New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Several Silly Sealions Stuffed Seaweed Southward Swiftly (Or, Random Banter #143)

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    First story: Arthur Conan Doyle.

Second: Dan Brown. Dan Brown.
    You poor soul...

Still Conan Doyle's pretty awesome!

2. - Top - End - #242
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Several Silly Sealions Stuffed Seaweed Southward Swiftly (Or, Random Banter #143)

Quote Originally Posted by KenderWizard View Post
    You poor soul...

Still Conan Doyle's pretty awesome!
    I'm nothing like him, though Completely different style.

Basically, it's as insightful as any internet quiz. Ah well.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

3. - Top - End - #243
    Bugbear in the Playground

I entered an excerpt from my novel. I got Steven King.
    Currently RPG group playing: Endworld (D&D 5e. A Homebrewed post-apocalyptic supplement.)

My campaign settings: Azura; 10,000 CE | The Frozen Seas | Bloodstones (Paleolithic Horror) | AEGIS - The School for Superhero Children | Iaphela (5e, Elder Scrolls)

4. - Top - End - #244
    Bugbear in the Playground

AAAAAAHHHHH! It's official! I'm missing pieces of my puzzle. *sobs*
    (Christmas) Lillith Avatar by Serpetine
    Psylock Lillith Avatar by Bradakhan
    Ceras Lillith Avatar by Araveugnitsuga

5. - Top - End - #245
    Banned

Mr. Rogers, welcome to my list of personal heroes.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Superglucose View Post
    Any particular reason? Or did you just enjoy today's xkcd?
    Want to meet some of the most awesome people on the internet? Come to the Baltimore/DC Area RenFest Meetup 2012!

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

Did you know he was a sniper for the marines? (I think it was the marines...) War tattoos under that sweater...
    Last edited by Thajocoth; 2010-07-16 at 01:58 AM.
    Avatar by me. It's Incendius Darkscale, a Good Dragonborn Dragon Sorcerer, Demonskin Adept, Prince of Hell, worshiper of the Platinum Dragon (Bahamut), specializing in Fire and Lightning, wielding a staff in each hand.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb The Troll View Post
    Any particular reason? Or did you just enjoy today's xkcd?
    Started with today's XKCD and I started looking up more on him. He personifies everything I want to be when I have my own kids some day.

Quote Originally Posted by Thajocoth View Post
    Did you know he was a sniper for the marines? (I think it was the marines...) War tattoos under that sweater...
    No, no he wasn't. Very common myth.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

No, no he wasn't. Very common myth.
    I hope you're right.
    Avatar by me. It's Incendius Darkscale, a Good Dragonborn Dragon Sorcerer, Demonskin Adept, Prince of Hell, worshiper of the Platinum Dragon (Bahamut), specializing in Fire and Lightning, wielding a staff in each hand.

10. - Top - End - #250

Want to meet some of the most awesome people on the internet? Come to the Baltimore/DC Area RenFest Meetup 2012!

11. - Top - End - #251
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb The Troll View Post
    But a badass myth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ettin in the Playground

Mister Rogers was a beautiful man. The world is truly a lesser place, now that he's gone. He sincerely cared about children, and made the show in order to teach and help children.

This one time he stood up to Senate, who were trying to slash his funding. It gives goosebumps.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hmmm, I took that I Write Like thingy three times.
    First time was Vladimir Nabokov.
    Second time was James Joyce.
    Third time was Margaret Atwood.
    So in other words, I write like a man who writes about little girls; a man who became steadily more incomprehensible the longer his writing career became. ANd, finally, a very famous sci-fi writer with more awards than you can shake a stick at.
    I don't know whether to be flattered or confused.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

14. - Top - End - #254
    Banned

But a badass myth.
    Well, no. . .Yes. The myth is. Don't know about you, but I can't face pure goodness and not measure myself against it and. . . .It's easier to mislabel it as badassery and pretend to understand it better.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Phase View Post
    This one time he stood up to Senate, who were trying to slash his funding. It gives goosebumps.
    I watched that link and thought it was very good. having never grown up with Mr. Rogers, I'd never heard of him before today. He seems to have had the same kind of impact on kids in the US as stuff like "Fem Myror är mer än Fyra Elefanter" ('Five ants is more than four elephants') in Sweden, although I suppose 'Fem Myror' was a bit more silly and childish.
    Still, they did teach me how to read at about 3 years of age, so I like them.

I also saw another link from the Mr Rogers congress video, though, where some news show tried to tell everyone that Mr Rogers had destroyed generations of kids because he tried to tell them that they're just fine the way they are and that it would mean that they'd not have to work for things.
    I have to say that their discussion befuddled me because it just didn't make any sense to me at all.
    Why would telling someone that just because you're not the best at sports, or best at spelling, or best at maths it doesn't make you less worth than anyone else be a bad thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy
    Thanks KuReshtin, Chief Nerd-Hurder of the UKitP Clan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    KuReshtin too, because he's awesome and a Swede, and therefore double awesome.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Troll in the Playground

Supposedly, it discourages them from trying to achieve beyond their means by giving them an early sense of self-worth, instead of encouraging them to try to live beyond their own limitations.

I don't buy that though. One can be confident in who they are AND strive to achieve at the same time.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    ...How does one cuddle mercilessly?
    Curse your Introbulosity!

17. - Top - End - #257
    Banned

The link you followed would have been to a Fox News special. Fox News is defined not so much as being for conservative U.S. ideals as by being against any other ideals. The idea that self-worth just exists, and isn't always the result of effort, is in the U.S. a liberal ideal and thus a legitimate target for the scorn of Fox News.

("Fair and balanced" is their tagline, and fair and balanced it is not, but as a TV-based news source its strength is that is distributes news fast. I would watch a Fox affiliate for breaking news and then get an in-depth analysis, with cross-checked facts, from a secondary source. For pieces which need to be researched beforehand, I'd go somewhere else first.)

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ettin in the Playground

Are you saying that Glenn Beck isn't the ideal source for my view on the weeks news? Whatchu talkin' bout, Quin?

19. - Top - End - #259
    Firbolg in the Playground

That was... amazing. I... uh... I cried a little.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

20. - Top - End - #260
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post
    That was... amazing. I... uh... I cried a little.
    I think the last part is what nearly made me cry. ;~;
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    ...How does one cuddle mercilessly?
    Curse your Introbulosity!

21. - Top - End - #261

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderMew View Post
    I used that site and got Douglas Adams
    I get mostly David Foster Wallace, but for one of my diary posts I got William Shakespeare.

*goes and wikis Mr Wallace*
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

"I blame Castaras. You know... In general."
    ~ KuReshtin

"Castaras - An absolutely adorable facade that hides a truly ruthless streak."
    ~ The Succubus

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ettin in the Playground

I remember when he died. We were on an airplane. I was like nine or ten years old (just looked it up - I was 12) and I told my mother and she didn't believe me, she'd grown up with him too.

Pure human goodness indeed. According to Wikipedia he was a minister, "swam every morning, was a vegetarian, and neither smoked nor drank."

I feel myself getting super sappy but, seriously. He was amazing.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ettin in the Playground

Remembering Mister Rogers is one of those things everyone can cry at. He was truly the best of us.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Are you saying that Glenn Beck isn't the ideal source for my view on the weeks news? Whatchu talkin' bout, Quin?
    I'm pretty sure just by existing he violates the forum rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

25. - Top - End - #265
    Troll in the Playground

Not entirely true: The only time I've caught his radio show (I don't really try, they changed time slots), he was discussing movies. Made mention that he can't be friends with anyone who doesn't like The Princess Bride. I can get behind that.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Banned

{scrubbed}

(might as well get it over with since that's what will happen if I comment on the "Mr. Rogers is Evil" tape)

27. - Top - End - #267
    Barbarian in the Playground

I like Fox News and Glenn Beck. And Mr. Rogers. I remember watching that show every day when I was growing up, and now I'm feeling all nostalgic for my childhood when I didn't have to do anything. Is is a bad thing if I'm only 22 and I already don't want to be a grown up anymore?

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    I get mostly David Foster Wallace, but for one of my diary posts I got William Shakespeare.

*goes and wikis Mr Wallace*
    I got the same, save instead of Shakespeare, I got Lovecraft. What'd you find out about the other dude? Or does anyone else happen to know of Wallace?
    Amazing Mountain King avatar courtesy of the remarkable Starwoof!

29. - Top - End - #269
    Troll in the Playground

So. That analysis site? I gave it a Shakespeare excerpt. Othello, to be precise. It proceeded to hurt my brain. Why?

Shakespeare writes like Charles Dickens. As opposed to, you know, Shakespeare. I think I'm done taunting this thing, fun as it was for a while
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

30. - Top - End - #270

I submitted a "story" I wrote in 2 pieces each piece gets the David Foster Wallace badge. But If I paste them together it says Chuck Palahniuk

I'm not convinced of the accuracy of that site.