New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Chronicle of the D War: A Story from the Playground

Lix Lorn have you forgotten. Is anyone still working on this. Double post to get people's remenbering.

\/ Thank you.
    Last edited by D_Lord; 2010-07-25 at 03:14 PM.

I fought you all!!!!!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    *Hugs for breaking the awkardness!YAAY!
    ...Realizes he's hugging a physical manifestation of evil...*
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins View Post
    He's adorable, but he's a threat to all who call the universe home. He must be stopped, no matter the cost
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Drake View Post
    "Evil, evil, death, stab, kill, cheese, moon-stuff, mice, evil, evil mice..."

Musings Pulled from D_Lord's head.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Firbolg in the Playground

Sorry guys, I've been sort of busy with a side project and suffering from writer's block. I've been considering cutting off this project, but for Viola's sake, I will finish it. Expect the next update sometime in the next week.

Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

I make MtG cards. My portfolio

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

If you need help writing a big fight scene Blue, I offer my help. (Or help when I can get on next)
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

I'm still here, but I'm lazy drowning in things to do. And lazy.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

5. - Top - End - #65

Apologies to Jeudi for losing the PM you sent me. (How could I have been so careless? )
    But thank you for the ideas you provided.

The Rage of War
    Spoiler
    Show

The gray sea of clones flooded over the barren battlefield, rending the peaceful air with cries of battle. There were more of them than I had imagined possible. I raised my voice to rally the Playground, but to no avail. They were already caught in the chaos.

Grim Ranger was surrounded by a horde of clones. His sword worked tirelessly, hacking and slashing at the gray ones. One by one, they fell to his sword, but still they kept on coming. Tirelessly, he fought his way through the horde, seeking the Dark Lord.

The Randomizer hovered in the air, cackling gleefully as he launched wave after wave of arcane fire at the gray hordes. Multitudes of clones fell to his arcane might, as did many who were fighting against the clones, but the being of destruction paid them no heed as he continued to wreak his carnage.

Lord of Kobolds had erected a force shelter with his magic in the middle of the battlefield, and some Brethren archers and mages took cover behind his wall of force, sniping at the clones around them.

I scanned the battlefield at my vantage point in the air, shielded by a prismatic sphere. The battle was hopeless, I knew. Our warriors were holding their own for the moment, but for how long? We were hopelessly outnumbered and without a proper plan. I prepared to launch the signal for retreat, when I spotted D_Lord among the gray clones. Standing beside him was a young girl, playing away on her viola.
    Viola? What was she doing here? Overtaken by curiosity, I left the safety of my prismatic sphere and flew down, spells at the ready.
    D_Lord was waiting for me. I found myself paralyzed, and falling out of the air to land at his feet.
    The day has finally come, boy. You shall oppose me no more.
    I lay helpless as the Dark Lord laid his hands on me and began to drain my energy. Viola still stood beside him, staring defiantly at me, not for a moment breaking from her song. This was it, we had lost…
    There was a blinding flash of light, and I heard D_Lord groan and curse. I felt the spell being broken from me, and I staggered to my feet. A young man was throwing star-shaped bolts of light at D_Lord, and the elder evil was driven back with every hit. I took a moment to regain my focus before firing off a spell of my own, a blast of multicolored light that drove the weakened Dark Lord to his knees.
    The young man prepared to finish the Dark Lord with another spell…
    But the Dark Lord had vanished, as had Viola.

They reappeared in the midst of a group of clones, some distance away from the fighting. D_Lord surrounded himself with fell energy, healing his wounds. You stay here, Viola. You will be a hindrance in the fighting.
    Viola curled her lip in protest. I will not! I can sing, and dance, and play the viola…
    But D_Lord had already vanished again.

He reappeared elsewhere on the battlefield, not far from where Grim Ranger was fighting. The grim-faced warrior saw the Dark Lord appearing, and smiled. D_Lord. Long have I waited for this day, when I could cross swords with you. En garde! He raised his sword and charged.
    With merely a thought, D_Lord knocked him prone. You, a common fighter, would presume to take down the King of the Gray alone? I will not waste my time on you. The Dark Lord disappeared again.
    A dozen clones were charging toward Grim, and he knew that he could not rise to his feet in time to defend himself.

I turned to regard the mysterious young man before me. Thank you, sir. You saved my life back there…
    My name is Recaiden. The youth’s eyes did not soften. No time to rest now, let’s find that hellspawn before he can spread his evil any further.

Fred the Fighter saw Grim Ranger going down, and the clones beginning to swarm upon him. He launched himself upon the clones like a thunderbolt, hacking and slicing. When all the clones in the immediate area were slain, he stooped to pull the fallen warrior to his feet.
    You crazy fool, what were you thinking, trying to take on the Dark Lord alone?

The Randomizer was still demolishing wave after wave of the attackers with arcane fire, never seeming to tire, when the Dark Lord appeared before him.
    Randomizer, my friend. Why are you doing this? You know that I have nothing but respect for you. I have ever been gracious to you, why have you turned against me?
    A blast of arcane energy hit D_Lord square in the chest.
    Because I do whatever the heck I feel like.

I had taken to the air again, and could see that our situation was desperate. There are too many of them. We have to retreat.
    What, and let that vile scum win? Recaiden’s eyes blazed with hatred.
    We have no choice. We cannot win today. I will not allow all these brave soldiers to perish needlessly here.
    Ignoring Recaiden’s protests, I shot the signal for retreat into the sky.

Seeing the signal, Lord of Kobolds teleported away from the battle, back into the Brethren sanctuary. To me, Brethren! One by one, the members of the Brethren were transported away from the fighting to the kobold sorcerer’s side.

Fred and Grim Ranger stood back to back, fending off the endless clone army that surrounded them.
    Grim, this is just a temporary truce until D_Lord is defeated.
    Grim smiled. Not even.
    Fred turned just in time to see Grim swinging his sword at him. He deflected the attack with his axe just in time, but was knocked back into the ranks of the clones, who fell upon him.
    You treacherous snake!…
    But Grim Ranger had vanished, called out of the battle by Lord of Kobolds’s spell.

D_Lord and Randomizer dueled in the sky, their epic magics casting brilliant shadows over the battlefield.
    Look at that. Your little troops are running away. They fear me!
    They may fear you, but I do not.
    The Randomizer’s arcane fire fused with D_Lord’s fell energy, creating a massive explosion in the air.

Fred cursed as he fought his way through the hordes of gray clones. Grim Ranger, you two-faced scoundrel, I’ll put my axe in your face if it’s the last thing I do. He stumbled out of the battlefield and collapsed, drained and heavily wounded.

Recaiden and I saw Fred fall. I threw up a quick ward to keep the hordes at bay, while Recaiden laid hands on Fred, chanting an invocation to heal his wounds. The fighter rose to his feet and fell into the retreating ranks.

D_Lord saw the soldiers retreating from the battle, and was maddened to see how few casualties there were. He dearly wished he could annihilate them all with a hellball, but his foe was too strong, would not let him get away. The hordes, slowed by the wards cast by the Playground’s wizards, were unable to pursue the retreating ranks.
    Lost your prey, have you? the Randomizer taunted as he deflected another of D_Lord’s attacks.
    Of what significance is that? This battle is mine this day!
    It is indeed. Congratulations, D_Lord. Enjoy the hundred square yards of the Playground you’ve rightfully won! Hahahahahaha!
    The Randomizer vanished, leaving the Dark Lord with his clone horde—and a young violist—on the desolated battlefield.

Love wins. S'agapo.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Bugbear in the Playground

*Claps*

excellent work of being order out of chaos.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Woooooow. I really like your characterisation of the Randomizer.
    (HE JUST NEEDS HUGS!)
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

8. - Top - End - #68

Next chapter time.

One who Knows
    Spoiler
    Show
    Somewhere, in the skies above the land called the Playground, a blimp flies. Aboard it, a figure wearing a black robe sits at the controls, watching the clouds past by. Leaning back in the chair, framed by a white mask, blue and red eyes half close themselves.

Behind those eyes, thoughts race, running in circles. To stand against him, or to let him do what he does. While what he desired was destruction, I have already fought him, and to always oppose him is not what I do. But, then again, the people who would surely die if no could strike him with his weakness, which none of this people know.

Alone, left to his thought, The Phantom thinks, letting the world past by.

Just as you like it Blue.

9. - Top - End - #69

Have I caused this thread to go dead?

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

It's probably just that Blue's busy.

11. - Top - End - #71

I was actually waiting for some more responses. Are you guys still interested?

Love wins. S'agapo.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, definitely!

13. - Top - End - #73

I'm still waiting, I even held off my attack for this.

\/ I will not wait forever to attack.
    Last edited by D_Lord; 2010-08-05 at 07:49 PM.

I fought you all!!!!!
    Spoiler
    Show
    He's adorable, but he's a threat to all who call the universe home. He must be stopped, no matter the cost

14. - Top - End - #74

Quote Originally Posted by D_Lord View Post
    I'm still waiting, I even held off my attack for this.
    ... Um... Okay... I will be finished soon. Yeah. Soon.

((There will be at least a few more chapters before the story is finished, and at the rate this is going, probably a couple of months. But then again, I'm not in a hurry for you to attempt to conquer the Playground again, so...))

Love wins. S'agapo.

15. - Top - End - #75

It appears that the thread has been taken down, which will make my task a slight bit more difficult. Nevertheless, here is another chapter.

Correspondence
    Spoiler
    Show

I sat in my tower, poring over my charts and spellbooks. There was much to do after the events of the day: battle plans to lay, spells to research, secrets to uncover. The Dark Lord had won one victory, and I was not planning to give him another.

But as I tried to concentrate on the necessary studies and preparations, another image persisted in my mind: Viola standing by the side of D_Lord. I tried to push the image aside, but Viola’s defiant gaze haunted me, would not give me rest.

I did not know Viola very well, but I knew that she did not belong with D_Lord. Something inside me told me to write to her, to try to persuade her to turn back.

This was madness, I knew. I knew absolutely nothing about her situation; in fact, I could not remember ever speaking to her before. There was important work to do, and there was little practical good that converting a single renegade could accomplish for the cause.

In spite of the protests of my rational mind, I took up the pen and began writing, as if by dictation.

Dear Viola,

I deeply regret that the present circumstances do not allow us to meet face to face. There is much about which I wish to speak with you that cannot be conveyed through a letter. I can only hope that we will be able to meet in better days.

Viola, I do not know why you have chosen to serve the Dark Lord. What do you hope to gain by turning yourself against the Playground that we all love? Do you think that D_Lord will remember you when he has achieved his goal of subjugating the Playground? Will he not toss you aside like a rag doll once you are no longer useful to his goals?

You do not belong with D_Lord. You belong with the Playground. We have need for your song and cheer in these dark days. Please, Viola, I beg you to reconsider your decision.

With love,
    Blue Ghost

Love wins. S'agapo.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Ooooh.... sweet. I'd say very IC, but... if you WEREN'T IC as yourself, that would be bad. XD

17. - Top - End - #77

Lack of discussion is slightly disappointing, but as long as I have one loyal reader, I will continue. I still have one loyal reader, don't I?

Midnight Rendezvous
    Spoiler
    Show

All was silent except for the soft rippling of the ocean waves, bathed in the pale glow of moonlight. A figure could be seen moving along the beach, a young girl awkwardly wielding a sword.

Viola resented how D_Lord had cast her aside once the fighting had begun, but she knew that there was little she could do in a combat situation. In the midst of the raging war, she felt like a second wheel on a unicycle. So she had picked out a longsword from the Dark Lord’s armory, and begun to practice in solitude.

Allegretto, mezzo piano, this wasn’t as hard as she thought it would be. Crescendo, accelerando, she was starting to get the hang of this. Rallentando, da capo—

CLANG.

Her last stroke crashed on metal, sending a shooting pain through her arm. Standing before her was a young man wielding a heavy mace, his eyes cold and steely.

It’s rather late to be out alone, Viola, especially with a war on.

Viola broke into a grin. Recaiden! It’s been such a long time! What— She barely had time to duck when the youth swung at her with his mace.

She quickly swung herself into a defensive stance. Recaiden? What’s the matter with you?

Don’t look at me like that. You betrayed me first. Recaiden came at her again, fast and hard. No one who sells out to the enemies of the Playground is a friend of mine!

Viola dodged to the side. But D_Lord is my— She sidestepped another blow. I’m sure we can talk this over— Another swing forced her to jump back, the sea brushing against her heel. If we’re going to duel to the death, can’t you at least wait until I’m ready?

Seeing that her adversary wasn’t about to let up, Viola took the offensive. Vivace, sforzando, she feinted and lunged. Her aggressiveness took Recaiden by surprise. Touché! Recaiden staggered back, his free hand clasped on his shoulder.

Viola resumed her defensive stance. Okay, Recaiden, now will you talk reasonably?

Recaiden’s shot Viola a murderous glare. He pronounced an invocation to the heavens, and a searing beam of light fell from the sky, striking Viola head-on and setting her clothes on fire. The girl did not have time to protest how unfair this was, and dove into the water to douse the flames.

Fortunately, Viola was a good swimmer. As she treaded water, her anger against Recaiden began to boil. What right did he have to try and kill her, simply because of the company she kept? Why did everyone care so much, anyway? She glanced back at Recaiden, who was still standing on the shore, preparing another incantation…

Suddenly, the water erupted in a burst of light. A colossal creature, all slime and tentacles, rose out of the depths… or did it fall from the sky? Viola did not have time to contemplate this before the monster grabbed her ankle and began to pull her under. She looked to Recaiden, but the youth’s cold gaze showed no mercy. Viola struggled wildly to break free of the creature’s grasp, but it was too strong. She felt herself going under, and all went black.

When Viola awoke, she was back in her own bed in D_Lord’s fortress. She tried to rise, but D_Lord, who was standing over her, pushed her back down. He administered some warm and sweet drink to her, which she accepted gratefully.

The dark being spoke, his eerie, piercing voice unusually soft. Lie still. Your strength is not recovered yet. You are one lucky lass. If I had arrived one minute later, that cleric and his octopus would have finished you off. Who was that guy anyway?

Viola hesitated. Everything was coming back to her: the duel on the beach, Recaiden’s cold, piercing eyes, his voice echoing in her mind: No one who sells out to the enemies of the Playground is a friend of mine!

Oh, just a friend of mine. He was mad at me for something or other.

D_Lord chuckled. Some friend you have there, girl. Took a good chunk of my power to get him off your back. Clerics of light are so bothersome, and he was even stronger than the typical.

Viola frowned. If it was so bothersome for you, why did you go to all that trouble to rescue me? I can’t even do anything for you in the war effort.

The elder evil stumbled slightly at this inquiry. Well, you are the only one who has ever served me willingly. It wouldn’t be good for… morale if I let you be killed. Would kill my chances at getting more loyal minions. You understand, do you not?

A slight mischievous smile of triumph played around Viola’s lips. Yes, D_Lord. I understand.

Love wins. S'agapo.

18. - Top - End - #78

Yes you do, but I'm still ploting your downfall. Also Via will live
    Last edited by D_Lord; 2010-08-19 at 09:35 PM.

I fought you all!!!!!
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #79

You have me too. I watched the D Wars when they were going on, and I watch this too.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

I'm still here! And I'm loyal!

21. - Top - End - #81

I was hoping to get some more comments on this chapter...

Love wins. S'agapo.

22. - Top - End - #82

Oh, well I think it was well written, and it intro's a major character into the story.

At least I think Recaiden is a major character.

23. - Top - End - #83

I like it because it helps show that if you work with me. I'll not backstap you. And it was fun to remenber all this.

Also not much longer until the attack.

I fought you all!!!!!
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by D_Lord View Post
    Also not much longer until the attack.
    You realise, that only alerts us, and allows us to prepare.

Of course, if the Big Bad says it, then it gives you time to fear and worry and argue with your allies and...
    Okay, your tactics are sound.

25. - Top - End - #85

Blue are you still working with on this even with most schools going?

I fought you all!!!!!
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #86

I was going to abandon this project, since its purpose has mostly already been served. But since D_Lord seems still to be in support of it, I'll try to continue. There may be a few more meaningful things to say.

Love wins. S'agapo.

27. - Top - End - #87

Correspondence Part 2
    Spoiler
    Show

Dear Blue,

Hi! How are you? Pleasant weather we've been having lately, isn't it?

Thanks for writing. I really appreciate it. Not many people think to write to me, you know? Most of them prefer to speak face to face...

I appreciate your concern, but I'm happy where I am. You shouldn't judge D_Lord too rashly. I mean, I know he's the embodiment of evil and all, but he's actually a pretty nice guy when you get to know him. He bakes the most wonderful cookies for me, don't you know? He reached out to me when I was down. No one on the other side has done that.

I don't like this stupid war any more than you do, and I hope it will be over soon. But is it really so black and white as you think? There's good and evil on both sides here. I mean, you ally yourself with the Randomizer, those weird Brethren people, and... [The next few words are blacked out and illegible.] When you look at it, there are more bad guys on your side than mine, right?

Anyway, thanks again. I hope to see you soon.

JD Viola

Love wins. S'agapo.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Ooh... poor, naive Viola...

29. - Top - End - #89

Here's a poem I wrote, a bit of a meditation. It does relate to the story, though the application is broader than that.

(Untitled)
    Spoiler
    Show

To share my joy with all the world is my heart’s foremost desire,
    To help to raise this fallen earth to the heav’nly realms above;
    And with my every word and step the souls of men inspire,
    To free from evil’s tyrant grasp the hearts of those I love.

But how must I go about to do the good I seek?
    I am but a sinful soul with weak and halting tongue.
    My spirit may be willing, but my flesh is oh so weak;
    There’s still so much that I don’t know, for I am still so young.

Do I really have what it takes the path of light to show?
    Can I be a worthy guide if I myself don’t know the way?
    How can I offer hope to one whose heart I do not know?
    What must I do to find the truth amid these shades of gray?

How can a foolish mortal hope the grasp of sin to break?
    How can I take up arms against the darkness that’s inside?
    Or is this burden one that I was not meant to take?
    Is my desire to be a hero naught but selfish pride?

Time and again I’ve sung this song, seeking the truth and good,
    Though the quest is long and hard, and the path is far from clear.
    Still I try to show my love in whatever way I could,
    Walking the road step by step, with hope and without fear.

Love wins. S'agapo.

30. - Top - End - #90

Very Nice Blue. Very Nice.

I fought you all!!!!!
    Spoiler
    Show