New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Wrong Guys IC

Since they walked into the room, Llaars had been fixated upon the tapestry. "You guys think this thing might have any meaning?" He steps forward and feels the material, then pulls it forward partially to see if there might be anything on the back.

2. - Top - End - #662
    Ettin in the Playground

Rana
    Spoiler
    Show

You cannot take the table.

But seriously, define 'all'. Just the plants and book, or the ink, inkpen, salves, mortar, pestle, bandages, and pot too?

Because I need to calculate the weight and such of all that.

Book grants +2 on Craft (herbal medicines) and Craft (poisonmaking) checks. It weighs 1 pound.

The herbs grant a generic +1 on Heal checks as long as you have some and provide materials for poisons/herbal medicines, but if you take the time to actually say which herb you're using (reference my previous post whenever you need to), gain an extra +2 on the check. Dried herbs are fragile, and do not weigh anything by themselves. However, you may want to box them, because I have no problem declaring them crushed and therefore unusable as anything except some sort of crazy inhaled poison.

Assume you have enough various plants to make 200 doses of Medicine (granting +5 on the relevant Heal check) or Poison. There are a lot of plants.

Rhubarb, cattail, and potato is all edible. Each of these items weighs a pound, and can be eaten (treat as 1 day of rations), instead of used in healing.

The thorn-apples weigh three pounds, plus a basket, which is an extra pound.

Llaars pulls enough of the tapestry out of the way that you can see what is behind it relatively easily. Another two ghostly lanterns are here, one on each wall. To your right is a metal and stone table, with engraved cuffs attached to it. It is flecked with blood, dark red and black, as well as slime. An elegant metal bookshelf next to the right wall holds twelve thick tomes, bound in varying materials. Mostly thick leather and parchment, but three are bound in nothing more than thin embossed leather, one is bound in something resembling layered leaves, and one looks a bit like a metal brick.

The far wall, too, has shelves. Wood, this time, and a wooden desk pressed into the far left corner. On the shelves are various alchemical items, potions or something of that nature, and empty bottles. Also three jars, filled to the brim with the disgusting blue tadpole-things swimming in their slime. In the far right corner, there is a cage attached to the wall, about 10 feet by 7 feet. The door swings open, lock shattered. Damp, black-stained straw covers the floor area inside the cage. There is a long bit of chain attached to one of the bars, with a collar on the other end. Black blood and shards of glass are spilled across the floor.

3. - Top - End - #663
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Ajadea
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is what I get for posting when sick and kinda out of it.

She wants (almost) all of the herbs, and the book. She'll skip the rhubarb, cattail, potato, and thorn-apples due to weight. She doesn't really trust the salves, tools, or bandages to be clean and poison-free, so she's not taking them.

I already have weight issues; my plan was to haul the stuff to where she's staying, and store it there. If there is a way for her to carefully box the herbs up while she's here, she will do so. Otherwise, she'll wrap them as best she can (probably in the bandages, unless they're already in storage bags), and pick up some boxes at a market later.

I actually know a fair bit about herbal medicine myself, so I really liked the correct commentary on what was available, and I'll try to name them appropriately.

I think that covers everything, let me know if any of it's not clear.

Rana glances over her shoulder for a moment as she's carefully wrapping herbs and stowing them away. "Well, it does look like the girl was a captive. That's promising."
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

4. - Top - End - #664

His expression turns to one of self loathing and distress for just a moment. "Well it looks like my luck hasn't changed..." He slowly tip-toes into the room, leaning to see if anything remains in the cage. Being very careful not to touch anything with the slime on it, he goes to the desk, then realizes that he had no idea what any of this meant. "Hit the motherload back here. Blood, a cage, and a ton of books... lotsa blood. One of ya'll should check this out, I don't know what the hell I'm doin'."
    Last edited by Nanoblack; 2010-09-21 at 01:30 AM.

5. - Top - End - #665
    Ettin in the Playground

Rana
    Spoiler
    Show

Ok, wrapping the herbs in the bandages, so you've got 1 pound of bandages in addition to the book and the herbs.

And no, there are no boxes.

6. - Top - End - #666
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric has a strange expression on his face, like he is going to be sick. "By Aldaran..." he whispers. He carefully enters the room as well, going over to the bookshelf. He glances at the books, stretching out his hand to touch them, then thinking better of it, and focusing to detect if they are magically trapped in any way.

Spoiler
    Show
    Detect magic on the bookshelf.
    spot - (1d20+3)[14] to make out possible details about the books (I suppose it would be too easy for them to have a title embroidered, wouldn't it?)

He'll leave the potions to someone who has a chance to identify them.
    Also, I wouldn't mind a little help in checking for traps.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

7. - Top - End - #667
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric
    Spoiler
    Show

There's some sort of abjuration/something else over the whole bookshelf. The metal brick is warded with extra-potent magic, crackling and hissing like a bonfire.

8. - Top - End - #668
    Ettin in the Playground

"I knew it." Audric mutters to himself.
    "Careful about those books. There is some sort of warding in place. Expecially over the metal one." he says "Abjuration magic, and something else I can't identify". He adds something else under his breath, too low for you to catch. But it sounded suspiciously like a cuss word.

Spoiler
    Show
    Note to self: invest some points in spellcraft asap. I can't make spellcraft checks if I don't have at least a point in it, right?
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2010-09-21 at 02:48 PM.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

9. - Top - End - #669
    Troll in the Playground

You know what? I'm tired of tiptoeing around. Wasn't I in charge at some point? Whatever, stepping forwards, Antal grabs one of the books at random.
    Last edited by Jallorn; 2010-09-21 at 11:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

10. - Top - End - #670
    Ettin in the Playground

No you cannot. And yes, Spellcraft should be a class skill for these paladins, I posted in the thread way late and I was not thinking. Ah well.
    ---
    The book explodes, for lack of a better term. A circle of blue flame blasts out of the book, damaging Audric and Antal. Rana, Rowan, and Llaars are out of range.

You two take (1d4+7)[9] damage. It's not me trying to kill you, honest! It's the dice. But FYI? Checking for traps next time may be a good idea.
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2010-09-21 at 09:42 PM.

11. - Top - End - #671

Rana jumps, nearly crushing the herbs she's currently packing. "What was that?!"
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

12. - Top - End - #672
    Barbarian in the Playground

Rowan has been lingering by the entryway, on alert for any more weird magic things that might jump out at them. At the blast, she turns, speaking before she can really see. "Are you alright?"

13. - Top - End - #673
    Ettin in the Playground

The paladin was already wounded, and has fallen to the ground, unresponsive.

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, Audric is unconscious. Again. ((hp-3))
    And I DID check for magical traps, and warn the others. Jallorn, are you trying to kill me for some IC or OOC reason I'm not aware of?
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2010-09-21 at 11:08 PM.

14. - Top - End - #674
    Troll in the Playground

Anatal seems a bit dazed, Book go boom...

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm still awake, and no, there's no reason I'm trying to get you killed. Antal just gets bored easily, is impulsive, and thinks of you like a wizard thinks of a fighter. :D
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #675

Seeing the paladin fall unconscious again, Rana curses and grabs some of the cattail roots and poppy seeds off the workbench, and begins making a quick poultice as she examines Audric's injuries.

"Are you insane? I don't care if you get yourself killed, but at least have the courtesy to warn others so that they can move!" she snaps at Antal.

Heal (1d20+9)[16]
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

16. - Top - End - #676

"What part of 'careful about these books' don't you understand?" He rushes over to Audric and attempts the same first aid as last time.

Spoiler
    Show
    Heal: (1d20)[6]

17. - Top - End - #677
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric is stable, and the cattail roots seem to soothe his burns.
    --
    I meant that you should perhaps disable said traps once they are located. The factotum's job, I believe.

Also? Poking around in an evil witch's home is not the best way to maintain full HP.

18. - Top - End - #678

Rana grabs Audric and pulls him out of the blast area, should another trap go off. "Okay, look. I'm going to finish bundling these herbs up and get him out of here. The girl, too. Anything you can find out about this area will be useful, but surviving is more important."

She sighs, "You're an idiot, but come here. This'll help."

She quickly bandages Antal's injuries as well, using the remaining poultice she didn't use up on Audric.

Ajadea, do I need a Heal check? I don't think there's anything Heal can do for him by the normal rules....
    In case I need it: Heal: (1d20+9)[19]
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

19. - Top - End - #679
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    It was fun though.

I'll be more careful in the future.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #680
    Ettin in the Playground

Heal's not going to do anything right now for Antal.

But what are you guys going to do? Books, blood, potions, cage? Blue mutant tadpoles? Remember that?

21. - Top - End - #681

Rana finished packing the herbs, then hesitates, torn between the desires to get out and to finish exploring.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

22. - Top - End - #682
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Let's…" Rowan bites her lip. "Is there anything we're gaining from staying here? Because we just keep getting attacked and - and blown up. And I don't know what we're looking for, and if some of us - " she pointedly doesn't look at Rana " - have a better idea, can you at least hurry? Good strategy doesn't involve poking around with no plan, especially when the person at least mostly in charge is unconscious. If not yet dead. Again."

A bit embarrassed by her speech, she looks down. "I mean. Not to offend, or anything. I'm just the muscle."

23. - Top - End - #683

Rana runs her hands through her hair, trying to decide. After a moment, she speaks, "Alright. I know the paladins," she almost spits the word, "said something about these tadpole things. Anyone want to fill me in?

"Meanwhile, you,"
    she points at Antal, "need to check everything for traps and disarm them if you can do so without hurting yourself. I'd like to take as much of this as possible so that Audric can look at it when he wakes up, but I don't want any repeats of the explosion. At the least, please see if the potions and cage are in any way trapped. I'd like to examine them more closely, but I don't want to touch them without testing first. We know the books are trapped, and I'm sure Audric will want to see them, but we can leave them if we have to."
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

24. - Top - End - #684
    Troll in the Playground

First, let's make it clear that I don't take orders. It just happens that I had the same idea, so I'll go check for traps, because I want to.

Spoiler
    Show
    Search: (1d20+8)[9]
    Show

25. - Top - End - #685
    Ettin in the Playground

Antal
    Spoiler
    Show

You find nothing . It might be because of the 9.

26. - Top - End - #686

Regretting his suggestion to come down here more and more with every passing minute, Llaars motioned to clear away from Audric. "As much as we could gain from going through this witches stuff, I don't wanna risk any of you more that we already have. Take what you've already picked up, I'm taking Audric to the other paladins to be healed right this time." The last few words were obviously aimed at Antal though not in any threatening way. He hefted the wounded warrior into his arms and began to carry him out the door.

27. - Top - End - #687
    Troll in the Playground

I'll wait till you guys are out of the way, then grab a couple things.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #688

Rana nods. "Right. I'll take these herbs and the girl back to your place, if that's alright with you. I don't know where else we could keep her."

"Rowan, would you be able to do me a favor?"
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

29. - Top - End - #689

"Yeah I got no problem with you holdin' her at my place, but I gotta ask that you keep her in your sight till I get back. If she freaks out again and hurts one of my girls... I dunno what I'd do." He looks exhausted even though he's carrying Audric with no problem. Finally after a moment of hesitation he leaves for wherever it is the Paladins gather.

30. - Top - End - #690
    Ettin in the Playground

Llaars
    Spoiler
    Show

You arrive at the rather forbidding stone temple and head inside the compound. For a moment, they do not seem to acknowledge you. Then they notice that a) you aren't a paladin yourself, and b) you're carrying a paladin who is rather burnt and has a slight concussion from hitting the floor.

One of the people in the courtyard drops the stack of books she is holding, running over. Her companion picks up the books. The guy has quite a colourful vocabulary for a paladin. The woman (it's unclear exactly what she is, but adepts don't normally run around in armor) wears silvery chainmail under a shorter version of the cream-colored ceremonial robes most everyone is wearing. Her eyes shimmer with golden fire for a second and she mouths words that send tremors through your body. It's not a particularly pleasant feeling.

(2d8+5)[21] She gently places a hand over the unconcious paladin's heart, and whispers what sounds like a prayer. Her hand glows for an instant, then the fire fades from her eyes, though it takes a second or so to realize it: her eyes are the same color as the fire.
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2010-10-02 at 12:34 AM.