New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 49 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Steam] Thread XIII: The World's #1 Forum-Themed Hat Acquisition Simulator

Jibbers: If someone impersonates you, I may or may not be able to tell. If I can tell, I will probably punch them first, for imitating you. If not, I will punch them first, because I think they're you. Either way, someone will get punched first.

Scuzz: Versus is first come, first served, whereas jokes are carefully calculated to produce something resembling disgust or, occasionally, humor. There's never enough people for Versus, so you're almost certainly in.

Mario: Tell me this will be livestreamed.

Djinn: I was listing names of people I know are better at L4D than I am. We can form this team, if you'd like, just have fun picking me up all the time.
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

2. - Top - End - #872
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [Steam] Thread XIII: The World's #1 Forum-Themed Hat Acquisition Simulator

Quote Originally Posted by watsyurname529 View Post
    http://kotaku.com/5581084/its-like-w...eam-fortress-2

Have fun finding him, but beware the link. You've been warned.
    Wow, Kotaku really is slow. That picture has been around for a couple of months now. I saw it while I was still at Uni.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

3. - Top - End - #873
    Titan in the Playground

Well, Bryn's stream is going again.

http://www.livestream.com/nyrb

Good fun.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

4. - Top - End - #874
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jibar View Post
    Wow, Kotaku really is slow. That picture has been around for a couple of months now. I saw it while I was still at Uni.
    Ya see here, this is is why things like rickrolling work. Cuz its vintage. Never Gonna Give You Up is right vintage, but recently got revival.

This sort of thing happens all the time.

Writings and ramblings would be here. Get it out of my head, and into yours.

Android Sniper avatar courtesy of Kpenguin

5. - Top - End - #875
    Barbarian in the Playground

In 2000, English journalist Piers Morgan was investigated because soon before a financial column of his paper announced that a certain company was an excellent buy, he was found to have heavily invested. As in, he used information that was meant to be private and not used for personal benefit to make a profit, breaking the laws in question.

Far as I'm concerned, owning a website (websites?) used to examine item drops in a game should prohibit you from using said information for your own benefit. And the benefit of your friends.

Drunken F00L, nice one.

Valve, nice one. Well played for misleading an entire community on something, inspiring several to craft away everything they have for no good reason, and then giving the answers to the equation in the hands of a few people.
    Spoiler
    Show
    On behalf of YoSaffBridge, a collected gent who also hails from the UK, I would like to apologize for the time (times?) he told your lovely children that they were possessed by El Diablo. He has his own issues to work out, and occasionally suffers from the honest delusion that small children are demons. Plus, he’s a bastard. I guess that’s not really an excuse, but I did say these would be sincere.

Steam Name: [ChHa]YoSaffBridge

6. - Top - End - #876
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dread Cthulhu View Post
    In 2000, English journalist Piers Morgan was investigated because soon before a financial column of his paper announced that a certain company was an excellent buy, he was found to have heavily invested. As in, he used information that was meant to be private and not used for personal benefit to make a profit, breaking the laws in question.

Far as I'm concerned, owning a website (websites?) used to examine item drops in a game should prohibit you from using said information for your own benefit. And the benefit of your friends.

Drunken F00L, nice one.

Valve, nice one. Well played for misleading an entire community on something, inspiring several to craft away everything they have for no good reason, and then giving the answers to the equation in the hands of a few people.
    Elaborate further, vile fiend.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

7. - Top - End - #877
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

Drunken Fool got a golden wrench.

To be fair, I had information, too. I just didn't get a wrench.

I doubt DrunkenF00l was privy to anything that would have ensured him a wrench. He would have had to get lucky, just like anyone else.

8. - Top - End - #878
    Ogre in the Playground

On DF's website there are threads and threads digging in to the mechanics behind finding wrenches. I suspect, from the sudden flurry of DF and pals getting wrenches, that they've cracked it.
    Last edited by potatocubed; 2010-07-07 at 12:25 PM.
    I write a gaming blog. It also hosts my gaming downloads:

Fatescape - FATE-based D&D emulator, for when you want D&D flavour but not D&D complexity.
    Exalted Mass Combat Rules - Because the ones in the core book suck.

9. - Top - End - #879

Puns weren't THAT bad.

DrunkenFool, the guy who made the backpack app and also tf2stats (I think), is the proud owner of wrench #58.

He's acknowledged that he didn't get the wrench "naturally" by pure luck, but that he managed to find the formula for the times and crafted specifically knowing it would result in getting a wrench. Nobody else has noted a pattern in the wrenches despite the times being available, suggesting that it can only be deduced if you have all the information from several websites that collate this.

It's also been noted that the owner of wrenches #36 and #56 are both his Steam friends, implying that the website has been sharing information. Not guaranteed, but seems the most likely outcome.

NINJA'D
    Spoiler
    Show
    On behalf of YoSaffBridge, a collected gent who also hails from the UK, I would like to apologize for the time (times?) he told your lovely children that they were possessed by El Diablo. He has his own issues to work out, and occasionally suffers from the honest delusion that small children are demons. Plus, he’s a bastard. I guess that’s not really an excuse, but I did say these would be sincere.

10. - Top - End - #880

I'm not the fiend, but I'll try to elaborate after a few minutes of searching. Drunken F00l, apparently, is good with math and programming. He wrote a program that allows one to simulate being on a server and receive drops. That's not related, but an initial piece of proof. There's a set of forums called "Source OP". Three(?) members there have received golden wrenches. They are estimating times for the next golden wrench to drop, and appear to be succeeding. The implication is that this isn't random (few things in computers ever are) and is instead based upon some equation in the code. Everyone believes that some of the guys at Source OP have figured it out, which makes the whole "random wrenches" thing seem unfair.

If you'd like to take a stab at it yourself, the times of wrench drops are here. DF claims that there's no equation that he used, just statistics. The time apart averages an hour or so.

EDIT: And Cthulhu posted most of that. Semi-ninja'd. Plus a slight change on that last paragraph.
    Last edited by Valaqil; 2010-07-07 at 12:34 PM.

11. - Top - End - #881
    Ettin in the Playground

Considering how much we all use the Backpack Examiner and what not, Drunken F00l himself definitely deserves something, but if they have cracked it and started spreading it I hope Valve does something about it. That definitely isn't fair.

Also, for all the drop limit being lifted nothing is dropping for me thus far. Took about four hours of play for 1 item. Not entirely sure what's going on there.
    Nothing but a Nobody

12. - Top - End - #882

If they did crack it, I'd like to know how they dropped once this whole thing is over.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

13. - Top - End - #883

Quote Originally Posted by Valaqil View Post
    I'm not the fiend, but I'll try to elaborate after a few minutes of searching. Drunken F00l, apparently, is good with math and programming. He wrote a program that allows one to simulate being on a server and receive drops. That's not related, but an initial piece of proof. There's a set of forums called "Source OP". Three(?) members there have received golden wrenches. They are estimating times for the next golden wrench to drop, and appear to be succeeding. The implication is that this isn't random (few things in computers ever are) and is instead based upon some equation in the code. Everyone believes that some of the guys at Source OP have figured it out, which makes the whole "random wrenches" thing seem unfair.

If you'd like to take a stab at it yourself, the times of wrench drops are here. DF claims that there's no equation that he used, just statistics. The time apart averages an hour or so.

EDIT: And Cthulhu posted most of that. Semi-ninja'd. Plus a slight change on that last paragraph.
    The only reason it isn't truly (or as close as you can get) as far as I can tell, is because they've made it "fair" across timezones and that they want the Engie update info to come at certain times. So they've influenced the drop times to occur at certain moments. I'm not sure how much he's able to truly discern a pattern from it though.

14. - Top - End - #884

Kobold

Random =/= Fair.

Random System:

Jibar: I used up four of my ubersaws, but it was worth it, because I got a golden wrench

Shadow: I used up four of my ubersaws, but it wasn't worth it, because I got an ubersaw.

Fair System:

Shadow: I did not put any time or effort into deciphering the pattern, and I got nothing at all.

Drunken Fool: I put much more time and effort in, and I was rewarded.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

15. - Top - End - #885
    Ogre in the Playground

Number Twenty Seven Is Down. Repeat. Number Twenty Seven Is Down.

16. - Top - End - #886

Fair System:

Shadow: I lack the information required to get something, so I got nothing.

Drunken F00L: I have the information required to get something and lack moral fibre, so I got a golden wrench!

This wasn't that he was the only person who bothered. It was that he was one of the few people who could.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #887
    Ogre in the Playground

Not sure what kind of statistical inference they're applying to get any sort of accurate estimate. For predicting the time between drops based on a finite data pool, you're looking at a t-interval.

Eliminating the obvious outliers (x > 20k, x < 100, x = seconds between drops produces a 95% confidence interval of roughly (2458,4897), which does have a center at 3677, very close to one hour. Variance on the prediction is horrendous though; sx = 4153, n = 47.

Including the outliers, a 95%CI of (1561,5290) is produced, with center 3426. sx = 7643, n = 67.

If outliers are reduced further to (x > 10k, x < 100), then the 95%CI formed is (1958,3400), x-bar = 2680, sx = 2341, n = 43.

I'm going to go poke around on their forums and see if I can glean any other information on their methods. My calculations, however, suggest that any prediction formed from the current data would be tenuous, at best.

18. - Top - End - #888

Random is also completely fair as long as every single person has the same chance for the item/thing in question.

19. - Top - End - #889

Quote Originally Posted by AlterForm View Post
    I'm going to go poke around on their forums and see if I can glean any other information on their methods. My calculations, however, suggest that any prediction formed from the current data would be tenuous, at best.
    Huh. That's interesting. Thanks for the math. I did well enough in statistics/probability to understand enough of that, but it was one course that I fought. I discarded most of it after I passed.

I'm not sure if you could replicate it, but they somehow used the data before Wrench 34 to guess its arrival fairly closely.

I agree with wats about random being fair. However, perhaps we shouldn't dwell on fairness too long.
    Last edited by Valaqil; 2010-07-07 at 01:57 PM.

20. - Top - End - #890
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by watsyurname529 View Post
    Random is also completely fair as long as every single person has the same chance for the item/thing in question.
    Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos. I'm an agent of chaos. Oh, and you know the thing about chaos? It's fair!

21. - Top - End - #891
    Ogre in the Playground

Huh. That's interesting. Thanks for the math. I did well enough in statistics/probability to understand enough of that, but it was one course that I fought. I discarded most of it after I passed.

I'm not sure if you could replicate it, but they somehow used the data before Wrench 34 to guess its arrival fairly closely.

I agree with wats about random being fair. However, perhaps we shouldn't dwell on fairness too long.
    Indeed, I had AP Stats last semester which is the only reason I remembered how to do it at all. Of course, it wasn't much harder than plugging the data into my calculator and running the proper test. Technology is useful that way.

[EDIT]: Tried my hand at "predicting" Wrench 34. Using all the data up to that point (no outlier correction), my CI isn't even close to being able to predict the time of the next drop to within "plus/minus 9 seconds."

When I correct for the early outlier drops (x < 10 or so), I get a similarly terrible CI; eliminating x = 56k or so produces a CI similar to the ones above, with very large variances around x-bar = 3600 ish.

Thus, the way I see it, there are 3 probabilities:

1) Ranma (the poster who predicted Wrench 34) is using higher-level statistics than I am familiar with.

2) Ranma is lucky, lucky bastard. Like, insanely lucky. He would have guessed an 18-second interval from a roughly 4000-second interval.

3) Ranma is cheating.
    Last edited by AlterForm; 2010-07-07 at 02:35 PM.

22. - Top - End - #892
    Halfling in the Playground

Nevermind. I'm an idiot.
    Last edited by Izual6764; 2010-07-07 at 02:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    Izual is even more dogmantra than dogmantra

23. - Top - End - #893

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Dread Cthulhu View Post
    Fair System:

Shadow: I lack the information required to get something, so I got nothing.

Drunken F00L: I have the information required to get something and lack moral fibre, so I got a golden wrench!

This wasn't that he was the only person who bothered. It was that he was one of the few people who could.
    If I recall correctly, he doesn't "Have Access" to those websites, he personally built them.

Also, I heard he used nothing but the statistics, which are freely available

--

Now, more important than the stupidity that is Valve making golden wrenches at all, I'd like to post here that I'll be showing Black Dynamite via Livestream at 9 PM EST on Friday.
    Last edited by shadow_archmagi; 2010-07-07 at 02:33 PM.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

24. - Top - End - #894

Quote Originally Posted by AlterForm View Post
    Indeed, I had AP Stats last semester which is the only reason I remembered how to do it at all. Of course, it wasn't much harder than plugging the data into my calculator and running the proper test. Technology is useful that way.

[EDIT]: Tried my hand at "predicting" Wrench 34. Using all the data up to that point (no outlier correction), my CI isn't even close to being able to predict the time of the next drop to within "plus/minus 9 seconds."

When I correct for the early outlier drops (x < 10 or so), I get a similarly terrible CI; eliminating x = 56k or so produces a CI similar to the ones above, with very large variances around x-bar = 3600 ish.

Thus, the way I see it, there are 3 probabilities:

1) Ranma (the poster who predicted Wrench 34) is using higher-level statistics than I am familiar with.

2) Ranma is lucky, lucky bastard. Like, insanely lucky. He would have guessed an 18-second interval from a roughly 4000-second interval.

3) Ranma is cheating.
    He could be using very high level of statistics, but he had to have gotten quite lucky to predict it that accurately.

25. - Top - End - #895

Imp

Alternatively, it could be a self-fulfilling prophecy.
    Last edited by Fawkes; 2010-07-07 at 09:08 PM.

26. - Top - End - #896

That link needs fixin'.
    "I am the very model of a scientist Salarian,
    I've studied species Turian, Asari and Batarian,
    I'm quite good at genetics (as a subset of biology)
    Because I am an expert (which I know is a tautology!
    My xenoscience studies range from urban to agrarian,
    I am the very model of a scientist Salarian!"

Don't play League of Legends? Want to?

27. - Top - End - #897
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Alternatively, it could be a self-fulfilling prophecy.
    A plausible theory. Probably my favorite so far.
    Last edited by AlterForm; 2010-07-07 at 04:09 PM.

28. - Top - End - #898
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, 73 found. Update should be soon. 1-2 hours or so.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

29. - Top - End - #899
    Ogre in the Playground

Looking at drunken F00ls backpack... he seems to be golden wrenchless.

30. - Top - End - #900
    Dwarf in the Playground

He's also now VAC banned, along with his friends.
    Placeholder in perpetuity.