New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default [Nexus] Outside 15-There used to be a silly pun here, but it wouldn't fit

This place is just as it sounds. It's outside.
    Want a change of scenery? Go outside.
    Always wanted to visit the beach? Come outside.
    Looking to have a climatic fight on clifftops? Attempt outside.
    Secret meetings being held where there's no cameras? Try outside.
    Want an ambush without nasty base defenses? Yep. Outside.

Any and all are welcome here. There are no NPCs unless you bring them in. The major exception is the creepy eyed squirrel. The creepy eyed squirrel does not interfere with anyone. The creepy eyed squirrel is everywhere outside. The creepy eyed squirrel is always watching. The creepy eyed squirrel never sleeps. The creepy eyed squirrel can not be damaged, manipulated, or killed by anyone. The creepy eyed squirrel will eat anyone's very being who attempts to do so. Anyone can god-mode the creepy eyed squirrel. You may pet the creepy eyed squirrel at your own risk.

Other NPCs currently include:
    The menacing crabs. These intimidating creatures are usually found by the shore.
    The non-existant duck. You'll miss every time you shoot at it.

There is very little you can't do outside. However, like always, please follow the forum rules and general rules of conduct. Private conversations can be held outside. If it seems like a private (secret) conversation, please respect that. Those having such a conversation should do their best to indicate it as such. Otherwise, other characters may stumble upon you. Those desiring to spy in on private conversations should first PM those holding the private conversation, more out of courtesy than anything else.

There are many areas outside, and people can be in multiple places outside. In order to keep areas outside separated so there's no confusion, consider bolding your outside location at the start of each of your posts, like so:

The Fields

Reinholdt sets up various targets and practices his sharpshooting. All these events recently has made him a bit rusty. To his left, he notes the creepy eyed squirrel. Giving him the heebie-jeebies, Reinholdt decides to head somewhere else.
    The Cliffside

Calublufiok broods over his latest scheme as he flies over the cliffs. The creepy eyed squirrel is watching him again. He finds occasionally landing and telling the creepy eyed squirrel his plans helps him find holes in his plotting.

Note Reinholdt and Calublufiok do not interact because they are in different areas outside. They could interact, if Reinholdt moves to the cliffside. Of course, various things like telepathy help bypass this. Also, please note outside has no major buildings, though minor ones crop up from time to time.

And most importantly, enjoy outside. That's what this is all about.

Outside now contains various Outside locations! Such as...
    Spoiler
    Show
    [Dead Pine Lake]
    Spoiler
    Show
    This lake lies in the middle of the forest. On the eastern shore, woodpeckers feast on the dead pines that give the lake its name. Sometimes one can find Lady Death here, the Aspect of Eve also known as The Grandmother, or Jedwiga.

(Please PM happyturtle if you wish to interact with Jedwiga.)

Spoiler
    Show

[The Islands]
    Spoiler
    Show

An island cluster forms an archipelago along the coast. Some of the islands are settled, some not, but most are at least occasionally visited by the fishermen who work these waters.

[Gersemi's Island]
    Spoiler
    Show

Gersemi the seighkona lives on a small island in the archipelago with a single hut and a few sheep. Inside the hut, there is a single room, and a fireplace. A loom rests in one corner.

(Please PM happyturtle if you wish to interact with Gersemi.)

[Redbrick Falls]
    Spoiler
    Show

A mountainous, cliffy region with a prominent waterfall. A large quarry once was worked in these cliffs. Now, only a few scattered villages and solitary dwellings remain.

[Castle Silhouette]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Genesis' base of operations.

[Club Banana]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Here be primates of all sorts and much silliness? An aircraft hanger turned into a club used exclusively by intelligent apes.

[Norosa, Great City of the Elves]
    Spoiler
    Show
    A Lawful Evil city with an incredibly strong military and a very charismatic leader (Archmage Tyrion Lannister). It has a few CG resisters, but, otherwise, it is a city of peace and law, despite its evil nature.

[Brillian's Baneful Bestiary]
    Spoiler
    Show
    A secret series of caves where a mad scientist lives. A mad scientist who creates mutant attack creatures. These can be purchased for the right price.

[Auxiliary MagCave]
    Spoiler
    Show

A relic from the days of the Age of Apocalypse, this abandoned cavern was once used by the infamous cyborg Magtok as a back-up laboratory and underground fortress, should Calublufiok have ever stormed the primary MagCave.

PM Reinholdt Whoever's posted the current Outside thread if you wish to add locations to Outside.

Special: Reinholdt will update the Outside threads and post new ones when it is time. Please don't post a new thread without his permission or he is away for an extended period of time. Irrelevant, as he's gone now.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by Lord Magtok; 2010-06-16 at 04:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Outside 15-Those who study the moon are optimists. They look at the bright side.

A massive Irish Wolfhound is busy chasing the creepy one-eyed squirrel when suddenly a telewarp portal appears.

Abandoning the chase, he commences to barking madly at the portal.

Rauuuf! Rau rau rau rau rau! Rauf!

For reference:
    Spoiler
    Show
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Outside 15-Those who study the moon are optimists. They look at the bright side.

marcus appears with the sack still over his head "where am I? I demand you tell me!"

thanks beansy!
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Slave Market

This is where the silver people-carrier arrives. Harry, the man wearing a posh tailored suit and sunglasses and also the driver, gets out first, followed closely by Natalie. The car is in a grassy field with a variety of carts, cars, vans, lorries, hovervehicles, and other modes of conveyance from a variety of places and times.

The slave market itself is a collection of brightly-coloured tents and wagons encircling a wooden platform, but it's organised in such a way that this central area is not visible from outside the slave market. The children may note the main entrance has, in addition to the admission booth, a larger wagon nearby with no windows and a fire outside.
    Nimai and Mara get out of the car and look around as well.

"This is the carnival? It doesn't sound like there's many people having fun," Nimai comments.

5. - Top - End - #5

Somewhere Near The Well-Disguised Entrance to the AuxMagCave

Magtok grins as he steps through the portal after Marcus.

I was rather hoping you'd ask that. Elly, would you hold him down for a minute or two while I get the bees ready?

Wait...what? Bees?!
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson

6. - Top - End - #6

Slave Market

Holly jumps out of the car after them and coments, "Back home the carnival usually didn't start until late in the day. Maybe we're the first ones here?"
    Avatar by Vulion. Vectored by me.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post

Magtok grins as he steps through the portal after Marcus.

I was rather hoping you'd ask that. Elly, would you hold him down for a minute or two while I get the bees ready?

Wait...what? Bees?!
    marcus tries to take the sack off "sir, what in the name of hell are you doing?"

thanks beansy!
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

[Not-A-Carnival]

"Ooooh, I hope we are the first!" Jamie grins, jumping up and down and clapping her hands. "That means the cotton candy and funnel cakes will be totally fresh!"

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Abigail nods, and grins!

...now, it would be a good idea to knock them out now, before they find out they've been duped.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Rau rau rau rau rau!

The Irish Wolfhound continues barking at Magtok, Elly, and their prisoner, though less madly now that the freaky telewarp thingy is gone.

Still sounds scary though.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

11. - Top - End - #11

Carnival Slave Market

Both of the foxchildren have gotten out of the van quickly, because fear of being inside is only amplified by carsickness. Sinopa's face looks pale, but she also looks like she'll get over it soon enough.

"Should we get in line now?" asks the guy to nobody in particular. "I heard they're supposed to have long lines. Then again, we're the first, so...what now?"
    I'm gone for a couple of years!
    I'm off doing service in developing countries in South America
    (Very little chance of internet access) - I'll try to come back afterwards

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Jamie, noticing Sinopa's paleness, quickly hurries over to give her adopted sister a careful hug. "Aww...you'll be OK, right?" she asks, even as she starts looking around for the line.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

13. - Top - End - #13
    Halfling in the Playground

Interior; Bronze Pyramid

"Nothing so specific. We have chambers filled with religious artifacts, magical objects of great power, and technologies. Perhaps some of these may be of use?" The necrotechnomantic construct starts up the routemaster's engine and starts to drive. Should B-27 look out of the window, they pass skeletons, statues, plants, robots, and lots of other objects of historic, scientific, magical, or religious value. There's even a rack of hairdryers of different designs and from different time periods and planets.
    B-27 scratches the back of his head. "Hm. Well, what about technologies that seem to work without actually doing anything? Or technologies so advanced, they appear to be magic?" The slave turns to the window, watching the artifacts roll by. "Oh, I do wish I could see it all. But duty calls, I suppose."

Large Field, currently being converted to IEA Base Camp

Dozens upon dozens of part-reptilian GESS personel swarm through the field, pitching tents and canvases as swiftly as they have a thousand times before. This is easily observable from pretty much anywhere nearby or high up.

The massive, black-orange battlesuits stride deftfully amidst the hustle and bustle, watching over their fellow slaves as they work. Tent after tent rises, and soon, these tents are filled with many and varied technological devices. Radars, scanners, databases, research probes, computers. The new base camp expands outward into a wide circle, consisting of at least two or three dozen tents.

In the center of the tents can still be seen the wide, bulky birth of the IEA transport cruiser, it's massive rocket engines now quiet and empty. Yet more equipment can be seen endlessly being unloaded from the vessel.

After the battlesuits comes walking a single, orange lizard-folk, completely protected by plates of mythril armor. A robe bearing the acronym of the IEA swirls about his person. He looks at the hybrid human-lizards, nothing more than humans given scales and a few other reptilian traits, with a mix of contempt and impatience. His name was Vazz.

His predator's eyes whirl on one A-20, a female slave only recently out of her growth tube. She appears to be having some trouble with a tentpost, it will not stay in the ground. "I thought I said 'set up a base camp', A-20. Not stand around twiddling your thumbs."

A-20 turns towards Vazz. She still had the form and figure of a human. It was mostly the reptile eyes and the scales that differed GESS slaves from normal humans. Made them more efficient, more intelligent, more like lizard-folk. Or that was supposed to be the case. To Vazz, they were nothing more than disgusting mongels. Some of them had actually tried to reproduce (an urge that was quickly suppressed in the next generation), a thought that sickened the lizard-folk yet further. Mammalian reproduction was so... Gods, it made him want to vomit.

The hybrid's voice wavers. She fears him. Good. "I'm sorry, sir. I cannot seem to set this tent pole right. I can't get it to stay still." She shrinks back almost reflexively, as do those other hybrids around her. She knows what's coming.

A-20 doesn't even see his hand raise. She is thrown backwards by the force of the blow, hitting the ground very hard. Two other slaves move to help her up. Vazz licks his lips irritably. No, that was not necessary. He's just cranky and needs an outlet for his rage. But as papa always said, why not take out anger on the idiots who aren't doing things the way you want them to? "Now. Get someone else to pitch that tent-pole, A-20. You should know better."

She is still dazed, a bit of blood falling from her lip. "I said now, A-20. Or would you like to find out why I always carry a sword?" His voice becomes as cold as ice.

One of the other slaves moves to place the pole, this one's muscles fully grown. "Thank you."Vazz remarks, before turning back to his walk.

The lizard-folk makes his way towards a tent on the edge of the camp, discovering A-26 in her usual spot. Surveying. It seemed, almost, she could not stop doing the task that she was built for: observing and collecting. Hell, it seemed she already had samples from every plant in the area.

"Well done, A-26." Vazz remarks. "I'll have one of the research ops pick those up."

A-26 stands at attention upon hearing his voice, staying straight as a board. She was one of the best GESS on hand, and Vazz would not let that go to waste. "I want you on the first urban op. I need surveys of the entire area, and any documents you can find relating to the origin of the civilization and it's history."

He opens up a holo-map, showing her what looks to be a city. Inside. "This place was picked up when our first battlesuits arrived. I need you to get there. Take a stealthsuit."

A-26 nods wordlessly. Vazz smiles a vile, toothy grin. "Good. Get to work the moment night falls."
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hereforth known as : SWNTW-DEAMC Wait, that's almost as bad as the full title...

"Hey now, you have to keep the bag on your head or you'll never know if he was, maybe, lying or not about there, possibly, being scary africanized bees." Elle tries to keep it down on the guy's face, "Just the bees? I wanted to do something with the mango, half pound of butter and staples."
    Spoiler
    Show

All Avatars by Elder Tsofu!

15. - Top - End - #15

NTEAMC

So do I, dear, so do I, but he's a total newbie to this sort of thing so we've got to start off light here. I mean, I don't think this guy's even died before.

Magtok pulls out an odd metal tube with a loud buzzing sort of sound coming from within, the sort of noise a huge swarm of bees might make if they happened to be in a very bad mood.

Before we do anything Marcus, there was that one lady who came up with the whole plan for marrying you off to Margaret and such. Would you mind telling me what you can about her?
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

16. - Top - End - #16

HalfOrcPirate

Farmhouse
    Slowly, in the distance, a farmboy jogs, presumably followed by Wenomir. He slows down as the two approach the cottage. It's a nice little cabin, built with logs. Behind and around the house are a few acres of farmland. In the front yard, there is a target made from a burlap sack, with a bullseye painted on.
    Something about the house seems eerie, though.
    Dr, Bath's Dolly!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    NTEAMC

So do I, dear, so do I, but he's a total newbie to this sort of thing so we've got to start off light here. I mean, I don't think this guy's even died before.

Magtok pulls out an odd metal tube with a loud buzzing sort of sound coming from within, the sort of noise a huge swarm of bees might make if they happened to be in a very bad mood.

Before we do anything Marcus, there was that one lady who came up with the whole plan for marrying you off to Margaret and such. Would you mind telling me what you can about her?
    "oh...her...I can't remeber her name, but I remember she was a member of the celebration foundation..or something like that..a kind of mob or mafia...and please don't kill me......"

thanks beansy!
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Falgorn View Post
    Farmhouse
    Slowly, in the distance, a farmboy jogs, presumably followed by Wenomir. He slows down as the two approach the cottage. It's a nice little cabin, built with logs. Behind and around the house are a few acres of farmland. In the front yard, there is a target made from a burlap sack, with a bullseye painted on.
    Something about the house seems eerie, though.
    Wenomir follows the boy there. So. You were saying your house was attacked by shadows, right?
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by iElf View Post
    "oh...her...I can't remeber her name, but I remember she was a member of the celebration foundation..or something like that..a kind of mob or mafia...and please don't kill me......"
    ((Allow me to interject that it is, in fact, the Celebritarian Foundation. If the mixup was intentional, I apologize.
    Celebration foundation sounds like something out of Party Monster.))
    Last edited by Beans; 2010-06-16 at 03:33 PM.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Spoiler: My Stories And Things
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Wenomir follows the boy there. So. You were saying your house was attacked by shadows, right?
    [Farmhouse]
    "Yessir, right in here..." The boy continues forward to the door, nervously pushing it open before hiding behind Wenomir.
    Dr, Bath's Dolly!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Falgorn View Post
    [Farmhouse]
    "Yessir, right in here..." The boy continues forward to the door, nervously pushing it open before hiding behind Wenomir.
    Wenomir draws his sword and enters.
    Last edited by Morty; 2010-06-16 at 03:36 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

NTEAMC

The Irish Wolfhound notices that the three people he has been barking at have yet to acknowledge his existence. He lowers his ears and tail and whines a little.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

23. - Top - End - #23

HalfOrcPirate

Wenomir draws his sword and enters.
    [Farmhouse]
    In the house is...nothing. It seems calm and tranquil. The fire crackles, the flames jumping up and down the fireplace. It seems too good to be true, until Wenomir would notice the corpse of a woman lying on the table.
    Dr, Bath's Dolly!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

[Farmhouse]

Wenomir approaches the table slowly, the true sight still active.

25. - Top - End - #25

NTEAMC

Elle shrugs haplessly at Magtok and ties a cord around the bag, then goes to play with the puppy! "Aww, lookit you. Aren't you adooorable?" D'aww, puppy. "Who do you belong to? Huh? Huh?" Leaving Magtok to do whatever he wants? Oh noes! That's a terrible idea!
    Spoiler
    Show

All Avatars by Elder Tsofu!

26. - Top - End - #26

HalfOrcPirate

[Farmhouse]

Wenomir approaches the table slowly, the true sight still active.
    [Farmhouse]
    The boy follows Wenomir cautiosly. He had picked up a stick from the ground outside, and he lights it in the fireplace. He waves it over the woman's corpse. "It looks like they left..."
    As that is said, something behind Wenomir scuttles across the floor.
    Dr, Bath's Dolly!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

[Farmhouse]

Wenomir turns around quickly, sword at the ready.

28. - Top - End - #28

HalfOrcPirate

[Farmhouse]

Wenomir turns around quickly, sword at the ready.
    [Farmhouse]

It was a rat, shuffling across the floor, the flames now making its shadow larger. In an instant, the shadow peels itself off of the floor, flying towards Wenomir.
    Dr, Bath's Dolly!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

[Farmhouse]

Wenomir backs away, making two quick slashes at the shadow with his highly magical sword.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Slave Market

"Yes. We are here early, that is why nobody is around. Besides, we're currently outside the carnival, all the fun is inside, where we can't hear it. Could you all follow me, please?" Like with the 'tickets' back in GLoG, Natalie is using her mind control on the last sentance; the girls (and Tokala) should feel compelled to obey, in fact slightly more mind-control is being used now than to convince them that blank pieces of paper were carnival tickets.

Natalie will (if the mind-control is successful) lead the girls to the admission booth, with Harry-the-adult behind so none run off. Once at the admission booth, Harry will talk to the gnome inside the booth as Natalie tries to lead the girls into the other shack, the windowless one with a chimney spouting smoke into the air (the one which in original post had the fire outside, but I retconned it inside).

Inside the Bronze Pyramid

"Technology that resembles magic? Yes, we do. Unfortunately for you, most technology appears magical to somebody that does not understand it. How advanced are we talking, here? And as to technology that does nothing, we have a lot of that, too. But it is strictly not for show until an Encyclopede understands what it does and how it works. After all, a gieger counter appears to do nothing in an area without any background radiation, and most technological devices fail to work completely when they are disconnected to a powersupply. Could you perhaps be more... Specific?" The routemaster continues down corridors and hallways, passing more of the same. Notable are a twelve-foot-tall humanoid skeleton with two heads, a black thing studded with gold spheres and three stalks at the front; the highest ending with an orb, one with a sucker and the third ending stalk composed of a hollow tube with a ridged outside, as well as a giant stone head.
    Last edited by Earl of Purple; 2010-06-16 at 05:04 PM.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!