New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Relationship Woes and Advice: A Sleepless Fortnight

Quote Originally Posted by Maeglin_Dubh View Post
    I think my message is being confused.

My point is that in the context of this situation, it's better to move along and only periodically wonder "Hmm, what if...?" as you move on with your life, instead of going for it, getting attached, moving away, and having -no real certainty- of any sort of commitment. To have that sort of constant doubt is a horrible threat to your sanity, your emotional well-being, and your levity, never mind your relationship.
    Here's your box of salt shakers, by the way. In the interest of gently pointing it out, I think maybe you're a little gun shy about love and relationship. I'm going to stop myself right now and double check on that, because I might be confusing you with somebody else.

*time passes*

Okay, yes, you are who I thought you were. So, first off, *hugs*. Second off, *moar hugs*. Now, I'd just like to say that I completely agree and disagree with you for two reasons:

1.) Personally, I'm the same way; I wouldn't want to deal with getting attached to someone and then moving off to two separate colleges forever apart. That would suck. However, that's why people aren't saying "Get attached! Whoo! Fall in love with her right nao dude!" they're saying "Date her for a while, and see how you two feel by the time you have to leave." With that said...

2.) This is the one I disagree with you on. It's just like the song; love hurts, love scars, love wounds, and marrs. It does. It really, really does. ...but that adversity is what makes all the positive elements of love so damned worth it every stinkin' time. I don't regret having loved ANY of my past girlfriends, no matter how badly any of them hurt me.

Love might not make the world go round, but I think if more people could get into it, the world would be a better place.
    Last edited by MountainKing; 2010-07-26 at 08:45 AM.
    Amazing Mountain King avatar courtesy of the remarkable Starwoof!

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

My advice is changing given the clarification.

As others have said, that is essentially casual dating (not just the lack of sex, but open relationship also has the connotation of some from of serious commitment between the two primaries even if they sleep/see others). I did that when I had to move 3 hours to college but still wanted to see the guy I was dating at home. It wasn't committed or serious or anything. We were both on the same page (well...same chapter at least, lol). It worked out for 9 months. The problem only really came when I realized I didn't want to do the casual dating thing any more, and he didn't want something serious. So we parted ways. There was a bit more drama than that, but it was mostly miscommunication and some weird thing he had going on.

Casual dating isn't bad. But once again, you MUST be on the same page. Communication is important. At my core, I'm not a casual dater. That's the first and only time I've done it, and I don't think I'd do it again. So if you find you do not like the atmosphere of casual dating, then talk to her.

That said...you won't know until you try.
    Show me how pretty the world is
    'Cause I envy the way that you move
    'Cause I want something a little bit louder
    'Cause you're brilliant when you try
    Show me how pretty the whole world is tonight
    -Matt Nathanson "Pretty the World"

Various Syka-Foxes done by the wonderful Ceika

3. - Top - End - #213
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Odentin View Post
    That's not an open relationship. That's dating...

What you're being offered is the chance to date someone. Take it. If it doesn't become a committed relationship before you head off to college, then so be it. If it does, then you can have a long-distance relationship.

I guess I should ask, how far away are your respective colleges? How hard would it be to travel to see her on the weekends or such?
    Things are called different stuff around here. From what I can tell, people take dating alot more... serious here. Hardly any one ever just goes on a "date" just them and someone else without being exclusive, and if you kiss someone without being exclusive, your opening yourself up to be called a whore. Usually, you get to know someone in a group, go places with them (again, in groups) and ask them out and decide to be exclusive and all before you ever have a solo date.

If you don't do the exclusive thing, and instead are essentially "friends with benefits" and such, its called an open (or non-exclusive by some ppl) relationship, because your letting the person do what they're doing with you, with anyone. Honestly, if I wanted to, I COULD have sex while we have this arrangement. It's just that I don't want to. Granted, if I did, she'd be angry, but not because there was anything between us, but because she thinks it's wrong period.

To put it simply, around here, it is odd to not be REALLY dating someone when your going out with them/kissing them. That is not what this girl wants. She wants what apparently the rest of the world thinks of when they think dating. Meanwhile, I want some sort of relationship with her, but I'm not that keen on the one she has in mind. I think I could do it if it only happened with people at her college, as I'm fine without knowing it definitely (honestly, I'm paranoid enough that I would probably wonder about that even if we were exclusive, but I've learned to block that out. It's KNOWING that bothers me.)

Our colleges are ~1 hour apart, down the Interstate. (For those of you familiar with Upstate SC, I'll be in Clemson, and she'll be in Greenwood)

TL:DR - My area is old fashioned. We're 1 hour apart roughly.

Go Tigers!

4. - Top - End - #214
    Banned

Your area isn't truly old-fashioned. Old-fashioned dating from before the sexual revolution is "open relationship" dating. Exclusivity is courting, the prelude to marriage. In those days, boys wore pink and they liked it.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ForzaFiori View Post
    TL:DR - My area is old fashioned. We're 1 hour apart roughly.
    One, suck it up; being progressive isn't the easy way. As has been said, you won't know unless you try. Two, only an hour? Dang, nevermind. That isn't even remotely long distance. Sounds to me like you'd be fine, should you two decide to move the relationship onward post-college movery.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
    Your area isn't truly old-fashioned. Old-fashioned dating from before the sexual revolution is "open relationship" dating. Exclusivity is courting, the prelude to marriage. In those days, boys wore pink and they liked it.
    .... ... ... *twitch*... must...resist.... bait....X.X

More seriously.

Any advice on what to do when you find out a friend just backed up into a pole and blurbed up the car and is feeling pretty down and looking for a good bit to look up their day with?

Only my attempts at thinking levity to bring a smile to her face is just devolving into inane flirtation. Lousy brain.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2010-07-26 at 05:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, for the rest of the world, that's just dating, pure and simple.

Lemme tell you a story, and I'll spoiler it for everyone else's sake.

Spoiler
    Show
    When my wife and I first got engaged, we were living separately, on opposite sides of the city. Between our work and school schedules, we were only able to see each other on the weekends. So, while we kept in contact via various chat programs and the like, every weekend one of us would drive to the other's place of residence and spend the weekend there, switching off every other week.

So, my advice to you becomes: Date her, don't get into a committed relationship until both of you are ready. The distance between your colleges is NOTHING. At the moment I'm living half an ocean away from my wife. Hang out on the weekends and keep in contact through the week.

If it blossoms into anything more serious, then good for you guys. If not, then you gave it a try. :)
    Last edited by Odentin; 2010-07-26 at 05:50 PM.
    -Odentin

Quote Originally Posted by Skype
    Odentin: Wait. Weren't we going to stop off in the capital and murder the emperor?
    Bladecutter: We might as well, it's on the way.
    GM: "We might was well" has never been used in that way!
    Bladecutter: Well, we really don't like him...

8. - Top - End - #218
    Troll in the Playground

I'd like to point out, just for the record: I have no problem with the distance, except that due to us being both being poor, we wont see each other much (every weekend IF we're lucky). The only thing I'm caught up on is the idea that she could be going out with other dudes too. I have jealousy and paranoia issues. The good news is that the distance will probably help. She's not gonna bring it up or anything if she is, so I probably won't find out, and since I ALWAYS worry that a girl is doing that when I'm not around, it won't be any different than normal. The only bad part is if I KNOW it is happening. But I'm gonna give it a try and see what happens.

Go Tigers!

9. - Top - End - #219
    Barbarian in the Playground

uhm
    Okay
    I need some advice...
    But I can't post it on the board...
    Anyone who's willling to listen: PM me?
    Thanks ...
    Edit: Thanks to the people who Pm-ed
    Last edited by Eadin; 2010-07-26 at 06:21 PM.
    Peter by Derjuin
    NEXUS characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eadin by Akrim.elf

Catherine by Gulaghar:

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, if you go into this, you have to go into it with the understanding that you are NOT in a committed relationship yet. If she finds someone else, you can't get upset, because there was no commitment. If you guys decide to make it committed, that's another story. But you can't start dating someone assuming it's exclusive until you know for sure that it is.

Eadin: Go ahead and PM me.
    -Odentin

Odentin: Wait. Weren't we going to stop off in the capital and murder the emperor?

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ForzaFiori View Post
    I'd like to point out, just for the record: I have no problem with the distance, except that due to us being both being poor, we wont see each other much (every weekend IF we're lucky). The only thing I'm caught up on is the idea that she could be going out with other dudes too. I have jealousy and paranoia issues. The good news is that the distance will probably help. She's not gonna bring it up or anything if she is, so I probably won't find out, and since I ALWAYS worry that a girl is doing that when I'm not around, it won't be any different than normal. The only bad part is if I KNOW it is happening. But I'm gonna give it a try and see what happens.
    That's fine. Date her casually. If it turns out she matters that much, you'll make the effort to FIND the money to go see her.

IRT Coidpants - Sounds like somebody had a... *dons sunglasses* ...smashing good time.

Seriously though, that really sucks. The best you can really do is be there for them, unless you're secretly a master mechanic.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Firbolg in the Playground

Are funny relationship stories acceptable for this thread? If so I have a highly amusing tale. It's about my ex-fiance and her new love, and what happened after I discovered the two together. I promise you, I had absolutely nothing to do with what took place after the breakup, I have an alibi and witnesses to prove it. I also use this tale as my proof that fate exists, or karma, or both.

Acceptable for this thread? Or no? I mean, if you have relationship woes, everyone needs a laugh right?
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd like to hear it. If the ones who started the thread think it's inappropriate, then you can PM it to me, if you'd like.
    -Odentin

14. - Top - End - #224

I'd like to hear a funny story too.

I'd also like to rant a bit: Okay, here's the thing. How the frak does anyone meet potential SOs outside of school? Seriously! I'm working a new job this summer; actually it's an old job with new people. I see literally hundreds of people every day, but all of them are either too old for me, too...*shudder*...or talk to me for all of twelve seconds before going back to their campers. (I serve food at a summer camp.) And this has been my experience with pretty much every situation I've been in, other than schools.

There is a silver lining though: I got so desperate a couple weeks ago that, despite the horror stories I've heard, I put a personal ad on craigslist. Sure enough, I got a half dozen scam replies, but I also got a reply from a very cute girl I very much want to meet. I keep reminding myself that it could be a hoax so that I don't get my hopes up, but it's getting harder the more emails I get from her. Now if I can get a weekday off next week, I might be able to actually meet her...

15. - Top - End - #225
    Barbarian in the Playground

How the frak does anyone meet potential SOs outside of school?
    Find group activities that interest you. Activity clubs, dance classes, whatever.

I hear good things about OKCupid too. Could try that.
    A potent relic of the past. 'Tis said the wearer commands the wisdom of kings, and can see the unseeable.
    Like the grue lurking in your bedroom waiting for you to fall asleep.
    But perhaps some things are better left unseen...
    Dazzling avatar by Ceika

16. - Top - End - #226

A friend of mine's living with a girl he met on OKCupid.

I would also like to hear this amusing anecdote.

17. - Top - End - #227

NecromancerGuy

Deathslayer7: It sounds like either they're messing around with one another again, or they're trying to patch things up. Leave well enough alone and let 'em work it out between themselves. She is his ex and current person that he's circling and vice versa, after all, so the fact that they're your friends sorta takes a back burner to waiting and seeing what happens..

Also, I'm not really seeing how it was a contest to choose between your girlfriend and this girl, what with the breakup with your best friend and the corresponding cheating of the both of them on each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, this is an MYOB situation, deathslayer. Girl B and your friend (and whomever else is involved, lol) will have to sort this out with each other, and you're probably best off not directly involved.
    "'Intelligence' is really prolific in the world. So is stupidity. So often they occur in the same people." - Phaedra
    Pyrian's LiveJournal

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

Holy Hell. I don't even know where to begin on that one...

I think it's best to do like the others have said and leave well enough alone. Let them work their own problems out...
    -Odentin

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

okay. that's what i have been doin for a while now and that's what ill continue to do then. thanks.
    Not wearing your seat belt? See you soon!
    Thanks to Kwarkpudding for this excellent avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Tialait View Post
    This is perhaps the most amazing idea I have heard in eons. Thank you kind slayer of Death.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Bugbear in the Playground

Don't need advice now since it's already too late, but I thought I'd share the story anyway. After all, reading the RWA-Thread played a considerable role in finally getting a grip on myself and asking my big university crush if she wanted to go on a date with me.
    She politely declined. =P
    She said she never goes on dates, because she does not want a relationship with a guy who is not a Christian. Which kinda relieved me, since that means I was out of the race from the start and there's nothing I could have done about it.

positive results:
    - I finally asked a girl for a date (Yay! )
    - I don't have to drag this around with me anymore and go "what if" all the time
    - not a direct result, but she is the one who got me into donating blood and I sure won't stop now.

I only wish I had done this earlier and saved myself from all that heart ache ... (which is exactly what you people here recommend over and over again )
    Last edited by Iruka; 2010-07-27 at 10:24 AM.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

22. - Top - End - #232

Iruka, you seem to take the no very very well. As you should of course, but still I have to admire the positive attitude you apply to it.
    Your Personal Undead

Other Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

by dr. bathand, Kpenguin and Fay Graydon

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    -C. S. Lewis

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ettin in the Playground

So I've decided to start looking online for someone. I had tried it years ago without much success, but I figured I would give it a try again soon.

I'm really not any good at writing about my self, well writing has never been a strong point for me in any case.

I'm wondering if I could/should post a link to my profile here (or maybe just PM it to a few people) and let the people here review it for me. See if anything comes across weird or if there is any sort of area I should expand on.

Of course its not like anyone here knows me that well to know if what I'm saying is true or if there is something about me that should be added, but I guess it should come across to you guys much how it would to anyone else looking at it.
    edit: and by true, I mean true to how I actually am, as opposed to how I think I am, which might not be the same.
    Last edited by Erloas; 2010-07-27 at 09:26 AM.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Banned

Go right ahead! We looked at and constructively critiqued a profile last thread. (Receiving constructive critique is another skill altogether. Can you handle that?)

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ettin in the Playground

I sure hope I can take criticism...

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/lb-gb

edit: to start, one thing I'm not sure of is listing my income range. Its pretty good (in the 60-70 range), but I don't really think that should be an important factor. Though I don't know if not having anything would come across as good or bad.
    Last edited by Erloas; 2010-07-27 at 09:46 AM.

26. - Top - End - #236

Quick first impressions:
    - Get more photos without sunglasses on.
    - Condense your Self-Summary a bit.
    - Trim the Favourite Books etc. section a little, maybe make it a bit easier to read.
    - Think a bit harder about the Really Good At and Things I Can't Do Without bits.

'sabout all I've got, methinks.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll see about the pictures, that was pretty much every reasonable picture I had of me. I didn't in fact realize they all had sunglasses on until I posted the one without. I'll see what I can find.

Any idea *how* I should trim down the self summary and books/movies parts?

28. - Top - End - #238

Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Iruka, you seem to take the no very very well. As you should of course, but still I have to admire the positive attitude you apply to it.
    Considering her behaviour in the last months I already expected the no, so I was kinda prepared. I just wanted confirmation.
    I'm also feeling all grown up now, because I finally asked.
    It still hurts a lot, but running for two hours until the rest of my body hurt more helped a bit. I don't know how I'll feel in the next days, I guess there will be some crying.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

Iruka

theres nothing to cry about - yes its a bit of a downer, but just keep yourself busy and you'll realise life is on the up, so enjoy it

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    Any idea *how* I should trim down the self summary and books/movies parts?
    list genres rather than particular movies - then list a few favourites as examples
    Last edited by xPANCAKEx; 2010-07-27 at 10:38 AM.
    pancake-atar created by RTG0922

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post
    xPANCAKEx - He's a scumbag, but he's a wise scumbag.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    edit: to start, one thing I'm not sure of is listing my income range. Its pretty good (in the 60-70 range), but I don't really think that should be an important factor. Though I don't know if not having anything would come across as good or bad.
    Allow me to quote from OkTrends, OkCupid's analysis blog of it's own data:
    We did a little investigating as to whether a person's stated income had any real effect on his or her online dating experience. Unsurprisingly, we found that it matters a lot, particularly for men. ...if you're a young guy and don't make much money, cool. If you're 23 or older and don't make much money, go die in a fire.
    The little chart is interesting, too.
    "'Intelligence' is really prolific in the world. So is stupidity. So often they occur in the same people." - Phaedra
    Pyrian's LiveJournal