New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bbeg Ic

1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Bbeg Ic

Phares rolls her eyes.
    "Enough of this. We likely have little time left. As you seem so particular, master, you should outline our plan. What are your orders? Are we to kill, capture, or fool the intruders, and how?"

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

I think just kill them in any way that their bodies may become useful material, or capture, as you see the opportunity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

"Where are they entering?"
    Inquires Phares, standing as she mentally prepares herself to face the enemy.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

The main entrance.
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

The Tarrasque

The elder beast smiled its evil, toothy grin, pleased with the decision. "Excellent... I'll try to leave something for you to play with, necromancer."

He looked at the others. "Since they're looking for me, I should let them find me. I'll distract them with a bit of chatter, and the rest of you can fall on them. Kill spellcasters first - don't let them get any messages off."
    Last edited by WhiteKnight777; 2010-09-14 at 12:34 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

"I'll locate them and keep an eye on them so we can get a proper ambush."
    Phares spreads her wings, but instead of fire, shadow flows over her and surrounds her, obscuring her appearance and presence so that she might better hide from her enemies.
    "Come, beast. It is time to perform the task that you are so often asked to do."
    It isn't seen, but the smirk can be heard within her voice as she speaks to the tarrasque.

Swiftly, Phares moves through the tunnels, searching for the adversaries, though not staying too far ahead of her allies.

Spoiler
    Show
    Phares will attempt to stay within 180ft of her nearest ally at all times, so she can communicate with them via her telepathy. Within that range, she will scout out ahead for the enemies, utilizing Embrace of the Shadow (in which she has invested 3 essentia at the moment) to remain hidden even if she has no cover.
    Also, note Darkstalker as usual, to negate most auto-detecting stuff.

Hide: (1d20+28)[46]
    Move Silently: (1d20+28)[31]

She'll also have 2 points in Step of the Bodiless (which gives +4 to balance, climb, jump, and tumble) and 3 in her Impulse Boots (+3 reflex saves) for good measure.

Her current soulmelds are listed in the notes section of her sheet.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

The Tarrasque

He rose to his feet, his worshippers scattering like insects as he stretched, his armored hide scraping the edges of the cavern as his bulk unfolded from the ground. He grinned even wider, and his eyes glittered evily. "Careful, half-breed. You don't want to sound like you're giving me orders." He said, at once playful and deadly serious. He stalked towards the main entrance, not even bothering to try to hide. He would wait a little out of sight of the main entrance, just enough for them to get into the mines and unable to quickly escape. Then they would deal with the interlopers at leisure.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

"I'll go fetch that little catgirl tart of yours, shall I?" Tatzel asks Maekrix. Normally she'd be annoyed at her advice being disregarded, if only for the sake of being contrary, but she knows when to abandon a lost cause. She can always gloat later if it turns out she was right. "Smelled her coming back in a couple hours ago. We wouldn't want to miss out on all the fun, would we now..."
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

Martin watches the altercation with amusement. "Just give me a moment to prepare. Moulder, my dear, get ready in the back."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Casting divination to ask what the best energy resistance for the upcoming combat to have would be, then grabbing that with energy immunity.
    Then, Rod-Extended Surge of Fortune+Moment of Prescience, as well as a shield of faith, for a total of +6 to AC (44).
    Meanwhile, Moulder will retreat to about 200' from the entrance, making sure she has a clear line to the entrance. She'll turn on invisibility, then a protection from energy of the same type as Martin's energy immunity, shield, fist of stone, & stoneskin.
    Meanwhile, Martin just waits in the same general area as our (very) large friend, not much for subtlety when he's so prepared, though back & away enough that he's not in the way.
    Last edited by Gorgondantess; 2010-09-14 at 04:52 PM.
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I'd complain about the tart comment, but it's totally true.

Emily was in her room, on the bed. Dressed, but asleep, although not deeply.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

There is a heavy scratching sound outside Emily's room, the kind of sound that things with claws and scales make when they knock on doors. You don't even want to think about what it's doing to the wood, or how much it'll cost to have it repaired.

"Wakey wakey, little kitty," croons a singsong voice, a caricature of an elderly woman's voice, Tatzel Gorynch's voice. "The Master's got treats for us, and he'll be very disappointed if you don't show. Open up, precious, and let us in."

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

"Mrrrr.... whozat? What?" said Emily, slowly waking, and then jolting to alertness. "What's happening? I'm awake. I wasn't asleep."

She stood up, headed over to the door and opening it.
    "Ooooh, it's you. What were you saying?"
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Outside, the corridor is full of dragon. Dripping-wet, foul-smelling, legless dragon. A single eye in the wall of scales regards Emily with amusement. "Of course you weren't asleep, pretty little morsel. You know, you smell particularly delectable when you're drowsy..." The worm's nostrils flare as she breathes in deeply, inhaling the scent.

"Lucky for you, Tatzel Gorynch is telling the truth today! The master really does want you, not that we didn't both know that already," she sniggers. "He's got some folks knocking on his door and askin' to poke around. The Golden Flame, as a matter of fact. He told them there weren't anything to find, but they didn't listen. Offends him terribly to have his word doubted, and of course he can't have them finding out that he really is a lying little snake, now can he? Nothing for it now but to eat them all."

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

She gave a dazzling smile at the dragon's taunting. It was all true, so she couldn't really care less.

"Let's go then." she said. "Wouldn't wanna miss the fun."

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

"No we wouldn't." Tatzel gives up on her attempts to frighten the catgirl. The silly bint was either too oblivious to sense the danger, or foolishly courageous... or else smart enough to figure out that Maekrix must have enough of a hold on Tatzel Gorynch to keep her from devouring his other servants. Otherwise there wouldn't be nearly as many dwarves living in the caverns.

Damn necromancers.

The dragon's serpentine bulk slithers out of the hallway with more speed than you'd expect from something that big, leaving the hallway clear for Emily to follow.
    Last edited by The_Snark; 2010-09-15 at 04:32 AM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

She giggled slightly, and wondered how badly things would end if she flirted with the horrific creature.
    With regret, she decided she'd be wasting her time, and went to follow her. On the way, she stopped in the next room and awoke Jessica, before they both headed for the rest of them.

17. - Top - End - #77

Phares has no trouble following the Golden Flame members trail in the begginning, untill something very strange happens. Most of the foot prints simply vanish, and are replaced by a single trail of huge clawed foots.

The mystery solves itself when several minutes later Phares catches a glimpse of her targets. One huge golden dragon advances carefully trough the tunnels, circled by nine winged angels of both genders the elf and dwarf floating between them. Except that it just looks like a dwarf as Phare's true sight reveals another elvish creature below.

One of the angels also clearly stands out among the others. The others wear chainshirts and wield guisarmes while the other has no armor besides refined clothes and holds a massive adamantine mace at her belt. He also looks shligtly taller and definetely more imposing/confident than the others.

The elvish leader also reveals to have bright red eyes, almost as if they were in fire, when under the true seeing effect.

All of them are cloacked by invisibility altough it doesn't really disturb Phaere's sight.

Then as Phares observes the group, the dragon stops walking and the other members immediatily stop with him. The dragon makes a move with it's head and the elvish leader aproaches, and they seem to be whispering something to each other

Spoiler
    Show

Listen check if you wanna hear them.

Also if the Tarrasque wants to aproach from under earth whitout making everything tremble roll a move silently check.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Phares

Annoyed that she may have been discovered so quickly, Phares attempts to listen in, hoping that she was mistaken.

Spoiler
    Show
    Listen Check: (1d20+35)[49]

I assume they're within 210ft, so excluding some bizarre circumstance, Phares will definitely hear what is being said (given the base DC for whispering is 15+1 per 10 feet, and at minimum, I'm going to roll 36).

Also, what types and intelligence scores do they all have, given that Phares has mindsight and is likely within 180ft?
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2010-09-18 at 06:03 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79

I've heard something behind us.

You sure? I didn't see or hear anything.

Not a stray worker then. Probably hidden by some illusion, out of range of true sight. We need to get closer.

You go first, we'll cover you.

Spoiler
    Show

Fiery eyes elf-17 Int
    Gold Dragon-18 Int
    Other elf-16
    Mace angel-18
    Guisarme angels-17 Int

Last edited by Oslecamo; 2010-09-18 at 06:13 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Phares

Being discovered would be bad. Though only one entity heard something- if they couldn't find anything, it might be disregarded.

On the other hand...

Phares smirks. She knew exactly where they were, and where they were going. Instantly, her thoughts flicker out to her allies, giving them the knowledge she had, the number of the enemy, their position, their destination within the mines.

This could be a perfect chance to attack. They might be wary, but we could surround and deal with them exactly was we want to.
    She concludes, waiting for the judgment of the others before she does anything else.

Spoiler
    Show
    If the enemies get too close (within 125ft), Phares will instantly teleport away from them, and to her allies. Given that her greater teleport is a spell-like ability, there shouldn't be anything for them to detect in terms of sound, light, or movement.
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2010-09-18 at 06:23 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

Draw them towards us.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Bait. Well, she gets all the fun tasks, doesn't she?

Phares begins backing off, moving as silently as possible while remaining unseen, but trying to leave just enough trace that the dragon would notice her again, and hopefully follow. She tries to make it slow and seem more methodical, as if she wasn't retreating so much as just keeping an even distance, so that hopefully they'd continue following her, perhaps even speed up and right into the trap she was laying for them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Phares will back off to her team to lure the enemy in.
    Current Essentia Placement:
    Embrace of Shadow: 3
    Silvertongue Mask: 4
    Incarnate Avatar: 1

Here are hide and move silently if I need them:

Hide: (1d20+28)[34]
    Move Silently: (1d20+28)[39]

More importantly though, a Bluff roll to try and trick them to act the way I want and keep them unawares.

Bluff: (1d20+41)[61]

23. - Top - End - #83

The gold dragon falls for Phares subtle trickery, as he doesn't seem to notice the source of the sound moving more and more inside the cave while keeping the same distance, and his allies follow.

Eventualy Phares turns around the corner, and the dragon goes after her...

Situation
    Spoiler
    Show

Crunch:
    Spoiler
    Show

Players can start at any position of their choice in the light blue area. You have a suprise round to act, and roll iniative in advance please.

Big yellow ball=gold dragon
    Orange balls=lesser angels
    Grey ball=mace angel
    Blue Ball=elf disguised as dwarf
    Red ball=red hair leader

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

Init:(1d20+5)[11]

Spoiler
    Show
    For all the good it'll likely do me, I'm invisible as per walk unseen.

Hidden from most people's view, Maekrix hovers a few inches off the ground, and as soon as the dragon comes into view, he begins muttering dark words rapidly under his breath. Soon, a wall of fire separates the dragon from his allies.

Spoiler
    Show
    Invoking Wall of Perilous Flame. Operates as Wall of Fire, but half the damage is supernatural (meaning unaffected by Fire Resistance). Also, I pick the side with the angels for dealing damage out of the wall itself.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Emily's wings fluttered briefly, and then the catgirl rose slightly up and forwards, before she held out her hands and launched several bolts of dazzling white energy towards the dragon.

Her companion, meanwhile, murmured something quietly to herself, an aura of strength covering her, before a feeling of flame and heat and a blast of wind surround her, her form becoming demonic. Great, leathery wings unfold from her back, and she rises a little into the air.

Spoiler
    Show
    Jessica, my thrall, casts Bull's Strength on herself (duration eleven minutes), and then activates her avatar form (duration seven minutes). She then flies 30ft up. She is in space !14.

Emily is in Y13. She flies forwards to R13, and up 30ft (Or to the ceiling, whichever is less).
    She then attacks once with each hand, with Mind Arrows at the dragon.

Attack One - (1d20+28)[31]
    Attack Two - (1d20+28)[30]

Damage One - (1d8+13)[20] + (3d6)[12]
    Damage Two - (1d8+13)[16] + (3d6)[15]

The 1d8+13 is positive energy damage (It damages undead and living equally, though.) May I start psionically focussed? If so, it's +3 damage each.
    1d6 is from Exit Wound-if anything is behind the dragon, it's attacked again.
    1d6 is from Screaming. Sonic damage. The 'arrows' cut the air and make noise.
    1d6 is from Explosive. Fire damage. Anything within I think 5ft requires a reflex save or also takes 1d6. The dragon also needs a reflex against another 1d6.

Crit range is 20 x3.

Initiative for Emily - (1d20+12)[27]
    Initiative for Jessica - (1d20+7)[25]

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

The Tarrasque

Bursting from beneath the earth in a shower of dirt and stone, the Tarrasque falls upon the gold dragon, teeth gleaming. "It's been ages since I've tasted dragonflesh. I hope you don't get stuck between my teeth." He said with a leering grin. He struck with fang and claw, falling upon the unfortunate dragon in a berserker frenzy, heedless of danger, seeking only to rend and tear and kill.

Spoiler
    Show

I've got pounce, so full attack on the charge. Using Leap Attack and Shock Trooper, yadda yadda, murder time. Reducing armor by 14 for +14 to damage on every attack.

Vitals
    HP: 307
    AC: 17 (31)
    DR: 17/-
    Resistances: 14 for the 4 standard elements
    SR: 39 + MoL Spell Deflection + Carapace
    Initiative: "Bite" - (1d20+34)[52]

Also, everyone, including those immune to fear, need to make a DC 32 save to avoid the effects of the Doom ability (Failing - shaken, fail by10 or more - panicked)

Attacks

"Bite" - (1d20+34)[52]
    "Claw 1" - (1d20+33)[35]
    "Claw 2" - (1d20+33)[37]
    "Horn 1" - (1d20+33)[52]
    "Horn 2" - (1d20+33)[34]
    "Tail Slam" - (1d20+33)[48]

Damage
    (Each attack also inflicts 1 negative level. Ignores all DR, except /-, which is halved.)

"Bite" - (4d8+41)[57]
    "Claw 1" - (2d6+33)[43]
    "Claw 2" - (2d6+33)[41]
    "Horn 1" - (2d6+33)[42]
    "Horn 2" - (2d6+33)[35]
    "Tail Slam" - (2d8+33)[39]

Critical Confirmations (Just in Case. All crits are x3)

"Bite" - (1d20+34)[37]
    "Claw 1" - (1d20+33)[53]
    "Claw 2" - (1d20+33)[50]
    "Horn 1" - (1d20+33)[50]
    "Horn 2" - (1d20+33)[36]
    "Tail Slam" - (1d20+33)[35]

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

First, Martin takes a rod from his belt, and spinning it, a brackish coloured orb that glows a monochrome glare spins around him, distorting his visage. He glides forwards, walking slowly- almost languorously- but still moving surprisingly quickly. Standing before the dragon, he lowers his head and smiles unnervingly. His eyes flash, and the dragon is stricken with terror- whether that terror takes root remains to be seen.
    With that, he winks out of the way.

Spoiler
    Show
    Moving to L-15.
    DC 32 will save or panicked for (3d6)[10] rounds. If it's immune to MA or fear or whatever, DC 28 will save or panicked for 3 rounds.
    Then, anklet of translocation to L-17.

Y-14 then.
    Active spells:
    Surge of Fortune (+2 to attacks, damage, skill checks, AC, saves, SR penetration).
    Moment of Prescience
    Energy Immunity (Fire)
    Shield of Faith
    Holy Star (+6 AC)
    For 50 AC at the moment (Touch 27, FF 45, I believe).

Meanwhile, Moulder flies forwards, hoping to remain inconspicuous.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moving to R-9.
    Active spells:
    Invisibility
    Protection From Energy (cold)
    Stoneskin
    Shield
    Fist of Stone
    Last edited by Gorgondantess; 2010-09-28 at 08:02 PM.
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Phares

Knowing that only the dragon detected her before, Phares quietly drifts towards the companions of the dragon, hopefully while they're all distracted by the sudden ambush and appearance of a giant monster. She maintains secrecy, getting into precisely the position she wants so that when the time comes, she could strike hard.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+12)[30]

Hide: (1d20+28)[42]
    Move Silently: (1d20+28)[34]

3 Essentia in Embrace of Shadow, 4 in Incarnate Avatar, 1 in Bloodwar Gauntlets.

I'm assuming that Phares wouldn't be exactly with the rest of the party yet- she didn't need to go much further around the corner, after all, so she can use her 60ft perfect fly and a move action to position herself right next to her enemies. Say... E 25? That be okay?
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2010-09-29 at 08:54 AM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

The Tarrasque's roar and thundering footsteps echo through the tunnels, utterly drowning out the lesser sounds of a monstrous serpent crawling across rocky gravel-strewn ground. Tatzel Gorynch unwinds her coils and follows in the Tarrasque's wake in a deceptively lazy manner; those slow serpentine undulations carry her faster than a man could run. She begins to circle around the Tarrasque to nip at his prey, on the off chance it hasn't been reduced to a bloody pulp yet, but something draws her eye through the wall of flames.

The hunters are glamered, just as Phares warned, but dragons are not so easily fooled. It is said that this was not always so, that when the world was young many a dragon had lost the prize of his hoard to invisible burglars. But dragons have learned since then. Nine hearts beat loud in Tatzel Gorynch's hearing, so clear that she could point to each one.

She turns to face them, her body piling up as she hesitates; for a moment it seems the wall of fire will deter her. But then she surges forward, and the dark flames part before her as if afraid. The wyrm's bulk is black and terrible against that backdrop of fire, a beast straight out of the fires of hell. Sizzling venom drips from gaping fang-ridden jaws, the scent of sulfur and burning peat assails the angels' senses. Higher and higher the dragon looms, her coils bunching beneath her, til fully a third of her length rises into the air, a serpent glaring at a choir of impudent churchmice.

Spoiler
    Show
    AC 45 (touch 11, flat-footed 45), improved uncanny dodge
    Initiative (1d20+2)[20]
    HP 250/250
    Fort +22, Ref +12 (evasion), Will +14 (+12 vs. fear); add +7 when saving against divine spells; SR 35 (or 40, pending approval)
    DR 12/-; half damage from acid, resist fire 10, resist acid, cold, electricity, sonic 5
    Spells and effects active: Detect Scrying, Freedom of Movement, Friendly Fire, Investiture of the Orthon, Shield

Tatzel begins at the upper right corner of the light blue area, and ends her movement at D-21 through F-23, as close to as many of the angels as she can get. Normally she wouldn't have enough movement to get there, but when she enters the wall she absorbs it and adds +25' to her movement, thanks to the Spellwarped template. I've taken the liberty of assuming she resists the wall of fire—I'm not sure if you can voluntarily fail a caster level check, but even if not, Maekrix would need a natural 20 to succeed. I'll edit the post if that happens, but it won't change my actions (except that I won't be able to get quite as close).

She will then use a swift action to activate Investiture of the Orthon's special ability: all creatures within 20 feet of her are prevented from teleporting, as if by a Dimensional Lock spell.
    Last edited by The_Snark; 2010-09-30 at 04:39 AM.