New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Wrong Guys IC

Llaars

As he scurries about in the cramped tunnel, he twists his head as much as possible to call out to his allies. "Hey! I found some stuff down here! Anybody got a light? There's some papers with squiggles on em!"

Spoiler
    Show
    If it's possible to finish searching the rest of the cave without a light source, he'll do it. Otherwise he'll back out with what objects he's found so far.

2. - Top - End - #902
    Ettin in the Playground

Unless you're interested in rocks, bricks, or bits of rat turd, as far as you can tell, there doesn't seem to BE anything else to find.

3. - Top - End - #903
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Savannah View Post
    "So, if he was taken by magic....It can't have been the doing of the paladins. Most likely this was the work of whoever was allied with the witch...."
    "It is likely, yes." Audric answers. Thank Aldaran for small mercies he thinks to himself. He doesn't want to think of what he would have done if the Order was responsible for capturing Antal's friend.

When Llaars calls out to them, he turns towards him "Squiggles? Wait, let me see them" he says, gesturing towards Rana and Antal to come see as well.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

4. - Top - End - #904
    Troll in the Playground

I'll take that, thank you, says Aran as he snatches Paral's money from Llaars. He let's the others take the lead on the parchments, but he does try and remember if Paral had any parchment lately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

5. - Top - End - #905
    Ettin in the Playground

Antal
    Spoiler
    Show

If he did, he never mentioned it to you.

6. - Top - End - #906
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric leans over Laars' shoulder to take a look to the parchments he mentioned.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not really sure what I should roll...ignore the not-relevant rolls.
    decipher script - (1d20+1)[8]
    knowledge religion - (1d20+3)[12]

EDIT: wait, or did I simply need a spot check? In that case please, could you roll it for me? My modifier is +3
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2010-12-17 at 02:04 PM.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

7. - Top - End - #907
    Ettin in the Playground

I think the dice roller has taken pity on you, actually...

Audric
    Spoiler
    Show

There's a pattern. It might be a map, if people drew maps with charcoal stubs and mashed flower petals, instead of ink.

Then again, it could also be a unique representation of a cobweb.

Map's probably more likely, though.

8. - Top - End - #908
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

While the others are busy with what they've found, Rana keeps an eye out for anyone approaching or watching the group.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot (1d20+8)[20]
    Listen (1d20+8)[20]
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

9. - Top - End - #909
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric frowns in concentration, tracing the signs with his finger, without actually touching the parchment "That looks interesting." He motions at Laars to lower the parchement so that Antal can see it too. "It's crudely drawn, but I think it could be a map."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Uhm...can I tell what is it a map of?

Also:

Quote Originally Posted by Ajadea View Post
    I think the dice roller has taken pity on you, actually...
    Wait, was it the decipher script or knowledge check that did it or should I ask you to roll for me more often?

10. - Top - End - #910
    Ettin in the Playground

Rana
    Spoiler
    Show

There do seem to be some people shooting you (specifically you, more than the rest of the group), odd looks as they walk by. Admittedly the rest of the group is not exempt. You don't see warblades every day, and most bartenders don't have a vested interest in assisting a paladin's investigations.

11. - Top - End - #911
    Ettin in the Playground

Uhm...can I tell what is it a map of?
    Do you know of any spiderwebby passages that appear to be layered and likely cover an extensive amount of space?

Wait, was it the decipher script or knowledge check that did it or should I ask you to roll for me more often?
    The latter, natural 20 on the Spot check actually . I think the dice roller thought I was your ally. It's wrong.
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2010-12-17 at 04:08 PM.

12. - Top - End - #912

Rana fidgets slightly. "Have you found everything? I'd rather not spend any longer here than we have to. Don't want anyone getting nosy."
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

13. - Top - End - #913
    Ettin in the Playground

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajadea View Post
    Do you know of any spiderwebby passages that appear to be layered and likely cover an extensive amount of space?
    Yes, actually. Uh-oh.

I think the dice roller thought I was your ally. It's wrong.
    And it was a correct assumption, right?
    *notices white text*
    Dammit!

Audric nods almost absent-mindedly at Rana's words. He is still focused on the map, trying to make sense of it. His gray eyes are narrowed as he tries to follow the lines on the map.
    "If those are passages they seem to intersect a lot. Look at how chaotic they are - and it seems there are multiple layers, too." he mumbles, half to himself and half to the others. Then, in a more confident tone of voice "I think this could be a map of the sewers."

14. - Top - End - #914

Rana perks up at this, and moves to look at the map over Audric's shoulder.

....okay, probably over his arm, as she's really short. But you know what I mean.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

15. - Top - End - #915

Llaars

Llaars looks happy with his findings, but is still slightly perplexed. "Well what good's a map if we don't know where we're going?"

16. - Top - End - #916
    Troll in the Playground

Guys, I'm getting uncomfortable staying in one place too long. Honestly, I feel like this city could explode any minute. Can we go somewhere else? We've already gotten everything of value here, none of you have ever seen Antal quite this agitated. It probably has something to do with his friend being missing.
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #917
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: okay, then. Savannah, just so you know, I'm prepared for fierce opposition. Do your worst, I have a counter-argument for anything. I hope.

Antal's words finally divert Audric's attention from the map. "That would probably be for the best" he agrees, nodding. "Llaars, you're right, too. We have yet to figure this out. Those three marks, here" He points them out "Could mean something, or be just random splotches - the only way of knowing is attempting to follow the map, I fear".

He folds the parchment and looks up a the sky, gauging the hour of the day. "We can't go down there now - it will be dark soon, and last time was bad enough in the full light of day. Llaars, if you would be so kind to let us use your tavern again, we could sleep there.".
    He doesn't want to go back to the temple and face the unconfortable questions just now. And speaking of the temple... he purses his lips before adding "I do need to make a report to my superiors: the Order has to know about that witch's house. I'll write them a letter. Could you arrange for some of your staff to deliver it to the temple?"

18. - Top - End - #918

Rana had been nodding her agreement to Audric's plans until he mentioned the Order. "And what, exactly, are you planning on telling them?" she asks, her voice tense.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

19. - Top - End - #919
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric shuts his eyes briefly. "That there is a powerful, evil sorceress loose in the city" he answers, tightly "That I, with the help of some allies, have managed to draw her out of her house, and that they should send someone to cleanse said house." His expression softens "Do you honestly think I would mention you?"

20. - Top - End - #920

Rana looks shocked for a moment, "Of course not!"

"But you are planning to send the paladins to the house? Where they might find evidence of Ranias? Or evidence that leads them in the same direction we're going? You know they'll come in without mercy to anyone, even those who are just trying to keep their heads down and survive. And if they do find Ranias -- or me -- do you think your fate when they find out what you have done will be any better than ours?"
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

21. - Top - End - #921
    Ettin in the Playground

"No. But what my fate will be is my problem entirely." He looks sad, but also quite determined. "Rana, that's a risk we have to take. There is powerful magic in that house, and we do not have the resources to deal with it, not if we want to go find Antal's friend. That sorceress could return, and start torturing people all over again. I won't - I can't put innocent people at risk to protect myself."

22. - Top - End - #922

Rana starts to open her mouth, closes it, and frowns. "I suppose that is true. And if that sorceress does come back.....well, I'd rather it was the paladins rather than me trespassing in her house...." She sighs. "I suppose it is the best route."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, I thought that was going to be a longer arguement....but she really hopes the witch will return, kill a number of paladins, and finally be defeated, without any of us needing to be involved
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

23. - Top - End - #923
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Eheh, who said lawful good and true neutral don't work well togheter?
    Anyway:
    she really hopes the witch will return, kill a number of paladins, and finally be defeated, without any of us needing to be involved
    Hah! Fat chance of that happening.

"That..." Audric frowns, then decides to shut up. "Well, it is our job as paladins to put ourself at risk to protect people.". He looks at Llaars, and Antal "Let's go back to Llaar's. I'll write my letter there. "

24. - Top - End - #924

Rana nods.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    I said hopes, not expects
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

25. - Top - End - #925
    Troll in the Playground

When they get to Llaar's tavern, Antal sort of collapses onto one of the seats, slumping down, and making himself look even shorter. His face has a sort of bewildered look on it, and he opens his mouth as if to speak, but says nothing, several times.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #926

Rana looks around the group. "Unless you need me, I'll be....Llaars, is there a room I can use?"

OOC: Thanks She'll be off somewhere private unless someone goes to check on her or the group needs her.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

27. - Top - End - #927
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric takes off his gauntlets to have better mobility and starts to take inkpen and paper from his backpack, then stops noticing Antal's expression. "Antal. What is it?". He is almost certain he knows, but maybe the halfling would feel better if he talks.

((OOC: And Savannah ninja'd me. You asocial druid. ))
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2010-12-27 at 03:14 PM.

28. - Top - End - #928
    Troll in the Playground

Did I mention her powers were stolen?
    Show

29. - Top - End - #929

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberries View Post
    ((OOC: And Savannah ninja'd me. You asocial druid. ))
    I want to be in this conversation....but it's what she'd do....
    Last edited by Savannah; 2010-12-27 at 03:23 PM.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

30. - Top - End - #930

Llaars

Upon entering the building, the burly inkeeper immediately sets to work as if it were just a normal day. He smiles at the druid's meek question."Yeah, we got plenty of space. I think we got one or two in the back on the right that just got cleaned up. You're welcome to either one." He starts to go back to work, but catches himself before Rana makes it through the door. "You might wanna knock first. Just in case... it might've been occupied while I've been gone."

A minute or so later, he arrives at Antal and Audric's table holding a tray of mugs on one hand and two pitchers, one containing water and the other containing ale. He sets them down on the table just as Antal speaks. "How the hell do you steal somethin' like that?"