New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Sea of Starry Night [IC]

Darius

"Leave me alone you stupid jelly! I'd eat you if I had any toast!" Darius cries. As he spies the ledge his knees sink a little, he sprints foward towards the chasm. Pushing off of the rock with his left foot, he soars across the pit. Landing in a nimble roll he stands up and brushes himself off.

If he goes after Trinark he grabs the drows hands, attempting to pull him up out of the darkness.

((14+5=19))
    Currently Playing:
    Lotho Vendara, Halfling Rogue, in End of Ages IC/
    OOC

2. - Top - End - #872
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think it's a DC 15 Ref save to catch the lip...

Achkby, Flying Halfling Sorcerer

With his new, increased speed, Achkby underestimates his jumping aptitude and flings himself quite a bit more vigorously horizontally than vertically.
    In fact, he flings himself forward with such alacrity that he goes hurtling by those party members who came down just on the far side of the chasm ("Waaaa!"), and crashes to a sliding, skidding landing nearly twenty feet past them.

Panicking as he sails into the duskiness further down the tunnel, he quickly hops to his feet and backpedals up the tunnel to the group.
    "Wagh," he pants to the group over his shoulder. "Did we lose it?"
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

3. - Top - End - #873
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hajih, Disarmed Ranger

Hajih jumps, scrambling in mid-air and lands on the far edge, almost tipping over but righting himself. He moves a short distance so to give others room to land

"Jump this you stupid scum, No offence meant Lumpy"

(Jump check: 10)
    Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'

4. - Top - End - #874
    Halfling in the Playground

Djital

"Aeaaaaah!!!" He runs as fast as he can for the last few steps before the edge and leaps out over the chasm, kicking off from the edge at the last moment. Pebbles of rock crumble under his feet and bounce down into the darkness as he lands and scrambles to safety. "Where's the rope?" He places both the pack and the bedroll on the ground far away from the edge, and looks around for either a length of rope or the net.

[ooc: rolled an 11, my jump check seems to be +3]

5. - Top - End - #875

Elthan II
    ------------

Elthan looks at the snake wrapped on his arm
    "Sometimes I wish you where a toad."

The snake hisses back something that is seemingly as sarcastic.
    "Hey, thats a low blow! Here goes everything.."

Elthan jumps the chasm, almost lossing his footing on edge, but catching himself by pushing forward into a small run. He stops and turns around.

"I still think our idea would have worked...."

(OOC: Jump--> 11 - 1 = 10
    And yah, Elthan doesn't know toads increase hp, not jump. But it make sence..)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

6. - Top - End - #876

Lizardkin Druid
    Standing at the back, he had been observing the ooze's progress as the others traversed the chasm. He looked expectantly to Sheyra and one of the driider-man who remained on this side. He makes a pushing motion with both his hands indicating that she should go.

He rests a hand on a wall, getting a 'feel' of the changed environment and turns back to watching the ooze.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

7. - Top - End - #877
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Sea of Starry Night [IC]

Callos

After seeing the elf make it across the purple robed mage stepped back and rubbed his hands together for a moment. Then closing his eyes he took a running jump the moment his feet felt the edge of his side. It seemed like he hung in the air for a couple seconds before he opened his eyes just in time to land safely on the other side.

"Well...that wasn't so hard."

((OOC: +1 on Reflex but rolled a 19))
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

8. - Top - End - #878

Sheyra, Linda, and Elthan I have no trouble leaping across the chasm.

The lizardman checks the walls to see if he might be able to collapse the passageway, but finds them structurally intact.

As the black pudding closes on him like a pitch black tsunami, the lizardman turns tail and leaps across, joining his companions.

[hr]
    Trinark, encumbered in Sedryn's plate armor, is the only member of the party who doesn't clear the gap. He scrabbles for some sort of handhold, but his gauntlets find no purchase, and he slips over the edge into the darkness.

Like lightning, Darius reaches out with both hands, grabbing Trinark's wrists. The archer is almost dragged over with the drow, but other helping hands grab onto Darius stabilizing him. Trinark's fully armored weight almost pulls Darius' arms out of his sockets, but the archer holds on grimly.

The black pudding oozes to a halt on the other side of the gap, sending out probing pseudopods. Trinark is pulled to safety, and the party watches as the ooze waves its "arms" impotently from across the chasm.

[hr]

The party catches its breath and marches on at a less pressured pace, eventually reaching a series of bends in the passageway. The walls are pierced with arrow slits, and it becomes clear that this area was used as a defensive position once long ago.

At the end of the passage is a barred, reinforced steel and stone doorway. After Fizahn checks it for traps, Lumpy lifts the bar and the door is opened.

On the other side is a non-descript cavern. The door has been cunningly worked so that once the door is closed, it is almost imperceptible from the other side.

The party leaves the drow passages behind and explores a series of natural caverns, which eventually lead to an cave opening that in turn leads to a ledge overlooking the Glimmersea.

The faint glow from the "stars" above illuminates a secluded cove a hundred feet down. The cove is simply a small semicircular pebbly beach enclosed by sheer stone cliffs. A crude dock is visible at the end of a long stone pier that extends away from the beach.

Crude footholds have been carved into the stone cliff, leading downward to the pier ...

9. - Top - End - #879
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

"Ha! I told all of you that Djital and I could find our way to the ferry if we had enough time to remember!"

Callos looks around at his captors proudly with a hand on his waist even as he turned to the Glimmersea with relief evident in his own eyes as he did.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

10. - Top - End - #880
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trinark, Drow Cleric

"Darius, thank you. I guess I was more tired than I realized."

To everyone: "Thanks for saving me...again."

[After the group reaches the Glimmersea.]

"We should be very cautious. I don't expect it to be easy to secure passage across the Sea."

11. - Top - End - #881

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

Achkby approaches the ledge, looks down, and gulps. He retreats a few steps, and says weakly, "Well, there are handholds down. But if we're going down... I think maybe we should bring out that bracelet."
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

12. - Top - End - #882

Chimera

Sheyra

Sheyra sighs with relief upon seeing the dock. Finally, we can get out of this hole, she thinks as she walks down the steps.
    And then they made me their cheif.

13. - Top - End - #883

Darius

"It was nothing Trinark."

Darius lets out a sigh of relief as he sees the dock. "Maybe they'll have some food, let's get down there."

Darius looks around to see if there is a clear path or some sort of stairway leading down, if there is he will start to cautiously step down it.
    Currently Playing:
    OOC

14. - Top - End - #884

Aeroz

"SKY!!! BEAUTIFUL SKY!!!" Aeroz exclaims after spending gods know how long in the lightless underdark.
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

15. - Top - End - #885
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hajih, Human Ranger

Hajih looks at Aeroz with a single raised eyebrow "That’s not the sky, just a rather distant ceiling to this cavern with glowing rocks, hence the name 'The Sea of Starry Night."
    Lords of Madness:

16. - Top - End - #886

Aeroz

"I am aware of that. I just really needed to get that out of my system before I make an ass of myself when we get to the dock."

Spoiler
    Show

JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

17. - Top - End - #887

The footholds carved into the rough stone cliff are servicable, but it will still be a challenging climb down a hundred feet to the beach.

OOC: One last obstacle before reaching the beach and the dock. Anyone who chooses to climb down the rocks needs to make five DC 10 Climb checks successfully. If you fail one, I'll need to know which one it was, since that will determine how far you fall ...

18. - Top - End - #888
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hajih, Human Ranger

Hajih adjusts his hat then climbs down the cliff at an incredible rate.

((Climb Checks: 19, 12, 27, 11, 26))
    Lords of Madness:

19. - Top - End - #889

The lizardkin waits for everyone to climb down before climbing down himself lastly. He suspiciously studies the jetty and surroundings for signs of and hostiles.

OOC: If there is enough rope, I think the others should tie it around their waists and let me and the others on top belay them as they climb down so they don't fall. In any case since i'm the last, there's no rope for me and i failed my 3rd roll so I DO fall.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

20. - Top - End - #890

Djital

Glancing around the surroundings briefly, the shirtless man carefully places the Gnome luggage on the ground. "I think the safe bet for these is the guy who can fly." He nods to the party members remaining on the ledge, and if no one has any rope available, he weaves his sword into the belt of the pants, and starts to painstakingly make the descent. Talking in a falsely cheerful voice as his head dissapears below the level of the ledge, "Hey Callos, about those useless spells you had available- feather fall didn't happen to be one of them, did it?"

[ooc: +2 added to rolls in advance. This looks interesting. :-X

Roll 1: 20.
    Roll 2: 3.
    Roll 3: 13.
    Roll 4: 13.
    Roll 5: 19.]

21. - Top - End - #891
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

Once Djital sets down her luggage, Lissa immediately opens her pack and pulls out a coil of hemp rope and a gnome-sized climbing kit. "I really think we should tie a rope to something up here first... I mean, I've been breaking, entering and exiting through top-floor windows for years. That cliff looks marginally climbable without one, but..." She shrugs.

Cinching her harness tight, the gnome finds a secure-looking place to tie her rope, and discovers a problem. "Dang, this'll barely reach halfway down. Anyone got another fifty feet or so of rope?"

OOC: Assuming somebody has another fifty feet of rope, I made a couple Use Rope checks: one to tie the two together securely, and one to fasten it onto a rock or something. Oddly enough, both came out as 22.

Use Rope checks: 22, 22

EDIT: One of these days I really am going to learn to double-check previous posts before I post.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

22. - Top - End - #892

Chimera

Sheyra

Sheyra digs through her pack. "Ah, here we go," she says, pulling out 50 feet of silk rope. "That should about do it." She hands the rope to Lissa.

23. - Top - End - #893
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

"Thanks, Sheyra! This should make the climb a lot safer for all of us." Her nimble fingers quickly tie the two ropes together securely, and the combined rope to a rock outcropping. "Oh, whoever's going to use that levitating bracelet, would you untie the rope when you come down?" Lissa picks up her pack and bedroll, stuffing the latter into the former and strapping the pack on her back. She checks her climbing harness one last time, then hooks it onto the rope and starts down.

OOC: Climb checks: 22, 22, 12, 20, 12
    Again, very happy I took all those Climb ranks. If Achkby or Fizahn want to use the climbing kit, somebody can either fetch it up with mage hand or Lissa can tie it to the rope and somebody can pull it up. Climbing kits are sized, so I'm afraid only the small folks can use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

24. - Top - End - #894

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

Achkby shifts around uneasily as people begin to descend, and then finally asks Aeroz, "Seriously, guys. How well does that bracelet work?"
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

25. - Top - End - #895
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Lumpy shrugs,"Well enough ta lift me and all the crap I was dragging around. It'd prolly hold three or four'a the skinnier folk. Ya can have it if ya like, I can climb fine."

Lumpy will give the bracelet to anyone who wants it (and a few people could probably use it at once if they hung on, it holds at least 300lbs). Afterwards, he takes a few minutes to strip off his armor and pack it away before he climbs, because he's too weak to make it wearing it.

((Climb +8

))

26. - Top - End - #896

Darius

((Climb +7

5+7=12
    1+7=8
    14+7=21
    16+7=23
    17+7=24))

Darius begins making steady progress down the slope, he starts to shake a little at the beginning and his velocity increases. With a sharp cry he slips and tumbles downwards.

He smacks against a ledge below with a sickening thud. As he begins to roll towards it's edge it seems that the end is near, but as he slips off he reaches out with his hand and grasps the edge. Holding on to practically nothing he hoists himself up painfully.

Despite his aching back and bleeding palms he climbs
    down the rest surprisingly well.

((That's a nice little website Phasm, I think I'll use that from now on. [link]http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=310112[/link]))
    Currently Playing:
    OOC

27. - Top - End - #897
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

As Djital begins to clmb down, Callos snorted and shook his head.
    "No one of my useless spells is not feather fall. We have to do this the hard way." And with that Callos went to the edge and fitted his hands into the hand holds. It took a supreme effort of will not to look down into the bottom of the cliff but the man moved resolutely down the cliff. He made sure to keep close by the rope incase his hands did slip and he was glad he did. Because near the bottom a hand hold he was holding crumbled and he crashed to the bottom of the cliff.

((Results: 19, 19, 10, 9, 6)

28. - Top - End - #898

Aeroz

Aeroz follows the rope lead down.

[OOC: Climb checks in order with +2 from rope - 22, 14, 11, 7]

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #899
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trinark, Drow Cleric

Trinark will also remove his armor and use the rope to assist his climbing. Lesson learned last time...

Climb checks: 13, 16, 19, 16, 9 (vs. DC 10)

[Failed the last one. Damage?]

30. - Top - End - #900

Chimera

Sheyra grabs the rope and starts climbing down.

(10, 13, 16, 20, 18)

She makes it to the bottom without any problems.