New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Sea of Starry Night II [IC]

Achkby

Gulp. "No... unless... I don't think so.

"But wither way I do not like the way it is not looking at us. I'll follow you, Lumpy."

'Come on, Lissa," he says, moving to lead her after the others.

[OOC]Knowledge (Arcana) +9. If I roll, 14+9=23.[/OOC]
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

2. - Top - End - #272

At first, Achkby assumes that the sentinels must be stone golems. He knows that golems of all types are created by magically binding a spirit from the earth plane into a physical construct. Stone golems are extremely powerful, difficult to create and to defeat.

On further reflection, however, Achkby notes that the four stone creatures that seem to be guarding Sphur Pentak appear to have been carved to resemble trolls or perhaps large wingless gargoyles - an atypical form for a stone golem. Also, they lack the runes or inscribed symbols typically present on a typical stone golem, that give them their immunity to magical spells and near invulnerability.

[hr]
    The stone creatures close in from all four directions. Following Lumpy's lead, your party scoots toward one of the sentinels, then quickly ducks down a side alley, hoping to escape from their ambush.

The alley is narrow, only 10 ft wide or so, with artfully carved stone "trash" strewn about. A few stone barrels and crates lie against the walls. The alley takes sharp turn to the right, then a sharp turn to the left, then abruptly dead ends after about 100 feet.

The surrounding walls are only about 10 feet high and can probably be climbed by at least some of you, but those of you in armor might have some trouble escaping to the rooftops ...

The ground trembles as the stone sentinels enter the alley. They will likely turn the last corner in only a few moments.

3. - Top - End - #273

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

Panting hard as they party flees through the alleyways, Achkby gasps out, "I thought... that they.. were prob... ably... golems... of stone..., but I don't... see any... runes. ... And it's the magic... in the runes... that make... golems... so... hard... to hurt... with magic... and... harden... the stone. ... So at least... if we have... to fight... they won't... be quite... as tough... to fell... as they might... be. ... For what... it's worth."

As they run into the dead end, Achkby skids to a stop. He glances around wildly, and then leans down, panting, with his hands on his knees. "Oh... Gods. ... Hlal, help me!
    What do we do... now?
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

4. - Top - End - #274
    Barbarian in the Playground

Darius

"Well, thank Tyr for chain shirts..." Darius says, gritting his teeth. He then leans over with a grin and whispers something in Achkby's ear "You should be the one doin' this, buddy."

He winks, picks up Lissa with a "Hold on." and starts climbing.

((EDIT: Me no spell good))
    Currently Playing:
    Lotho Vendara, Halfling Rogue, in End of Ages IC/
    OOC

5. - Top - End - #275
    Halfling in the Playground

Djital

"...Balls. Climb you thakkers, climb!"

Djital sets down the mug and sword, charges at the wall, and pulls his way up just enough to peer over the edge. After checking the coast, he drops back down to his knees to give boosts to the 'shorter' members of the party and those with armor, stuffing the mug into whatever pack is handy.

"You shortfolk that don't want to be tossed over, better get a leg up now."

[ooc: assist another on climb checks, me no good at closing quotes]

6. - Top - End - #276

OOC: Those of you who intend to climb to the roof, please make a Climb check (DC 20). Don't forget to add armor check penalties and penalties for encumbrance (including any gnomes you might happen to be carrying).

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Sea of Starry Night II [IC]

Callos, the Unphysically Fit

" Stupid stone creatures...stupid blue creature...stupid stone city...stupid Underdark....and stupid running and climbing!"

Clearly physical activity was not Callos's strong suit and at the suggestion of climbing up one of the walls he openly groaned.

"Thrice damnit! Why does Mystra spit me with climbing?!"

Even with his complainging the lany man wasted no time in beginning to try and climb up the wall as quickly as he could, even though he struggled at it, barely even to keep his hand holds.

((Climb check: 3-1=2 Edit: I don't think I've ever been used as a stool efore.))
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

8. - Top - End - #278

"Thanks," says Achkby. He back up a few paces, and mutters, "Hlal, grant me your Strength. Brandobaris, grant me your Agility and Acrobaticness."

And, with a running jump and a boost from Callos, tries to scale the wall.

[OOC]If I can somehow make it apply, 16+1=17 for a jump. And for a climb... holy ****! There is no effing way, but I kid you not... 19+1=20.
    You know what, I don't deserve that. Is there a dice roller you'd rather have me do it on?
    I'm totally serious. I should reroll that somewhere. In all fairness.[/OOC]

EDIT: [OOC]You know... I may have found religion. Can you be a Cleric of two dieties at once?[/OOC]
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

9. - Top - End - #279

Fizahn:

Fizahn quickly follows all the other party members as they flee. He skids to a halt near the wall, sweating heavily. He looks at the wall hopelessly. "I never was a particularly good climber. Couldn't hang on long enough to find the hand holds." He begins climbing the wall as fast as he can. Almost immediately, his hand slips and he falls back down. A string of gnomish curses emerge from the little man.

OOC: Well, Achkby's just feeding off the rotten luck of Fizahn and Callos... Natural one by the way...
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-27 at 08:52 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

After seeing Fizahn try and scale the wall and messing it up even more then he did the mage couldn't help but laugh long and hard. Even after Ackby had spring boarded off of him to make it up the wall. Soon though he turned to Fizahn and smirked grimly

"Help each other then? When your ready to try again just use me as a boost like someone else did."

((I'm used to people feeding off my luck.))
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa, climbing blind

Aided by Djital's boost, Lissa manages to nimbly scramble up the wall, albeit at half her normal speed since she's feeling for hand- and footholds all the way. One can only imagine how she must climb when she can see. "Thanks, Djital! Great job, Achkby!" She pulls her trusty coil of rope out of her haversack, then a grappling hook. It takes some fumbling, but she manages to fasten the rope to the hook. Lissa holds it out in the direction she last heard climbing. "Would somebody set the hook and toss the rope over for anyone who needs it? It'll take me a lot longer to find a secure spot than anyone else."

(OOC: Can I keep the Climb check I rolled last post? Pretty please?)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

12. - Top - End - #282

Djital, frantic fighter

"Go, go, go!"

After Fizahn fumbles and hits the ground, he nods to Callos and grabs the gnome, preparing to heave him up to the roof and then climb up himself.

[ooc]If Callos helps, we'll toss Fizahn up onto the roof, and then help each other up. Callos is lighter I think, so he goes up and then hangs onto the rope while I scale it, then I help hold it too and draw everyone up ASAP. I don't know how we roll tossing a gnome, though.[/ooc]

13. - Top - End - #283
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Lumpy throws one last glance down the alley way, then turns, feral growl bubbling up in his throat. Hooking the handle of his umbrella through his belt, Lumpy grabs for Fizahn, one hand going for the scruff of the gnome's neck, the other for a leg,

"Just get up there!"

Presuming Fizahn doesn't fight his way free, Lumpy will lift him over his head (he can lift another 200 easily) and heave him upwards, throwing him roofward. ((OOC str check, if needed, 17 + 4 = 21))

If he succeeds with Fizahn, Lumpy will next grab Callos. With the taller man, Lumpy will go for the ankles and try and lift him high enough to grab the rooftop. After that, he'll brace himself against the wall next to Djital, his back and shoulders serving as a five foot high stepping stone. he waves at Djital,

"Him, then me. Like wlkling up stairs. I can't possibly make this any easier. Get to it!"

14. - Top - End - #284

Oops. I meant to jump off Djital. I can't tell the two of you apart. :P

"Here!" says Achkby to Lissa (assuming no one minds that roll), grabbing the grappling hook from her and trying to jam it somewhere secure.
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

15. - Top - End - #285

Djital

"Dammit, this isn't working!"

He scrabbles for a hold on the wall, trying to push Callos up further but failing to muster the strength to give him any boost. Changing his strategy, he tries to grab and haul himself up, but can't quite get up.

"Someone seat that grapple and toss the rope down! Lumpy, help me shove Callos up, we're gonna need some extra weight at the end of that line to get us up."

[ooc: str check = 2 (natural 1), climb check = 8 (+2)]

16. - Top - End - #286

Elthan II

When Elthan reaches the wall, he quickly tosses down his backpack and rumages through. He doesn't say anything until he triumphantly comes up for air with a silk rope.

"Ok, I'll toss this up to whoever gets up their first. The rest of us can climb up with it with the first up keeping it steady."

(OOC: A rope + a wall to brace against = Climb a caster can make(DC 5) by the book. We should be safe climbing up that.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

17. - Top - End - #287
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hajih, Human Ranger

After Elthan throws up the rope Hajih will stand at the bottom of the rope, helping everyone up. Once everyone is up, Hajih will quickly scale the rope.

(Climb: 15)

"Trice damned underdark! Isn’t anything down here trying to kill us or eat our brains?" Looking slightly distracted he adds "I suppose having our brains eaten would kill us, however..."
    Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

"Oh come on! Up you go friend! Everyone up!"

After Djital tried to lift him up he grabbed his heavier friend and tried the same.

(( Strength Check: 11-1=10))

19. - Top - End - #289

Aeroz

"Hajh, shut up and climb"

Aeroz begins his ascent.

[OOC: Climb result: 7+1+2=10]
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

20. - Top - End - #290

Chimera

Sheyra

"Damned mind flayer," Sheyra groans as she stands near the entrance to the alley, covering the party's escape. "If it weren't for the fact that many of us are weaponless, we could probably take these things." Once everyone else is on the roof, she runs back to the rope and climbs up it.

Climb: 13
    And then they made me their cheif.

21. - Top - End - #291

Darius

Darius sees that Lissa is being boosted up, and begins climbing on his own.

((+7 to Climb. -1 Check Penalty. 12+7-1=18))
    Currently Playing:
    OOC

22. - Top - End - #292

Achkby springs off of Callos' shoulders onto a "thatched" stone roof. Though blind, Lissa is able to clamber onto the roof as well, with some assistance from Djital.

Fizahn ends up falling onto his small ass when he fails to find a good handhold. His cheeks redden when Callos can't help bursting out laughing.

Lumpy isn't laughing as his grabs Fizahn and literally throws the gnome up onto the roof.

One of the Elthans manages to dig a rope out of his backpack. The two Elthans and Hajih toss the rope up to Achkby who attempts to tie the rope to Lissa's grappling hook.

Aeroz, Callos, Djital, and Darius gather by the rope awaiting their turn to climb up. The Elthans climb up first, but before the rest of you can climb the rope, Linda calls out, "Too late! They're here!"

[hr]
    Sheyra stands alone, blocking the alleyway with her small frame. The first stone sentinel turns the corner, still chanting in Undercommon. Without hesitating, Sheyra slams her bare fist into the creature's groin. Linda stands about 30 feet behind Sheyra and does her best to help out with a set of magic missiles. Their combined attacks rock the large stone "troll", raising a cloud of dust and fragments of shattered stone.

Without emotion, the stone sentinel raises a massive clawed hand ...

OOC: Sheyra and Linda attempt to hold off the four stone creatures. The "little people" and the two Elthans have climbed to relative safety. The rest of you are left waiting by the rope. One character can climb to safety per round (you will have to work out the order amongst yourselves).

23. - Top - End - #293
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy, Half-Orc Warrior

The burly orc growls a soft sigh, turning to face the sentinels. He glances down at the stone umbrella hooked at his belt, then at the stone troll. With a resigned but dterrmined scowl, he unhooks the improved weapon from his belt,

"Hurry up and get up there, will ya? Ain't gonna have all day."

Without another word, he raises the umbrella, gripping it firmly, two-handed. With a feral cry befitting of he ancestry, he charges.

Here's to a good shot before it breaks

((OOC: Lumpy charges the sentinal at the entrance, provided there's a path. Otherwise, move and attack

Attack: 9 + 9 - 4(improvised weapon) + (2 if charging) = 14(16)

Damage: 5 + 6 = 11
    ))

24. - Top - End - #294

Lumpy charges, ducking under the sentinel's claws, and slamming his umbrella into the creature's knee. The half-orc's hands sting as stone rebounds off of stone.

The sentinel ignores the half-orc and instead slashes downward at Sheyra. Its claws are as sharp as polished obsidian as it opens up three parallel lacerations across her back.

25. - Top - End - #295

Djital

"Climb well."

As he scoops up the beautifully crafted short sword from the ground, his eyes harden and seem to focus on a point far beyond anything in the alleyway. Spitting out a curse, and then screaming in undercommon, Djital charges the stone sentinel.

"Hey, oversized walking toy! DANGER THIS!"

Positioning himself between Lumpy and Sheyra if possible, Djital thrusts his sword into the creature, tensing his legs as he prepares to dodge from the imminent retaliation.

Just got to hold it long enough. Just long enough. Just enough. Just..

After the attack, at the first available opportunity he will pull/shove Sheyra behind him and urge her to the rope.

[ooc: attack: 7 + 5bab + 2charge +5 sword = 19,
    damage: 1d6+1 plus the +5 bonus? = 7, or 2 if I'm wrong, hopefully this didn't get bungled up with the math, and I can use dodge against a charged opponent?]

[edited for style and then for an obvious thinko]

26. - Top - End - #296
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy is actually fighting with an umbrella.. sheesh

The sting in his palms was a familiar feeling, no doubt, but it served as a harsh reminder of the inadequacy of his erstwhile weapon. With no cushioning, one blow felt like a days worth of fighting against his hands. And it didn't even look like he'd hurt it, which bothered him even more. But there was nothing else to it but to swallow the unease and discomfort and stick with it. The stout orc gritted his fangs as he shifted stances, drawing up a tighter defence. the growl emerging from his throat was constant now, an absolute in counterpoint with the sentinel's alarming commands. He shifts forward, trying to edge the others away from the creature's claws,

"Here, blockhead!"

Waiting for the most opportune moment, he spares the sentinel a passing swipe from the umbrella, though it's clear he's unwiling to comprimise his defense to do so.

((OOC
    Fighting with Expertise -5/+5
    +0 AB, AC 23

12 + 0 = 12
    ))

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

"Of all the horrible things...Djital! You stubborn fool!"

When Callos turned to see his friend making a charge towards a stone sentinal.Abandoning the rope for the moment the necromancer turned back and began to weave his hands in an arcane pattern before poitning towards the creature's head with a single finger to release the spell towards it.

((Why not? I'll go for a Blindness spell at the stone "troll"))

28. - Top - End - #298

Darius

Darius takes a good long look at the stone monster. His eyes shift from the rope, to the monster, to the flimsy sword at his side, and then back to the rope.

"Pssh, yeah right." he says as he climbs.
    Currently Playing:
    OOC

29. - Top - End - #299

Acid. Now.

Achkby, kneeling at the top of the wall, edges a bit to the side ot get out of Darius's way, and begins a quick chant. A few hissing words and sharp hand gestures conjure another bolt of of acid, which he lets loose at the stone creature.

[OOC]Melf's Acid Arrow. 2+5=7 to hit. If I hit someone else, 6 damage this round and 5 the next.[/OOC]
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

Lissa is poised near the rope, listening tensely. "If somebody gets seriously wounded, one of you big folk toss me down there. I've only got two cure light wounds, so think before you throw."
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already