New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Banned

Default Re: Several Silly Sealions Stuffed Seaweed Southward Swiftly (Or, Random Banter #143)

I see ... Or not.

The reason I asked is I uploaded an avatar using Imageshack, and I cant see it ... Can anybody else see it?

2. - Top - End - #422
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Several Silly Sealions Stuffed Seaweed Southward Swiftly (Or, Random Banter #143)

Quote Originally Posted by Introbulus View Post
    Doggie, do not go into the Critical Fail/Success topic. I don't know if you'll be able to handle what you find in there.

On the topic of CVs/Resumes, is it at all important what sort of design goes into your resume? In other words, does it make a whole lot of difference if the resume has a unique look to it? Or is there really no difference at all?
    Whats important with a resume is that its properly formated and easy to read. If you have so much info its in more then one page, then its important for the first page to list the most relevent experence to the job your applying for. I never heard of a CV though.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Ogre in the Playground

Seeing Introbulus' avatars always make me happy for some reason.

<<
    >>

That is all.

4. - Top - End - #424

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Barbarian View Post
    I see ... Or not.

The reason I asked is I uploaded an avatar using Imageshack, and I cant see it ... Can anybody else see it?
    You didnt actualy uplod it or you changed the file name because i looked at the url of your image and it gives a 404 not found error

5. - Top - End - #425
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderMew View Post
    You didnt actualy uplod it or you changed the file name because i looked at the url of your image and it gives a 404 not found error
    OK, thanks. To Photobucket it is then :)

6. - Top - End - #426

Whats important with a resume is that its properly formated and easy to read. If you have so much info its in more then one page, then its important for the first page to list the most relevent experence to the job your applying for. I never heard of a CV though.
    CV = Curriculum Vitae. It's just what we call a resume over on this side of the pond.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

A résumé and a CV (curriculum vitae) are the same thing.

You should do your best to find a way to get your résumé/CV to at least two pages but should make sure that it is no more than four pages. Also, you shouldn't print it double sided.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

8. - Top - End - #428
    Ettin in the Playground

I remember I made a CV earlier this summer. It was only a formality, as I already got the job, but it was a learning experience nonetheless.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Banned

How old are the people on these forums? I mean, having jobs and actually doing work ... Im only 15 ... >.>
    Last edited by Bacon Barbarian; 2010-07-18 at 10:46 AM.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Banned

I am twenty, but I harbour the bitter resent of a century.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Player_Zero View Post
    And thus, Brooke is you avatar :P

12. - Top - End - #432
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm pretty cynical and world weary. Compared to Zero I'm a complete optimist.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Firbolg in the Playground

How old are the people on these forums? I mean, having jobs and actually doing work ... Im only 15 ... >.>
    We range between eight and middle-aged, I think.

And thus, Brooke is you avatar :P
    Maybe he wears it ironically?
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

14. - Top - End - #434
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    Eight! I had no idea this forum went so young.
    Currently RPG group playing: Endworld (D&D 5e. A Homebrewed post-apocalyptic supplement.)

My campaign settings: Azura; 10,000 CE | The Frozen Seas | Bloodstones (Paleolithic Horror) | AEGIS - The School for Superhero Children | Iaphela (5e, Elder Scrolls)

15. - Top - End - #435
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cealocanth View Post
    Eight! I had no idea this forum went so young.
    I didnt know ANY forum went so young, and most other forums I'm on are for Pokemon ... >.>

16. - Top - End - #436

No, no, the person to whom you're referring is nine years old. And we do have grandparents on this forum, so we've got a good spread.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

17. - Top - End - #437
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Crown of Thorns View Post
    I'm pretty cynical and world weary. Compared to Zero I'm a complete optimist.
    And yet I'm still short of my 'hating everyone in existence' goal! Not long now though I reckon.

Not joking.

Maybe he wears it ironically?
    My bitter antipathy is limited to reality. I have nothing against fictional skeletal musicians.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Ettin in the Playground

This is coming late, but according to the Dante test I'm in purgatory. which doesn't make much sense given my religious beliefs but whatever. Apparently I 'pass'.

Interesting that it's JUST the inferno. Wouldn't it be interesting to have the whole Divine Comedy - Inferno, Purgatorio, AND Paradiso? Even if admittedly Inferno is the most interesting of the lot. Not that any of us would make it past Purgatory at the most, no one conforms to medieval standards of conduct. Still. In my opinion the most interesting thing about Dante's stuff is who he chose to put where anyway (Saladin was a "virtuous unbeliever" but Muhammad is trailing his entrails waaaaaaaay down there . .. whaaaaaat?), and also that he championed the vernacular so strongly.

[/tangent]

Quote Originally Posted by MountainKing View Post
    I dunno, Watership Down for me still has a neck-and-neck contender in the Pink Elephants on Parade sequence in Dumbo. The difference being that, while I can recognize the psychotic nature in Watership Down, I am seldom moved by it, while Pink Elephants on Parade has on more than one occasion given me nightmares (as an adult ONLY; as a child, I thought it was hilarious), and once even made me freak out.
    The trippy heffalump dream sequence in Disney's Winnie the Pooh also gave me nightmares.

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    No, no, the person to whom you're referring is nine years old. And we do have grandparents on this forum, so we've got a good spread.
    What regular poster is 9?

Also Zeb is a grandfather but I'm pretty sure he's around my parents' age, which is pretty young.

19. - Top - End - #439

My bitter antipathy is limited to reality. I have nothing against fictional skeletal musicians.
    This is good to know. The world is a far better place if you enjoy fictional skeletal musicians.

Spoiler
    Show
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

20. - Top - End - #440
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    A résumé and a CV (curriculum vitae) are the same thing.
    Actually, at least here in the US, they're not. A resume is for normal folks applying for normal work. A CV is typically not subject the same shortness that a resume is and is normally reserved for people applying to positions in academia or research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post

Also Zeb is a grandfather but I'm pretty sure he's around my parents' age, which is pretty young.
    That sounds to be about catlover's age, but she mostly posts in SMBG when she does.

Also, I'm 38. Probably about right to be your dad's age, yes.
    Last edited by Zeb The Troll; 2010-07-18 at 11:38 AM.
    Want to meet some of the most awesome people on the internet? Come to the Baltimore/DC Area RenFest Meetup 2012!

21. - Top - End - #441
    Troll in the Playground

My belief is that he is referring to Penny, who has always claimed to be 9.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    ...How does one cuddle mercilessly?
    Curse your Introbulosity!

22. - Top - End - #442
    Banned

This is good to know. The world is a far better place if you enjoy fictional skeletal musicians.
    I often sing this one to myself in the shower, in fact.

But who here would ever understand that the Player_Zero, with the skeleton avatar, would tire of his crown? If they only understood.
    Last edited by Player_Zero; 2010-07-18 at 11:41 AM.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Banned

Spoiler
    Show
    Don't blame people with Necrophilia for having good tatse in music.

I think that's the weirdest thing I've ever posted ...
    Last edited by Bacon Barbarian; 2010-07-18 at 11:38 AM.

24. - Top - End - #444

I had thought there were a few people of that age, although I had included Penny, missing by a year.

Penny67 is, and I thought there were older people, who just didn't happen to be grandparents.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

25. - Top - End - #445
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Indeed, Zeb's certainly not the oldest poster on the boards. I'm not sure who would be.

And Curly, definitely include a cover letter for each job. It shows that that you actually care about the position.

I was outzombied by the baby!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Amotis View Post
    Alarra ate all my awesome and now she's always acknowledged as awe-inspiring awesome. Alliteration aside, Alarra is awesome.

26. - Top - End - #446

This is coming late, but according to the Dante test I'm in purgatory. which doesn't make much sense given my religious beliefs but whatever. Apparently I 'pass'.

Interesting that it's JUST the inferno. Wouldn't it be interesting to have the whole Divine Comedy - Inferno, Purgatorio, AND Paradiso? Even if admittedly Inferno is the most interesting of the lot. Not that any of us would make it past Purgatory at the most, no one conforms to medieval standards of conduct. Still. In my opinion the most interesting thing about Dante's stuff is who he chose to put where anyway (Saladin was a "virtuous unbeliever" but Muhammad is trailing his entrails waaaaaaaay down there . .. whaaaaaat?), and also that he championed the vernacular so strongly.

[/tangent]
    I know! It's one of the reasons I found it such an amusing test. You can understand though why they only do the Inferno test. Heck, the only reason my family knows about the entire COmedy is because of me. Plus they're all geeky enough to know that there are other parts to it, but they didn't know their names until I told them.
    I'll admit that I'm a little remiss when it comes to the Comedy as I keep getting distracted by it eveyr time I pick it up; most notably on the train up and down from the UK Meetup I didn't make it through six cantos on either journey.
    I stand by my statement that Dante is one of the first people to practice self-insertion mary sue fanfiction though.
    I admire his invention of a new metre, and his daring in using the Italian vernacular (apparently roughly one-third of the Italian vocabulary can be found in the COmedy), but a little bit arrogant when he uses his terza rima as God's chosen method of speech. But what can you do?

I often sing this one to myself in the shower, in fact.

But who here would ever understand that the Player_Zero, with the skeleton avatar, would tire of his crown? If they only understood.
    So there's an empty place in you heart, and a longing that you've never known?

Quote Originally Posted by Alarra View Post
    And Curly, definitely include a cover letter for each job. It shows that that you actually care about the position.
    Thanks for the information Alarra.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

27. - Top - End - #447
    Banned

The other board I post on ranges from 12 to 60something so I'm not surprised this board has a similar range... the total number of posters over there is maybe a hundred? (that is, people who currently and actively visit the boards and post). Not close to the size of the board here.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb The Troll View Post
    Also, I'm 38. Probably about right to be your dad's age, yes.
    Heh. My parents are 42. So you're younger than they are.

My thirteen-year-old brother told me the other day that he expects me to have children as soon as possible because he loves babies and wanted to be an uncle. I told him "I'm only almost-nineteen, it might be a while..." and he said "You had better have kids by the time you're 25 or I'll disown you. I WANT TO BE AN UNCLE." Uh huh. Whatever, kid.

I stand by my statement that Dante is one of the first people to practice self-insertion mary sue fanfiction though.
    I admire his invention of a new metre, and his daring in using the Italian vernacular (apparently roughly one-third of the Italian vocabulary can be found in the COmedy), but a little bit arrogant when he uses his terza rima as God's chosen method of speech. But what can you do?
    Oh, Dante the Pilgrim is totally a Mary Sue. Another bit I liked was how Virgil compliments him on his poetry. That said, he WAS a genius.

I've read all of the Inferno and about a quarter of Paradiso. My professor says he doesn't often assign Purgatorio because he finds it boring (though he also says that's part of the genius of it, because that's the whole point of purgatory).

I find it very peculiar though that the Garden of Eden is supposed to be at the top of the Mountain of Purgatory. Buh - buh - whah?

Of course with the discovery of Australia Dante's model must have been blown into a tizzy anyway. If the entrance to hell is in Europe and Mount Purgatory is on the south pole . . . hmm.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Banned

So there's an empty place in you heart, and a longing that you've never known?
    Not as such.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Ogre in the Playground

Also for CVs, you have to make them look neat and professional, the key is the person scanning them has to find them easy to read.

Don't ever use a weird font (use Times New Roman or something that looks like it comes from a broadsheet newspaper), don't use colours or pictures. Put a clear heading in a font a couple of points bigger: just "Curriculum Vitae" will be fine. Divide the rest into sections, and put a heading on each section, these headings could be underlined, but probably should be the same size font. Use a font size between 10 and 14.

Detail your education, your work experience, your volunteer experience, each in their own section, starting with the most recent. You usually don't need to go back more than 5 years (unless you have to!). Leave out stuff that isn't important (where you went to primary school). Have another section for skills, and put in a few relevant, current skills you have, trained ones are better than not (if you've had first aid training, for example). Include the languages here for the job that wants them, but don't bother including them for another job if you've got a good few skills that are more relevant. Keep it short and impressive!

The cover letter should match the formatting, be formal but friendly, and express genuine interest in the job. Or convincing fake interest!

Sorry, this post was a lot longer than I expected it would be!