New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VI: Lake of Tears

Lumpy

Lumpy works his guisarme intensely, jerking it through a practice routine haltingly. The polearm was unfamiliar in his hands, but faded memories and ingrained experience lent themselves to his handling of it. It had been ten or more years since he'd last really used one, but he could still recall. . .

---

"No, no no, you daft orc! Aren't you listening to a word I've said?" The drillmaster rushed over to Edgar redfaced, bellowing, "You can't just wing it around like that! Even a polearm takes some finesse! Circles! Curve it around some!"

The young half-orc he addressed, barely of age unscarred and green as grass, growled under his breath at the chastisement. But nonetheless, he shifted his grip, redoubling his efforts.

---

The scar-crossed half-orc actually chuckles softly as he drills, his maneuvers gradually becoming smoother as mind and body adjust to the weapon, jerky lines shifting into easy rotation,

"Yeah, that'll do nice."

Finally, he jabs the haft of the polearm into the snow beside him, taking a moment to make sure everything else was in order. The rest of his weapons were secure, for all the use they'd be against the hydra. Nodding assurance, he settles down to wait.

2. - Top - End - #602
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

At first the necromancer was simply glad that a pair of guards hadn't opened the door and clasped him in irons. The bad news was that now that the door was open Callos wasn't sure which was the better option. Still, he had seen and expierenced much, he wouldn't be intimadated by a pampered noble woman. Meeting her gaze he dipped his head politetly before speaking.

"Lady Ulrich I've come to you to try and discover the source of your malcontent with your lord and resolve it if possible...as long as it doesn't take too long."
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

3. - Top - End - #603
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardman

Tiriel jumps, startled as a hand rests on her shoulder from behind.

"I have something for you", he says.

"for protect you" he mentions as his hand motion takes in her whole body.

She surmises that it must be some form of protection spell around her.

OOC: REady action to cast barkskin on Tiriel when he sees the scouts rushing back.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

4. - Top - End - #604
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yix

Yix paces back in forth in anticipation for teh storm to break the relative calm that the group is now experiencing. As he does this he rests the torch against his shoulder, as not to drop it in the snow.

5. - Top - End - #605
    Halfling in the Playground

Nolan

Nolan finishes his practice swings with a flourish, the quarterstaff spinning expertly around his back and neatly coming to a stop in his left hand. He grins at Nyssa, "Your penchant for helping others always seems to land me in the most danger, little sister."

6. - Top - End - #606

GreataxeFighterGirl

Nyssa

"Well, if you had any sense in your head, you'd simply stop tagging along after me, brother," Nyssa responds with a smile.

She'll set up somewhere she'll off to the side of the path of the cryohydra, in range of her spells. {40 feet, but she'll be a bit closer than that, perhaps 30.}

7. - Top - End - #607

Tiriel
    draws her longsword and rests it's tip in the snow before her. She tries to remember her last encounter with the hydra...
    six heads, 2 of which I severed, and hopfuly prevented from growing back. So 4 heads. In all things but the undead, parting the head from the body is the most damaging, so lopping off the 4 remaining heads with this many people shouldn't be much of a problem.

She jumps a little when the lizardman pats her shoulder, but she smiles at him and nods, "Thank you."

ooc: I have a bless spell for the day if none of the cleric types want to waste a slot, she'll cast it when she hears the hydra crashing through the snow.....on a one horse-open,...Nope I'm going to stop right there.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

8. - Top - End - #608
    Bugbear in the Playground

Elthan

So, that's what your up too then, Callos? At least he's found some intrigue in the day.

"I myself am here to see if I could implore the use of your window, if I would not be intreating on anything."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

9. - Top - End - #609
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trinark

Seeing his companions moving about making ready to do battle, he walks among them. He moves about reassuring everyone with a pat on the shoulder and a few words of encouragement. Viewed from a distance he looked like a Sergeant moving among soldiers before a large battle.

Trinark stops near Tiriel and his Lizardkin friend. "Take heart my friends, we will prevail against this beast we have faith and courage on our side." He nods reassuringly to the large Druid.

(OOC: I can take care of the Bless spell, save your magic if you like.)

10. - Top - End - #610
    Ogre in the Playground

Katrin

Katrin loads her crossbow. She scans the area for shadows to hide in, where she can be more effective in her attacks.
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

11. - Top - End - #611

Si'rene looks down her nose at Delphinia. The halfling appears to be a young adult of about 40, and in all likelihood Si'rene is three times her age. The elf opens her mouth for a moment after the "kid" comment, but then closes her mouth and says nothing. Instad, she simply nods and takes off into the woods, daring Delphinia and her dog to keep up with her.

Although the trees are bare, they are dense enough that within less than a minute, the dog rider and elf disappear from sight.

The rest of you settle in to wait, preparing your weapons and any magical enhancements for the ambush. You've chosen an open area approximately 40' wide, allowing you to hide among the trees and brush, hopefully concealed. Some of you are on one side of the clearing, others are on the other side. The mounts have been tucked away in a hollow, hopefully far enough away so that they won't be detected by any rampaging hydras that might be lured your way.

The sun rises slowly into a crisp, clear blue sky. The lizardman frowns. The forest seems to be unnaturally quiet, and this obviously bothers the druid. Katrin, too, seems unsettled. She paces back and forth restlessly before settling into the shade from an evergreen shrub.

[hr]
    Lady Ulrich ***** her head to one side, smoothing back the stray strands of her hair with one hand. Her fingers are long and elegant, with impeccably manicured nails.

She pauses, then laughs. "Come inside, if you wish."

She steps back, holding open the door for you. The room is round, with a set of stairs rising to a second floor above. Windows pierce the stone at the cardinal points, allowing a clear view to the north, south, east and west. Despite the season, the room is quite warm; in fact, the windows are open, allowing in refreshingly cold air, that keeps the room from being stuffy.

Several tables are scattered about the room, with open books, scrolls, and various bottles lying upon them. A large silver bowl sits on a round pedestal in the center of the room. A raven sits on top of a stone bust of a distinguished looking man that appears to be serving as a large paperweight for a bundle of loose parchment.

Lady Ulrich ***** her eyebrow as she watches Callos and Elthan to see how they will react.

OOC: I need to know who is to the right, who is to the left, and who is at the front edge of the clearing ...

12. - Top - End - #612
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Necromancer's Pact VI: Lake of Tears

Callos

If I didn't know any better I would say Lady Ulrich here is either a mage or an alchemist....gods above I hope its not the latter and shes trying to make a love potion for her husband. That'll just make things so much harder.

"Lady Ulrich you seem to be a learned and knowledgeable woman and if I were to guess I would say you have perhaps had some training in the mystical arts. And if I remember correctly you said thats whats yours is ours and I would like to...take you up on this offer."

Taking a deep breath the middle aged man stepped into the and took in the scene with a respectful eye. It seemed to be a fine center of learning and also more then that. Now heres' the hard part..

"I also believe that me questioning you about your unhappiness, assuming you would answer, would take far too long to complete for me to have any time to help you. So I ask for something of yours for a time. I ask to be allowed into your thoughts, please hear me out! It is naught but a mind reading spell and I may only hear what your..surface thoughts are. If you are willing please allow me into your mind while you think about the problem. It will save much time and will give you a degree of diginity in case others might be listening whom you don't want too."

He spoke encourginly and pleadingly. While the necromancer knew nothing of honeyed words, fancy speech (Non-magical fancy speech), royalty, or how to convince someone he hoped that his sheer honesty would convince her to agree to the suggestion.

If she agrees

Taking up a spot across from the Lady Ulrich his hands made the familiar and well used symbols for his mind reading spell. Once complete he closes his eyes with a sigh and focuses the spell unto the coldly beautiful woman. Trying to ease the tension of he asks off-hand.

"So...around how old are you Lady Ulrich? Your husband seems more like a child then a proper husband."

((OOC: Detect Thoughts))
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

13. - Top - End - #613
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Ach lads, this be it! We are going to destroy a foul beast, one that shall not exist! We have seen some strange un-natural oddities in our journies, but this beastie is near the top of the list. Lumpy, give 'em hell. Ill take the left lad, hold the right."

*Thokk paces around, readies his shield, and prepares to attack. He crouches behind his shield for full concealment and readies an action to attack when the hydra apporaches*

14. - Top - End - #614

Achkby is behind the line on Lissa's side. ;)

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

Achkby stays a good ten feet behind the line of ready fighters, his arms resolutely crossed. He bounces on the balls of his feet, tossing his weight from foot to foot in a combination of nerves and a desire to stay warm.

And, Hlal, here I am. What is the point? How did I get myself mixed up in this? If only I had convinced them all to come with me on the quest!
    Not that I actually care about that, I just want to get them away from... well, no, that's not true, either. I do care! Once I thoguht about it. But I only suggested it in the first place... well, after Callos... because I didn't want to fight this draconic beast.
    By the Gods, Achkby, you're such an idiot!
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

15. - Top - End - #615

ooc: Tiriel will be in the center of the left side of the clearing (does that make sense?)
    & won't cast bless ;)
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel

16. - Top - End - #616
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

With the runners on their way and a hydra encounter presumably imminent, Lumpy nods curtly to Thokk. He shoulders his weapon, stalking back across the clearing to take a position beyond the treeline there. He wasn't particularily inconspicuous, his bulky armored form reflecting sunlight dully in contrast to the natural tones of the forest. Regardless, he does his best to hunker out of sight behind a large tree, peeking out occasionally to keep his bearings.

Gnarled hands shift along the haft of his guisarme, his mind running through stances and maneuvers even though his body has stilled. If he was quick enough, he could drop a head before the lizard knew what hit it, he was sure of it. With any luck, the others could do the same; there was a chance it might not be much of a fight. He hoped anyway, and hopes seldom made it far in combat.

((OOC Lumpy will take the front on the right side. he plans to wait until the hydra is within 20ft, if possible, before moving to engage. If others meet it further than that, he'll charge to cover the extra distance, but only if necessary))

17. - Top - End - #617
    Halfling in the Playground

Nolan

Seeing Lumpy move to prepare his ambush, Nolan takes his position on the left towards the front and out of sight, ready to meet the hydra when it arrives.

[If lighting his modified staff is a full turn action and if it will stay lit for a while he will light it now. Otherwise, if it's a move action and it has a limited burn time he will wait until a head has been severed before lighting it.]

18. - Top - End - #618
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hajih

Hajih crouches behind cover on the left side, his two throwing axes in hand.

Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'

19. - Top - End - #619

GreataxeFighterGirl

Nyssa

Nyssa moves off to the left, within easy eyeshot of her brother, and range for her spells. She'll send Orestes into the air to give her warning as the hydra approaches.

When it gets within a hundred yards or so, she'll cast Spectral Hand.

20. - Top - End - #620

Fizahn:

Fizahn walks quietly over to the right side. He crouches down in some bushes stealthily and draws his 'short sword.' I hope the runners get back soon. Everything's too quiet. I sure hope this doesn't turn out to be a bad idea.

OOC: You want a hide roll Dr.? In any case, 21 (6+15)
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

21. - Top - End - #621
    Ogre in the Playground

Katrin

Katrin hides, crouching, in the shadow of the bush on the right side of the clearing. She holds her crossbow ready, her case of bolts open and easily accessible. She waits in nervous anticipation for the hydra's appearance.

When it gets within easy shooting range, she'll fire at whichever head is nearest, aiming for an eye or another sensitive spot.
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

22. - Top - End - #622

Lizardkin Druid

The savage druid did not take a front and center position. Instead, he stood behind Tiriel.

Seeming like he was adopting a ranged position. His shield was slung across his back and his hands were free to cast spells.

He glances to Thokk. The dwarf's earlier silence left his return from death still a mystery to him. Admittedly, he knew little about the warmbloods still. The notion that a deity could interfere in the natural course of life and death while uncomfortable, was one of personal relief to him. It had reunited him with Cloudhair.

The drow cleric stood beside Flamesword and him now. In response to his well-wish, the druid pats his shoulder and looks 'happier'.

He turns back to the dwarf and wonders if a deity interfered for him as well.

It seemed less likely. Some creatures had been known to grow still in the cold but to reawaken in the heat of a new season. The hairy one's body had been devoured by a monstrous ooze.

Shaking these thoughts out of his head, he hears an owl flap off one of the strange humans.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

23. - Top - End - #623
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yix

Yix goes to whatever area seems light on people. He holds his burning torch at the ready, waiting for the hydra to come and strike.

24. - Top - End - #624
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trinark

Trinark makes his own final preparations for the coming battle. He readies his shield, but leaves his glorious bastard sword in its sheath. He wanted to leave one had free to cast spells at the beginning of the fight.

He made no great effort to conceal himself, knowing that in the daylight his skills from the Underdark would be of little use. However, not being a fool, he put his back against a tree occasionally peeking around it to see it the others were coming yet. Trinark also tried to keep as many of his companions in sight, he seemed especially concerned about Tiriel and the Druid.

25. - Top - End - #625

Elthan

Elthan feels quite comfortable in the room as opposed to the cold corridors of stone elswhere. He picks up a random vial and swirls the contents in his hands.
    "Your not the kind to stike me as an alchemist on first impression, though I'll have to recall that thought now. I haven't had much time for the craft, but would definetly invest in a laboratory like this if I knew I could get some use out of it. About how long have you had this?", Elthan inquires curiously.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

26. - Top - End - #626

Lady Ulrich smiles patronizingly at Callos.

"What makes you think that I have a problem that needs solving? And moreover, even if I did have a problem, what makes you think that you would have a solution to it?"

Lady Ulrich turns to Elthan, pleased that he seems interested in her work.

"I've been interested in alchemy and the arcane arts since I was a little girl. My father, the previous Lord of Phent, saw that I had an aptitude for magic and allowed me to pursue my interests up in this tower to my heart's content."

She seems to enjoy having visitors, and she steps over to the silver bowl, waving Callos and Elthan over.

"This is what I was doing when you arrived ..."

As they peek over her shoulder, they see images in the still water. It is an outdoor scene showing bare trees and patches of snow covering the forest floor. At first they see nothing of interest, but as they peer closer they can make out their friends hiding amongst the trees and evergreen bushes ...

[hr]
    Everyone settles into position, forming a rough 'V' along the edges of the clearing.

Along the left side of the clearing, Thokk stands at the farthest forward point, having set up his tower shield between two trees. He places a few evergreen branches in front to create some crude camouflage.

Nolan stands close to the dwarf, ready to light his quarterstaff to sear any wounds Thokk inflicts on the hydra. Nyssa crouches behind her brother and sends her owl into the branches above to provide an early warning for when the hydra approaches.

In the center of the left side of the clearing, Tiriel stands behind a tree, the lizardman druid just behind her shoulder. Her sword is bared and small flames flicker along its edges.

Hajih crouches toward the 'point' of the 'V' along with Lissa and Achkby.

Farther forward, along the right side, Fizahn crouches behind a bush, readying his sword. Katrin is invisible, hidden in the shadows of another bush nearby.

Trinark stands with his back to a tree, squinting in the bright daylight. He stands on the opposite side of the clearing from Tiriel and the lizardman.

Farther forward on the right side (opposite to Thokk) is Lumpy, armed with his guisarme. The pseudodragon crouches at the half-orc's feet, ready to act as Lumpy's "burner".

At first everyone's attention is directed forward into the woods, but as hours pass, people begin to shift uncomfortably. Muscles cramp and cold dampness begins to seep through everyone's furs as each person sits as motionless and silently as possible.

Everyone waits .... and waits ... and ... waits ...

27. - Top - End - #627
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yix

Yix looks up questioningly, and silently asks"Shouldn't some have happened by now?"

28. - Top - End - #628
    Ogre in the Playground

Katrin

Katrin concentrates on the pseudodragon. I was just thinking that... I hope S'irene's alright...
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #629

GreataxeFighterGirl

Nyssa

Nyssa leans on her quarterstaff. She could wait for an eternity if she needed to.

Looking at the small psuedodragon across the way, who she assumes the thought came from, she tries to comfort him, "I don't know. I've never hunted a hydra before. Those that went seemed very skilled, though."

30. - Top - End - #630

Tiriel
    it's been too quite for far too long.
    She looks at the lizardman, [color=purple]"Wait here. I'm going to check something."[/i] Projecting to Yix , she says,I'm going to go check something, I might be gone for a little while, but try to keep everyone here, or if it takes too long, return to the keep. Just keep everyone in a group.

Before she leaves, she nods across the clearing to Lissa.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel