk upwards to see if there are any large geographic features or anything else in the area.

Once finished with morning preparations, Vittari packs up and pulls out some jerky rations, eating on the go, preferring not to make the others wait any longer due to the few extra minutes of sleep that were grasped at, but ultimately unobtained.
    Seeing Dagon take point of the group, "East it is, I guess. I'll keep the rearguard."

27. - Top - End - #207
    Orc in the Playground

Vittari pauses a moment, swallowing a big hunk of meat. "Sorry, a moment before we begin? That bite still burns a touch" Vittari chants a small prayer to his god, requesting that the deity hammer out the brittle slag in the veins (Lesser Restoration on self for (1d4)[4] points).

28. - Top - End - #208
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Naerwell's stomach grumbles at seeing Vittari eating, and he pulls out some of his own rations. He mounts up and gets ready to march.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

With his spells refreshed for the day, Dagon feels slightly more at ease, though the fact that they still have absolutely no idea where they are sits heavily on him. With his scythe held ready to slice through any webs encountered on the way, the blade's weight a comfortable and familiar presence, he faces toward the east, Ness coming up alongside him. "If everyone's ready, let's get moving. The sooner we find someplace inhabited by more than spiders and unusually tough game animals, the sooner we can get some answers. Ness, near the group, I want your eyes, ears, and nose ready to pick up anything that we ought to know about."