New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 49 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Steam] Thread XIII: The World's #1 Forum-Themed Hat Acquisition Simulator

Quote Originally Posted by onasuma View Post
    Looking at drunken F00ls backpack... he seems to be golden wrenchless.
    The plot thickens...

2. - Top - End - #902
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [Steam] Thread XIII: The World's #1 Forum-Themed Hat Acquisition Simulator

He's not on the Wrench list anymore...
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

3. - Top - End - #903
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jibar View Post
    He's not on the Wrench list anymore...
    More than that. He and his friends (also removed from the Wrench list) were VAC banned.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/df

Right there under gameplay stats.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

4. - Top - End - #904
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn_In_Tonic View Post
    More than that. He and his friends (also removed from the Wrench list) were VAC banned.

Harsh. I really feel for the poor guy. VAC banned? Really? That's going a bit far, isn't it?
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

5. - Top - End - #905
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, this just goes to prove an old saying dating back to the 1500's; "If you cheat the system to get a Golden Wrench, Valve bans you."

Needless to say, it wasn't a very popular saying back then.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avvies by Z-Axis, now bearer of 3 divine rank.
    So you may have heard of Lord Herman. Well, he's pretty awesome.
    Chief Arial Commander of HALO
    Through hostilties, Leader of AMEN
    Annoyingly Androgynous Elf
    Larger Avvies:
    Shas aia Toriia (under constuction)
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #906
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn_In_Tonic View Post

Holy crap...

THE SYSTEM WORKS!
    Nothing but a Nobody

Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

7. - Top - End - #907
    Ogre in the Playground

Downside of the whole thing is... we have to wait longer to see the next item...

8. - Top - End - #908
    Bugbear in the Playground

I would just like to know how/why he was banned. As in how did he cheat the system for a Golden Wrench?

9. - Top - End - #909
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Yeah, I'm finding it tricky to feel sorry for the ol' DF. He and his crew were all about screwing the rules and fighting da powah--it was going to catch up to them sooner or later.
    Spoiler
    Show
    <-I won this from Dr. Bath.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #910

VAC banned seems really extreme. He just pointed out and used statistics that were already widely available. He gamed the system, but did he use any outside processes to do so? Did he really cheat? When you consider how serious VAC banning is you gotta ask.

and seriously i'm asking i don't know very much about this
    Quote Originally Posted by The Linker View Post
    The recursiveness of KBF's sig is fracturing my brain. OW OW OW.

It's like putting two portals in view of each other and staring through them into infinity. And somehow KBF sigged it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MasatoHyuga View Post
    @^^ Hey! Someone sigged me! :D

11. - Top - End - #911
    Dwarf in the Playground

According to the chaos in the steam forums, the times that the golden wrenches were going to be released were leaked... So that's how Drunken f00l knew what times to craft.

However, he hasn't responded since yet, so anything right now is speculation.
    Last edited by surikesu; 2010-07-07 at 05:31 PM.
    Placeholder in perpetuity.

12. - Top - End - #912
    Ettin in the Playground

Think of it this way,

The Random Drop Wrench system ensures that anybody can get it. Anyone at all. No bias to timezones, no level of skill required, no visiting hidden web pages, just grab some of the regularly dropping items and craft some scrap metal and you could get it. It's always possible.

Each time DF and his friends did a guaranteed craft, they essentially broke this entire thing. No longer could anybody get it. Only they could. They had taken their Wrenches out of the random system and stopped other people having one. For every Wrench they made, the chance of other people getting one dropped.

In effect, they were stealing potential items from other players.

And that is seriously not cool.
    Nothing but a Nobody

13. - Top - End - #913

Quote Originally Posted by KBF View Post
    VAC banned seems really extreme. He just pointed out and used statistics that were already widely available. He gamed the system, but did he use any outside processes to do so? Did he really cheat? When you consider how serious VAC banning is you gotta ask.

and seriously i'm asking i don't know very much about this
    This is what I want to know. I would hope that Valve wouldn't VAC ban him just for using some statistics.

To get a VAC ban you'd have to be screwing around with the game code, such as various hax or something.

14. - Top - End - #914

Quote Originally Posted by surikesu View Post
    According to the chaos in the steam forums, the times that the golden wrenches were going to be released were leaked... So that's how Drunken f00l knew what times to craft.

However, he hasn't responded since yet, so anything right now is speculation.

If I were Valve at this point I'd switch up the times to randomly between every hour, but never the old time. So it's actually pretty random and fair unless you were using the leaked info.

And yeah, Wats ninja'd what I was going to say so I'm not going to retype it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jibar View Post
    Each time DF and his friends did a guaranteed craft, they essentially broke this entire thing. No longer could anybody get it. Only they could. They had taken their Wrenches out of the random system and stopped other people having one. For every Wrench they made, the chance of other people getting one dropped.
    Except that if there were set times, which having a guaranteed craft implies, then it wasn't really random and it was more a case of choosing what time of day to play the lottery, the timestamp being your lucky numbers. And then they're formulaic? Valve could have done better, assuming they're using a fairly mundane formula like 'once an hour'. If the times really were leaked then I'd understand, I guess.

Of course, this makes me laugh at all of you when I was rereading the pages and somehow you guys figured that right after the last wrench dropped was a good time to try. I never understood that logic. Valve would not let two wrenches drop in a row. Probably.
    Last edited by KBF; 2010-07-07 at 05:35 PM.

It's like putting two portals in view of each other and staring through them into infinity. And somehow KBF sigged it.

15. - Top - End - #915
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Jesus, the steam thread is a wasteland.

Wait, hold on, let me fix that.

Jesus, the steam forums are a wasteland.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #916
    Dwarf in the Playground

Valve should just end this insanity and give everyone golden wrenches at the end of the Engineer Update.

Everyone Wins!
    Last edited by surikesu; 2010-07-07 at 05:41 PM.
    Placeholder in perpetuity.

17. - Top - End - #917
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KBF View Post
    Except that if there were set times, which having a guaranteed craft implies, then it wasn't really random and it was more a case of choosing what time of day to play the lottery, the timestamp being your lucky numbers. And then they're formulaic? Valve could have done better, assuming they're using a fairly mundane formula like 'once an hour'. If the times really were leaked then I'd understand, I guess.
    The point stands though. They basically bought a bunch of scratchcards, knowing which cards would win, and stopped other people possibly buying them.
    The system may not be the best, but that's no excuse for stopping other people having their go at it.
    Nothing but a Nobody

18. - Top - End - #918
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

It's like knowing what the winning lottery ticket is, you know?

Speaking of which, the Time Traveler is an unethical bastard.
    Last edited by Rutskarn; 2010-07-07 at 05:45 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #919
    Orc in the Playground

So, still missing the engineer update. Special wrenches, new unlocks, achievements...
    It'll have to wait, I guess.

Quick note: You people have all missed the important bit of the wrangler. Speaking as a rather ambush happy combat engineer, doubling the damage on my (bush) sentry will be wonderful. Especially since every inatentive scout mowed down by what should be an (extremely) deadly little box of (unexpected) pain gives me more critz for the shotty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post
    BE RIGHT BACK BUILDING IMPOSTER A SHRINE.
    Names I own:
    Spoiler
    Show

Darth Mario
    Phase
    Kainozzo(Pending litigation)

20. - Top - End - #920
    Ogre in the Playground

We're up to 74.
    Last edited by AlterForm; 2010-07-07 at 05:57 PM.

21. - Top - End - #921
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rutskarn View Post
    Jesus, the steam thread is a wasteland.

Wait, hold on, let me fix that.

Jesus, the steam forums are a wasteland.
    I dunno, I think 'scandalous wrench' is a pretty good thread title.
    I write a gaming blog. It also hosts my gaming downloads:

Fatescape - FATE-based D&D emulator, for when you want D&D flavour but not D&D complexity.
    Exalted Mass Combat Rules - Because the ones in the core book suck.

22. - Top - End - #922
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

according to drunken f00l creator of sourceop and tf2items.com,
    some body told him the predetermined times of the gold wrench drops and he used this data for him and his friends to get gold wrenches.
    and used a program/script to craft medal trying to get a wrench before they disabled those blueprints. now he is vac banned and has no wrench

http://items.bfused.com/?id=df
    Last edited by Archangel Yuki; 2010-07-07 at 06:05 PM.
    Brocham
    Yocham

23. - Top - End - #923

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...postcount=1900

Four people have been banned so far right? Thats four away from me seeing the update. Q_Q
    e: mirror to that
    http://www.cyborgmatt.com/sourceop.htm
    Last edited by Tono; 2010-07-07 at 06:37 PM.

24. - Top - End - #924
    Ogre in the Playground

Smells like a publicity stunt.

25. - Top - End - #925

Needless to say, I doubt Valve will ever do another super-rare crafting drop again.
    Also, I am disappointed for there not being a mega awesome dropping algorithm. Finding useless algorithms and quirks of video games.
    Last edited by dromer; 2010-07-07 at 06:16 PM.

26. - Top - End - #926
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dromer View Post
    Needless to say, I doubt Valve will ever do another super-rare crafting drop again.
    Maybe.

**sniff**

Maybe

27. - Top - End - #927

Actually, I revoke that last statement about Valve's algorithm. By setting a global time when the wrench would drop, Valve essentially made the Wrench drop system a global version of the normal drop system.

Also:
    00:06… Beef-: Drunken_F00l: Why do you want ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ items that serve only an aesthetic purpose when you know valve are ♥♥♥♥♥♥s and take items seriously?
    00:06… @Drunken_F00l: Beef-: Their shine is intoxicating

This is made of awesome.
    Last edited by dromer; 2010-07-07 at 06:25 PM.

28. - Top - End - #928
    Ogre in the Playground

That is a pretty ****ty thing to do.

So glad they got the hammer.
    Steam: Foolish Chaos
    Spoiler
    Show
    Freaking awesome TF2 banner by: Pyro

29. - Top - End - #929
    Ogre in the Playground

#75 just dropped.

30. - Top - End - #930

Ooh, nifty looking new wrench.

..Is there um. Any.. Info? No? Just the map? Err.