New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 49 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [Steam] Thread XIII: The World's #1 Forum-Themed Hat Acquisition Simulator

Quote Originally Posted by Rutskarn View Post
    Well, that sucks, because I really hate fighting those Big Daddies. Not in a wow-this-is-a-challenge sort of way, more in a seriously-this-is-just-a-hassle-and-now-I'm-a-dozen-medkits-down sort of way. I was kind of hoping I could live and let live--guess not.

I did have some success with proxy mines+all of my bullets, but I don't know that I can sustain that tactic.
    That's why you want the Adam.
    As you get further in the game, more and more tools and plasmids open up to make taking down Big Daddies easier and easier and much more fun and creative.
    For example, once you grab the camera get taking photos as much as possible to net some free tonics, learn to hack good and you can use health stations to make every Big Daddy fight easily survivable. The amount of cash on a Big Daddy with always be enough to recompense you.
    Oh, and a lot of people say Target Dummy is a fantastic plasmid, but I reckon Security Bullseye is better.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

2. - Top - End - #482
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: [Steam] Thread XIII: The World's #1 Forum-Themed Hat Acquisition Simulator

Wait a minute, wait a minute, this suddenly pisses me off.

Why is it that killing Little Sisters is bad, and killing Big Daddies is A-OK? I mean, granted, I don't know all the backstory yet, but they sure seem to be in the same boat, and they don't attack me. Unless every Big Daddy is actually a convicted child molester or something, I'm not sure I'm comfortable dispatching them.
    Spoiler
    Show
    <-I won this from Dr. Bath.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #483
    Troll in the Playground

Why is it that killing Little Sisters is bad, and killing Big Daddies is A-OK? I mean, granted, I don't know all the backstory yet, but they sure seem to be in the same boat, and they don't attack me. Unless every Big Daddy is actually a convicted child molester or something, I'm not sure I'm comfortable dispatching them.
    I think that's the idea. I certainly felt horrible being forced to fight them. That said, the whole moral angle in Bioshock is kinda shot. Try not to worry about it too much - the game has its good bits.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

4. - Top - End - #484
    Ettin in the Playground

From how I see it, if you're evil you'd kill them anyway. If you're good, then they still aren't going to let you waltz up and rescue the Little Sisters. They're a part of the system that keeps the Little Sisters trapped in their monstrous states, and for them to be saved you're going to have to bust a few heads with some FISTFOLLALOITNING.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

5. - Top - End - #485
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

The little sisters seem pretty happy, too, though--who says they need saving? Glowing eyes and bad skin don't mean you're in hell. Sure, they thank you for saving them, but I guess they just never really sold me on the whole you're-doing-teh-good angle.

Also, lol xcom fanart
    Last edited by Rutskarn; 2010-07-03 at 05:19 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #486
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, for the first one, kind of spoiler warning. Secondly, you don't really know that, going in.
    If you think that's a spoiler, then I have another one for you: At the end of King King the monkey DIES.

The little sisters seem pretty happy, too, though--who says they need saving? Glowing eyes and bad skin don't mean you're in hell.
    Saying more involves a spoiler, but I can put it this way: Would you want to live in Rapture after it breaks apart?

7. - Top - End - #487
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, if you have bioshock 2, it becomes alot clearer that they need to be saved.

Spoiler
    Show
    At one stage you take control of one and see the world from their pespective.

8. - Top - End - #488
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jibar View Post
    Just wait. Juuuust wait.
    You'll come to need that Adam, and you'll come to need those Plasmids and Tonics.
    At the start of the game you might think you're doing fine with just a wrench and a revolver but soon you'll need to be throwing bees like you're Winnie the Bloody Pooh and Adam becomes your Hunny.
    Wait, really? Did you play a different game? Because the bioshock I remember wasn't especially challenging until you started getting more abilities and weapons. Then you became a drug induced massacre machine, capable of strolling through the opposition and generally being unkillable. It was fun, but more in a "kill enemies with their own hats" way than anything resembling difficulty. My personal favorite was skeet shooting, launching the enemies with that one whirlwind trap. Great fun whenever the ceiling is high enough.

On big daddies: I think the devs realized that, and tried to make a point of it right at the end. Pity that bit wasn't actually any fun. Note: Was that vague enough not to need spoiler tags? I'm not actually sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post
    BE RIGHT BACK BUILDING IMPOSTER A SHRINE.
    Names I own:
    Spoiler
    Show

Darth Mario
    Phase
    Kainozzo(Pending litigation)

9. - Top - End - #489
    Dwarf in the Playground

I remember reading a blog a while back that said that 2k had a different idea for that end bit in bioshock:

Spoiler
    Show
    Basically after that big daddy bit you have to fight Fontaine, he has pretty normal health for a splicer, but your big daddy armour gives you loads of health as you transport little sisters into that escape pod thingy. If you kill Fontaine he just comes back in a vita chamber, if you die it goes to one of the endings. There are four: fill the pod up with sisters, leaving no room for yourself, meaning you die in rapture, Fill up the pod a bit, and leave with the sisters, escape on your own or die halfway through, leaving the sisters to die by fontaines hand. It's clever because it actually means that if your not skilled, you don't get the "big hero who defeats insurmountable odds", and actually flips the entire gameplay on it's head, instead of giving you a glorified boss fight and an ending that tastes of ashes in my mouth.
    Steam name: Smiling Jack, aint that convenient?
    Numerical Steam ID:STEAM_0:1:15133339

10. - Top - End - #490
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Imposter View Post
    Wait, really? Did you play a different game? Because the bioshock I remember wasn't especially challenging until you started getting more abilities and weapons. Then you became a drug induced massacre machine, capable of strolling through the opposition and generally being unkillable. It was fun, but more in a "kill enemies with their own hats" way than anything resembling difficulty. My personal favorite was skeet shooting, launching the enemies with that one whirlwind trap. Great fun whenever the ceiling is high enough.
    I dunno how challenging the end game is meant to be, I'm just guessing. I turned into a Venus Fly Trap, Chameleoning in front of hacked turrets and cameras and the whole thing became a hilarious exercise in smacking people upside the head with a Super Sneak Attack Wrench.
    Hell, I'm not even sure I ever shot a Big Daddy after the halfway mark. I just let Security Bots kill them all.
    Nothing but a Nobody

11. - Top - End - #491
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, that sucks, because I really hate fighting those Big Daddies. Not in a wow-this-is-a-challenge sort of way, more in a seriously-this-is-just-a-hassle-and-now-I'm-a-dozen-medkits-down sort of way. I was kind of hoping I could live and let live--guess not.

I did have some success with proxy mines+all of my bullets, but I don't know that I can sustain that tactic.

Spoken like a true parasite.

Don't mind Ryan, he's always been a bit grumpy. But seriously though would you kindly go kill some Big Daddies, because we're going to need that goddamned Adam!
    Last edited by Jahkaivah; 2010-07-03 at 07:47 AM.
    Steamname: Atheist God, if you're lucky.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Jibar View Post
    Hell, I'm not even sure I ever shot a Big Daddy after the halfway mark. I just let Security Bots kill them all.
    It was pretty hilarious how Security Bullsye means that cameras will say "HEY A BIG DADDY COME KILL HIM GUNBOTS" and then the gunbots just swarm him for five minutes and he never feels any malice towards you.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

13. - Top - End - #493
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    It was pretty hilarious how Security Bullsye means that cameras will say "HEY A BIG DADDY COME KILL HIM GUNBOTS" and then the gunbots just swarm him for five minutes and he never feels any malice towards you.
    At first I though you said Gunboats, I imagined a load of boots flying around trying to stamp the Big Daddy out.
    Last edited by Jahkaivah; 2010-07-03 at 07:55 AM.
    Steamname: Atheist God, if you're lucky.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jahkaivah View Post
    At first I though you said Gunboats, I imagined a load of boots flying around trying to stamp the Big Daddy out.
    And that would be supremely awesome.

Writings and ramblings would be here. Get it out of my head, and into yours.

Android Sniper avatar courtesy of Kpenguin

15. - Top - End - #495
    Ogre in the Playground

The little sisters seem pretty happy, too, though--who says they need saving? Glowing eyes and bad skin don't mean you're in hell. Sure, they thank you for saving them, but I guess they just never really sold me on the whole you're-doing-teh-good angle.
    Finish the game, get the good ending, and tell me it wasn't worth it.
    I write a gaming blog. It also hosts my gaming downloads:

Fatescape - FATE-based D&D emulator, for when you want D&D flavour but not D&D complexity.
    Exalted Mass Combat Rules - Because the ones in the core book suck.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Banned

Who said killing Big Daddies was fine?

Who said killing splicers was fine?

17. - Top - End - #497
    Troll in the Playground

So, tried UFO: Enemy Unknown.

First mission? Goes well. Very well. Was rather surprised, actually. I assume the report was something like this.

"Mister President, First contact has been made." "Oh? How did it go?" "Johnson shot it in the back of the head." "BOLLY."

He was promptly renamed to Johnson Hale, and has since soloed three sectoids with a pistol and nothing else. More stuff is on the way. Last mission took out two operatives, though. Fun times, thus far.

Question: How do I equip people with stuff?
    Last edited by Cogwheel; 2010-07-03 at 11:05 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

18. - Top - End - #498
    Ogre in the Playground

Bleh, I need to update my avatars. They're too small for Steam, and in the wrong format.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hooray, I'm the nucleus!
    Spoiler
    Show
    On behalf of YoSaffBridge, a collected gent who also hails from the UK, I would like to apologize for the time (times?) he told your lovely children that they were possessed by El Diablo. He has his own issues to work out, and occasionally suffers from the honest delusion that small children are demons. Plus, he’s a bastard. I guess that’s not really an excuse, but I did say these would be sincere.

Steam Name: [ChHa]YoSaffBridge

20. - Top - End - #500
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dread Cthulhu View Post
    Hooray, I'm the nucleus!
    LOL

I've been trying to get someone to redraw with higher resolution... meh.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Myatar_Panwar View Post
    I really hope JC2 gets a daily sale. Want so bad.
    My prayers have been answered.

Hallelujah!
    Steam: Foolish Chaos
    Spoiler
    Show
    Freaking awesome TF2 banner by: Pyro

22. - Top - End - #502
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Player_Zero View Post
    Who said killing Big Daddies was fine?

Who said killing splicers was fine?
    Atlas said. He wouldn't lie to me, would he? Would he?
    (Yes, I already know.)
    That one woman implied it, is what annoys me. She's all, "Oh, don't kill the little sisters, that's WRONG! Only kill the bigger male counterparts!" There's no real direct evidence that killing the Big Daddies is right, so I guess, if I'm playing a good character, my best bet is not to kill them at all.

As for the splicers, they've gone psychotic and murderous, so they're more acceptable targets. Besides, they're trying to kill you--you don't really have any other options except just plain curling up into a ball, and excepting practitioners of ahimsa, I don't think anybody would really call for that.
    Last edited by Rutskarn; 2010-07-03 at 01:24 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #503
    Ogre in the Playground

Not killing the big daddies means that you are not saving the little sisters, which I think is a far more noble endeavor.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #504
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I figured out why TF2 always took several minutes to load maps and at least 5 minutes to join a server. My TF2 files were fragmented to hell and back and then back to hell again.

This is Defraggler. It is pulling fragments from all over my hard drive. The yellow blocks are where it is pulling from:

Obviously its all over my hard drive. Which explains the slow load times.

I hope it will be screaming fast when its done defragmenting. I have gotten tired of the long load times as of late.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drager0 View Post
    MY LIFE IS RUINED FOREVER AND IT'S ALL BECAUSE OF YOU, VOLATAR!!!!
    My Twitter
    Awesome Yukari avatar by memnarch.

25. - Top - End - #505
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Not killing the big daddies means that you are not saving the little sisters, which I think is a far more noble endeavor.
    WHY? Why do the little sisters deserve to have good skin and non-glowy eyes at the expense of the lives of their caretakers? What does SAVING the little sisters even mean, anyway?

Think about it: a little girl has some kind of lifelong disease that, while she's able to operate and go about her business, makes life somewhat difficult for her. To cure this, you can beat her father/big brother to death--at which point she's suddenly an orphan in the middle of a really, really dangerous place. Does that seem right to you?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #506
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Volatar View Post
    Well, I figured out why TF2 always took several minutes to load maps and at least 5 minutes to join a server. My TF2 files were fragmented to hell and back and then back to hell again.

This is Defraggler. It is pulling fragments from all over my hard drive. The yellow blocks are where it is pulling from:

Obviously its all over my hard drive. Which explains the slow load times.

I hope it will be screaming fast when its done defragmenting. I have gotten tired of the long load times as of late.
    I would just like to say it looks like there is no fragmentation on that hard drive. Which doesn't make a lot of sense as there should be a couple files here and there.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

27. - Top - End - #507
    Ettin in the Playground

WHY? Why do the little sisters deserve to have good skin and non-glowy eyes at the expense of the lives of their caretakers? What does SAVING the little sisters even mean, anyway?

Think about it: a little girl has some kind of lifelong disease that, while she's able to operate and go about her business, makes life somewhat difficult for her. To cure this, you can beat her father/big brother to death--at which point she's suddenly an orphan in the middle of a really, really dangerous place. Does that seem right to you?
    Not entirely true considering the lifelong disease was forced into her to become part of a deadly ecosystem when also given a minor form of immortality so that she cannot be killed by the murders inhabitants of the ruined underwater city where she lives, dazed and confused having been pretty much lobotomised and brain washed during this whole process.

It's more a mark of tearing out the parasitic organism that forces a little girl to live a half-life after killing her guardian/prison keeper so that she can indeed be human again and have some however slim hope of getting to the live the life that was so rudely taken from her by mysterious third parties.
    Nothing but a Nobody

28. - Top - End - #508
    Ogre in the Playground

Saving the little sisters results in the same little sisters coming to you with gifts from Tenenbaum. This assumes that she is taking care of them. They were always orphans, only now they have someone who isn't just some husk taking care of them.

And really, are you some kind of communist? A happy life devoid of free-will vs. a bit harder life but with the ability to chose to not suck adam from plastic nipples.
    Last edited by Myatar_Panwar; 2010-07-03 at 01:38 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #509
    Troll in the Playground

You know, I keep imagining Liberty Prime as being piloted by Andrew Ryan. Those two would get along far too well.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

30. - Top - End - #510
    Dwarf in the Playground

Saving the little sisters results in the same little sisters coming to you with gifts from Tenenbaum. This assumes that she is taking care of them. They were always orphans, only now they have someone who isn't just some husk taking care of them.

And really, are you some kind of communist? A happy life devoid of free-will vs. a bit harder life but with the ability to chose to not suck adam from plastic nipples.
    I always wondered what happens to them afterwards? you're in the middle of the atlantic ocean, with a load of 12 year old girls, even if you do find country, that's alot of people with 0 earning power.
    Steam name: Smiling Jack, aint that convenient?
    Numerical Steam ID:STEAM_0:1:15133339