New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VI: Lake of Tears

Yix

Yix spent most of the journey napping on the horse he found most comfortable. Upon sight of the castle and more importantly the fires Yix's spirits improve slightly. Afterall, where there is fire there is warm food, hopefully.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Orc in the Playground

Stunned Human Male

Out in the dark, even behind the rearguard, the pale-faced handsome man rides mechanically. He has been following the group on one of the hrses he was left holding at the bridge, yet has refused to talk or even look directly at anyone. No food has he consumed or water imbibed as he has followed constantly a few yards behind all. Yet he does not seem to be intending antisocialness. Infact he barely seems to be there at all.

His trancelike state fails to let up even when dark falls, and any attempt to ride behind him results in a waiting game that none other has any particular desire to win, so he is left to his own incomprehensible devices.

Entering the village, however seems to have some effect on him. Enough so that he seemingly reenters his own head and takes stock of what lies arround him. He slows his horse to a stop, watching the enlarged group go before him. Some he recognises. Most he doesn't. It matters not. They knew him not so there was no need for any long or emotional parting. Better to slip off unnoticed.

His head turns under the hood of the cloak, his sole garment, as he scans the nearest houses. apparently recognising something he approaches the second on the left, dismounts and nocks on the door which is swiftly answered. A few words are exchanged and he turns, patting the horses rump, sending it off after the others before slipping quietly within out of the freazing cold.
    The management holds no responsibility for loss of sanity while reading this post.

Kurt

3. - Top - End - #423
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardkin Druid

The decision had been made to limit the healing given to the fallen to merely stabilise them.

Who knew what danger would lie ahead of them and how much healing they may need to conserve.

While Tiriel recovered faster, Ssathiya remained weak and in shock. He thought he was seeing things. Old packmates hovering above his face. He closed his eyes and sunk back into unconsciousness. Images of Trinark's death flit past him.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A bump in the road stirred him and he groaned out. A soft touch awakens him and he stares up into the worried faces of Callos and Lissa.

"You?"

His expression is one of surprise. Although weak and off-color, he struggles to sit up, wincing but allowing them to assist him when they do.

He accepts any hug or beaming smile from Lissa with a softening of his hard features. He looks directly into a nervous Callos but a slight nod and an impassive face show that he does not bear any animosity towards him.

He seemed like he might speak but a shadow falls over his face and he stiffens up. With a downcast face, he limps out of the cart despite Lissa's pleas and threats.

Old friends who know him see him moving purposefully to the other cart and understand the need to leave him be for now. He ignores any new strangers who might interfere with him. But might hiss and snap his jaws at them if they persist.

If there is space he rides on the cart, if not he limps beside it, as close to his dead friend as possible. Any attempts to strike up a conversation are futile.

He cranes his neck up at the moon, realising its nearness to being full in a day. He then looks at face of his dead packmate and rests a hand on him.

He wondered if he ever would see him again. Beyond this life. Where all spirits rest in the world beyond the sky.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

4. - Top - End - #424
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Necromancer's Pact VI: Lake of Tears

Callos

As the woman realizes what is about to happen, she moans with fear and her knees buckle. She collapses onto the deck sobbing, "Please! No! Please, not like this! Anything but this!"

She turns her face towards your party. She has startlingly blue eyes and would probably have been considered pretty except that fear has twisted her features into a mask of horror. "Please help me! Please help me!"

The drow are as uninterested in the fate of the female slave as a traveller would be in a copper piece handed over at a turnstile.

The slave begs for mercy until her screams are muffled by the illithid's tentacles. She struggles futilely until her skull fractures with an audible crack. The actual consumption of her brain takes surprisingly little time, and her corpse is discarded with about as much fanfare as an orange peel.

Her body splashes overboard. The water churns as unseen creatures beneath the boat divide and devour her carcass.

The illithid wipes some gore from its cloak, then resumes his post at the bow of the longboat. In response to his silent mental commands, the creatures below the boat propel the vessel forward.

The dream worried and pestered at Callos. Sometime during the wagon ride he had fallen asleep in the blanket that Nyssa had given him and oddly his subconsious mind had sprawled down towards the Underdark and the illithid manned ferry they had been forced to use. Perhaps because it was the point in time when they had been forced to send the lizardman and Trinark on their way. Series of disconnected and mostly unrelated images flooded through his minds before his slumbering form jolted straight up.

Callos's pale face was covered in a pale sweat and his eyes where widened as if something had suddenly come to him in a revelation. The blanket was thrown aside as he jolted up and the first word out of his mouth was a shout.

"SNAKES!"

He was panting. It wasn't normal either. The necromancer's sometimes analytical mind was set on edge as a few of the remaining images from his nightmare continued to surface in his mind. The woman's face as she had been traded off.

Another life snuffed out by the oppressive smothering of the Underdark. Just like..No! Stay on track! Now where is Fizahn?

Trembling more then a little the excited and slightly distraught necromancer went to find the gnome as well as Aeroz.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

5. - Top - End - #425
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

"You made it! Oh, thank the gods!" The lizardkin finds himself being enthusiastically hugged by a beaming Lissa the moment he speaks. "I thought you were dead, or lost and we'd never see you again, oh this is wonderful, hey where do you think you're going?" During Lissa's high-speed babbling, her patient has got up and is struggling out of the cart. Oooh, Beshaba curse it all! There are times when I would love to be strong enough to physically hold one of these people down! Frustrated, she tugs at his tail to little effect. "You're not anywhere near well yet! You'll hurt yourself! Please get back in? Get back in here or I'll turn you into a new set of leather armor, ungrateful lizard!" Nope, he's not listening.

With a sigh, Lissa hops out of the cart and finds Cloudy, her new riding dog. "Stupid tallfolk. Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me, Cloudy?" Cloudy licks her face affectionately, assuring her that dogs always listen. Lissa smiles a bit and gets in the saddle, trotting to keep up with the rest of the caravan. "Well, we found him and he's not dead. That's what's important. Poor Trinark... I was so hoping to meet him again too." She looks up at the bright moon. "I hope he's happy with his goddess up there."

Time passes, and the caravan (it's really too big to be just a 'party' anymore) approaches a castle surrounded by a few houses and farms. Lissa stretches in the saddle, looking around at her companions. "What say we go up and knock on the door? We all need shelter from the cold, especially the wounded."

OOC: Quick refresher for the new folks... Red is Draconic, Orange is Gnomish, and Purple is one of several colors used for Common.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

6. - Top - End - #426
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hajih

Hajih takes a long drink from his flask before turning to Lissa.

"I say, we stake out a few of these cottages and send someone up to the keep."

He thinks for a moment "Why don't we let Lumpy or the green-haired fellow do it?"
    Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'

7. - Top - End - #427
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Lumpy is for the most part silent through the trip. He offers clarifications to the various accounts and tales exchanged, as well as advice and opinions if solicited. Otherwise he leaves them free to go about their business, making no move to interfere with the lizard's mourning or the wounded's recoveries.

When the subject of staying the night comes up, he becomes a bit more vocal, offering rebuttal in a typical gruff style,

"There's a few ways this can go, really. One, we go knock on the door. Two, we sleep on their front step. Or three, we just pass on by. One and two are only good options if they're friendly-like up there, but even if they ain't three's not much'an option either, since we've been going all night already. Horses won't take much more either way." He shrugs, "So if we're staying here the night, we can do it with permission or without. I'd much rather do it with. Chances are they'd find us come morning anyway; we ain't exactly inconspicuous, ya know? Best we settle up now rather than risk a misunderstanding in the morning."

He snorts half-heartedly at Hajih's suggestion,

"I'll go if ya ain't got the heart. Anyone else coming?"

8. - Top - End - #428

GreataxeFighterGirl

Nyssa

"I'll go," Nyssa said, stepping forward. "I think you're right, we should get permission. Or try to stay inside the castle, with our wounded and all. I have to say, I look pretty harmless, and that could help the conversation."

9. - Top - End - #429
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hajih

Hajih, in the middle of a deep drink from his flask, does a spit-take when he hears Lumpy's comment.

"Ain't got the heart? What I ain't got is the interest, but if you need someone to hold yer hand, I guess I could volunteer."
    Lords of Madness:

10. - Top - End - #430
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

"Now you just hold on a minute missy. If you look harmless, act harmless, and talk harmless, what are they going to think? Especially if their NOT friendly. That sounds a whole lot like a quick death wish. And perhaps more then one should go. I for one do nominate Lumpy to go but I also plan on going with him."

However once he got to Fizahn, and Aeroz if he's close he'll bend down and whisper.

"Fizahn, you said that Sethra was found in some kinda tomb or crypt that had something to do with snakes, right? And isn't there some kinda snake cult on the rise Order of the Serpent or some such? And in Hlodneth(sp), aren't there a whole bunch of well...serpent related things. It's something I remembered from the Underdark...with other things. And what does the dagger thing Aeroz was looking for? Did it possibly belong to Sethra?"
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

11. - Top - End - #431

GreataxeFighterGirl

Nyssa

"I happen to think that Lumpy looks harmful enough for all of us. Are you questioning his ability to represent our martial skill? I don't think there's any need to overstate the fact that there are.. one, two, three... oh, nineteen or so of us down here, most of us armed. I was merely offering to go with him to help facilitate." Nyssa smiles.

"If you want to get up in arms about it, though, fine. I'll stay here, or you can march an army to their door. I just expected... I don't know. I expected a kinder response from you."

She looks to Lumpy. "I'll go if you need, or stay here if it's better."

12. - Top - End - #432
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

"Correction. I know for a fact that Lumpy is dangerous and he has good martial skill. But two people against a castle? Nobody would think some people are that stupid. Perhaps it came out....worse then I meant it. In my defense you made it sound like you where heading there by yourself. At least if two go one can retreat and get help. By no means am I saying ALL of us go up there and knock."

He shoke his head. Wait a sec, why do I care if she took it harshly? The simple fact is, is that none of us should probaly go up there except for news. If there's no one in these buildings then no one will complain if we stay in them.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Ach, just choose already and go. Ill stay back, and a full castle aint so daft as to attack a small number of people when they obiously want to talk, simple warfare."

14. - Top - End - #434

GreataxeFighterGirl

Nyssa

"I'm sorry, Callos, I took you wrong, I thought you realized I was responding to Lumpy's question. Anyhow, I'm sorry. It's late, and I'm tired from walking."

Nyssa glances as Lumpy. "Why don't some of us just start walking to the castle, and see who joins us? Seems like coming to a consensus won't work with a group this large. Not efficiently, at least."

Nyssa grabs her staff and sends her owl into the air again, ready to set out if Lumpy starts heading to the castle.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

A stormy look began to grow on the necromancer's face but he shook his head. Looks like he would have to wait until later before getting answers to his questions.

"Fine then. I'm going too. I want to try out some new spells and Lumpy is one of three prime subjects for them."

16. - Top - End - #436
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hajih

Hajih take a drink from his flask.

"If Lumpy's going, so will I"
    Lords of Madness:

17. - Top - End - #437
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Lumpy ignores Hajihs jibe, patiently listening to the others as they sort out who's going and who's not. When everything seems sorted out, he dismounts with a shrug.

"Fine then. Just stick behind me 'til we're sure what we're dealing with. We'll need ta be within arrow range ta hail them and arrows are havoc without some metal ta protect the meaty bits."

18. - Top - End - #438

Aeroz

When Callos asks about the dagger, Aeroz simply responds "Well, It being called the Kris of Sethra does sort of imply that it did belong to him at one point. Otherwise, I don't know too much about it."

Pausing for a second, he adds on "Hey, do you know anything about weapons that can influence the wielder. This new sword is doing something wierd to my hand. I draw it without even realizing it. I mean, I do that often enough, but not without noticing the weapon after the first couple of seconds."
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

19. - Top - End - #439
    Bugbear in the Playground

I am now safely back in the USA. It took 33 hours of travel, but here I am, safe, sound, and utterly exhausted.

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

Achkby spends the long ride conversing quietly and fervently with Yix. The little magician displays a concentration rarely exhibited, questioning the new traveling companion about his history and where he will go now.

When the caravan arrives at the lights, Achkby barely spares them a glance, unwilling to pull away from the conversation he has been fueling with what might be an unnerving intensity.
    Finding that he has no more questions the little dragon will answer, he gropes around for more material.
    "What do you know about the Order of the Serpent?"
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

20. - Top - End - #440
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

His tone became more animated, clearly excited about something as he began to question Aeroz while he waited for the other two to ready themselves to leave.

"I mean what did it look like? Did you ever see it well enough to describe it to me? And what can you tell me about Hlondeth(sp)?"

When Aeroz asked about a weapon being able to influence a person however the almost childlike curiousty darkened into a frown and worry.

"Well its possible that the weapon itself is cursed and that you simply succumb to the curse before realizing that you did. Thats certainly the more appealing aspect. The other end that I know of is that its well...intelligent. The weapon has a mind of its own and is trying to assert itself. If its merely cursed then a simple clerical spell can remove it. If its intelligent...well you'll have to come to terms with the sword. Did you feel anything diffrent when you noticed the sword? The excess of some emotion?"

21. - Top - End - #441
    Halfling in the Playground

Nolan

You know you aren't going anywhere without me little sister. Nolan smiles ruefully at Nyssa's back. He's too tired to talk her out of heading to the castle, dangerous though it may be. Plus, if there's one thing Nyssa's good at, it's talking and it looks to Nolan like there's going to be some need for sweeter parlance than the half-orc may be capable of. At the mention of arrows, Nolan wordlessly quickens his pace to place himself in front of Nyssa and behind Lumpy.

Why do they call him Lumpy anyway?

22. - Top - End - #442

Aeroz

Upon hearing Callos' speculation about his new weapon, the expression on his face turns to worry. "Mind of it's own? Are you saying that I may have been knowingly given a weapon that wants to act through me? It was one of Baran's associates, so it could just be a way of making sure that damn mission is completed. Is there any way you could know for sure??
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

23. - Top - End - #443

Tiriel
    Wordlessly joins the lizardman. She quickly realizes that there are no words she can share with him, so she just stands there quitetly.
    You saved my life more than once today friend, and I never got a chance to say 'thank you'. I'll never forget that you died trying to help us. I just wish I'd known you better.

Hearing the argument about going to the castle, she frowns. The houses are abandoned, there is no real reason to go to the castle tonight. We're hurt, and tiried, not deaf thank you she thinks. Yet, she finds it hard to care enough to point this out. She slides down and sits with her back agaist the wagon. We'll see how things work out...
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

24. - Top - End - #444
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yix

Yix looks at Achkby scracthing his head. He stops scratching and looks around fervently for something, apparently not finding it because his tiny little dragon shoulders drop as he lets out a deep sigh. He then looks at Achkby and does his best to flick his tongue out like a snake would. He then scoots up onto Achkby's shoulder, and surveys the rest of the group. "Where are they going?" Yix asks Achkby, as he wasn't paying attention to the debate about the castle.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Ogre in the Playground

Delphinia

"I wonder why these houses are abandoned?" She says it aloud, but not to anyone in particular. Delphinia elects to stay behind, keeping a watch behind them. An idiot child could follow their tracks.

26. - Top - End - #446

How large is Yix?

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer
    Achkby, confused by Yix's behavior, just mechanically follows the little dragon's gaze with his own. Good question.
    "Um... well, looks like, maybe that big building. Dun know why, though..." he replies.

He stares around into the dark, only now really noticing that they've arrived at something that resembles a destinization.
    Where are we? Hey... cold though they may be, those littler buildings look mighty inviting...

"Why aren't we in those houses?" he askls the world at large.
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

27. - Top - End - #447
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

Lissa points at the smoke coming from the castle's chimneys. "Looks like it's already nice and warm in the castle, and I'll bet they even have hot food. Hot tea, at least." She glances uneasily at one of the empty houses, stroking Cloudy's head as they ride by. "Besides, the people aren't in their houses for a reason. I bet that reason is some kind of monster. Or monsters." The gnome joins the group of people heading up to knock on the castle door.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

28. - Top - End - #448
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yix is about a foot tall, about triple that if tail is included

Yix

"They aren't ours." Yix replies calmly. The small dragon begins to shiver on the halflings shoulder as he lokos around at the empty streets and houses. A small growl from the tiny dragon seems to be questioning the emptyness of the place. The dragon hopes down and finds some more furs to throw on himself. As he generously covers himself he looks at Achkby again, he flicks his tongue trying to imitate a snake and tells Achkby that's he's never heard of a serpent, or one that has ever been orderly.

29. - Top - End - #449

Si'rene answers Callos' question. "The Kris itself is a wavy, double edged dagger." She pauses. "One might say that the blade was 'serpentine' in configuration ..."

Fizahn adds. "Now that you mention it, we did stumble upon an ancient burial ground in the Wetwoods filled with yuan-ti skeletons. Remember those barrows, Thokk? In fact, that burial ground wasn't that far from where we first met the druid. Apparently a whole tribe of lizardfolk still live in the swamp there, forgotten by us 'warm-blooded' types."

Aeroz, eyeing the serpentine filigree on the hilt of his rapier worriedly, begins to talk about Hlondeth, describing the Emerald City in as much detail as he can remember. Though the city seemed as normal as any other large metropolis, he does remember a restricted central area and rumors about the Queen being half-human and half-serpent. "The Emerald Guard itself seemed human enough, however ..."

Fizahn, Aeroz and Si'rene all fall silent as they ponder Callos' line of thinking.

[hr]
    The deserted village is quite creepy, even by moonlight. Some of you are uncomfortably reminded of another mysteriously empty set of dark buildings ...

The orange flames of the watchfires prove too alluring to resist. Soon you find yourselves approaching the fortified main gate of the keep. The road narrows as you near the castle, forcing your "army" into a narrow column.

A not unfriendly voice calls down from above. "It is a cold night for traveling, my friends. Who might you be and what business have you in Phent?"

30. - Top - End - #450
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Lumpy turns back to the column behind him speaking softly enough so as to not carry up to the keep,

"Hang back a bit fer now, but not like yer trying ta hide anything. Ya know, casual-like. . . But not TOO casual, keep on yer toes."

Hissing encouragement to his horse, Lumpy canters a bit ahead of ther column, turning sharply to present his profile in a gesture of good faith. Freed from the constraint of subtlety, his voice projects liberally, a good mixture of roughness and drawl that carries surprisingly well,

"Just a gaggle'a road-wearied travelers with business in the north! We'd be camped a few leagues ta the south, weren't fer that six-headed icelizard we run up on! Now we're nursing wounded, and a powerful desire fer shelter, should it be within yer graces ta provide!"