New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: The Sea of Starry Night II [IC]

Hajih, Human Ranger

Working his way into the combat Hajih thrusts Thokk's Bastard sword towards the gut of the stone 'troll'.

(Attack: 13 + 8= 21)
    (Damage: 4 + 5 = 9)
    Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'

2. - Top - End - #302
    Bugbear in the Playground

Though badly injured, Sheyra continues to press the attack, kicking the sentinel in the legs while dodging its claws.

Lumpy remains at her side, doing his best to batter the stone construct into submission with his umbrella, while at the same time defending himself as best he can.

Hajih and Djital rush to their aid. Djital is knocked aside by one of the creature's claws, but Thokk's bastard sword (wielded by Hajih) sword bites deeply into the creature's thigh.

Achkby tries to burn the creature with acid, but it is hard to get stable footing up on the roof, and his aim is slightly off. Meanwhile, Callos attempts to blind it, but his spell seems to have no significant effect.

The two Elthans and Linda coordinate their attacks, sending a swarm of magic missiles into the sentinel's chest. A spider web of cracks appears across the construct's body ...

[hr]
    Darius rushes up the rope to relative safety.

OOC: Sheyra hits. Lumpy misses. Djital is hit by an AoO as he charges and misses. Hajih hits. Achkby misses. Callos spell has no effect. The Elthans and Linda use a coordinated set of magic missiles.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

The mage swore vehmently when he discovered what he had thought in the first place. The blindness spell would not work on these stone creatures. Turning back to the rope he spat in his hands and rubbed them together as he prepared to start again. Gripping the rope he struggled to pull himself up it.

((Can't get on a dice roller right now, think you can roll this Strength check DR? It has a -1 on it.))
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

4. - Top - End - #304

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

Achkby curses a bit in his native tongue, and thinks feverishly of what he can possibly do now.

How much power can I pour out at it?

He takes a deep breath, and mutters two quick prayers
    ''Brandobaris, give me your aim. Hlal, your might"

Then he begins casting a spell, drawing down into his reserves of magical power to cast a spell built from whatever medium he can muster. He casts slowly, deliberately, and it manifests as fire. He holds the feeling for a moment, and a few more syllebles transform the power to a force he is more familiar with.
    Achkby suddenly flings out an arm, and a thin line of crackling electricity shoots towards the 'troll.'

[OOC]Scorching Ray, electrified. To hit... 8+5=13, unfortunately. And I'm probably shooting into combat. If I get someone else, 17 damage. :-/[/OOC]
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

5. - Top - End - #305
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Something about being ignored really bothered Lumpy. Sure, he hated getting beat up as much as everyone else, but it was fairly embarassing to be passed up in favor of a little girl. Growling, he abandons his defense, just trying to hit the stupid thing. His growl intensifies as the crude weapon slips up in his grip, the blow falling short yet again.

((OOC

Drat, 2 + 5 = 7
    ))

6. - Top - End - #306
    Barbarian in the Playground

Aeroz

Looking at Sedryn's mace, and then shifting his eyes to his very skinny arm, he shakes his head.

"I can't do much good down there."

Aeroz begins to climb the rope, occasionally pausing to see how his comrades are doing.

[OOC: Climb 19 (18+1str)]
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

7. - Top - End - #307

The electrified scorching ray strikes the stone sentinel in the center of its chest. There is a buzzing noise and the smell of ozone, then the golem-like creature explodes into a thousand stone fragments, coating Sheyra, Lumpy, Hajih, and Djital in gray debris.

[hr]
    Coughing, the four of them blink the dust from their eyes in time to see a second sentinel loom above them.

Before anyone can react, the second sentinel slashes viciously at Lumpy, punching through his armor with his claws. Lumpy growls in frustration as he fumbles for a good grip on his stone umbrella, unable to land a solid counter attack.

Sheyra's knuckes are bloody and her back is badly lacerated, but she ignores her wounds and concentrates on the second sentinel. She almost seems to relish the combat, as if she is working out her frustrations on the animated constructs.

Djital's shortsword sparks as he chops at the sentinel's leg, but he is unable to land a solid blow.

Hajih attacks with Thokk's bastard sword held in both hands. Perhaps Thokk's spirit is guiding his hands, because Hajih leaves large gashes in the stone as he slashes.

Linda (still down in the alley) and the Elthans (up on the roof) continue to pour on the magic missiles, but it is not clear how long they can keep up the barrage.

[hr]
    Aeroz and Callos climb to relative safely among the smaller members of the party. They crouch on the sloped stone roof, which has been carved to mimic thatch.

They watch their companions bravely attempt to hold off the sentinels, cheering as one is obliterated by Achkby's scorching ray. Triumph turns to terror, however, as the roof shudders and a boom sounds from the other side of the roof.

Giant stone claws dig into the roof, as a sentinel climbs up out of the alley, bypassing the melee down below ...

OOC:Combat notes posted in the OOC thread.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

Sheyra

Despite the blood dripping from her wounds, Sheyra laughs. "Is that all you've got, ugly?" she taunts the golems, knowing full well they can't understand her. She pulls a potion of Cure Moderate Wounds from her bag and drinks it.

5+7+3=heal 15
    And then they made me their cheif.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Sea of Starry Night II [IC]

Callos

"Stupid stone guard.....oh no."

With a determined scowl the lanky purple robed mage moved into position in between the other casters and smaller folk and the stone sentinal. Determinedly he raised his hands up in a fighting stance as he put his feet into the proper form.

"Get out of here! I plan on seeing daylight again so I ain't staying in front of this thing for long!"
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

10. - Top - End - #310

Darius

"Guess I just can't stay out of trouble" Darius says, with a weird look, a cross between a grimace and a grin.

He unsheathes his blade, and charges the sentinel.
    Currently Playing:
    Lotho Vendara, Halfling Rogue, in End of Ages IC/
    OOC

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

"Thank you, Baravar, for handy haversacks," Lissa mutters as she plunges a hand into her backpack. Scroll of magic weapon... I want a scroll of magic weapon... Her hand immediately encounters a scroll tube. "Callos! Don't be stupid! I need you to read this scroll, I can't see to do it, and all the other casters are busy." The gnome opens the tube, pulls the scroll out and thrusts the magical parchment in Callos' direction. "Should be a scroll of magic weapon, and I'm pretty sure it's arcane; I bought it off a wizard. Slap the spell onto Darius' sword, he's the best fighter up here. I think I have another one of those when you're done with that."

OOC: Yay for the handy haversack's item-on-top property! Retrieve one scroll of magic weapon and attempt to hand it to Callos.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

12. - Top - End - #312

Djital

As the second stone monster steps into the rubble of the first, Djital falls back while pushing his short sword toward Lumpy, encouraging him to take it and use the more effective weapon. He will then run to the rope and climb up to the second half of the party, while yelling at Callos.

"Hey! Since when is standing up unarmed to things with sharp claws your job? I'm gonna file a grievance with the local union of doing dumb things!"

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos DeTerran

"Psh its your fault Djital! Your penchant for doing stupid things has rubbed off on me!"

When he heard about the scroll he spun about eyes wide open and ran as fast as he could towards Lissa and grabs the scroll out of her hands.

((I'll take a moment to make sure the scroll is arcane and if I still have any movement left at all I'll start booking for Darius))

14. - Top - End - #314
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

The umbrella wasn't working out so well, Lumpy was willing to admit that. He took Djital's sword, letting his improvised club fall to the ground. It felt odd in his gnarled grip - he was unused to fighting with a weapon he couldn't get both hands on, and didn't overly like the feeling it gave him. Still years of militia work, and general employment as an orc-at-arms left their mark, as he took the blade, driving the balanced weapon true.

((OOC: Attack!

19 + 9 = 28
    4 + 4 = 8
    ))

15. - Top - End - #315

In the alley

The second sentinel focuses its attacks on Lumpy, who defends himself as best he can with Djital's shortsword. The half-orc gives as good as he gets, stabbing and chopping into the construct, leaving chips and gashes.

Hajih fights side-by-side with Lumpy, blocking the alleyway.

Sheyra spins off to the side and restores herself with a healing potion, never taking her eyes off of the sentinel. Linda covers her by stepping forward with another volley of magic missiles.

[hr]
    On the roof

Callos spins around and takes the scroll from Lissa. He and Darius look at each other for a moment, then Darius unsheathes his sword, and Callos casts magic weapon on it.

Muttering, Darius sprints toward the sentinel just as it gains the roof, and unleashes a mighty blow, shattering half of the stone creature's face. The Elthans refocus their magic missiles to this new threat, blasting it with a flurry of arcane bolts.

OOC: Lumpy hits for 8 damage. The sentinel misses with one claw attack and hits with the other for 9 damage. Linda hits with MM for 10 damage. Darius charges and hits for 13 damage. The Elthans hit for 10 damage.

Sentinel #2 has taken 54 (36 + 18) damage. Sentinel #4 has taken 23 damage.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hajih, Meat Wall

Continuing to slash at the huge stone beast; Hajih calls back to Sheyra, "Get up to the roof, help Lissa."
    Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

Once he had slapped the magic weapon spell on Darius's sword Callos yelled back over his shoulder.

"Lissa do you have any other scrolls? Maybe some offensive ones?"

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

Looking distinctly frustrated, Lissa shakes her head. "Sorry, that's the most offensive thing I've got!" She pulls another scroll tube out of the haversack. "Here's another magic weapon, anyone else need one?"

19. - Top - End - #319

Darius

"Ahahaha!"

Darius cackles with glee as he sees the damage his attack does, he flips it backwards over his shoulder as he pulls it away from the sentinel's face. He twirls the blade in a circle and swings violently at his foe.
    Currently Playing:
    Lotho Vendara, Halfling Rogue, in End of Ages IC/
    OOC

20. - Top - End - #320

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

"Waaaah!" exclaims Achkby as the Sentinel mounts the roof. He backpedals away from it, and unleashes a blast of force without bothering to first transmute its energy.

"Power, Hlal!"

[OOC]Scorching Ray: 20+5=25 to hit, 18+5=23 to confirm crit (if applicable). 12 damage on the 4d6; if it somehow doubles, 15 on a second 4d6.[/OOC]
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

21. - Top - End - #321

Fizahn:

Fizahn starts moving past Darius and the other construct. Once he gets to the other side, he peers over and tries to see how many constructs there are. Muttering about darkness, he comes at the construct on the roof with his "short sword."

OOC: 14 (7+7) to hit 3 (1+2) damage if he hits.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

22. - Top - End - #322

Chimera

Sheyra

The young monk briefly considers Hajih's command before scrambling up the rop to face the sentinal on the roof. She attacks it as fiercely as she can.

Flurry of Blows, attack 1: 11 to hit, 9 damage
    Attack 2: Nat 20, 10 damage

23. - Top - End - #323

Elthan II

Oh dear, oh dear...

Elthan is taken a bit by suprise at the stone constructs appearance on the roof. He walks away from it and cast his favorite spell.

(OOC: Ray of Enfeeblement;
    Ranged Touch Attack- 4 + 2 = 6, miss, but in case- Damage- 6+2)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

24. - Top - End - #324
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy, Half-Orc Warrior

Lumpy reeled back from the second blow, roaring in a mixture of pain and rage. That was two more rents in his armor, the flesh beneath torn wide and bleeding freely. But his burnished plate had seen him through more than one drow ambush, spiders, and a dead priestess - he'd have to have faith it's see him through more.

The broad shouldered warrior kicked back a steel-clad boot, hobnails throwing off sparks as they gouged into the stone at his feet. Stabilizing himself in a moment, he doesn't miss a beat in rebounding and reestablishing his stance. Between flashing claws, he took quick stock of their situation; they were more or less cornered, and it was clear that climbing was no escape. he should have considered that from the start, but it was too late to have second thoughts about that.

Keeping his sword crossed low, and his free arm high, ready to ward blows from his unprotected face with armored forearm, he made his decision. Time. Time was the thing they had the least of, and the thing they needed most. Time for the mages to work, time for the otherwise inept guide to do some damage. They could win this, but they needed more time. Gritting his fanged jaw tight against the ache of his accumulated wounds, he did what he could - stall,

"Keep it up!
    JUST DIE, YOU ILL-CRAFTED ROCKHEAPS!"

((OOC Switching back to expertise, buying some time.
    AC 23, +4 AB

Attack - 20 + 4 = 24
    Too bad they're immune to crits and all
    Damage - 5 + 4 = 9
    ))

25. - Top - End - #325

In the alley

Hajih and Lumpy now face the second sentinel alone. Thokk's sword bites into the stone as Hajih strikes the creature with a mighty two-handed blow. Almost simultaneously, Lumpy thrusts the short sword directly into the center of the pseudogolem's chest. A series of cracks spiders outward, and the sentinel crumbles into large chunks of rock that tumble to the ground, forcing the half-orc to dodge to one side.

A third sentinel marches forward, crushing its compatriot underfoot. Reaching downward, it slaps Hajih aside then focuses its stony gaze on Lumpy.

On the roof

The rest of the party has climbed to the roof only to face yet another pseudogolem sentinel.

Darius whoops with glee as he continues to hack away with his sword, sending chunks of rock flying.

Fizahn fights his way through the sentinel's claws in order to stab at it with his "shortsword." Sheyra follows him in, rushing to the attack after zipping up the rope with her usual speed and grace.

Elthan misses the creature with a ray of enfeeblement, but Achkby strikes the pseudogolem squarely in the chest with a scorching ray.

The sentinel reaches out with both claws, catching Darius about the middle. The pseudogolem then begins to rend his body, like a cat would tear at a toy mouse. Blood flies everywhere, splattering Sheyra and Fizahn with gore.

OOC: Hajih hits with a natural 20 for 7 damage. Lumpy hits for 9 damage. Sentinel #2 is destroyed. Sentinel #3 hits Hajih with a 20 (11 + 9) for 11 damage.

Darius hits with a 22 (14 + 8) for 10 damage. Fizahn is hit by an AoO for 8 damage. Fizahn misses with a 14. Sheyra uses a flurry of blows and hits once for 5 damage (4 + 1). Achkby hits for 12 damage. Sentinel #4 hits Darius twice, with a 24 and a 23, then rends for a total of 34 damage (7 + 9 + 18).

Sentinel #4 has taken 50 points of damage.

(BTW, I don't think that Sheyra can do 10 points of damage with a single blow, so I rerolled her damage.)

26. - Top - End - #326

Djital

"Stupid things are for doin' when ya have armor or a sword, and we're both naught for naught at the moment, bucko!"

As the stone guardian tears at Darius, Djital gasps at the sight of the wounds being inflicted and, without even thinking, dashes up to Darius and takes his longsword, gripping it in both hands and preparing to chop at the 'arms' of the creature.

"Get him away from it!"

[ooc: going to Darius and taking his weapon is a full round action, right? since he has 2 hp, he can't be in any mood to resist.]

27. - Top - End - #327

Fizahn:

Fizahn does a quick roll to his side to get into flanking position against the golem with Sherya. "Die pathetic stone-skinned monster!" He lashes out with his short sword while angrily shouting at the monster.

OOC: Tumble 16 (6+10) To hit 16 (7+7+2) Damage 6 (4+2)
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-27 at 08:54 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

Hearing Darius scream, Lissa's head whips around, blind eyes darting about wildly. "How badly is he hurt? Somebody, either get him to me or get me to him!" She chants a prayer in Celestial, and although she can't see it, her left hand (the one without the rapier) is surrounded by soft white light.

OOC: Burn shield of faith for CLW = 5 hp healing; hold spell.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

Callos could only wince at the sight of all of the blood coming out of Darius but he still tryed to think rationally. He approached Lissa quickly and laid a hand on her shoulder gentley guiding her towards where the wounded man was.

"Come on! If we move him we'll just draw that things attention!"

30. - Top - End - #330

Chimera

Sheyra

"Die.. you... stupid... bastard!" Sheyra yells at the golem as she punches and kicks it.

Flurry of Blows
    Attack 1: 18+2=20, 3 damage
    Attack 2: 8+2=10, 8 damage